Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

jabro posted:

It basically stayed up until they logged themselves off.

shame they couldnt figure out how to log each other off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

veni veni veni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WEPjsqbdo

:v:

I think you are talking about PS Live, which was kind of a nice feature before twitch took over. It was good for checking out games I was thinking of buying.

I still used it even recently on PS4, it was neat to just scroll through and see some weird Japanese game being played so I'd watch it for a bit or watch some Dark Souls PVP.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Celexi posted:

You know what I miss? the Secondlife-esque thing the ps3 had!

The Bowling Game was legit

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Disc consoles are 80% of all consoles sold, there's no way they will be phased out.

as it should be, until I can trade or sell my digital games or digital games debut significantly cheaper to account for it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

'project aethia' looks like my jam, and according to this trailer it's a 2-year exclusive. deathloop and ghostwire are 1-year exclusives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KROCZ1q4OE

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

'project aethia' looks like my jam, and according to this trailer it's a 2-year exclusive. deathloop and ghostwire are 1-year exclusives.

according to my napkin math, that shifts the PS5 .24 points on the console desirability index versus the series x.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I'm on the edge of buying dmc5 special edition but I'm not sure it'll be worth it over the base edition. Has anybody here bought it?

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007

Geo Fixer posted:

I'm on the edge of buying dmc5 special edition but I'm not sure it'll be worth it over the base edition. Has anybody here bought it?

Vergil is fun as hell to play, and his theme is super rad. Dark knight mode is also great, especially if you love smacking tons of monsters at once.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

veni veni veni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WEPjsqbdo

:v:

I think you are talking about PS Live, which was kind of a nice feature before twitch took over. It was good for checking out games I was thinking of buying.

Funny story time. I was briefly pulled into live modding this game at launch because I worked in the same building as some of the guys doing it and my work was slow at that moment. They basically told us to mute anyone being too offensive and had a long list of 'offensive' things.

The tools didn't work right though and after the first day we realized we were only muting them so that WE couldn't hear them. Everyone else could. We were like 'what you want us to do now' and they were like 'I dunno report people I guess and we'll figure it out later'

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 unlocked and so far it's really similar to the first one. Even in terms of outside the basic game play. Kind of feel suckered that I bought this

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 unlocked and so far it's really similar to the first one. Even in terms of outside the basic game play. Kind of feel suckered that I bought this

Based on the trailers it looks like the exact same game plus one new mode. Is that correct?

I of course preordered it even thinking it’s the same game plus one new mode. I’m an idiot but also in love with this darned game.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Gutcruncher posted:

Based on the trailers it looks like the exact same game plus one new mode. Is that correct?

I of course preordered it even thinking it’s the same game plus one new mode. I’m an idiot but also in love with this darned game.

I own a physical jp copy of the first before they finally released an English ps4 version which I bought as well (waited until a sale but still). So this feels like a 3rd copy of the same game.

That's what my first impression is from the about 15 min I played tonight. Maybe it's higher res, the adventure mode is new but feels like it's going to be similar to the old one I never beat (but apparently it's a continuation of the story somehow with the old amnesia chestnut), and other than that maybe there are a handful of other subtle changes. The unlockable skins are literally the same but there might be a few new default ones. Like a pretty bad sonic themed puyo skin (that does spit out rings during your combos which is something)

I haven't touched the new mode and I'm not sure there are many options for it offline anyways? Maybe it's built for online, but it looks like you start with only a few of the playable characters and all at lvl 1.

There might be different playable characters (if so not many, not counting the 6 or so unlockable ones which might end up aligning with the old unlockable)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

That sounds entirely believable. People who have already dropped ~500$ on a new console are probably a lot less reluctant to drop another 100$ or 200$ on games to play on it since they're at it already than they'd be at any later point in time.

I'm one of these people. I'm keen to see what this thing can do, but after dropping that much money I can't quite justify in my head to spend that much on a new game that will be cheaper at some point. For some people, the fact that I spent 500 bucks on a new console means that I'm happy to spend even more on very expensive games, despite having a big chunk of ps4 games to try for now.

This really seems to bother people who take every chance to comment on that fact. Just let me enjoy the console my way, people.

Speaking of ps5 games, I downloaded Warframe which I guess looks and runs nicely, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe this can be my thing for a while, who knows.

