Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FlamingLiberal posted:

So what you’re saying is that 8K gaming is here?

It makes Minesweeper look AMAZING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Helter Skelter posted:

Front of the case should be all intake fans, and exhaust out the back/top. If you have more intake than exhaust, you can create a positive pressure system that helps keep dust buildup down a bit. Air should ideally be flowing more or less front-to-back regardless.

e: if that last pcpartpicker list you posted is accurate, slap both of those 140mm fans up front as intake.

There’s only space for one, I guess I’ll move the one closer to the front.

You may have noticed a problem with the orientation heatsink :/

No issue though! Thank god I didn’t strip a screw

Got Windows and Linux mint installed!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sean10mm posted:

It makes Minesweeper look AMAZING.

*Minesweeper RTX. Totally worth the $30 update.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42734&AID=11051853&PID=4485850

Appears to be a https://skytechgaming.com/product-category/rtx-30-series-desktops/ this with a $100 discount.

Given that the video card + processor are $830 + tax and if you buy with a credit card it usually adds to the warranty, seems fine enough to me if prebuilt is how you want. Can't vouch for the maker but they've been "around" AFAIK.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Allright, the jank-end build is finished

This is meant as a 6 to 8 year future-proof build that is upgradeable for when i get more mullah and prices drop

What country are you in? Brazil
What are you using the system for? Development/gaming
What's your budget? Hard to pin in dollars, the exchange rate is fluctuating too much, but about $1.500
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? IDE, multiple VMs/Emulators, a thousand tabs on stack overflow
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? HQ 31GHQ-LED 31.5" 1080p 165hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ B&H)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Western Digital)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Cooler Master 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $362.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-09 11:11 EST-0500

Some questions for the thread, basically a future-proofing sanity check.

1. I work with multiple VMs and mobile device emulators hence the large amount of ram. Got 3000mhz because it was on sale and i figured stuff like native 4400mhz ddr4, which is the max for this board, will become cheaper in the future. Is trying to overclock to 3200 or 3600 worth it?

2. The GPU plan is getting something better to run windows as a kvm with passthrough in a second GPU, for now i'll be dual booting linux and windows. In a longer term perspective is it better to wait for the next gpu generation or get something like a 3070 when prices go down?

bagual fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 9, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

True, but what about CPUs? Is it just the supply chains and it being the holidays?
Not entirely.

Intel CPUs have had varying degrees of supply issues since at least late 2018 or so, at least on the enterprise side. This is likely due in part to how they could not successfully ramp their 10nm process to replace 14nm capacity, and in part to the fact that Intel had to split their silicon wafers into bigger (and therefore fewer) 14nm chips to fight the multicore war against AMD.

Meanwhile, TSMC's 7nm process is booked full by various customers right now and whatever share of the silicon wafer starts AMD has managed to purchase on that process is being split between their CPUs, GPUs, Xbox chips and Playstation chips.

If demand would start to normalize early next year, that could help a bit, but a lot of it is simply that there is not enough manufacturing capacity and that new manufacturing lines/plants take a lot of money and time to set up in this industry.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Selling an unopened 10700KF over in SA Mart if anyone is interested - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950845&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

bagual posted:

Allright, the jank-end build is finished

This is meant as a 6 to 8 year future-proof build that is upgradeable for when i get more mullah and prices drop

What country are you in? Brazil
What are you using the system for? Development/gaming
What's your budget? Hard to pin in dollars, the exchange rate is fluctuating too much, but about $1.500
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? IDE, multiple VMs/Emulators, a thousand tabs on stack overflow
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? HQ 31GHQ-LED 31.5" 1080p 165hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ B&H)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Western Digital)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Cooler Master 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $362.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-09 11:11 EST-0500

Some questions for the thread, basically a future-proofing sanity check.

1. I work with multiple VMs and mobile device emulators hence the large amount of ram. Got 3000mhz because it was on sale and i figured stuff like native 4400mhz ddr4, which is the max for this board, will become cheaper in the future. Is trying to overclock to 3200 or 3600 worth it?

2. The GPU plan is getting something better to run windows as a kvm with passthrough in a second GPU, for now i'll be dual booting linux and windows. In a longer term perspective is it better to wait for the next gpu generation or get something like a 3070 when prices go down?

Honestly the TUF B550 is just as good for 99% of users and has BIOS flashback that will let you update the BIOS if the board ships with an old one that doesn't support the 5600X. I got the Aorus Pro B550 and it's really good too but costs a bit more IIRC.

