Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My understanding is that you can keep playing after the end credits roll. However, Giant Bomb said the side quests are lame. The writing misses the mark big time in comparison to Witcher 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The important question no one is asking, since someone said that a reviewer, even though they gave their character the vagina, had them act like they had a cyberpenis, if you pick the cyberpenis are you forced to top? :v:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

I said come in! posted:

My understanding is that you can keep playing after the end credits roll. However, Giant Bomb said the side quests are lame. The writing misses the mark big time in comparison to Witcher 3.

this and the bugs are legit worrying

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same and probably alot of them.

I mean you have white hipster-looking twitter personalities accusing Pondsmith of anti-black racism for making a Hatian gang built around the old racist trope of being amazing hackers so yeah, clearly some people are assuming he's just Some Old White Dude.

I said come in! posted:

FWIW Easy Allies and some other reviewers basically said the exact opposite about the quality of the side quests.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I said come in! posted:

thats the only place i have heard that. i heard the side quests are good for the most part. the smaller ones might be. but lol like i trust gerstman with a game longer than cod.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Guess I'm hitting the snooze button.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The Grumbles posted:

I mean we're going round in circles at this point but it seems legitimate for people to express their disappointment that its stayed so close to the work of Mike Pondsmith, the author.

Yeah it's really weird in the cyberpunk genre when it happens.

Richard Morgan of Altered Carbon fame is a transphobe bigot and thinks that sex is biology when he wrote extinsively about people who could switch sex by putting on a new body by slapping in what's basically a future disk that contains their personality and consciousness into said body. In his work, sex is only biology so long as you inhabit that biology and frequently not even then. He wrote about this a lot and doesn't seem to understand what he wrote.

People are really loving weird and some authors genuinely don't understand even their own genres in which they have written in extensively or their audiences.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but another reviewer said side quests are amazing so :shrug:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So is this essentially a pretty decent modern Deus Ex game? Cuz if so I'm down with that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats the only place i have heard that. i heard the side quests are good for the most part. the smaller ones might be. but lol like i trust gerstman with a game longer than cod.

Dude hated W3, so if W3 is your target for good uh he's not your guy to trust either way because that was never his jam to start with.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So interesting thing about the dialog system after listening to several reviews and some leaked footage that is not obvious: Not responding to timed response results in no response from V, it doesn't auto-select your highlighted responses like one presume. So you have an extra response that is not immediately obvious.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

they seem to be an exception, most of the reviews I've seen (even the more mixed ones like the PC Gamer and VICE) have been very positive about the side quest writing. There does seem to be an issue between the side quests feeling disjointed from the main story, which is a shame, but it's hardly a problem unique to this game
e;fb

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fairly sure Jeff also really liked Outer Worlds writing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pylons posted:

Fairly sure Jeff also really liked Outer Worlds writing.

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1186651948570701824?lang=en

Just GTFO LMAO, I wanted The Outer Worlds to be real good but it was some boring loving poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

outer worlds sucked

i wrote a more verbose review at the time if anyone cares to read words on that but the tldr was that it was painfully average

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

It better dang well be pressing X to keep playing once prompted

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

outer worlds sucked

i wrote a more verbose review at the time if anyone cares to read words on that but the tldr was that it was painfully average

It's the anti-New Vegas, ironically: technically polished as hell on launch, but incredibly goddamn boring in everything from character creation to gear to story to quests. Dull as gently caress.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Outer Worlds is probably my biggest disappointment of the past few years. The lovely writing and the Bioshock-like combat did not scratch my New Vegas itch.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sean10mm posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1186651948570701824?lang=en

Just GTFO LMAO, I wanted The Outer Worlds to be real good but it was some boring loving poo poo.

man i have like the exact opposite opinions of stuff as the gertman

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
well those reviews helped me temper my expectations.. looking forward to play this okay videogame with 30 fps :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

It's the anti-New Vegas, ironically: technically polished as hell on launch, but incredibly goddamn boring in everything from character creation to gear to story to quests. Dull as gently caress.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Richard Morgan of Altered Carbon fame is a transphobe bigot and thinks that sex is biology when he wrote extinsively about people who could switch sex by putting on a new body by slapping in what's basically a future disk that contains their personality and consciousness into said body. In his work, sex is only biology so long as you inhabit that biology and frequently not even then. He wrote about this a lot and doesn't seem to understand what he wrote.

People are really loving weird and some authors genuinely don't understand even their own genres in which they have written in extensively or their audiences.

From what I've taken from the more socially critical reviews, this game is going to be a perfect example to show how some readers think the genre is more than it actually is and the audience that cares about that is far bigger than it is. Much like Morgan himself is a good example of that in the book world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

yeah but pondsmith isnt morgan. dudes pretty loving progressive and poo poo, its just his universes focus was never the transhumanism side of things, it was always the 2000AD weird corpo hellworld focus with augmentation being treated like cellphones and poo poo. like the cyber psycho poo poo exists but thats mostly "i replaced most of my brain and head with a targeting computer and my arms with a shotgun, everything has targets on it". his stuff has never been on the deep transhuman end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Back Hack posted:

So interesting thing about the dialog system after listening to several reviews and some leaked footage that is not obvious: Not responding to timed response results in no response from V, it doesn't auto-select your highlighted responses like one presume. So you have an extra response that is not immediately obvious.

