Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambitious Spider posted:

You Only Live Twice. What could go wrong with bond having fun adventures in Japan?

:stonk:

The crew commentary track on this one is wild. There were some cultural differences.

All I remember about the film itself is that the lairs were cool, there was a gyrocopter, and they scared Blofeld’s cat so severely that its trainer took the producers to court for compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The crew commentary track on this one is wild. There were some cultural differences.

All I remember about the film itself is that the lairs were cool, there was a gyrocopter, and they scared Blofeld’s cat so severely that its trainer took the producers to court for compensation.

I wonder if the film was popular in Japan

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Violet_Sky posted:

I wonder if the film was popular in Japan

Probably. James Bond was wildly popular all over the world. One of the reasons why Connery quit was that while they were shooting the YOLT in Japan, a paparazzi opened the toilet stall he was in and took pictures.

I would too *ahem* lost my poo poo if my privacy was taken from me because I play secret agent in movies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fish of hemp posted:

Probably. James Bond was wildly popular all over the world. One of the reasons why Connery quit was that while they were shooting the YOLT in Japan, a paparazzi opened the toilet stall he was in and took pictures.

I would too *ahem* lost my poo poo if my privacy was taken from me because I play secret agent in movies.

Sounds like he should've learned more on the set, then.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The film opens with Bond faking his death because he's become too recognizable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The film opens with Bond faking his death because he's become too recognizable.

Maybe he should stop telling everyone his real name and also buy a lock.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Cleretic posted:

Zach Braff and Donald Faison have a Scrubs rewatch podcast going right now, which might be a nice companion for watching/rewatching it. I haven't listened because I'd want to do it with a rewatch, but I've got no idea where I could stream the show in Australia.

Stan (assuming you mean Scrubs itself).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hah, reading this I was reminded of The Day Today, which I remember being a fantastic piece of British parody of news reporting in the 90s, and was a big jumping off point for Armando Iannuci and Chris Morris.

But every so often, you get reminded that it was from the 90s in the UK. Big time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

That reminds me of the time George Takei described one of his first film roles. One of his lines was "I am simple Japanese gardener!" Cue the Asian music.

I have so much respect for Asian actors from the start of Hollywood until basically the last five years-- minus the Joy Luck Club and The Green Hornet (kind-of)-- for not viciously murdering every racist tool they worked under and slowly making headway while earning a living.

food court bailiff posted:

Didn't he write Garden State? I mean.... that kind of sets the tone for all of his projects, I think.
Who the hell was the DoP on that one? Because it's framed and shot way above what you'd expect for Braff, even if the plot and characters are refried rear end with a side of rear end on an rear end platter that won't stop farting because it's an rear end.

I remember his follow-up Wish I Was Here, or something, which had literally one good scene carried by Mandy Patinkin and Kate Hudson.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mind the walrus posted:

Who the hell was the DoP on that one? Because it's framed and shot way above what you'd expect for Braff, even if the plot and characters are refried rear end with a side of rear end on an rear end platter that won't stop farting because it's an rear end.

Lawrence Sherr

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a hell of a resume goddamn

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Mandy Patinkin elevates any scene he’s in. Dude’s an amazing actor and a total class acts.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Sounds like he should've learned more on the set, then.

you can just outright see connery's dick in yolt so i guess he learnt plenty on set

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_riff

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

hard counter posted:

you can just outright see connery's dick in yolt so i guess he learnt plenty on set

Did he have a nice dick?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somebody hasn’t seen Zardoz.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know if anyone’s posted it yet, but having lived through 20 years of decline and seeing the approach of climate change geohell, I’m prepared to say that the Matrix calling 1999 the peak of so-called human civilization has aged pretty well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know if anyone’s posted it yet, but having lived through 20 years of decline and seeing the approach of climate change geohell, I’m prepared to say that the Matrix calling 1999 the peak of so-called human civilization has aged pretty well.

Yeah when I watched it recently it felt like an amazingly prescient explanation.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
recently remembered the ace ventura films and uhhhh wow

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I was going to include Dr. Cox on that list too but he is not only wrong but they show the full extend of his rear end in a top hat behavior as destroying his life.

He ends up in a relationship with his ex-wife where they love and respect each other, with 2 beautiful children and I think becomes the top doctor at the hospital. I wouldn't call that destroying his life.

Also, I would argue that Dr. Cox from Scrubs is the textbook definition of a different kind of archetype than what you are describing.

Dr. Cox is the gruff arsehole whose prickly exterior hides a soft and vulnerable interior. And every character and the audience can see that, so we are supposed to love him. Despite the mean things he does/says, because "aww, you don't mean that, you are really a sweetiepie".

