Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dombrowski rules but I'm not sure how his usual go all out to win the World Series or bust works when the team already is a bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Considering the Phillies do not want to spend money or have a farm system to sell off, Dombrowski is gonna need to change his MO a bit

this is gonna be a disaster

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First move will be to trade Bohm for Craig Kimbrel

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yet the Phillies have no farm nor, apparently, any money. How is Dave gonna operate there?!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Anybody know where I can grab a customed MLB shirsey? My dad is a huge Dick Allen fan and seemed really bummed about his passing, and I was hoping to get one of the retro shirts with Allen's name on it, but the MLB website doesn't have it available with the player name and you can only customize the much more expensive jerseys.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

you want listings like these: https://www.mlbshop.com/?query=personalized%20t-shirt&_ref=p-SRP:m-SEARCH

search for team name and "personalized t-shirt"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Pussy Boss posted:

Here's the 43 minor league teams who are no longer affiliated with MLB: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/12/09/mlb-announces-minor-league-affiliate-invites-some-teams-miss-cut/3805929001/ (Some of them will join one of the new indy leagues)

Aww the Lowell Spinners. :(

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

bawfuls posted:

you want listings like these: https://www.mlbshop.com/?query=personalized%20t-shirt&_ref=p-SRP:m-SEARCH

search for team name and "personalized t-shirt"

Thank you!

Hmm, I can get a Phillies shirt but not in the style I was looking for. Well, I'll give it a consideration at least.

e: Oh hey the Fisher Cats kept their affiliation, means I can continue walking to minor league games when it's actually safe to go again.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it’s done per heyman https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1337155447997001729?s=21

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

euphronius posted:

I hate the Phillies so much

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:rip: to all the dumb Brandon Lowe/Nate Lowe jokes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dombrowski is great why would anyone be upset about going from the last two doofuses that ran the Phillies to a guy who's taken 3 different teams to the World Series?

Like its confusing in that he generally does a lot of gambly moves that sells out for a World Series and the Phillies don't necessarily have the things he usually uses to do that, but he's also not a dumb idiot like the last two guys.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Best ERA in baseball over the past four years: Jacob deGrom, 2.52 ERA.
Mets record in deGrom's starts, past four years: 53-54

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bradenton goes from Hi-A to A-ball. Boo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chamale posted:

deGrom's career against the Braves: 23G, 1.94 ERA, 0.553 OOPS and he's 8-7 against them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bradenton goes from Hi-A to A-ball. Boo.
Yeah I go to a lot of FSL games and that sucks

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chamale posted:

Sounds like he should have worked on his batting

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bip Roberts posted:

Funny you say that, he has 17 RBI the last four years. He's lost two games 2-1 in which he had the lone RBI.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bip Roberts posted:

Most RBI by a pitcher over the past four years:

1. Jon Lester and German Marquez, 21
3. Zack Greinke, 17
4. Jacob deGrom and Carlos Martinez, 15

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Funny you say that, he has 17 RBI the last four years. He's lost two games 2-1 in which he had the lone RBI.

15 RBI the last four years, because he didn't bat in 2020. I think you included his two RBI from 2016.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hell yeah, Big Dinger Jon

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my position on the Designated Hitter is that they can only get rid of it in the NL after Kyle Hendricks hit a home run, if they want the DH they better get him on The Cream and The Clear

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's wild how much Lester turned himself around as a hitter. He went from complete loving laughingstock even amongst pitchers at the plate to having 3 career dingers and not being an automatic out. Hell he slashed .188/.264/.292 which was good for 0.5 oWAR, comparable to what half of our actual supposed hitters put up this year.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

I initially sat in the LF bleachers for the game he hit his first homer, which is where I usually sit, but moved to CF above the batter's eye because there was more room to spread out. Including Lester I think there were 5 cubs dingers hit to LF that game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

i can not wait for the Dodgers to squeeze another ~50 effective innings out of Brandon Morrow again for peanuts, laughing at the Cubs all the way

https://twitter.com/kengurnick/status/1337543597126631424

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'll never forget his walk off bunt. Excellent combo of Lester bat and the Mariners losing in terrific fashion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

i can not wait for the Dodgers to squeeze another ~50 effective innings out of Brandon Morrow again for peanuts, laughing at the Cubs all the way

https://twitter.com/kengurnick/status/1337543597126631424

It might take 4 years for him to throw 50 more innings.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

I'll never forget his walk off bunt. Excellent combo of Lester bat and the Mariners losing in terrific fashion.