That SSD mix is kind of odd TBH, just get a big fuckoff 2 TB SSD instead of a 500 and a 1000 separately.

Finding video cards in stock at the moment is just a nightmare, but for 1080p165 I'd want like an RTX 3060Ti or 3070 eventually I think.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

sean10mm posted:

Honestly the TUF B550 is just as good for 99% of users and has BIOS flashback that will let you update the BIOS if the board ships with an old one that doesn't support the 5600X. I got the Aorus Pro B550 and it's really good too but costs a bit more IIRC.

That SSD mix is kind of odd TBH, just get a big fuckoff 2 TB SSD instead of a 500 and a 1000 separately.

Finding video cards in stock at the moment is just a nightmare, but for 1080p165 I'd want like an RTX 3060Ti or 3070 eventually I think.

Already got the x570, I was considering the B550, however fun fact ASUS manufactures the TUF Gaming X570-PLUS/BR variant in one of Brazil's tax free "industrial incentive" zones so i got it at basically the same price point an imported B550 would have cost me.

The 512GB SSD is actually a bargain bin Hikvision E100N i got in a deal a while back, which is eventually going to a SATA adapter when i'm able to get a pcie-4 m2 for cheaper, i'm also salvaging a 1tb hdd from the old pc so not really worried for now.

my only misgiving about the 3070 is in 2 to 4 years eventually i'll get a 4k monitor, i wonder if the cheapo next gen GPU will have better support for it out of the box because i wanna space those two upgrades a bit

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

If I have the serial number for my copy of Windows 10, can I just install Windows 10 to a brand new drive and reuse the serial number? I got a SSD, and the cables to add it won't arrive for a few days, so I was thinking about doing a fresh install.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

There’s only space for one, I guess I’ll move the one closer to the front.
You should be able to take the one that's currently in the front of the case and move it to the top rearmost spot as exhaust (rear fan stays where it is), and that should make room for both your 140mm fans in the front for intake.

Congrats on your build!

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Thanks for all the help with the build goons, the new computer has been great so far, with one observance: after some time in-game, some fan/s start short bursty revs (sounds like an engine being revved aggressively by vin diesel)

this so far has only happened (and easily reproed by me) when running a particular game (outer wilds) - is there any recommended software (free or cheapish) that plots time series for fan speed / other metrics for a lookback window?
You can use HWInfo64 to monitor and log sensor data like that.

It sounds like you're exceeding some temperature threshold, so the fans speed up to drive temps down. My mobo will spin all fans at 100% if the cpu exceeds 86.1°C regardless of whatever fan curve is set in BIOS.

Have you mucked about with fan curves in BIOS?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So I'm going to abandon the AMD hardware route for the kids pc's and go with an intel i3-10100 based build instead.

I don't know anything about Intel motherboard chipsets, but I'm thinking a B460 board is the sweet spot? No AAA gaming or overclocking, just looking or a solid 100 dollar or less board. Intel boards seem a little more expensive than AMD for some reason. I'd happily accept any recommendations I'd prefer 4 ram slots if possible, but don't care about onboard wifi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bioshuffle posted:

If I have the serial number for my copy of Windows 10, can I just install Windows 10 to a brand new drive and reuse the serial number? I got a SSD, and the cables to add it won't arrive for a few days, so I was thinking about doing a fresh install.
If you have an active Windows PC you can create a boot disk from that computer

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jesus tapdancing christ.

Got the system going, tested a bunch of stuff, tried to play Control and it kept crashing.

Now my system won't turn on. No diagnostic lights or anything.

I'm hoping it's just a bum PSU but I have no way of testing each component. My old stuff is far too old to help check.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bioshuffle posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you have an active Windows PC you can create a boot disk from that computer

You can also create a USB boot drive with this Microsoft utility, use that to do a clean windows install, and just skip activation. You won't be able to change any of the desktop backgrounds, but you don't really lose any functionality.

You can go back and reactivate with your old code or get a fresh one from SA Mart for $15 at any point in the future! :toot:

Inzombiac posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ.

Got the system going, tested a bunch of stuff, tried to play Control and it kept crashing.

Now my system won't turn on. No diagnostic lights or anything.

I'm hoping it's just a bum PSU but I have no way of testing each component. My old stuff is far too old to help check.

