Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

punk rebel ecks posted:

What is your avatar of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
outer worlds was the mediocrest game ever to mediocre

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

- would pretend to be a person outside the bar collecting entry fees (the bars had no entry fees)

that rocks though

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

It wasn’t just a normal Taco Bell. It was the first (and only?) Taco Bell wedding venue in Las Vegas. He basically ran a social media campaign to win the “prize” and later got hosed by taxes. Lol.

I’m trying to think of all the other wild Dan Ryckert things -

- he leaked the George Brett shits his pants video, had legal threats, nothing happened
- thought egg shells were whites
- didn’t know pirates stole
- didn’t know outlaws were criminals
- thought fridges made cooked steaks raw
- used to throw stinkbombs in bars to clear them out for him
- would pretend to be a person outside the bar collecting entry fees (the bars had no entry fees)
- permanently has Billy Squier’s “The Stroke” in his head despite not knowing the lyrics
- used to be afraid of visible butter
- refused to eat sour cream and would throw out something if he found out it had sour cream in it, even if he had eaten a bunch and enjoyed it
- asked “if everyone at burning man is doing drugs, why don’t the cops just go there and arrest them?”
- is convinced he could break out of prison
- is convinced he could fight a wolf
- had written multiple books, two of which about an alligator in the military (Air Force Gator), the second of which has an intro by Jose Canseco
- was almost on Beauty and the Geek
- believes the Metal Gear Solid series is the greatest story ever told

And this is just a fraction of the person that is Dan Ryckert

Also single-handedly killed Harmonix's deal with Guns and Roses.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

Alright we covered skyrim and rdr 2 maybe we can spend the next few pages with some hot takes about god of war

Mario 64 is cyberpunk as gently caress when you turn into metal mario.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pylons posted:

Also single-handedly killed Harmonix's deal with Guns and Roses.

how did that happen?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Eraflure posted:

Combat sucked in the reboot

While I don't go this far, I definitely did prefer the older games' combat where you're an absolute death machine with all kinds of extreme cool kickflips moves compared to messing poo poo up brutally but kind of awkwardly with an axe.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zeta Acosta posted:

outer worlds was the mediocrest game ever to mediocre

At least it was bug free on launch, unlike

Fallout
Fallout 2
Deus Ex
Fallout New Vegas
Alpha Protocol
Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn's PC port (lmao)

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

It wasn’t just a normal Taco Bell. It was the first (and only?) Taco Bell wedding venue in Las Vegas. He basically ran a social media campaign to win the “prize” and later got hosed by taxes. Lol.

- he leaked the George Brett shits his pants video, had legal threats, nothing happened
- permanently has Billy Squier’s “The Stroke” in his head despite not knowing the lyrics
- refused to eat sour cream and would throw out something if he found out it had sour cream in it, even if he had eaten a bunch and enjoyed it
- asked “if everyone at burning man is doing drugs, why don’t the cops just go there and arrest them?”
- had written multiple books, two of which about an alligator in the military (Air Force Gator), the second of which has an intro by Jose Canseco

i think he also had a hand in quite a few murders

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

If CDPR were good programmers there would be a Switch version running at 60fps with software ray tracing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

dex_sda posted:

how did that happen?

He basically had his friend (who looked a lot like an actual PR person at Harmonix) and him do a video where the "PR person" said there were multiple Chinese Democracy albums.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who did Dan Ryckert talk to for the George Brett video? He doesn't seem like the guy who hangs around Spring Training

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
RDR2 is awesome. I've never played a game that doesn't really want you to rush through stuff as much. I put it down for a week or two and then do a couple missions, go "wow that was great", don't play it for a while again, rinse repeat. It kicks rear end. It's chill as hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordiceius posted:

Y'all been eating invisible butter all this time and nobody told me?!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mordiceius posted:

Hell, same. Possibly two.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

There's a lengthy entry under his name on the GB website. https://www.giantbomb.com/dan-ryckert/3040-109456/

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
downloading a GoG patch, about 9gigs

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think there's a lot to defend RDR2 about but ultimately it deserves any meanness it gets for just how bad the missions are- not so much the story but how inflexible and on rails they are.

I really hope they realize for their next project that allowing the player to do something other than precisely following an extremely boring script during a mission is the biggest thing they could do to actually make people like the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Imagine spending 5+ hours watching video of a game being played by someone else, just to confirm you hate it. Like, surely you know it's not for you at like 2 or 3 hours :psyduck:

e] or, yknow, like 20 minutes

??? Weird thing to pick on.

Then again I played Fallout 4 for 100+ hours and it's the worst game I've ever beaten and I knew it sucked within the first hours.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

The incredible rear end-kicking I gave Measurehead says otherwise :colbert:

So that's the name in English? In Spanish he was called Craneometrico (like Skullmetric?) and it rules. It also comes from a real term. Measurehead seems more... plain.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There is a very substantial difference between watching a game (akin to watching tv, using literally less than zero % of your brain power) and actually playing the game (using a lot % of your brain power). I would be so bold to say that a drastic amount of the dopamine we as gamers get from playing games comes from the act of expending brain power playing them. We solve puzzles from nuanced to complex, fight, traverse, navigate, we read and learn. We are “wired”, in a sense, in that All of these things bring more joy to us than could ever be gleaned from simply just passively watching the thing.