Yeah that's pretty cool, something I know other RPGs have talked about but a lot of them end up cutting before release. Also Your gun can be pulled out on a button press independent of dialogue, and acts as its own extra response that isn't obvious

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

sean10mm posted:

That doesn't bode well cause obsidian has another first person open world game coming up lol.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

can someone who has preordered and is excited for this game please explain why this webm does not temper your expectations? its not the floating guy, though thats extremely egregious even for a review copy- the combat looks like it was just patched in 2 days ago. the animations are awful and the AI is seriously sub-mount and blade, where at least they understand the range of their weapons. after pinging the guy in the head with a rifle for an entire magazine for what looks like 20% damage, the guy then just pulls out a pistol and 4 shots the player. i urgently need to know why anyone interested in the setting or the universe or whatever wouldnt just read the book that apparently exists

https://puu.sh/GV878/5d338fa574.webm

please. im 100% not trolling and i must know the answer.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Passing a law that only disco elysium likers and outer worlds dislikers are allowed to review RPGs from now on

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

^^ I'm down :hmmyes:

So I'm sure CP2077 has valid downsides, but the guy who hated Witcher 3 and loved The Outer Worlds is probably not the barometer this thread is looking for.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

strong bird posted:

can someone who has preordered and is excited for this game please explain why this webm does not temper your expectations? its not the floating guy, though thats extremely egregious even for a review copy- the combat looks like it was just patched in 2 days ago. the animations are awful and the AI is seriously sub-mount and blade, where at least they understand the range of their weapons. after pinging the guy in the head with a rifle for an entire magazine for what looks like 20% damage, the guy then just pulls out a pistol and 4 shots the player. i urgently need to know why anyone interested in the setting or the universe or whatever wouldnt just read the book that apparently exists

why are you so invested in people wanting to play a video game? log off. take a walk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Simone Magus posted:

Who based his setting almost entirely on the ideas in the works of William Gibson, your point?

Pondsmith says that he based his work off Blade Runner and especially Walter Williams’ “Hardwired”, and that he didn’t read Neuromancer until later. What from his setting do you think came from the “works” of Gibson, specifically? (Ref: https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/roleplaying-game/feature/cyberpunk-red-rpg-almost-killed-us-mike-pondsmith-interview )

In the late 80s there were lots of variants of “cyberpunk” floating around and accessible to even someone in their early teens without BBS access. Neuromancer and Gibson generally elaborated one that has subsequently come to somewhat dominate the popular understanding of the term “cyberpunk”, but it wasn’t the only accepted interpretation when Pondsmith (or Williams!) were thinking and writing in the space.

E: I think that some of the early (think Mondo 2000 and Philip K Dick) cyberpunk ingredients were more thoughtful about where a dystopia might take the issues of gender, sex, and identity than CP2020 was. That seemed to be more side dish than main course in my reading of Pondsmith’s stuff (which admittedly is a couple of years old largely): “this world is wacky and excessive and exploited by corporations so sex will be wacky and excessive and exploited by corporations. huge cyberdongs, sure. next question?”

I think their handling of the pronoun issue came from a place of naive “realism” (if they only hear my voice, someone—especially someone who doesn’t especially care to be respectful—might well make assumptions about my gender), but I’m disappointed that they didn’t make an explicit switch for it after it became clear in the wider discourse that there were more complex issues of representation and dysphoria that were evoked by their decision. I think there’s still a good chance we’ll see an explicit switch patched in; they’ve had “long enough” to fix it if they wanted too, on one hand, but we can see how much else was shipped quite obviously not representative of their completed vision, on the other. A pronoun toggle would be much less work than the control-system overhaul that W3 got shortly(?) after launch, at least.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 7, 2020

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

sean10mm posted:

So I'm sure CP2077 has valid downsides, but the guy who hated Witcher 3 and loved The Outer Worlds is probably not the barometer this thread is looking for.

true, but there are plenty of paper-thin 9/10 reviews to keep this thread happy so i'm down to let gerstmann gerst

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

strong bird posted:

That enemy is probably like level 20 and the player like level 2.

Do you want to be able to one-shot the final boss of the game as soon as it starts if you score a lucky aim shot?

Its an FPSRPG not sure what you're expecting.

You bolding "URGENTLY" is getting pretty creepy. Chill out. If you don't like Cyberpunk cool, stop posting here and go play another game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frankston posted:

So is this essentially a pretty decent modern Deus Ex game? Cuz if so I'm down with that.

If you wanted Deus Ex as a massive open world game, this is that game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

i liked the outer worlds enough but jeff is a bad judge on rpgs in general and honestly most modern games.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
thinking about it this game was straight up broken in april

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i died to a ceiling fan in disco elysium, that was a nice confidence check

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Outer Worlds was the Ready Player One of video games. Empty, boring, repetitive pop culture junk that a whole lot of people that should have known better propped up as being great

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
DO NOT post in this thread if you have any criticism or doubts, only post hype and hardware related questions, thank you

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

strong bird posted:

Lol this vid is sending some really strong Bethesda vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

strong bird posted:

To answer your last sentence, the Cyberpunk books are a pen & paper RPG, there's nothing to read, but its a game you play instead with friends while sitting around a table. Then you give each other COVID-19 because this is 2020 and you should have been social distancing.