Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
There was that bit about Jaimy Foxx's Electro being brought back as well, which no offense to Foxx, fits the op a lot better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

This looks like a scene from one of Takashi Miike's childrens movies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

This looks like a scene from one of Takashi Miike's childrens movies.

I actually though it was quite Monty Pythonesque (and amazing)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Avatar almost singlehandedly (it and Iron Man) ended the era of grimdark post-9/11 blockbuster filmmaking, though unfortunately the style that came after it was even worse.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Titanic was at the top of the box office for months and swept the Oscars and there was some inevitable backlash just because it was that drat huge. But even I was kinda sick of it getting all the awards but I still never thought of it as a not-good film. It really is drat good.

I mean, Triumph of the Will is a good film, that doesn’t mean I want to watch it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’ve never seen Titanic :twisted:
me either, i was in middle school when it came out and the only things my classmates thought was good about it were the boobs (which i only found out through parade magazine) and everyone dying

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Awesome. Now set it on fire like a flaming wheel of eyes and light

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Trying to figure out how Spider-Man 2 is “ashamed to be a comic book movie” and coming up with nothing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You don't have to watch twenty of it to catch the whole plot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A++

(lemme know if you want someone to make them blink in After Effects!!!)

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film is somewhat anti-imperialist, but the actual SMG take is that: 1) it's simultaneously anti-immigration and 2) the planet is effectively an elaborate simulation of nature produced by the Massive Alien Brain-Trees to feed off of peoples' minds.

Avatar's a perfectly normal and average movie, but it's also the kind of movie where every single thing that happens is very subtly hosed up in some way. It's like watching a typical romantic comedy.

hell yeah

therattle posted:

Hey! You’re back! Hi.

wasssssup, i fell so far behind in the thread that i was able to justify just jumping to the current page. and im glad i did cause FS’s Angel is amazing.

btw, i am so close to finally getting to read Against the Day and Age of Extremes

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

:magical:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I dunno if I'd go so far as to call Titanic a masterpiece, but it is a genuinely great movie.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't care much about Avatar, but as far as I remember, its biggest crimes are that it's too similar to Ferngully and Disney's Pocahontas, and it's a white savior film.

It's even more blatant than those

Avatar is like, imagine Dances-with-Wolves but instead of becoming a respected member of the tribe he becomes King Arthur to all the indigenous nations of the plains

I'm all for criticism of capitalism but the racist fantasy undercuts the anti-imperialist message big time imo

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Pirate Jet posted:

Trying to figure out how Spider-Man 2 is “ashamed to be a comic book movie” and coming up with nothing.
you could ask?
and i'd start with the jesus allegory which is the most obvious tell.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

hell yeah

wasssssup, i fell so far behind in the thread that i was able to justify just jumping to the current page. and im glad i did cause FS’s Angel is amazing.

btw, i am so close to finally getting to read Against the Day and Age of Extremes

:hfive:

I really enjoyed Against The Day; it wasn’t a chore at all. I took it on honeymoon with me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
America is in really bad shape, you guys!

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1336427393272176647?s=20

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
spider-man 2 has a goofy montage set to raindrops keep falling on my head, I don’t think it’s ashamed of anything

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't like to dismiss people's takes out of hand but if there ever was a take to dismiss out of hand, "The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies, especially 2, are bad, but the Snarky Northrup Grumman Intern Spiderman movies are good" is it.

The sheer idea that Sam Raimi was ashamed to be making a genre movie is ridiculous.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Avatar is fine but it's also James Cameron's worst film by a mile. I only ever saw it in 3D and, like Gravity, I can't imagine watching it just as a normal movie -- so much of it is all about showing off the technology.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

I Before E posted:

I don't like to dismiss people's takes out of hand but if there ever was a take to dismiss out of hand, "The Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies, especially 2, are bad, but the Snarky Northrup Grumman Intern Spiderman movies are good" is it.

The sheer idea that Sam Raimi was ashamed to be making a genre movie is ridiculous.
and i think someone who uses the..."phrase"(?) "Snarky Northrup Grumman Intern" can be dismissed out of hand.
so: here we are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I think the politics of Marvel movies are completely worth criticizing, but "snarky" is not really a legitimate criticism of a depiction of Spider-Man. Spider-Man is always snarky.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

This is amazing! Great work

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

you could ask?

I have terrible news for you about comic books and Jesus allegories.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I hated Avatar when I saw it in theater, but then I saw some of the footage Cameron shot on his undersea adventures. He talked about how it's like exploring a different planet, and wanted to bring that experience to the average person who can't afford all the tech. Gave it a second shot and it's not bad!

