Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

He was an amalgam of Ryne's two dads and her dragon grandpa.

Yeah, but for most of the fight he has just one voice, though distorted. I think I heard double for the opening line and will need to check when I run it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Either way it was a good fight

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Either way it was a good fight

We had the dead trying to figure out what was going on and relaying that info to the living. The first two I figured things out pretty quick (though Cloud I still don't know how much leeway some things have, as a bard I didn't need to stand still), the fourth had people who knew the fight marking themselves for follow the leader, that was the one where I got to figure it out on the fly like I enjoy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

The ending shot of the Eden raid is real 'subtle'. :v:

I hope one day's Japanese media companies can reach the levels of representation US media was a decade ago. Having the rest the final shot on a wink wink subtext image in 2020 is just kind of sad

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

multijoe posted:

I hope one day's Japanese media companies can reach the levels of representation US media was a decade ago. Having the rest the final shot on a wink wink subtext image in 2020 is just kind of sad

I mean at least they're doing this with major characters who are the focus of the story and have a big poster doing the same? Idk I'd rather have this than random minor npc in the background who doesn't matter be gay like in WoW. WoW gets no points until Anduin or Jaina or whoever is gay. :colbert:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I fell into a nice familiar groove with the MSQ dealing with painfully Eorzean topics, and it felt like a return to the more grounded escapades of 2.X, so much that I completely forgot half the poo poo that was in the trailer until the last quest slammed them all into me one after another

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

if e12s casts Light Rampant when they junction Shiva, I am going to alt+f4 on the spot

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For Emerald weapon, when he puts the plusses and Xes on everyone, do you need to avoid each other when they first land, or can you group up to make bigger safe spots afterward?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can stack for when they initially get put down then spread out, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

Ah yes, American media absolutely has no hangups about portraying a gay cou-

And certainly all Japanese media is completely afraid of anything having to do with same sex relationships.

(And, again, the characters in this scene literally are acting out Squall and Rinoa's scene which nobody had problem considering romantic.) They could be more overt but "overt" and "romance in Final Fantasy" are not exactly something that goes together very often considering in half the games in the series the most legendary destined lovers do is have a REAL LONG hug.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 9, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes, American media absolutely has no hangups about portraying a gay cou-

I don't think I said American media is infallible, but there's plenty of adult and young adult media with extremely up and front queer representation now and even Korra walked so other shows could run. So I do think there's a substantive different to be made between that and Japanese media, where with only a few honourable exceptions, the default position is still to bury it in the subtext.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For what it's worth, Yoshi P has said his problems when it comes to being able to show more progressive stuff is that Square is a global company and that includes the elephant in the room that is China.

Given how much they go out of their way to let outfits be worn by whoever, keeping the worst of guys cool girls sexy to a minimum, and are supportive of this stuff, I dunno. poo poo's complicated I guess? As is it's romantic to me. :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

multijoe posted:

I don't think I said American media is infallible, but there's plenty of adult and young adult media with extremely up and front queer representation now and even Korra walked so other shows could run. So I do think there's a substantive different to be made between that and Japanese media, where with only a few honourable exceptions, the default position is still to bury it in the subtext.

The biggest fuckign western media giant Avengers: Endgame was loving pushed super hard as big and bold for gay rep was a random extra going "I miss my husband." and captain america nodding stoically. that's not any better than just heavily implying that they're gay and writing to story as if they were and just not saying it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The biggest fuckign western media giant Avengers: Endgame was loving pushed super hard as big and bold for gay rep was a random extra going "I miss my husband." and captain america nodding stoically. that's not any better than just heavily implying that they're gay and writing to story as if they were and just not saying it.

Yeah like, would I like them to say they are gay? You bet. But at least they're teasing main characters. That shot in Avengers might've meant something if it was Cap missing Bucky or something, but nope, thanks random extra man.

Or how about that lesbian kiss in Star Wars where random bridge crew extra kisses some other extra? Such representation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

I am not clear how this is different from American media. I also am not clear why you think gay and lesbian media in Japan is some magical unicorn. There is a whole ton of it. If your only point of reference is video games *maybe* but even then the only reason you might feel remotely differently is that indie games do a whole loving ton of lifting which you don't get to see from Japan because like one in a thousand of their indie games gets translated. If you compared AAA titles you'd probably see better representation overall from Japanese media!

It's weirdly narrow to go "Those Japanese, they only do subtext" when like... no, they don't. They do it blatantly all the time. Even within the extremely fuckin' narrow subset of "Japanese video games and anime translated for American consumption" you *still* see plenty of it. Now to be fair a good portion of that is offensive in some fashion but same goes for American media.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 9, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I am not clear how this is different from American media. I also am not clear why you think gay and lesbian media in Japan is some magical unicorn. There is a whole ton of it. If your only point of reference is video games *maybe* but even then the only reason you might feel remotely differently is that indie games do a whole loving ton of lifting which you don't get to see from Japan because like one in a thousand of their indie games gets translated. If you compared AAA titles you'd probably see better representation overall from Japanese media!

I dunno if Fire Emblem is AAA yet, but Three Houses was gay as hell. :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is Avengers just gesturing towards a lazy token scene it doesn't really care about though, rather than the writers clearly wanting to write a gay storyline but being stonewalled by cultural circumstances, which is the phenomena I'm trying to point out.

