Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

apropos man posted:

Stupid question: is the only sane way of getting a bounty hunter license (even the base one) to part with real-world money and buy one of those gold bar packs?

I've played about 10 hours in free-roam and only have a pathetic 1.79 bars of gold.

Edit: about 5 hours of my initial play was just grinding to get a permanent horse. Oh how nice it felt to not rely on the Scrawny Nag anymore!

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so you can set up something called "twitch prime" which is where you create an account on the "twitch" website and link it to your rockstar account.

The current perk for doing it is a free bounty hunter license I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

hakimashou posted:

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so you can set up something called "twitch prime" which is where you create an account on the "twitch" website and link it to your rockstar account.

The current perk for doing it is a free bounty hunter license I think.

And $1100 and a horse. Not too bad.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

lmao i'm rank 140 and i never knew this was a thing

i was sitting on like a dozen ingots and who knows how many more i missed by not resetting

The only ones you really missed out on are the few that are legitimately difficult to do. Hideout clears, treasure maps completed, etc. just because they're hard to actually find.

apropos man posted:

Thanks for the good advice. I've done the "take a lady into town" thing but I didn't realise that taking your time accrued more of the shiny stuff. I also did a random "capture the flag" event the other night and that's probably where the bulk of my stash came from so far.

I'm in the mood for a grind so I will continue to do a grind and if it gets overwhelming I'll just stump up some money for a gold pack/bounty hunter license.

Cheers for the pointers.

No worries. Honestly the best advice beyond that is to just enjoy the game. Do what you like even if it's suboptimal. Having fun and making $10 is better than hating it and making $20.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Just had an exciting few minutes in RDO. Playing non-solo, and had a bounty called on me, so I was hellriding all over the far southwest of Armadillo, with 3-5 other players hunting me. Killed two that got close, and accidentally capped another dude's horse. :smith: Only critically injured, but loving deadeye kept targeting the HORF rather than the rider at that range. Close-in targets got levergun split-point in the face. I suspect they were trying to lasso me, but hey, .44-40 has a bit longer range than
a rope. :clint: And I did escape, because I kept fukken running, and never really let anyone get LOS.

All for a bounty of like $5.10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMOk4UuvkYY

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 5, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone know what the actual stats are on the new saddle? They're not showing up in-game.

Have they fixed the wrap cosmetic resetting to the default colour before adding a bunch of new ones with the Outlaw Pass?

There are a whole bunch of things I can no longer buy, because I still have unused and expired coupons under Benefits and somehow this breaks the UI when I view the items they apply to.

They've managed to not break poo poo too terribly the last few patches, what happened? :rockstar:

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

SplitSoul posted:

There are a whole bunch of things I can no longer buy, because I still have unused and expired coupons under Benefits and somehow this breaks the UI when I view the items they apply to.

They've managed to not break poo poo too terribly the last few patches, what happened? :rockstar:

Yeah I have the same thing on PS4, thought that was connected to my expired coupons (why not just remove them?).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sioux posted:

Yeah I have the same thing on PS4, thought that was connected to my expired coupons (why not just remove them?).

They used to.

Also, what were the mystery prizes? I've claimed a few, but I have no idea what they were.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Another bug I think I've found is that I sometimes switch between my weapons when tapping LB to put my gun away. I've only got the pistol and carbine repeater that you get as standard. I can get around this by selecting my fist on the selection wheel but it's annoying when you're in a town and you just want to be unarmed. It may have started when I designated the repeater as my quick-switch weapon. I can't remember exactly when I first occurred.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SplitSoul posted:

Anyone know what the actual stats are on the new saddle? They're not showing up in-game.

i don't remember off the top of my head but iirc it's very good, better than the nacogdoches

probably the best saddle in the game

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

apropos man posted:

Another bug I think I've found is that I sometimes switch between my weapons when tapping LB to put my gun away. I've only got the pistol and carbine repeater that you get as standard. I can get around this by selecting my fist on the selection wheel but it's annoying when you're in a town and you just want to be unarmed. It may have started when I designated the repeater as my quick-switch weapon. I can't remember exactly when I first occurred.

It’s the quick switch thing. I set my quick switch to unarmed and it works like you expect.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

i don't remember off the top of my head but iirc it's very good, better than the nacogdoches

probably the best saddle in the game

Yep.