Also, one last thing. Days gone seems really good, but the audio is hosed. I hear enemies on my left and their are somewhere to my front/right. Anyone else getting that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Good Citizen posted:

Funny story time. I was briefly pulled into live modding this game at launch because I worked in the same building as some of the guys doing it and my work was slow at that moment. They basically told us to mute anyone being too offensive and had a long list of 'offensive' things.

The tools didn't work right though and after the first day we realized we were only muting them so that WE couldn't hear them. Everyone else could. We were like 'what you want us to do now' and they were like 'I dunno report people I guess and we'll figure it out later'
That's absolutely hilarious. Did you ever find out how they hosed up something this simple so completely?

henpod posted:

This really seems to bother people who take every chance to comment on that fact. Just let me enjoy the console my way, people.
Well, I'm not judging. You go spend your money however you drat well want to, man.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

That's absolutely hilarious. Did you ever find out how they hosed up something this simple so completely?

Well, I'm not judging. You go spend your money however you drat well want to, man.

Ah, yeah I didn't mean you dude :).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The official Dualsense charging station's a nice design, but I wish it had a USB power option. I only have so many power sockets, dammit! :argh:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I saw a deal page on the console storefront, its usually a big box you can click but it wasnt there long, just like the first day of the sale.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The official Dualsense charging station's a nice design, but I wish it had a USB power option. I only have so many power sockets, dammit! :argh:

I have a question. So, unless the controller is charged using USB-C <-> USB-C then it's not gonna rapidcharge...right??, I can only assume, because if you use the included cable the charge speed is throttled by the USB-B power threshold?

So if that's the case then the controller charging dock should charge the controllers faster?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Funny to be spending all this money on new tech only to be left feeling that the end result is inferior to your outdated stuff. Talking less about the PS5 than the way it looks on a new tv/monitor, though the DualSense is worse than the DS4 for PS4 games cause the rumble emulation doesn't feel right (and I can't play PS5 games with my PS5!).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I have a question. So, unless the controller is charged using USB-C <-> USB-C then it's not gonna rapidcharge...right??, I can only assume, because if you use the included cable the charge speed is throttled by the USB-B power threshold?

So if that's the case then the controller charging dock should charge the controllers faster?

You are indeed correct, but rapid-charging isn't really that big a deal for me because if I'm setting it down to charge I'm gonna go do something else anyway. Plus if I'm doing something like watching Netflix I've got the media remote for that. Just hooking it to a USB port and leaving it to do its thing would be just as convenient for me, as it'll live on the charger when not in use.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are indeed correct, but rapid-charging isn't really that big a deal for me because if I'm setting it down to charge I'm gonna go do something else anyway. Plus if I'm doing something like watching Netflix I've got the media remote for that. Just hooking it to a USB port and leaving it to do its thing would be just as convenient for me, as it'll live on the charger when not in use.

Just wanted to confirm. I might actually try to grab one of those chargers since it seems like there's actually some real benefit to it and I don't have any USB-C to USB-C cables lying around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Have people had problems getting HDR to look good/right on the PS5?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Geo Fixer posted:

4k60 is worth the upgrade alone. But you also get Vergil and Vergil loving owns. Also, you can play every mission as every character.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Rinkles posted:

Only with Assassins Creed, which looks incredibly dark and washed out.

Demon's Soul's, Miles and CoD all look great with HDR.

I'm using an LG C8 OLED.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pitwar posted:

Only with Assassins Creed, which looks incredibly dark and washed out.
From what I've been reading in various threads recently, that isn't a problem with the PS5 so much as with Ubisoft's implementation of HDR. All their games apparently suffer from that effect.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rinkles posted:

Looks excellent for me so far. I wrote a minor effortpost a few pages back, hit the question mark under my post to find it (on mobile so can't easily do so myself)

Edit: Off mobile so here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=510508536

The tl;dr is some games just aren't great, but in general you need to have your display set up properly and the display needs to be of a sufficient quality that it can handle HDR and not wreck everything (i.e. needs some variant of FALD for example)

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 8, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ah well I tried it with AC Odyssey, maybe it has the same problem.

Horizon looked decent, but not jawdropping.

(can't test PS5 games since none will run)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Billy Gnosis posted:

I literally called this out when I first saw it. I'm gonna wait for it to be on sale for like $10. I'm still getting through the first one anyway.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I'm on PC now so I went back and linked my post.