also had the travis wood catch, the best non-playoff 2016 game that i watched in its entirety when baseball was cancelled

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mets making big splashes

https://twitter.com/jerryblevins/status/1337581866753384449?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Rangers signed David Dahl for $3 million/1 year. That could potentially be a great bargain if he can do anything close to what he did in 2019.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Rangers signed David Dahl for $3 million/1 year. That could potentially be a great bargain if he can do anything close to what he did in 2019.

ya definitely, he's not that far removed from being a big time prospect and i have no clue why the rockies dfa'd him unless they know something folks don't. def one of those prospect names one just kept hearing about for a while with the rockies, like brendan rodgers or ryan mcmahon, that just don't fully work out? or i play too much ootp

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

uggy posted:

ya definitely, he's not that far removed from being a big time prospect and i have no clue why the rockies dfa'd him unless they know something folks don't. def one of those prospect names one just kept hearing about for a while with the rockies, like brendan rodgers or ryan mcmahon, that just don't fully work out? or i play too much ootp
He's had health problems before, but I don't understand why you cut bait on a guy who has actually performed fine other than in the abbreviated 2020 season. He also only signed for $3 million which is nothing.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Rockies had to non-tender Dahl to make sure that they could give as many plate appearances as possible to washed up former Nationals.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

uggy posted:

The Rockies have always operated on a different plane than the rest of MLB, maybe they need to inhale more sea level air

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dahl has a whopping 1.0 career WAR and has spent basically his entire career up to this point being injured. His high for PA's in a season is 413. Also I know home/road splits don't tell the whole story and can be heavily pronounced on even non-Rockies players, but seriously:

Home: .318/.361/.556, 111 wRC+
Away: .248/.302/.420, 87 wRC+

I'm not convinced he's going to be good once you take him out of Coors even if he somehow manages to stay healthy for once in his life. I'm really glad the Rangers signed him because there were rumors the Cubs were kicking the tires.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Sure he's not amazing but I thought studies had shown that the coors effect wasn't really real once players got off the team? Like sure he's probably a 45 bat in CF with 40-45 defense and not great health but for that cost, there's no harm. That could be a solid player.

Fwar likes him a bit more too, seems like if he ever gets healthy he could put up a 3 win season.

Also, and this isn't like directed at you, Sydin, in particular, but is a thing with baseball these days - dahl is a former top prospect who is 26, plays an up the middle position, and has had a close to league average bat, it's insane that the reaction to him would be "not sure i want him on the team," especially at that cost. You can probably get 80 percent of him at league minimum unless he hits like a 90th percentile season, which is the reason he's available, but yikes at baseball

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If the Cubs already had a well set OF and were looking to bring in Dahl as a 4th OF who could potentially be lightning in a bottle then I would have been fine with it. But they absolutely would have brought him in with the idea that he would be the starting LF, which would be dumb a poo poo because of his past performance and injury history.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

dahl is a great pickup for a team that isn't really super expected to contend at a 3 million price point. If he gets hurt (like he always does) w/e he's 3 million, but if he ends up good he's still under team control until 2024.

but if you're the rockies well, there just comes a point where you cut bait even if keeping them is theoretically a good idea because you just get tired of 60 games a season of "potential"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ran across this fascinating-rear end old-time player, Ernie Orsatti, who split time between playing baseball and being a Hollywood silent-movie stuntman, including for Buster Keaton, who actually signed him to his first pro baseball contract: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/ernie-orsatti/

Once he made the majors he cut out the stunt work for a bit except

quote:

...during that 1934 season Orsatti made a brief return as an actor. On June 26, before a game against the Giants, a scene from a murder mystery, Death on the Diamond, was filmed at Sportsman’s Park. In the movie a number of Cardinals players are murdered as part of a plot to keep the team from making it to the World Series. The scene takes place late in the season, when the fictional Cardinals are fighting for the pennant. Orsatti played the role of a player who was shot to death while running the bases.9 A New York Times movie critic wrote that in the film the “hitherto unsuspected hazards of ball playing are described with an entertaining combination of humor and grim melancholy.”

He got married a few times, divorcing the first wife for “impairing his baseball efficiency by her ‘constant nagging and quarrelsome nature.’” Eventually had two sons, both of whom also became stuntmen, one of whom doubled for Schwarzenegger on The Terminator.

Perhaps not quite Moe Berg, and I'm sure he's old knowledge to some of you, but maybe not all?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets signed McCann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

4 years at around 10 per seems like way too much but what the hell do I know.