Upland

Health Core Drain Rate -24%
Stamina Regen Rate +30%
Stamina Core Drain Rate -30%
Stamina Drain Rate -65%

Nacogdoches + hooded stirrups

Health Core Drain Rate -20%
Stamina Regen Rate +20%
Stamina Core Drain Rate -18%
Stamina Drain Rate -35%

Downside is there's a bug (because of course) where it doesn't register as having stirrups, so you mount your horse weird and are easier to throw off.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 5, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saddles looking good > stats :colbert:

But in all seriousness, I'm happy to hear that the absolutely hideous Nacodoches saddle actually has a contender that doesn't look like it was designed by a 4th grader.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

spaced ninja posted:

It’s the quick switch thing. I set my quick switch to unarmed and it works like you expect.

Cool. I'm hopping on in an hour so I will try that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the new saddle can't be upgraded with collectors saddlebags which means you can't carry 7 outfits on it, no sale

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Playing as Sadie would've come with some slight extra complications due to the 19th century being a bit sexist so it would've required a bunch more voice lines and interactions if she was the epilogue character and a total rewrite of the story if she was the main character so I sorta get it but if they could spend manpower on horse scrotums changing in different temperatures they could've done that.

That being said I love Arthur. He's a big soft teddy bear that's also a vicious killer.

John is a bit of a moron but generally a good egg.
I like how the first line of the game about him is his wife saying how dumb he is.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Just started playing and having some fun with the game but have a few questions.

I have the Bounty Hunter and Collector roles unlocked. What should I unlock next? Naturalist looks like more fun to me since I like searching for things and hunting but more money would be nice since I'm always poor. I think common thinking is Trade> Moonshine> Naturalist at this point. Thoughts?

Does hitting the A button in a rhythm make the horse use less stamina? I thought that used to be a thing but it sure doesn't look like it.

What is the best thing to feed your horse to replenish his stamina core. Ginger?

saving up 15 gold is a lot of mf'ing bounties let me tell you.

Thanks.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I'd do Trader. I like hunting so that works. Plus it really makes your camp something to return to. Naturalist seemed nice, but I really dislike not being able to talk to the questgiver to sell "samples" or buy stuff without being sprayed and then not being able to talk to her.

I just started Moonshining, and other than it being a separate house and some (cool) starter missions, it is basically a copy/paste of the trader role.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Sioux posted:

I'd do Trader. I like hunting so that works. Plus it really makes your camp something to return to. Naturalist seemed nice, but I really dislike not being able to talk to the questgiver to sell "samples" or buy stuff without being sprayed and then not being able to talk to her.

I just started Moonshining, and other than it being a separate house and some (cool) starter missions, it is basically a copy/paste of the trader role.

That makes sense to me. Thanks!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

trader is probably the best money maker but it takes some time to grind out the levels before you can get the large delivery wagon

moonshiner is pretty steady and easy money and there's a decent storyline to go along with it but it costs a fortune to get properly set up

naturalist is pretty chill and works well with trader since you can donate the legendary animals to cripps but there's basically no rewards unless you really, really like wearing dead animals on your head

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I was doing collector stuff yesterday and had all of the antique bottles (I used that RDO Collector's map site to find them). When I went to turn them in, apparently it said I was missing one. I went back to the spot indicated on the map which I recognized it because I had been there earlier in the day. This time there was a Tarot card in the cabin instead. No bottle. So now I am short a bottle for that collection, don't know what happened to the one I had and no idea how to get another one. So my questions are:

What happened to the bottle?
How do I get that bottle now?
What the gently caress?

Thanks.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

he1ixx posted:

I was doing collector stuff yesterday and had all of the antique bottles (I used that RDO Collector's map site to find them). When I went to turn them in, apparently it said I was missing one. I went back to the spot indicated on the map which I recognized it because I had been there earlier in the day. This time there was a Tarot card in the cabin instead. No bottle. So now I am short a bottle for that collection, don't know what happened to the one I had and no idea how to get another one. So my questions are:

What happened to the bottle?
How do I get that bottle now?
What the gently caress?

Thanks.