I'll definitely be checking out that CTH episode.

Edit: my favorite part is when Sigourney Weaver refers to a paraplegic as "numb nuts"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I mean, I assume MCU Spider-Man 3 will suck too, but thinking it'll suck because it'll be too much like the Raimi movies is a wild take.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

InsertPotPun posted:

you could ask?

Why on earth does that make it ashamed to be a comic book movie?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

A++

(lemme know if you want someone to make them blink in After Effects!!!)

If it isn't too much of a bother.

I even have a cleaner version where the angel is totally still which probably makes blinking easier.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

I Before E posted:

I cant even believe this is a discussion about the man who is responsible for this

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm1nZaGGUE0&t=99s

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Flying Zamboni posted:

Why on earth does that make it ashamed to be a comic book movie?
artificially pumping up your protagonist by comparing him to jesus happens for two reasons: A: the writer is so full of himself he thinks that it's true or B: the writer desperately wants to grant that level of gravitas to a character and are too lazy/unable to establish that.*
and why do you want your character to have the gravitas of jesus the christ of nezerath?
because you want to impart that to your movie because "it's not just a comic book movie!!"
pointing out that a lot of comic book movies does this doesn't really...disprove my point.
it was clear in the xmen movies the studio didn't like making them ("yellow spandex *SCOFF*), and the third blade film was...
also the way the series went, the studio itself crashing the films into the ground because they wanted them "darker", the studio dictating that kind of thing, causing raimi to leave, is precisely because they wanted to make "real" films

i'm not even arguing that those movies are poo poo (they are) i'm just saying that it was pretty drat clear there was someone around going "oh...that children's movie?"

*I...suppose c: it's a movie about jesus

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m not a comic book expert by any means, but I thought part of the appeal of comics is larger-than-life characters and melodrama, and comparing your hero to Jesus is pretty drat melodramatic.

Keep in mind, we are talking about a movie where Doc Ock hurls a burlap sack full of gold coins at Spider-Man, who webslings it back to Doc Ock while quipping “keep the change!” It’s a pretty comic booky movie that knows when to play serious and when to play silly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress everyone talkin poo poo about my GODDAMN BOY

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ridley Scott initially wanted to make Jesus an Engineer/descended from Engineers in Prometheus but either decided against it or was talked out of it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m not a comic book expert by any means, but I thought part of the appeal of comics is larger-than-life characters and melodrama, and comparing your hero to Jesus is pretty drat melodramatic.

Keep in mind, we are talking about a movie where Doc Ock hurls a burlap sack full of gold coins at Spider-Man, who webslings it back to Doc Ock while quipping “keep the change!” It’s a pretty comic booky movie that knows when to play serious and when to play silly.

Yeah, and the one bit that uses any kind of Jesus comparison is clearly using it as a visual shorthand for "self-sacrificing hero" during the big train scene. It's not like the whole movie is constantly calling Spiderman Jesus, and even if it was, it's not unusual in superhero comics to draw religious parallels to certain characters depending on the story.

It's a super campy movie for a lot of it and talking about Raimi of all people like he's embarrassed by it is an argument I just don't understand. I don't know how you could see the Doc Ock surgery scene and not think that Raimi was having a blast making it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Some people think The Golden Arm wasn’t supposed to be tongue in cheek and silly as hell.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Jesus allegories? In MY comic books?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
like...yeah...that's why they did that: to bring an artificial gravitas. that's my entire point. it was lazy then, it's lazy now. they took a very well trod and unoriginal path. wow. you sure showed me that the trod was VERY well trod and SUPER unoriginal! guys: the acting was cheesy, please counter with other examples of cheesy acting to really show me?

also the main defense of the movies, aside from not understanding me, is that you like sam raimi? ok. cool. that's not a defense of the movies. i like raimi when he fits but he doesn't always fit. that's like saying i can't critique john wayne as ghengis khan because you liked him as rooster cogburn.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 9, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

InsertPotPun posted:

like...yeah...that's why they did that: to bring an artificial gravitas. that's my entire point. it was lazy then, it's lazy now. they took a very well trod and unoriginal path. wow. you sure showed me that the trod was VERY well trod and SUPER unoriginal! guys: the acting was cheesy, please counter with other examples of cheesy acting to really show me?

So is the film bad for being ashamed of being a comic book movie or is the film bad for being a comic book movie shamelessly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is what happens when people are so irony poisoned they can't process sincerity.