Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but this is a huge thread to wade through. What's the best android app out there for calculating cooking temp&time by cut and weight of meat?

I'm a beginner at this, going to try out some fillet steaks tonight. A bit of googling says around 134f for an hour for a nice medium rare? And as long as you don't leave it for like 4 hours plus it won't affect the cook, so I could put them in before doing the kids bedtime and they'll be good for whenever we're ready to eat?

If it works well the plan is beef fillet for Christmas Dinner, then on boxing day when family visit I'm going to sous vide a turkey breast, then finish in the smoker for an hour or two. Slice that up thick, and serve in crusty rolls with some smoked bacon, mayo and a touch of cranberry sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but this is a huge thread to wade through. What's the best android app out there for calculating cooking temp&time by cut and weight of meat?

I just bookmarked https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Looks good, thanks. Do you find it reliable?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Hasselblad posted:

Point deducted from Costco this fall. I had been waiting anxiously for the holiday season so I could stock up on the pork rib roasts, which I typically carve down into 2-rib-thick chops. For some odd reason, this year they decided to have the roasts, but minus the ribs. :argh:

Go to a Costco Business Center. Larger meat section there.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Looks good, thanks. Do you find it reliable?

So far but I've only done chicken and some cuts of beef. I use sous vide because I don't have to put much thought or effort into it and it's hard to gently caress up, so I think there's wiggle room in their recommendations when it comes to time.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Marshal Plugnut posted:

not really an app: https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

halokiller posted:

Go to a Costco Business Center. Larger meat section there.

Headed there tomorrow or tuesday for beef ribs. Already bought the pork san-ribs rib roasts an chop/season/vacc'ed them. On the up side I don't have to worry about the ribs breaking through the bag. Did a pack while still fresh and while it was pretty tasty, I just miss having the rib parts to eat like ribs. An unfortunate side effect being that I am not very good at consistent width, and a couple of the packs are comically large.

Prepared/froze packs of:
- Balsamic/Maple
- Taco seasoning
- "Grill Seasoning" (cannot recall brand)
- Teriyaki (powder form)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 6, 2020

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Just got a meat slicer and did a bottom round roast in a 24 hour bath. Threw it on some kaiser rolls with some horseradish and au jus for dipping. Perfection.

Gonna try to do a pastrami next.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 7, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I really need to invest in a slicer.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Anybody in here use a dedicated insulated container? We use a stock pot with a towel wrapped around it, but my husband has expressed interest in an insulated container, preferably collapsible.

We have the Anova Nano. The containers I'm looking at are from Everie and VÄESKE. I don't want to spend more than $40.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Hasselblad posted:

I really need to invest in a slicer.

I got mine at a pawn shop for 20 dollars. Just had to replace the blade. I'd check those and Goodwill first before dropping a bunch of money on one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Betazoid posted:

Anybody in here use a dedicated insulated container? We use a stock pot with a towel wrapped around it, but my husband has expressed interest in an insulated container, preferably collapsible.

We have the Anova Nano. The containers I'm looking at are from Everie and VÄESKE. I don't want to spend more than $40.

In one of the many or this iterations of this thread someone did the math on a insulated vs uninsulated/lid vs no lid vs pingpong balls vs plastic wrap, and if I recall, the wattage delta came out to like $0.0015 over the course of a 12 hour cook.

As a result, i just use whatever cambro i have that matches the size of the meat needing to swim.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I got mine at a pawn shop for 20 dollars. Just had to replace the blade. I'd check those and Goodwill first before dropping a bunch of money on one.

I would LOVE to snag a commercial one, like they use in the delis. Used of course, because $$$$

toplitzin posted:

In one of the many or this iterations of this thread someone did the math on a insulated vs uninsulated/lid vs no lid vs pingpong balls vs plastic wrap, and if I recall, the wattage delta came out to like $0.0015 over the course of a 12 hour cook.

As a result, i just use whatever cambro i have that matches the size of the meat needing to swim.

I grabbed a storage container from home depot, cut a hole in the side of the lid to accommodate the Joule, and just put a towel underneath and on top. I am more concerned with evaporation water loss than keeping the water at temp.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 7, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

toplitzin posted:

Yeah, same.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have the Everie and like it. I used a stock pot for years but for me at least the rectangular nature is a lot better for the type of stuff I sous vide, e.g. NY Strips will lay flat in there. The lid is nice for stopping evaporation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I used a dremel to cut a hole into the lid of mz cambro equivalent boxes. For 24+ hours, I also have a polystyrene box my large cambro fits into exactly but mostly because the large cambro is actually above the Anova's volume limit, so the insulation and starting with hot water helps keep the strain down, or so I hope.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I either use a stockpot, or for bigger cooks, the 5 gallon orange bucket you get at Home Depot for like 3 bucks. If its a longer cook, I just cover with foil and put a small weight in the center.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Betazoid posted:

toplitzin posted:

I use a dedicated cooler I cut a hole in the top of which was more so for the water evaporation than
anything. I was curious about the electrical savings and tried to do some math. However, as SUBG points out on those post that it doesn't really matter. Discussion happened on this page.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3573640&pagenumber=233

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'll vouch for the Insta-Pot sous vide unit ($80), it's worked great for me the last 6 months and you can obviously also use it in the insulated Insta Pot for a small batch if one wanted to.