Curious about the China line though, is FF14 really that big in China that it has to be factored in like that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
America and Japan are both bad but it's important to demand as hard as possible for them to do better, because now that we're getting good representation, it's becoming more and more clear to me how much growing up without that representation hosed me up, and it's complete bullshit that "we have to bow to China's standards or we wouldn't make as much money" is considered an acceptable excuse.

Every step forward counts and we're 100% correct to demand it as our right.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Huh, it looks like the Void Quests aren't part of the role quest section; they aren't anywhere in the journal at all for that matter. Odd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Huh, it looks like the Void Quests aren't part of the role quest section; they aren't anywhere in the journal at all for that matter. Odd.

They're under Sidequests

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ImpAtom posted:

They're under Sidequests

I totally looked there but I suppose my eyes are worse than I thought! Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

I totally looked there but I suppose my eyes are worse than I thought! Thanks.

No biggie. They're squirreled the hell away.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yoshi has been clear in the past that it's also not just japan he has to think about - it's the big markets in china and southeast asia. interested in what wow china does with its recent additions, on that subject.

that said, the difference between the two is also a difference in tone and voice that the game goes for. 14 has had direct gay people explicitly said as such before, it just also tends to step around explicit romance a lot.

e: consider also that the only actual named married couple that comes clearly to mind is loving godbert and julyan

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 9, 2020

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Looks like most of the ones you didn't mention are from the Cardinal Gods line (Byakko, Seiryu, etc, and one if the monkey king from the second dungeon) The second on the top row is Doom Train, the one next to it is the last boss from St. Mocianne Hard I think.

Also has any one who's finished the MSQ: found more of those towers around the world? I'm seen ones in OLN and the Lochs obviously, but I've also seen them in Southern Thanalan, Dravanian Forelands, and South Shroud, but I haven't been every where yet.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There is also indeed one in Yanxia

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

yoshi has been clear in the past that it's also not just japan he has to think about - it's the big markets in china and southeast asia. interested in what wow china does with its recent additions, on that subject.

that said, the difference between the two is also a difference in tone and voice that the game goes for. 14 has had direct gay people explicitly said as such before, it just also tends to step around explicit romance a lot.

e: consider also that the only actual named married couple that comes clearly to mind is loving godbert and julyan

Are you forgetting about the best couple of Smol Catman and Big Catmom?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't expect too much FF8 they say as the final boss literally junctions GFs

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I haven't even played FF8 but I still burst out laughing when I realised they were doing Draw/Cast/Junction

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hah, I never even made that connection.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On top of that, I learned today that the name 'Ultimecia' was translated differently in different languages. And that English... was maybe one of the ones that got it wrong.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mitron's true name being Artemis just took on extra meaning.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm so glad the second we get back on the source it's full on "You know those villains with pathos and flawed but understandable worldviews and tragic histories and motives? gently caress that, no more subtly. Monsters who ruin everything they touch only!"

it's legit a nice split and a good way to show that even with all the knowledge and power and understanding we've gained some people are still going to loving be huge pricks.

'Burn out the Bad' and the testing cutscene after were....amazing in how instantly they made me enjoy hating this piece of poo poo.

Also the new dungeon has some visuals that blew me away and the final boss's "Knock you up to reveal the knockback that precedes the AoE" was so loving cool.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How colorful the underground section of the dungeon is only made me think of this ancient cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNdKEyuoso

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
will tataru use the ironworks supercomputer for bitcoin mining now that it's hers

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I appreciate how Limsa is so committed to its brand that Merlwyb saying "actually gently caress piracy; it's really stupid to base our entire self-concept as a nation on being a bunch of thieves" comes over as audacious and surprising.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm so glad the second we get back on the source it's full on "You know those villains with pathos and flawed but understandable worldviews and tragic histories and motives? gently caress that, no more subtly. Monsters who ruin everything they touch only!"

it's legit a nice split and a good way to show that even with all the knowledge and power and understanding we've gained some people are still going to loving be huge pricks.

'Burn out the Bad' and the testing cutscene after were....amazing in how instantly they made me enjoy hating this piece of poo poo.

Also the new dungeon has some visuals that blew me away and the final boss's "Knock you up to reveal the knockback that precedes the AoE" was so loving cool.

Yeah, I am 100% in favor of villains with understandable motivations but especially in the year 2020 I'm glad to have the chance to punch a creepy fucker in his face or see him get crushed by a mecha or whatever. They made him so hateable he has to have some kind of special death.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Really digging that the central thesis of the Weapon project is trying to kill us by filling technology we've already wrecked with people we've already killed. The finest minds in the empire.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Eox posted:

Really digging that the central thesis of the Weapon project is trying to kill us by filling technology we've already wrecked with people we've already killed. The finest minds in the empire.

Look, the Black Wolf cannot fail; he can only be failed.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"You can't beat the empire's finest!" *overwrites self with guy i kill while watching netflix*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eox posted:

To be fair I think it is less specifically targeted at us and more targeted at everyone who isn't us. Once the Big Zam Diamond Weapon is mass produced they'll put an end to the Federation Alliance in no time.

And for anyone who isn't us it is an absolute kickshitter of a weapon. It's a stronger-than-Ultima-Weapon tier machine that if you are too dangerous for it can overcharge itself and summon loving Meteor or whatever. Even for people who can theoretically handle an Ultima Weapon like our boy Estinein having to fight five Diamond Weapons at once would be too much.