Search Google for the RDO Jeanropke collector map to find items. They reset every day at a specific time and move around. Also some items will be random when you pick them up. So if you go to a coin spot, the coin you get will be random. Same with arrowheads and jewelry i think.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

The Repo Man posted:

Search Google for the RDO Jeanropke collector map to find items. They reset every day at a specific time and move around. Also some items will be random when you pick them up. So if you go to a coin spot, the coin you get will be random. Same with arrowheads and jewelry i think.

That's what is strange about this. The bottle is the only thing listed at that spot on that map and I *got* the bottle yesterday but it wasn't in my inventory when I got to Madam N's. And when I go back to that spot on the map, there's no bottle. Will the bottle appear every 24 hours too? Pretty weird. I don't know what would make the bottle disappear. Are there penalties upon death that I'm not aware of? Did it not "save" to the database online? Has anyone ever seen this?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yeah it resets every day but it'll be in a different location so make sure to check the map

i've never noticed anything going missing like that before but it's possible your internet dropped out for a second and it bugged out or something i guess?

also possible you drank it without noticing or used it in a moonshine recipe

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I like this game. I wish it was better. I also wish there was an online outfit builder so I never had to log in.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

yeah it resets every day but it'll be in a different location so make sure to check the map

i've never noticed anything going missing like that before but it's possible your internet dropped out for a second and it bugged out or something i guess?

also possible you drank it without noticing or used it in a moonshine recipe

Oh god. I get it now. I had NO IDEA that the collector's map was dynamic and changed every day. That is incredible. How the gently caress does anyone find anything without this amazing map? Treasure maps? Good grief. Anyway, I went into the map, found the new location, nabbed the bottle. Sorry for being so dense.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

he1ixx posted:

Sorry for being so dense.

lol don't worry about it, rockstar has specifically made the collector role more complex a few times over now to stop people farming it

thank god for jeanropke!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the best way to grind XP right now? Still Collector?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

What's the best way to grind XP right now? Still Collector?

I think so, yeah. Even if you don't have any collections near complete, just the XP bonus you get on picking up each piece is worth. Then you get into 1000 XP+ per collection sold and it's still far and away the best.

Legendary bounties are good too. Tons of XP for headshotting each man, and you get a chunk as a bonus as well.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Stupid "do a bounty without killing the target or his pals" challenge bugged on me yesterday. Three bounties with no deaths, no completion. :smith:

Actually, *five* where I didn't kill anyone. Killed a horse, dude fell off... gravity is the culprit, yo.

And that loving gator killed me before it ate the hogtied fella, it's not *my* fault.

Another bounty called on me, another "no one showed up to claim it". Ran NW out of Armadillo, no one was chasing so I went ahead and harvested the legendary (and loving aggressive) elk up there.

Rockstar did fix the antique alcohol bug, where you ended up drinking the last bottle you picked up and not the one you selected that you had ten of already.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

Stupid "do a bounty without killing the target or his pals" challenge bugged on me yesterday. Three bounties with no deaths, no completion. :smith:

Knocking out bounties makes them count as dead in some places, stat-wise. You still get the payout for handing them in alive but if you look at your stats or challenges you'll get credit for a bounty brought in dead. I would wager that's the issue.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

fennesz posted:

Knocking out bounties makes them count as dead in some places, stat-wise. You still get the payout for handing them in alive but if you look at your stats or challenges you'll get credit for a bounty brought in dead. I would wager that's the issue.

That only accounts for one of the others, every else got hogtied and left for the wolves. :unsmigghh:

I figure it was just another glitch like the ever-popular "Visit Colter" never activating.

Edit - aww, looks like they fixed the Wilderness Camp fast-travel working before you earned it. :rip:

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 9, 2020

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Did selling single items (rather than an entire collection) to Madam Nazar used to give a bit of XP?

I reached 10 of a number of coins today (while still missing one to be able to complete the set :argh:) so I was selling off a couple of the extras to her and noticed I got money, but not XP. I'd thought they used to give XP, because I swear that's how I used to get XP from things like flowers and cards that I didn't bother getting the complete sets of, but it's entirely possible I'm remembering wrong and used to do that just for the money/got it confused with turning in single samples to Harriet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't believe selling single items to her ever gave XP. You got the XP for them when you picked them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Logged into online. Talk to a guy.