I usually just use the Everie 12 qt container with lid.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Honestly the only reason that I haven't gotten a dedicated cambro yet is because none of the ones I can find, even the Cambro brand ones, are BPA free. And no I don't trust soaking my food in sketchy plastic from China.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Isn’t your food in a bag?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Unless it's an egg, yeah, but still.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

but still what?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Maybe they drink the water after a cook?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Honestly the only reason that I haven't gotten a dedicated cambro yet is because none of the ones I can find, even the Cambro brand ones, are BPA free. And no I don't trust soaking my food in sketchy plastic from China.

The translucent Cambros are BPA free; the totally clear ones are not.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I don't trust soaking my food in sketchy plastic from China.

:thunk:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Costco has the Anova kit with the bin for $150, it's 1000W, but is it really worth it over this no-brand for like $52? Does the extra 200W matter much?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd say not in the least unless you're planning to heat up an enormous amount of water. The name of the game with sous vide is long cooks with great efficiency and extremely subtle temperature changes during use, so the extra wattage is pointless except for shortening the 5~10 minute window of getting the water up to temp. If you start with hot tap water instead of cold, you're already a good chunk of the way there

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Costco has the Anova kit with the bin for $150, it's 1000W, but is it really worth it over this no-brand for like $52? Does the extra 200W matter much?
I'd be less worried about the difference in wattage and more worried about the difference in overall quality: mechanical reliability of the circulator, calibration of the thermostat, seal on the electronics, and so on.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with that particular cheap circulator. Just making the point that the extra money you spend on a brand like Anova isn't just on the extra 200 watts, it's the reputation for reliability and their willingness to stand behind their product.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Personally, I'd have a lot of trouble talking myself into buying anything cheaper than an Anova unless I knew I was throwing it out in an international move soon or something unusual like that.

The ~$50 price difference between an Anova and something cheaper is less than the cost of the meat I cooked the first month I had mine, and at times has been less than the cost of the meat I had it cooking in one go.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I like my instant pot circulator much more than my anova. The extra cost of the anova is just for an app or wifi which I consider useless; the wifi one has IoT design problems; and mine fell apart which is why I bought the instant pot one to replace it.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 10, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I'd also point out Anova has stood by it's products for even some of us in this thread and generally had 'good support'

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

xtal posted:

I like my instant pot circulator much more than my anova. The extra cost of the anova is just for an app or wifi which I consider useless; the wifi one has IoT design problems; and mine fell apart which is why I bought the instant pot one to replace it.
There's an Instant Pot model with a circulator? I thought they just relied on convection, like a SVS.

Not a criticism, mind you--the puddle machine I've used the most over the years is my venerable first-gen SVS.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Iirc some goons early on when there were smaller wattage options released had issues with thr lower/est in situations of keeping up high temp with non insulating vessels.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/12/best-sous-vide-immersion-circulators.html

quote:

What we liked: The Insta-Pot Accu Slim is a no-frills immersion circulator that punches above its weight. It heats water faster than more powerful and expensive models, and its temperature control is accurate and reliable. The lack of bells and whistles is a welcome change, and makes it very easy to set up and operate.

Despite being fixed, the clamp fits to plenty of vessels and is designed to secure to one that many home cooks already have: the inner pot of an Instant Pot. It's easily the best affordable circulator that we tested, and it's pretty incredible that you can now purchase a very solid immersion circulator for less than $100.

What we didn't like: The timer function is poorly designed; if you set a timer when you first turn on the machine, it will begin counting down as soon as the water bath reaches its target temperature, whether your food is in the water or not. Then the machine will turn itself off as soon as the timer ends, whether you're there to remove it or not.

Because the clamp is fixed rather than adjustable, it can't be secured to every vessel.

for $79 it's worth a tryout if you are just dipping your toes in and to keep as a backup for the more expensive models if you really start SV'ing a lot.

I've done 22hr cooks for full Chuck roasts, etc that came out perfectly along with pork ribs, chuck and pork cubes for stews or tamales, whole chicken pieces, even thanksgiving turkey parts . Seems to get up to temp quickly and hold it, it's very quiet and seemingly well designed. Setting it is beyond simple but I also don't care about it having a phone app/wifi camera/instagram/tiktok link/whatever and I hear the beeps just fine. Clamping is also no issue regardless of container so not sure about that complaint. :colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 11, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
quote is not edit :newlol:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SubG posted:

There's an Instant Pot model with a circulator? I thought they just relied on convection, like a SVS.

Not a criticism, mind you--the puddle machine I've used the most over the years is my venerable first-gen SVS.

There's a circulator made by the Instant Pot brand that fits on the Instant Pot product, but it works with any pot.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

xtal posted:

There's a circulator made by the Instant Pot brand that fits on the Instant Pot product, but it works with any pot.
Ah, I knew that some models of IP had a builtin s-v mode, didn't know that they made a standalone IC.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Crossover with the bread thread, using my Anova to control my starter fermentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I was invited to help a hunter I know with dressing(?) a deer he shot and got to take home several pieces of amazing deer meat. Does anyone have a resource or recommendation for times and temperature for puddling venison?