Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The fact that Sanji is stuck in a room with a ton of actual Yokai is giving me life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Genuinely surprised we have no T. Rex fighter here. I am at least thankful Oda switched up and gave some less popular dinosaurs and extinct creatures a shot. Was not expecting Black Maria to be a giant spider. I'm confused as to how her form works since she has a separate spider entity she'd kind of blooming out from like a SMILE User.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Was not expecting Black Maria to be a giant spider. I'm confused as to how her form works since she has a separate spider entity she'd kind of blooming out from like a SMILE User.

It works in a way that allows her to be both a spider as well as a pretty lady

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Her fruit works in a way that lets her look like a yokai.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Theres a pretty good theory on reddit that based on her fruit, how Oda has consistently portrayed her in the style of the other kind of famous japanese play style which name escapes me at the moment but uses giant puppets, even the noise her shamisen makes; all of this feeds into this theory that the big Black Maria we've seen all this time is a puppet controlled by the actual Maria spider. This also allows Oda to make her look like a Yokai of some kind, from what I understand.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Raposa posted:

Theres a pretty good theory on reddit that based on her fruit, how Oda has consistently portrayed her in the style of the other kind of famous japanese play style which name escapes me at the moment but uses giant puppets, even the noise her shamisen makes; all of this feeds into this theory that the big Black Maria we've seen all this time is a puppet controlled by the actual Maria spider. This also allows Oda to make her look like a Yokai of some kind, from what I understand.

Bunraku.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
All the dinosaur designs are so rad, it's obvious Oda had a blast coming up with them. My favorite detail is Sasaki's hat matching his beak.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/adlubescence/status/1338227627195297794?s=20

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Didn't notice until I read the official version, but the room Jimbei is defending is full of cat condos.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheLoneStar posted:

Genuinely surprised we have no T. Rex fighter here.

I'm expecting this to be Yamato's Fruit.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

The spreads were fun to look at, but not much happened this chapter, eh?
What happened was that Eiichiro Oda drew some fuckin amazing two-page spreads

Everyone owes it to themselves to read the chapter on desktop - it looks incredible! That shot of Black Maria and her girls leaning over Sanji is incredible! How can this guy draw this stuff in a week?!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I wonder if Who's Who is someone we’ve seen before, or maybe someone we’ve heard of but hasn’t been on panel.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Can’t wait to find out that Klahadore was actually in who’s who’s crew before starting his own.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

had to google who the gently caress that even is, why would you talk about Kuro using his fake name

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Star Platinum posted:

All the dinosaur designs are so rad, it's obvious Oda had a blast coming up with them.

i've got something that's gonna blow your mind

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I wonder if Who's Who is someone we’ve seen before, or maybe someone we’ve heard of but hasn’t been on panel.

It's gonna be someone no one recognizes, not even Jinbei.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's gonna be someone no one recognizes, not even Jinbei.

A real Flash/Lex Luthor moment

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Black Maria might also be an awakened Zoan and thus able to control her transformation in ways that are normally impossible for Zoan users.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Black Maria might also be an awakened Zoan and thus able to control her transformation in ways that are normally impossible for Zoan users.

or this is just how the half/half zoan form manifests for her (so she can be a freaky yokai lady) and we'll see her go full spider later on which will be enough for sanji to not see her as a woman or something dumb like that

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Maybe Oda just loves Driders

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I have no idea where anyone is in relation to one another or how far away they are, the size and layout of this building is hosed

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Terror Sweat posted:

I have no idea where anyone is in relation to one another or how far away they are, the size and layout of this building is hosed

It's a Mystery Building.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Pretty sure Who Who's is gonna be someone that used to be on Ace's crew.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Archenteron posted:

Mythic Rare: Enel's Moon Army descends

This guy knows what's up.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

IceBorg posted:

Pretty sure Who Who's is gonna be someone that used to be on Ace's crew.
Who’s Who was a pirate captain before he joined Kaido

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

HerraS posted:

had to google who the gently caress that even is, why would you talk about Kuro using his fake name

Klahadore is an infinitely funnier name

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Wait I just realized the fish is fighting a bunch of cats

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Come to think of it, we haven't really seen Jimbe lose or even be injured in a fight, have we?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

fish dad will never take an L, the man is just built different

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

Come to think of it, we haven't really seen Jimbe lose or even be injured in a fight, have we?

There was that one time he got punched so hard that it went straight through his shoulder and that’s how Luffy got scarred, and both him and Ace were looking pretty rough on their whatever-day fight.

But really, when you think about it, as a member of the Neo Monster Trio he’s obligated to take some lumps pre-skip.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Oden sounds kinda goofy... I like it

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1338499090997530627

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That is pretty mcuh spot on for the tone & inflection i read Oden's dialog with

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think the anime’s getting pretty close to starting the Oden flashback arc so this would make sense. It also would be nice if they retroactively added Yamato to the crowd scene during Oden’s execution but I’m not holding my breath on that.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I forgot how big Oden was.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Larryb posted:

I think the anime’s getting pretty close to starting the Oden flashback arc so this would make sense. It also would be nice if they retroactively added Yamato to the crowd scene during Oden’s execution but I’m not holding my breath on that.

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1323019182737399808

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKirbs posted:

I forgot how big Oden was.

I never realized he was that big.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

That's because we mostly saw him with the Scabbards who are also huge (except for Izo who's a little baby man).

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

XkyRauh posted:

Aside from before mentioned Akainu lava-fisting him and Ace fighting him to a standstill there was the time he got overwhelmed when he tried to block Big Mom's sword swing with haki-infused forearms. Granted, it's impressive he didn't lose both arms or get cloven in two.

Also, it's probably not canon, but in the anime they show Jinbe attempting to fight Mihawk during the Paramount War and it goes poorly for him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro is so cool

I really liked this chapter setting up all the one on ones, so long since we've had them and glad it seems we're locked into them for Wano. Curious most about Zoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

rannum posted:

That is pretty mcuh spot on for the tone & inflection i read Oden's dialog with

I mean, he's a kabuki hero. Might as well sound like one.