Odyssey I felt looked pretty good (played initially on xbonex and then moved to PC) with HDR, HZD looked pretty good as well. It's never exactly what I'd call "jaw dropping" because all it's effectively doing is adding contrast without losing detail. It'll also have more backlighting and have a higher peak brightness, but it effectively should be making things a bit more realistic rather than making it jawdropping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm on PC now so I went back and linked my post.

Odyssey I felt looked pretty good (played initially on xbonex and then moved to PC) with HDR, HZD looked pretty good as well. It's never exactly what I'd call "jaw dropping" because all it's effectively doing is adding contrast without losing detail. It'll also have more backlighting and have a higher peak brightness, but it effectively should be making things a bit more realistic rather than making it jawdropping.

I remember a number of goons singling out HZD as looking great with HDR and it selling them on the tech. I was just expecting more (for reference, I'm testing this on a Q80T).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

Are you trying to use HDR on your LG27 monitor? Their "HDR" is basically a hack and not a great one at that, it's not the true HDR you'd be getting from an actual flatscreen made for TV.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Are you trying to use HDR on your LG27 monitor? Their "HDR" is basically a hack and not a great one at that, it's not the true HDR you'd be getting from an actual flatscreen made for TV.

Oh god no. (the thing gives me enough of a headache as is)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I remember a number of goons singling out HZD as looking great with HDR and it selling them on the tech. I was just expecting more (for reference, I'm testing this on a Q80T).

It does look pretty great. I guess double check and make sure the input is setup (sometimes they need to have certain things enabled for HDR to actually work), make sure you're not on the "gaming" HDMI port, make sure you're based off of a "Calibrated Dark" (or similar) picture mode, and that you did the HDR calibration for the PS5 itself.

You can have gaming mode on in the picture mode settings, but generally the "gaming" ports (if that TV has one) don't work with HDR and the picture modes that aren't based off of "calibrated dark" tend to look really weird with HDR as well.

Finally I'd suggest checking the AVS forum to find a calibration for your TV and see if there's anything there that might help. I got some pretty solid calibrations for my Vizio P75-C1 since I didn't want to pay for a professional one as the travel charge alone for anyone to come to my house would be obnoxious.

Right now my benchmark for what I think good HDR should look like is how Ghost of Tsushima is on PS5 (haven't tried on PS4, might be equally good.) It's absolutely fantastic and does a great job of using HDR correctly and not just brightness shifting. HZD was also great, but I think it stands out more with Ghost of Tsushima's graphical style.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

make sure you're not on the "gaming" HDMI port

That's the only HDMI 2.1 connection.

I'll try looking up some calibration set ups.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
In my experience over the past few years, HDR is incredibly hit or miss when it comes to gaming.

Some games have HDR that's fantastic and enhance the image no end, others just don't nail it and you get washed out images and blacks that are more grey, even using an OLED.

It's a shame, because when it works HDR is excellent, but it's always a gamble with games.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Pitwar posted:

In my experience over the past few years, HDR is incredibly hit or miss when it comes to gaming.

Some games have HDR that's fantastic and enhance the image no end, others just don't nail it and you get washed out images and blacks that are more grey, even using an OLED.

It's a shame, because when it works HDR is excellent, but it's always a gamble with games.

Yeah there's still a huge amount of reliance on the game developer doing it properly instead of doing virtually nothing or just shifting everything way up in brightness to use the top end but not add any actual dynamic range.

My posts have been trying to focus more on addressing hardware problems that can be fixed when using known-good implementations such as HZD (and AC Odyssey which is pretty decent).

Rinkles posted:

That's the only HDMI 2.1 connection.

I'll try looking up some calibration set ups.

It's possible the gaming port on that TV does support it fine - check documentation. As a general concept though, historically gaming ports tend to only work properly at 1080p/60 with no HDR, occasionally supporting 4K/60 with no HDR. Newer ones with HDMI 2.1 I can't speak to, my TV is still from 2017 and I have no need to replace it until VRR becomes more functional and less iffy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had the opposite problem to most people in that HDR always looked washed out on my PS4 but looks great on the 5.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Is it possible that some of you are just used to better tech/ proper HDR before us laypeople got ahold of it? Because I don't know guys I'm playing on a $300 TV and I think everything looks fantastic even the supposedly crappy HDR implementation on some games. Certainly a step up from my og PS4 and the colors definitely pop more and seem richer with HDR

I suspect that me being on a $300 TV I'm not really an AV guy, I have nothing but positive experiences with this box so far though picture included

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He probably just needs to calibrate the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i have no hdr and i must bliss