So I’m not saying your 5.5 hours of watching a stream were wasted. But I will say don’t judge the game for its ability to entertain until you actually play it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blind Rasputin posted:

There is a very substantial difference between watching a game (akin to watching tv, using literally less than zero % of your brain power) and actually playing the game (using a lot % of your brain power). I would be so bold to say that a drastic amount of the dopamine we as gamers get from playing games comes from the act of expending brain power playing them. We solve puzzles from nuanced to complex, fight, traverse, navigate, we read and learn. We are “wired”, in a sense, in that All of these things bring more joy to us than could ever be gleaned from simply just passively watching the thing.

So I’m not saying your 5.5 hours of watching a stream were wasted. But I will say don’t judge the game for its ability to entertain until you actually play it.

Yeah but to be fair they were specifically criticizing the story / writing, so that's a little different.

That said, with a game this big, you could easily spend 10 hours just racing cars and having zero story at all. I don't think you can say the story doesn't touch on this or that at all until you've beaten it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i haven't played this game yet but goty 2020 obviously

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I want to play the videogame

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
RDR2 is a great technical achieve, a decent story, and a not very good game. All the systems in the game felt completely flattened out in order to accommodate skipping the side content, which made earning money or hunting feel kind of pointless when guns are freely handed to you and they ultimately don't function very differently from one another. BOTW did a great job of making you feel like your time was being meaningfully spent even when you were just loving around in the woods, because all the collectible googaws fed into systems that would actually give you useful and satisfying bonuses. BOTW has both a great world and great gameplay where RDR2 only got to the first half.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zaphod42 posted:

It seems like a crazy magical hack but it totally works. Downside is Nvidia has to implement it per-game so very few games support it, and also you need a fancy geforce card.

DLSS 1, which sucked stinky butt, required NVIDIA to train a model per-game, but DLSS 2, which is like gentle kisses from the supermodel of your choosing, basically just requires the developer to integrate the engine’s motion vectors (which are often being used at that phase for TAA anyway) into the DLSS engine instead of a different AA approach. It’s true that DLSS 2 doesn’t have wide support yet, but that’s mainly IMO because it’s only become available relatively recently and AAA game development has pretty high new-tech latency in most cases.

You should never turn DLSS 1 on, but you should pretty much always turn DLSS 2 on if only to the “quality” setting (unless the developer screwed up the DLSS integration, DLSS-quality is pretty much free perf and maybe IQ improvements too).

E: holy poo poo 13 pages, this thread I swear!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hot Diggity! posted:

RDR2 is awesome. I've never played a game that doesn't really want you to rush through stuff as much. I put it down for a week or two and then do a couple missions, go "wow that was great", don't play it for a while again, rinse repeat. It kicks rear end. It's chill as hell.

For sure, RDR2 is best taken in as a big open experience where you might indeed get into a big gunfight, but you might also spend the time browsing goods in a general store and then riding off to set up a camp somewhere and just doing some fishing or bowhunting.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Ok I'm confused are there dicks or not in this game.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

is it true that if you fall into water in this game you have to sit inside a bag of rice for 2 days to dry out your circuits

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

busalover posted:

I've now watched 5+ hour of someone playing this, and the game is meh. The writing and world-building feels like it was done by Beavis and Butthead. Calling it "Pulp" is like saying yah nuh it's bad on purpose. Nah. It's like fan fiction by people who watched Blade Runner and maybe read the Shadowrun source book. Not sure what literature they read, or why they even wanted to make a game about the cyberpunk genre in the first place. It's the most superficial reading of Cyberpunk possible, borrowing it's aesthetics, but with no interest in the politics or socio-economics that motivated it in the first place.

doingitwrong posted:

It was literally written in collaboration with Mike Pondsmith.

Mike Pondsmith, the tabletop/rpg game designer. He isn't a professional fiction writer, afaik.

And the tabletop was already kinda like fan fiction...

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The Outer Worlds oozes whatever the opposite of soul, is too.

This what i don't understand about the Giant Bomb people. Alot of the older crew were raving about the writing and feel of the world that Outer Worlds had. But a few minutes into the game, the whole thing just started unraveling for me the terrible writing and quests just stuck out.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Blind Rasputin posted:

They were not wasted, it was the biggest release of the year and the hype was huge, probably bigger than for any movie or other media release. That's why I watched it. And yeah playing gives you an entirely different experience than watching, but tbh the watching didn't convince me to buy and play it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

They will always remember me, and my heroic stand, when I joined a thread on a video game on release day to say, 'this game sux and I told u so'.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

since we're talking about Rockstar games, is GTA V's solo story worth finishing? I feel like I got 30% through and then shifted to Online

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

Ok I'm confused are there dicks or not in this game.

Everything is formed of dick shaped molecules in the cyberpunk universe

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

So what other games do you guys not like?? I love hearing negative people bitch about poo poo.

Also when's the release specifically, 30 mins or so from now? I think that's midnight in Poland.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

smoobles posted:

is it true that if you fall into water in this game you have to sit inside a bag of rice for 2 days to dry out your circuits

yes

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Xachariah posted:

So what other games do you guys not like?? I love hearing negative people bitch about poo poo.

Also when's the release specifically, 30 mins or so from now? I think that's midnight in Poland.

90 minutes. 12am UTC.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

smoobles posted:

since we're talking about Rockstar games, is GTA V's solo story worth finishing? I feel like I got 30% through and then shifted to Online

As someone who never finished a GTA game's main storyline, V's actually hooked me. Maybe it's the variety of having three PCs to play or just that the game's systems feel generally good, but I found it pretty enjoyable all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can things be dropped from your inventory and onto the ground? Someone posted that they want to fill their apartment up with dildos and now I'd like to as well but it's too expensive so I'm going to try to do it in the game instead.