"Kill me an alligator and get me its skin"

Ok

Spend like 5-10 minutes finding it.

Shoot it 5 times and then skin it.

Cool time to bring it back.

Start running towards my horse.

Gator skin just dissappears from my hands.

Look around for a sec, nowhere to be found.

Restart game.

"Lets see how Johns doing."

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hihohe posted:

Logged into online. Talk to a guy.

"Kill me an alligator and get me its skin"

Ok

Spend like 5-10 minutes finding it.

Shoot it 5 times and then skin it.

Cool time to bring it back.

Start running towards my horse.

Gator skin just dissappears from my hands.

Look around for a sec, nowhere to be found.

Restart game.

"Lets see how Johns doing."

Oh, that bug is back, then. For quite a while, there was a nasty bug in that skins/pelts would despawn while you were carrying them - not stuff you pouched, not carcasses, only skins. *Unless* you got lucky and managed to drop/throw 'em before they despawned, or get them onto your horse/into your wagon.

If that bullshit is starting again, I'm back to soloing, because I never had that while all alone. Thought they had it fixed after the Naturalist role was added, hadn't seen it since then. (Albeit, mostly solo.) Imagine how much fun it would be, kiting cougars all over the southwest badlands, only to have the pelt vaporize - without a crash/disconnect/modmenu shitbird to blame.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm in Chapter 4, just did the mission where I had to talk to Sadie.

That's twice now the mission giver has been a bait and switch - first with Tilly in Chapter 2 and now with Sadie in Chapter 4. Don't tell me those people will be the mission givers, then cut them out in the first minute of the cutscene, what the hell?

And I was NOT expecting Kiernan to die like that. I figured he wouldn't survive the game given how I know RDR1 happens, but I thought there would be... well, more something with him. I should've gone fishing with him when I had the chance.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Just started this game a few days ago, it's dope as hell.

Does the game eventually give me a rifle, or should I buy it on my own?

Anything particularly cool to keep an eye out for in chapter 2?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rhadamanthus posted:

The game will actually give you a lot of weapons as part of the story, I think a scoped rifle and the lancaster repeater eventually. It's been a long time since I played singleplayer though.

If you ever see a white colored side mission icon in your camp, do it, sometimes they pop up and you should do them before they disappear.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Rhadamanthus posted:

I'm only in Chapter 4, but I can say this - there are a LOT of incidental conversations and happenings at your gang's camp. Spend some time there. Drink coffee. Chat with people. Have a sit down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Rhadamanthus posted:

You can get a free bolt-action rifle before it's officially unlocked during one early mission. When you go retrieve Sean from the bounty hunters - heading up the pathway under the cliffs, assholes are shooting at you from above, one has the rifle. Might be some specific way to get it, I found out about this online and well after that mission.

There's a bunch of guns you can get before they normally unlock, it just takes perseverance, the willingness to take the time searching every little shack, and/or going to Google and beelining right to the loot.

Similarly, you can get a stupid amount of gold (only in single-player, only useful to sell for cash) chasing treasure maps and hidden stashes and poo poo.

Anything north of the Lower Montana (and that one northern fort), and Sisika Island) is open to explore and loot, as soon as you get the camp set up in Chapter 2. Go to town, start some poo poo, let the story hang while you go walkabout.

RDO last night: one daily is trample five animals. In first 30 minutes in Heartlands, spot three rabbits, and assorted birbs. No penned livestock, even, at Emerald or Valentine. No cats or dogs at Emerald. :smithicide:

Finally get out to the east coast north of St Denis, the mudflats with the wrecked shack. Find some frogs and toads. Run them over with War HORF... multiple times... and no trample.

Back at Heartlands, find some more bunnies and other small critters. Trank them to be sure. Trample not recognized. :wtc:

gently caress off treasure hunting and poo poo, do bounties, get back to my HL camp, chase down a couple deer for my pal Cripps...ooops, ran over a possum. DRT.

I'll note also there were almost no fish that I could find, either.

And the skin-despawn is back. :suicide:

Almost forgot - got bountied again, no markers ever showed so I just hosed off hunting collectibles. :whatup: Ran into a couple folks before that, no one went aggro, they waved and I howled. :unsmith: