Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Rewatching the first Spiderman right now because of this conversation and I must say that the whole "person walking in off the street to wrestle what I assume is a professional" just does not seem realistic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Rewatching the first Spiderman right now because of this conversation and I must say that the whole "person walking in off the street to wrestle what I assume is a professional" just does not seem realistic at all.

It was an actual thing you could do in the 80s. And when UFC started they let pretty much anyone compete.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

He died saving the city from his own hubris and would've survived if his arms, which represent the hubris, weren't literally weighing him down. It's good imo.

Yeah I don't disagree that it fits, I just don't feel like it had to happen that way to have a good ending

^^^ isn't the only requirement to be a wrestler is doing cocaine

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Yeah I don't disagree that it fits, I just don't feel like it had to happen that way to have a good ending

The way I see it, Raimi killed Octavius for two reasons.

1) This is a movie, not a comic book. You don't know if you're going to get another chance to tell this story, so you'd better do whatever you wanted to do with this possible one shot you get. So if you really want to emphasize the price of his hubris by killing him, you'd better damned well do it.

2) If you do get another movie and you didn't kill him, Octavius is going to be like a big ol' albatross around its neck. If you don't put him in the movie, everyone's going to be asking where he is and why, if he's redeemed, he's not helping. If you do put him in the movie, he's going to be a needless distraction from the current storyline.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

The way I see it, Raimi killed Octavius for two reasons.

1) This is a movie, not a comic book. You don't know if you're going to get another chance to tell this story, so you'd better do whatever you wanted to do with this possible one shot you get. So if you really want to emphasize the price of his hubris by killing him, you'd better damned well do it.

2) If you do get another movie and you didn't kill him, Octavius is going to be like a big ol' albatross around its neck. If you don't put him in the movie, everyone's going to be asking where he is and why, if he's redeemed, he's not helping. If you do put him in the movie, he's going to be a needless distraction from the current storyline.

Well to 1, if raimi wanted to have ock die that's fine but again I don't think a story about him necessitates him dying just because well it's a movie

For 2 I don't really buy that at all because I find the notion that if a guy survives then end of a movie and had his story completed them he must appear in the next film kinda ridiculous. He could just be in jail or whatever. Civil war had Zemo survive, although he wasn't redeemed, and no one was clamoring for him to show up in iw. No one complains vulture isn't in Holland Spidey 2. And ngl in a movie with Harry osborn goblin, sandman, AND venom if ock showed up in a bit part that would be the least of 3s problems lol

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

For 2 I don't really buy that at all because I find the notion that if a guy survives then end of a movie and had his story completed them he must appear in the next film kinda ridiculous. He could just be in jail or whatever. Civil war had Zemo survive, although he wasn't redeemed, and no one was clamoring for him to show up in iw. No one complains vulture isn't in Holland Spidey 2. And ngl in a movie with Harry osborn goblin, sandman, AND venom if ock showed up in a bit part that would be the least of 3s problems lol

Spider-Man 2 existed in a much smaller world than Civil War, though. By that point in the MCU, we had come to accept that the world is chock full of heroes and villains and they've all got their own things going on, so we can kind of infer good reasons for them not to be constantly stepping on each others' toes. Raimi wouldn't have had to include Octavius, but if he hadn't wanted to, he would have needed to at least address why, which he might just not have felt inclined to do. Maybe he felt like he'd told the story he had wanted to tell, and wanted to have the character exit on that note.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

site posted:

Well to 1, if raimi wanted to have ock die that's fine but again I don't think a story about him necessitates him dying just because well it's a movie

Doc Ock was really, really, well received at the time though. He was (and probably still is) one of the greatest page to screen translations of a villain. Zemo and Vulture were no where near as well received though they are good villains. Plus, they are part of a shared universe which Spider-Man 2 was not, in a shared universe you know you're getting many more films and TV shows down the line so it's okay to have a few on the bench.

A point of comparison would be Ledger's Joker, he would have certainly been back in some form had Ledger not have died, and if he wasn't, people would have been furious.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Things I have forgotten about Spiderman 1:

How dark the robbers death was

Green Goblin turning people into vaporizing skeletons.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

Spider-Man 2 existed in a much smaller world than Civil War, though. By that point in the MCU, we had come to accept that the world is chock full of heroes and villains and they've all got their own things going on, so we can kind of infer good reasons for them not to be constantly stepping on each others' toes. Raimi wouldn't have had to include Octavius, but if he hadn't wanted to, he would have needed to at least address why, which he might just not have felt inclined to do. Maybe he felt like he'd told the story he had wanted to tell, and wanted to have the character exit on that note.

I don't understand, if 2 had ended with say ock being able to solve the explosion problem and then turning himself into the police, why would 3 have to address him still being incarcerated. How does that service the story

Karloff posted:

Doc Ock was really, really, well received at the time though. He was (and probably still is) one of the greatest page to screen translations of a villain. Zemo and Vulture were no where near as well received though they are good villains. Plus, they are part of a shared universe which Spider-Man 2 was not, in a shared universe you know you're getting many more films and TV shows down the line so it's okay to have a few on the bench.

A point of comparison would be Ledger's Joker, he would have certainly been back in some form had Ledger not have died, and if he wasn't, people would have been furious.

Tbh Im not following the he was popular therefore he has to show up or the "well it's a shared universe" what does it matter if one is a shared universe. I think I'm missing what the actual argument there is

And I disagree on the ledger joker comparison because ocks story was definitely over at the end of 2 but dark knight ends with joker being captured but it was not The End of the Joker, at least that's how I felt about it. But also that's my personal feeling on that one and not in any way definitive

site fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 10, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

I don't understand, if 2 had ended with say ock being able to solve the explain problem and then turning himself into the police, why would 3 have to address him still being incarcerated. How does that service the story

Because his popularity would have meant that the fans/corporate suits would have put pressure on Raimi to include him.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Madkal posted:

Things I have forgotten about Spiderman 1:

How dark the robbers death was

Green Goblin turning people into vaporizing skeletons.

Yeah, I reckon Spider-Man (2002) is the darkest and most violent of the Spider-Man films. Even moreso than the first Amazing which held itself as dark but wasn't really. When Spider-Man (2002) was released in the UK it caused minor controversy because it was rated a 12 which at the time meant younger kids could not go see it. The BBFC defended their decision saying they considered it for a 15 and that it was one of the most violent films they had seen that was aimed at a child audience. Their particular point of concern was the final fight between the Goblin and Spider-Man. There's a lot of nasty details in it; when Spider-Man is trying to hold up the cable car you can see his blood on the cable as it slips out of his hands because he's squeezing it so hard. The Goblin truly beats the poo poo out of Spider-Man in a way that comes off as pretty sadistic, and the Goblin's death is quite grim, being impaled through the groin and all.

Shortly after the 12 rating was disbanded for cinemas (remained on home video) and the 12A rating was introduced specifically for cinema and Spider-Man was swiftly rereleased, that meant that younger kids could get taken in as long as they had an adult with them. But it also meant foolish parents would take their very young kids in to any 12A assuming that it was "for children". I worked at a cinema when The Woman in Black came out, and there were loads of angry parents shouting at underpaid cinema workers because their kid got scared by the movie with Harry Potter in.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
maybe they could have pressured him to include ock instead of the x-games goblin

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

Because his popularity would have meant that the fans/corporate suits would have put pressure on Raimi to include him.

Didn't raimi already go all out with all the other poo poo because he knew it was the last one

I feel like "the suits would want a line about ock being in jail" is moving away from an argument to why he has to die pretty significantly

E: sorry about all the slow posts and editing I'm phone posting

site fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 10, 2020

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

He doesn't have to die, but that's the choice they went with, I just personally dispute that it was bad one. Having villains die is no more or less a cliche than having them go to jail, they both seem to happen an equal amount. Magneto didn't die in the X-Men films of the same era, nor did Kingpin in the Daredevil film from the same era, nor did Dr. Doom from The Fantastic Four films, nor did Lex Luthor in Superman Returns. If anything them going to jail was more of a cliche at that point.

But, just because something is a "cliche" doesn't mean it's bad. Nothing can be 100% original. It's how those tropes are used and combined which matters. As such, Ock's death is justified thematically and dramatically. He's a tragic villain, and he achieved redemption in his last moments by giving his life to save the city that he endangered. He finally did what he couldn't do before, and took responsibility for his actions. Why would having him go to jail - like most of the other villains of the super-hero films of the early 2000s - be the better choice?

site posted:

Tbh Im not following the he was popular therefore he has to show up or the "well it's a shared universe" what does it matter if one is a shared universe. I think I'm missing what the actual argument there is

Because in a shared universe the audience implicitly understands there's gonna be reams more content down the road; multiple films, crossovers and Disney + shows. Back when the original Spider-Man trilogy was made that's not really how sequels worked, you made a few until the audience lost interest - that's what happened with the previous Batman and Superman films. Because of that there may have been more pressure to bring back an acclaimed villain, because the audience would be aware that there's a limited amount of time to see those villains. And they were right to think that, Raimi's films lasted for one more film. In comparison, the Vulture is part of an interconnected web of films that lean on cameos and guest appearances as part of their appeal, the audience won't be expecting him back immediately but instead down the line. And once again they're right to think that, Vulture wasn't in Infinity War or Far From Home, but he is in Morbius (we think).

Karloff fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 10, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Good thing I never said it was a bad ending then

Personally I think it feels wrong because, in my estimation of the character of which I will felt admit I have not read a lot of older Spidey, it is anathema to Peter to let someone even self sacrifice at the cost of their lives and that it is important to him to save villains because there is the hope of redemption in the future. That's why he's the marvel universes greatest hero(or one of the reasons anyways). If I'm wrong on that point please eat me alive about it at least that's a cogent angle of attack

^^^ Tbh none of the shared universe edit is a convincing argument, to me

site fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 10, 2020

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Marvel Studios news coming up at... some point in the next two and a half hours. Disney said earlier that there were 10 Marvel Studios series coming to Disney+ over the next couple years, though I think that's only two more than they've announced to date.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-investor-day-2020/

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

site posted:

^^^ Tbh none of the shared universe edit is a convincing argument, to me

Well, I think it is. So we are at an impasse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

Didn't raimi already go all out with all the other poo poo because he knew it was the last one

I feel like "the suits would want a line about ock being in jail" is moving away from an argument to why he has to die pretty significantly

The conventional wisdom is that the third one is a mess because of studio interference. Raimi wanted to make a movie with Sandman and Harry as the villains, and the studio insisted he include Venom because, well, the kids like Venom. Raimi was a good soldier and did what he was asked to, but clearly didn't work all that hard to make the pieces fit together.

Raimi was also, iirc, developing a fourth movie with Vulture when Sony decided to reboot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Evil AI arms that infect a man's brain is a lovely metaphor for hubris.

Madkal posted:

That is the genesis of pro wrestling.

It would have been decades out of date even when Stan Lee was writing the original comics though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Evil AI arms that infect a man's brain is a lovely metaphor for hubris.
That's the result of his single-minded drive to make the fusion machine work -- he pushes when it's not safe to do so, fries the inhibitor and is driven to "no this time it'll work".

Were he to survive, it'd probably be some Connors kind of deal where he's scarred/traumatized from the arms and develops a compulsion to reactivate them. You have him assisting Pete from behind bars and then tease his fall.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Okay but why are the prosthetic arms programmed to be evil, necessitating an inhibitor chip to begin with

Like, why would an arm have goals and motivations of any kind

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay but why are the prosthetic arms programmed to be evil, necessitating an inhibitor chip to begin with

They weren’t evil, they were just maniacally focused on completing the task for which they were created by any means necessary.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All this got me thinking about how much these movies kill their villains and out of all 23 current MCU films, the only villains that survive the movie they're introduced in are

• Abomination (might as well be dead seeing how much Marvel memory-holed Incredible Hulk)
  • Justin Hammer (Iron Man 2)*
  • Loki
  • Dormammu*
  • Vulture
  • Grandmaster* (Thor Ragnarok)
  • Yon-Rogg/the Kree in general

*And those guys were side villains, the movies always made sure to kill another villain!

edit: okay I guess no one died in Ant-Man and the Wasp but I can't even remember who the villain in that was really. Scott's probation officer?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TwoPair posted:

All this got me thinking about how much these movies kill their villains and out of all 23 current MCU films, the only surviving villains are

• Abomination (might as well be dead seeing how much Marvel memory-holed Incredible Hulk)
  • Loki
  • Dormammu*
  • Vulture

*And those guys were side villains, the movies always made sure to kill another villain!

edit: okay I guess no one died in Ant-Man and the Wasp but I can't even remember who the villain in that was really. Scott's probation officer?

Ant-Man in the Wasp didn't really have a villain, it had Sonny Burch who was more of an obstacle. Also Scott's probation officer Jimmy Woo is gonna be in WandaVision!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Ghost/Morpheus/an Uncaring Society

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

TwoPair posted:

All this got me thinking about how much these movies kill their villains and out of all 23 current MCU films, the only villains that survive the movie they're introduced in are

• Loki
  • Dormammu*
  • Vulture

You missed Zemo, Red Skull (kinda), Arnim Zola and (to be pedantic) Thanos. I think generally the newer movies are more likely to spare the villain. Caecilius in Dr Strange isn't dead either, he's zombified or something. There's also the Winter Soldier if you want to count him (he's pretty much still a villain at the end of that movie) and a few minor villains like Klaw and Crossbones.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 11, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

Ant-Man in the Wasp didn't really have a villain, it had Sonny Burch who was more of an obstacle. Also Scott's probation officer Jimmy Woo is gonna be in WandaVision!
We're getting another Ant-Man so I wouldn't be shocked if Ghost showed up again

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FlamingLiberal posted:

We're getting another Ant-Man so I wouldn't be shocked if Ghost showed up again

Maybe but I doubt it'll be as an antagonistic force.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337196091201253379?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New trailer for WandaVision, too:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1337195626245844994

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier comes out in March

Loki comes out in May

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Huh. Did they announce America before? She's cool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier comes out in March

Loki comes out in May

So... it doesn't spoil Black Widow after all?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here's a trailer for Loki

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1337197005211365379?s=20

I don't remember Owen Wilson's casting being mentioned but I could have missed it

I also have absolutely no idea what's going on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think this is the first official word on Captain Marvel 2? No mention of Spider-Man.

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337198933169348613?s=20

A LOT of stuff got announced (this is just the new stuff)-

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337199620703850498?s=20

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337199700382978049?s=20

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337199777939935234?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh poo poo we have Kang

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1337200221017808900?s=20

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
They gonna do Fantastic 4. They gonna try it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait they're loving doing Secret Invasion?????

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

also Christian Bale's role in Thor: Love and Thunder is going to be Gorr The God Butcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1337200479063994368?s=20