Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Went to Keystone today. Still odd to be around a lot of people. I think that will be the last weekend day we ride at the resort for the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hakuba is getting puked on right now and god drat it I wanna be there.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Any ice coasters in this thread? Wisp opened this past Friday and they're getting snow this week. Might drive out there this Wednesday

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What's the consensus on airbag avalanche packs?

I'm just getting into back country for the first time with my friend. We mostly just want to do somewhat low angle stuff in trees. We have the basics, probe, shovel, beacon. We are also taking the AIARE 1 course soon. Are the airbags just nice to have or would you not even go out without one?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Macnult posted:

Any ice coasters in this thread? Wisp opened this past Friday and they're getting snow this week. Might drive out there this Wednesday

Yep. Hope to head to the Canaan valley at some point, depends on how much we get in MD and how much I have to do at the house as a result

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Macnult posted:

I'm in NJ and Mountain Creek hasn't opened yet though they've been blowing when they can. We should get a touch of natural snow on Wednesday. NWAC which is a pure training facility already has its race team on the snow this week.

I ended up doing the dryland training with the kids which was 3 hours of mountain hiking which would have been fine if I didn't lift legs (squat and deadlift) right before the hike.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 14, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

What's the consensus on airbag avalanche packs?

I'm just getting into back country for the first time with my friend. We mostly just want to do somewhat low angle stuff in trees. We have the basics, probe, shovel, beacon. We are also taking the AIARE 1 course soon. Are the airbags just nice to have or would you not even go out without one?

It really depends. They are heavier although I don't find that to really be an issue (BCA Float 32). If you get caught in an avalanche with trees, cliffs, big terrain traps....It probably is not going to help you. Open faces with decent runout, It most likely will be effective. I hope I never have to try to pull the trigger outside of my living room. A good friend of mine was caught in an avalanche 2 years ago and he was able to deploy his airbag, he ended up on top, If it is the main reason he is alive, hard to say. He said if you want to simulate trying to pull the trigger roll down the stairs and try to pull it. I ride with one probably 80% of the time in the back country. I wouldn't rush out and get one as decision making and risk aversion is more important. I am the only one of my Colorado partners who rides with one. Eventually I think they will be a pretty standard piece of kit.

So I guess a bit better than a nice to have but not a requirement. Waiting a year or two is what I would do. Might be able to get a good deal this spring from people who used it just a few times.

E: V I would agree with ironlung

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 14, 2020

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

There's no real consensus... many consider airbags to be just as essential as beacon/shovel/probe but they're not yet universally considered to be non-negotiable like B/S/P.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Today was a great day of skiing considering the amount of terrain open. And we just got another hot email drop from the owner of the resort. I sincerely hope this pilled out Trump-style posting continues though the season.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Planet X posted:

Yep. Hope to head to the Canaan valley at some point, depends on how much we get in MD and how much I have to do at the house as a result

Yeah, if we get dumped on here I’m just grabbing my bungee and posting up in Baltimore. Itching to get to Wisp though even if there aren’t many trails open, but I’m really just trying to get my jibbing fix

Yuns posted:

I'm in NJ and Mountain Creek hasn't opened yet though they've been blowing when they can. We should get a touch of natural snow on Wednesday. NWAC which is a pure training facility already has its race team on the snow this week.

I ended up doing the dryland training with the kids which was 3 hours of mountain hiking which would have been fine if I didn't lift legs (squat and deadlift) right before the hike.

That’s what they’re calling for down here too. lol my dry land training has mostly just been mountain biking with a side of skating/surfing

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Macnult posted:

Any ice coasters in this thread?
I am in central VT. The pouring rain this morning with warm temps was very depressing. Forecast is not too promising, and I guess we'll be on only man made for a while yet.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Macnult posted:

riding out of MA, quarantine rules making it tough to go anywhere, but wachusett opening has been enough to scratch the itch

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Today was a great day of skiing considering the amount of terrain open. And we just got another hot email drop from the owner of the resort. I sincerely hope this pilled out Trump-style posting continues though the season.