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
He actively sabotaged every advancement opportunity until he made peace with workplace politics. There was like 5 seasons of life ruining, then the rabies, then he had the good times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And it is shown that he can be genuinely nice and reasonable to people who need it, and he's constantly butting heads with his boss because he puts patient welfare first and foremost, basically weaponising his assholishness against people who deserve it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVZ--JngeAM

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There was also an episode that states that he doesn't LIKE having Kelso's job because it keeps him away from patients and his son.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kanine posted:

recently remembered the ace ventura films and uhhhh wow

Hoooooooo yeah, those are best forgotten.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rewatching any old Jim Carrey movie gets weird. He gets raped offscreen in Dumb and Dumber.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Almost, but Dumb saves him in time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

rodbeard posted:

Rewatching any old Jim Carrey movie gets weird. He gets raped offscreen in Dumb and Dumber.

In the unrated extended cut. So don’t watch that one.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I randomly watched the Truman Show last night, and even though there wasn’t anything particularly rapey there was a scene where he got very hands-on with his wife that had me going ‘woah’. Doubt that would fly today.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think of all the 90s Carrey movies The Mask was the one that's aged the best. He has that rapey moment in the Park, but the Mask is not supposed to be any kind of healthy outlet, it's unregulated id acting out a base-level infatuation, and that's the worst he gets. Plus that moment does call out how creepy his behaviour is, so it's obvious the movie knows that it's VERY bad behaviour that a lot of people mistake for romantic - Tina is visibly uncomfortable and the whole point of that moment is effectively to show that in some aspects of his life the Mask makes the situation worse, not better. Or at least to hammer it home to *stanley* because before that moment he kind of thinks of the mask as a good thing to use for a quick confidence boost as he begins to become dependant on it.

Also Blades of Glory with Will Ferrel and Jon Heder has aged surprisingly well. You'd think it would be homophobic, but it's actually very genuine and sweet - the whole point of the characters arcs is that they are initially weirded out by skating with another man, but by Fire and Ice they have got over their hangups and are just willing to do whatever they need to regardless of what that means - they just want to skate. Heder even point out that they are getting weird looks and and Ferrel's just like "Ehhh, let em stare. They don't matter."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as someone else said, dumb and dumber is totally fine as long as you watch the theatrical version. the extended version is bad

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm thinking back to Liar Liar and I can't recall anything super cringy off the top of my head. Then again it's been years since I've last watched it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s a lawyer

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he definitely does some ogling of a huge boobed woman in liar liar

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Liar Liar is one of those "you work too much, you need to spend time with your family" movies that don't work out well anymore because people gotta risk their lives working two or three jobs just to stay above water and also can't afford to even have a family.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah but that was specifically framed as a dick thing to do

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I mean, the framing clearly puts him in the wrong for being a creep. That's like dinging Obi-Wan for cutting off a dude's arm or Han for shooting Greedo.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Liar Liar is one of those "you work too much, you need to spend time with your family" movies that don't work out well anymore because people gotta risk their lives working two or three jobs just to stay above water and also can't afford to even have a family.
It also frames Millennial kids as needy wieners for having the gall to need a strong father figure, but also posits that all said father figure has to do is show up and exist because the kid doesn't need like... development or anything. It's an extremely Boomercentric worldview.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

hawowanlawow posted:

as someone else said, dumb and dumber is totally fine as long as you watch the theatrical version. the extended version is bad

I have never seen anything other than the theatrical version, and I never plan to. :colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm thinking back to Liar Liar and I can't recall anything super cringy off the top of my head. Then again it's been years since I've last watched it.

Cary Elwes is trying to step in and be the better man, au natural. He doesn't have a real good rapport with the kid but he's clearly started winning Maura Tierney's heart.

It's not sexist, racist, transphobic or homophobic which is the usual cringe customers but it still felt wrong that a magic "curse" got Jim Carrey to basically cheat his way past The Man in Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mind the walrus posted:

I mean, the framing clearly puts him in the wrong for being a creep. That's like dinging Obi-Wan for cutting off a dude's arm or Han for shooting Greedo.

It also frames Millennial kids as needy wieners for having the gall to need a strong father figure, but also posits that all said father figure has to do is show up and exist because the kid doesn't need like... development or anything. It's an extremely Boomercentric worldview.

Also he's a lovely husband and father, the wife left him for good reasons and her new partner is just cast aside cause Carrey's character drove a stair truck up to a moving plane and said "I love you." or whatever.

e;
His secretary leaves and doesn't come back cause she realizes what a scummy person he is, which is good.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Dec 10, 2020