This is the second time you've had power problems, right? What is your PSU?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083RR7GBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_JLs0FbRSA7P8F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brand: GAMEMAX
Power Supply 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold Certified with Addressable RGB Light - Vairous Color Mode, GAMEMAX RGB750-Rainbow

Not the exact one I wanted but the one from Newegg was damaged in shipping and then they ran out of stock.
I actually just tested it with the little plug utility and it is working fine.

Gotta assume the MOBO fried somehow.

Edit: Well, I just deconstructed the machine and reassembled piece by piece and now it is behaving.

I've been extremely lucky with all of my builds that I've never had a catastrophic failure. Hell, I've only ever had one part that was DOA.
I have no clue what caused it and that is making me nervous.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

skipdogg posted:

So I'm going to abandon the AMD hardware route for the kids pc's and go with an intel i3-10100 based build instead.

I don't know anything about Intel motherboard chipsets, but I'm thinking a B460 board is the sweet spot? No AAA gaming or overclocking, just looking or a solid 100 dollar or less board. Intel boards seem a little more expensive than AMD for some reason. I'd happily accept any recommendations I'd prefer 4 ram slots if possible, but don't care about onboard wifi.

I think this’d work fine:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($105.44 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B460M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $355.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-09 14:57 EST-0500

Going for a 2-slot motherboard would save you ~$20, but having some options for RAM upgrades isn’t a bad choice. B460 makes sense to me to pair with a 10100, all you’re really missing out on is faster memory speeds, but that really shouldn’t be cause for concern with the kind of system you’re building here.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

AzureSkys posted:

This waiting for stock drops week after week, getting there immediately, going through checkout only to have it fail when you click the final purchase confirmation isn't good for mental health.

Set up one-touch payments with Apple Pay with mobile apps if you can. That’s how I snagged my 3070 day after launch via the Newegg app

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

Set up one-touch payments with Apple Pay with mobile apps if you can. That’s how I snagged my 3070 day after launch via the Newegg app

Also, don't rely on Discord notifications. By the time you see it, it is usually too late. I'd find the product you want and refresh until it pops up. But when you do see a notification for a product, make sure you keep refreshing and checking on it for like 5 minutes after it's posted. Sometimes distributors are releasing products a few at a time every 15-20 seconds. That's what happened this morning with a 3080 on Amazon. Sometimes an order will get canceled after the notification and it will be readded, so you sometimes find stuff that way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

On MSI boards, is the "Creator Genie" the new name for the "OC Genie"?

I don't do any overclocking and I'm not interested in it.
Under Creator Genie in BIOS, I can select CPU and/or one of two XMP profiles.

The thing is I have no idea what those do and the documentation doesn't explain.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

OKAY, with the installation of my 3060 ti (thanks to randoark for trading me his for my too-big MSI 3070), I won't have to open my PC up again for the next 4 years, or until I want to put more RAM in or to get a wifi 6 card. The only thing I have left to do is hook up my 1440p monitor (coming tomorrow), drill more holes in my desk to route all of the cables through, and figure out how to shut off or change this annoying blue light on the GPU.

Final PCpartpicker list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($232.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB EAGLE OC Video Card
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($42.22 @ Amazon) (WTF??? I paid $14 for this)
Total: $710.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-09 18:47 EST-0500

MSRP for everything, excluding Windows license: ~$1,143
What I actually paid: About $1,300, extra $150 is from buying a more expensive card and gifting it to a forums member :shepspends:

This was supposed to have been a $500 budget build for BG3...

change my name fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 10, 2020

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
whats a good cooler for a 5800x that'll fit in a mATX build (masterbox nr400)? this is my first time buying a seperate cooler.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 10, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The dimensions of your case are more important than the mobo size to know what would fit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Also, don't rely on Discord notifications. By the time you see it, it is usually too late. I'd find the product you want and refresh until it pops up. But when you do see a notification for a product, make sure you keep refreshing and checking on it for like 5 minutes after it's posted. Sometimes distributors are releasing products a few at a time every 15-20 seconds. That's what happened this morning with a 3080 on Amazon. Sometimes an order will get canceled after the notification and it will be readded, so you sometimes find stuff that way.

This is genuinely bad advice. You’re saying to spend hours a day f5ing? That’s insane.

Nearly everyone that’s gotten a card has used those discords to get it, including myself about 2 weeks after 3080 launch. Just set up payment details and shipping poo poo on every site (for nvidia you have to add something to the cart and act like you’re buying, then after it’s entered don’t confirm on the next page and remove it from your cart). Make sure Apple Pay is ready to go and install Newegg and other apps.

Inzombiac posted:

On MSI boards, is the "Creator Genie" the new name for the "OC Genie"?

I don't do any overclocking and I'm not interested in it.
Under Creator Genie in BIOS, I can select CPU and/or one of two XMP profiles.

The thing is I have no idea what those do and the documentation doesn't explain.

You want to XMP your ram. It’ll run at 2333mhz until you do.

Look at the rating for your ram and set XMP to that.

Google “creator genie XMP settings” or your board model and you’ll find it.

change my name posted:

OKAY, with the installation of my 3060 ti (thanks to randoark for trading me his for my too-big MSI 3070), I won't have to open my PC up again for the next 4 years, or until I want to put more RAM in or to get a wifi 6 card. The only thing I have left to do is hook up my 1440p monitor (coming tomorrow), drill more holes in my desk to route all of the cables through, and figure out how to shut off or change this annoying blue light on the GPU.

Final PCpartpicker list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($232.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB EAGLE OC Video Card
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($42.22 @ Amazon) (WTF??? I paid $14 for this)
Total: $710.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-09 18:47 EST-0500

MSRP for everything, excluding Windows license: ~$1,143
What I actually paid: About $1,300, extra $150 is from buying a more expensive card and gifting it to a forums member :shepspends:

This was supposed to have been a $500 budget build for BG3...

Disassemble the card and unplug the led header :science:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

change my name posted:

For some reason there has been a run on those Noctua fans lately.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Disassemble the card and unplug the led header :science:
Or see if Gigabyte has an app to do that. My MSI card does at least. Before you tear apart the card.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nitsuga posted:

Or see if Gigabyte has an app to do that. My MSI card does at least. Before you tear apart the card.

Oh there’s an app for controlling the light. There’s a temperature monitoring mode but you can’t moderate the brightness at all (weird oversight), so off it goes

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

This is genuinely bad advice. You’re saying to spend hours a day f5ing? That’s insane.

Nearly everyone that’s gotten a card has used those discords to get it, including myself about 2 weeks after 3080 launch. Just set up payment details and shipping poo poo on every site (for nvidia you have to add something to the cart and act like you’re buying, then after it’s entered don’t confirm on the next page and remove it from your cart). Make sure Apple Pay is ready to go and install Newegg and other apps.

Just speaking as to what i've had success with and people generally recommend in Discord. You don't have to spend hours, but you basically use those notifications to let you know what to check. I've gotten two items by going back to old notifications and checking on them. Those notifications haven't gotten me an item when I immediately click on them, as in watching something, see it pop up and immediately visit the link. It's either gone or is bought within 3 seconds of me getting to it. The other item i've gotten has been because I did the second thing I recommended, which was to keep refreshing after the notification popped, was bought, but the distributor added more after 15-20 seconds. You can't rely on those notifications always and if you want to have the best chance you gotta check on your own, that's the advice i'm giving. Not to f5 all day.

Apple pay is the best thing to setup to help. People say use the Newegg app too, but I haven't tried. Amazon is where i've had some luck, but they have super delayed shipping times.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083RR7GBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_JLs0FbRSA7P8F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brand: GAMEMAX
Power Supply 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold Certified with Addressable RGB Light - Vairous Color Mode, GAMEMAX RGB750-Rainbow

Not the exact one I wanted but the one from Newegg was damaged in shipping and then they ran out of stock.
I actually just tested it with the little plug utility and it is working fine.

Gotta assume the MOBO fried somehow.

Edit: Well, I just deconstructed the machine and reassembled piece by piece and now it is behaving.

I've been extremely lucky with all of my builds that I've never had a catastrophic failure. Hell, I've only ever had one part that was DOA.
I have no clue what caused it and that is making me nervous.

I don't see that power supply on the often cited: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Doesn't mean it is bad, but it could be the problem or a problem later on.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So amazon just listed the 5800x for pre-order and I got in there as soon as the bots alerted me to it. Smacked the preorder button and it passed me to an empty cart; does that mean that it was actually already sold out, or is that some sort of bug? I managed to go back to the page a few times and the preorder sign was still up but nothing. Just part of the process?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ShowTime posted:

Should I go ahead and buy some of these for a future build? Are they that hard to find? I don't have a case picked out because I haven't been able to secure a processor and was waiting until I got both a gpu and a processor to start assembling other parts. Those two items seem to be the hardest things to locate. I have this MB: https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310?Item=N82E16813144310

Ehh, if you don't already have a build planned that requires and fits 120x25mm case fans, there's no real point in stressing yourself out trying to get these now. I need one for a near-future replacement of my SFF case with another, slightly less small form factor case. I'll be replacing my NF-A12x15 currently on my CPU cooler with this one, as there will be much more clearance in the new case

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Ehh, if you don't already have a build planned that requires and fits 120x25mm case fans, there's no real point in stressing yourself out trying to get these now. I need one for a near-future replacement of my SFF case with another, slightly less small form factor case. I'll be replacing my NF-A12x15 currently on my CPU cooler with this one, as there will be much more clearance in the new case

Yea, I was just curious since PC parts right now are super hard to find. I've been picking up some parts that are sought after just in case I need it. I figured I might do the same with those fans. I'd rather get it, not need it and return it then find out I need it and not be able to find it. Now that I have a motherboard and have settled on the GPU and Processor I want (still need to find the processor) I should really go ahead and get a case and a power supply.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Can't believe I'm posting this as if it's a hot item but these should be step-up eligible & as far as I know there are no step up eligible cards in stock anywhere.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6097242/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Graphic-Card/

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6891693/EVGA-GeForce-GT-1030-Graphic-Card/

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im finding out that used mini atxs arent so cheap. trying to help my father in law with a new computer but might as well just hook him up with mine that isnt being used much anymore.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Wrr posted:

So amazon just listed the 5800x for pre-order and I got in there as soon as the bots alerted me to it. Smacked the preorder button and it passed me to an empty cart; does that mean that it was actually already sold out, or is that some sort of bug? I managed to go back to the page a few times and the preorder sign was still up but nothing. Just part of the process?

Yeah, it happens a lot. Was able to order a 5800x in November relatively easy, but the 5600x I ordered recently took me about two weeks of trying. Assuming now that the 5800x is in a similar scarcity now.

E: I have used the following to get a 3060 ti and two Ryzen cpus:

https://www.hotstock.io/us (tracks one thing for free or 10 things for $5 a month)
https://www.nowinstock.net/ (use their discord or telegram links)
https://discord.gg/m2SHKYC5Gs (ATR discord)
https://discord.gg/ErhWbMgc37 (Stockdrops discord)

Then follow on twitter @newegg @botrtx @wario64 @videogamedeals and if looking for a ps5 @ps5stockalerts

Then turn all the notifications on and annoy whoever lives with you!

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 10, 2020

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Gardenator posted:

Yeah, it happens a lot. Was able to order a 5800x in November relatively easy, but the 5600x I ordered recently took me about two weeks of trying. Assuming now that the 5800x is in a similar scarcity now.

I've been keeping an eye on the ATR stock notifications while hunting for a 3070 (which I finally managed to order the other day). The 5900x and 5950x seem have the least frequent drops, followed by the 5600x. The 5800x actually seems to be getting the most frequent stock notifications, and is incidentally also the only one that seems to ever have any active third party listings on amazon.

Kinda getting the feeling that AMD's just pumping out the 5800x in (relative) quantity to make that sweet margin while they can.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks to thread for helping me get sorted out. I was doing some benchmarking and saw that 3Dmark kept some old results which were neat for comparison sake, though not sure how relevant they are nowadays (Firestrike). The magnitude of difference is what's comical.

First build: 2500k with a GTX 460 GPU (2011) to a 750ti (2015?) only to be able to run 3 monitors. Then bought a 1070 and overclocked the 2500k around the same time (2016). Now: 5800x and 3080.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bus hustler posted:

Can't believe I'm posting this as if it's a hot item but these should be step-up eligible & as far as I know there are no step up eligible cards in stock anywhere.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6097242/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Graphic-Card/

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6891693/EVGA-GeForce-GT-1030-Graphic-Card/

I believe Office Depot isn't an authorized EVGA reseller that is eligible for step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

My power supply is still functional! :yayclod:

Thank you everyone for the help! I let it dry out for 48 hours and tested it with a paperclip. I'm so relieved everything works. I appreciate this thread and this community. When searching the internet for a solution, there was all sorts of terrible advice, like to blow a hot hair dryer for 10 minutes, or even to put a wet PC part in the oven on the lowest setting.