They're so much more fun than the Vail CEO just sending a letter to people saying he knows the customer service has been total dogshit and that he hopes it'll get better in the coming months (as ski season ends lol)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Current storm cycle is producing good snow in CO. I found a few pockets on Ajax yesterday that were so deep I was seriously concerned about sinking.

Gonna go help with "quality control" and test conditions on Highlands today before work.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat it. We have a snow storm coming on Wednesday in NJ but no opening day yet.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

A few quotes from yesterday’s brain worms e-mail:

-When you ski/ snowboard, hike, walk down steps, cross icy areas, consider backing off 10% from your normal pace. It is amazing how this small adjustment can reduce your risk. You can even apply this to driving on our roads. We've had enough accidents already.

-They need to take care of their families and pay rent. I am willing to ski just a little slower to protect their livelihoods. (thank u for ur sacrifice Chuck o7)

-Lift 5 opened yesterday with 4 and 6 planned to open this week (lift 4 is the first lift that opens on opening day, three weeks ago)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm so curious as to how having fewer accidents leads to people keeping their livelihoods.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I refer you to point 1:
“It would be a plus for none of us to be hospitalized from an accident and miss the ski season.”

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Today was wild crowded at the local resort, Mt. Hood Meadows. They don't run all their lifts on the weekdays but it had a weekend sized crowd, so it was awful. I wasn't having a particularly good time so I left after 2 runs and came home early, but on the positive side I took my last test needed to finish my degree, and got 100% on it, so I am in a great mood! I am hoping that Tuesday will be a lot harder for other people to take off and it will be less crowded, but who knows?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm so curious as to how having fewer accidents leads to people keeping their livelihoods.

Perhaps "we've cut down on staffing so accident response times is going to be up in the lawsuit area".

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ola posted:

Perhaps "we've cut down on staffing so accident response times is going to be up in the lawsuit area".

Part of what level on the Covid color wheel the county is in, in Colorado at least, is based around ICU bed units available. So if you have people just breaking themselves left and right and getting into ICU type issues then less beds are available. So I would say he is saying back off a bit and not get more people in the hospital and not have to shut down the resort (and the livelihoods of all the people who work there and support guests elsewhere).

E: Kind of in that same line of thinking I was wondering if the parks would open this year at resorts. I would think there is higher injury risk there. I know they are open at vail resorts (at least keystone) so I guess they are going for it.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 15, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Are Smith helmets and goggles still well regarded? My life circumstances have largely prevented me from participating in the sport for the last 5+ years :(

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am really happy with my Smith helmet, but can't speak to their goggles. I use outdoor master goggles and have liked them.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

They're nice but they fit very round. So if your head is more oval shaped (longer front to back than wide) it may not fit well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

goggle and helmets are yet another category of gear it is best to try on in person in a shop before pulling the trigger, everyone's shaped a bit different

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Outdoor Master goggles are inexpensive enough (in the world of ski gear) that it would be reasonable to order a pair. They are I think about $50 for a set that comes with the lense and the goggle, and you can buy just the lenses. I have about 3 or 4 goggles from them and maybe 10 lenses and really like them. I see that some of the other goggle brands are like 100-200 for one set and I have not tried those, as that seemed really pricey.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

denereal visease posted:

Are Smith helmets and goggles still well regarded?

Yes.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

denereal visease posted:

Are Smith helmets and goggles still well regarded? My life circumstances have largely prevented me from participating in the sport for the last 5+ years :(

Smith Squad XL goggles w/ a Smith Code helmet is my setup. The Squad XLs do a great job of venting my overly sweaty face during humid PNW days, and the helmet is the first one I've been able to wear on my big rear end noggin w/ beanies/goggs underneath.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

They're nice but they fit very round. So if your head is more oval shaped (longer front to back than wide) it may not fit well.
I would love to hear recommendations for long oval helmets. Shopping online for my Xenomorph-esque skull is awful. Anything that barely fits front-to back has a huge silhouette and lots of space on the sides. I ended up buying a Giro Combyn "Soft Shell" helmet that flexes a bit and fits better overall, but I admit it's not as much protection and I'd like to correct that.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

denereal visease posted:

Short answer, yes. Definitely go to a local shop to try them on though. Last year I was going to buy a Smith Mission, but found that Giro’s Neo fit me better (practically the same helmet w/r/t all the bells and whistles).
I upgraded to Anon M4 goggles this year and before that I had Smith IOs which I had zero complaints about.
Welcome back by the way. I was on a 4 year hiatus from riding after having to endure two labrum repairs on my left shoulder. Feels good to be back on the mountain

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Smith Squad + Smith Holt helmet, I like em both. Wouldnt normally have bought the goggles but they did a collab with 686 and it was a jacket/goggle combo. They fit good and are pretty low profile compared to spherical lens Oakley Crowbars I used to wear.

whats the over/under on goggles over/under helmets? is there a 'proper' way? I find the goggles over the helmet tends to help with stopping the helmet bouncing around a bit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I like goggle strapped to back of helmet, it keeps everything tight and secure.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

I would love to hear recommendations for long oval helmets. Shopping online for my Xenomorph-esque skull is awful. Anything that barely fits front-to back has a huge silhouette and lots of space on the sides. I ended up buying a Giro Combyn "Soft Shell" helmet that flexes a bit and fits better overall, but I admit it's not as much protection and I'd like to correct that.

Trust me when I say my head is very large and very oddly shaped. Xenomorph skull is accurate, haha. My neck is very strong. I had a K2 phase pro in size L/XL that was super comfortable. I needed a new helmet, so I just finished doing a bunch of helmet shopping, a/b trying on Smith, K2, Salomon, giro, etc. By far the most comfortable was K2. Even trying on Smith vantage or Altus in XL, which is theoretically bigger, there was definitely a squeeze on my forehead and temples. I ended up with a K2 diversion in size L/XL. As soon as I put it on it was obvious.

Edit: phase pro is more comfortable than the diversion and felt like it fit a biiit better, but the diversion is lighter weight and I'll be using it for touring.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 15, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I refer you to point 1:
“It would be a plus for none of us to be hospitalized from an accident and miss the ski season.”

Haha yeah I mean sure, but also this is true all the time, and sometimes you just gotta get sendy.

spwrozek posted:

Part of what level on the Covid color wheel the county is in, in Colorado at least, is based around ICU bed units available. So if you have people just breaking themselves left and right and getting into ICU type issues then less beds are available. So I would say he is saying back off a bit and not get more people in the hospital and not have to shut down the resort (and the livelihoods of all the people who work there and support guests elsewhere).

E: Kind of in that same line of thinking I was wondering if the parks would open this year at resorts. I would think there is higher injury risk there. I know they are open at vail resorts (at least keystone) so I guess they are going for it.

Oh yeah, this makes a lot of sense.

Ola posted:

Unfortunately, so does this!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The only time it's acceptable to wear your goggles under your helmet is if you're hitting the XL jumps in the park and if you don't look like that's where you belong skill wise you look like a Jerry :colbert:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

as much as helmets are common place these days in resorts i still feel like Im not doing anything that really necessitates a helmet until Im in the park.

I often think about having a helmet free day but I'd miss my headphones too much.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

helmets on a groomer protect you against the idiocy of others who may crash into you

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Laserface posted:

whats the over/under on goggles over/under helmets? is there a 'proper' way? I find the goggles over the helmet tends to help with stopping the helmet bouncing around a bit.

Goggles under the helmet if you ride park and wear tall tees. Otherwise over.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

as much as helmets are common place these days in resorts i still feel like Im not doing anything that really necessitates a helmet until Im in the park.

I often think about having a helmet free day but I'd miss my headphones too much.

People have literally died on green runs from falling over while not wearing a helmet but ok you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bawfuls posted:

helmets on a groomer protect you against the idiocy of others who may crash into you

HookShot posted:

People have literally died on green runs from falling over while not wearing a helmet but ok you do you.

yeah this is also at front of mind when i contemplate it.