Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Good selling point for when you sell too

Yeah even those like, wall bridge things (just a cat 6 outlet on each side of a wall connected together, don’t know what they’re called) would be awesome just in case things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fragrag posted:

I bought a house and I want to install a robust wired network setup while it's being renovated. Are there any blatant faults in my following design? I'm not sure running cables through the walls is possible so I'm a bit worried of how thick the bundle of 5 CAT6 would be if I have to run it through the floor.

EDIT: The second floor 'living room' is actually the bedroom.

If you are already making drywall dust just make more, it's impossible to tell the difference between 3 holes and 25 from a "oh god why is there dust everywhere" standpoint. Put a drop everywhere and don't look back. Put in conduit if you're serious about making holes. Put drops in the ceiling (you can always conceal them with a faceplate) for wifi mounting.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have links to good guides/checklists for setting up a new home net with VLANs, unifi, pihole et el?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Fragrag posted:

I bought a house and I want to install a robust wired network setup while it's being renovated. Are there any blatant faults in my following design? I'm not sure running cables through the walls is possible so I'm a bit worried of how thick the bundle of 5 CAT6 would be if I have to run it through the floor.

EDIT: The second floor 'living room' is actually the bedroom.

Main thing to remember is if you're running one wire somewhere, run at least two. For very little added effort you have redundancy and expansion builtin, even if you don't terminate any of them at first.

And for the love of god, label everything at both ends.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Would it kill you folks who post "ubiquiti bad" to actually explain what you're talking about once in a while? I honestly have no idea what these posts are referring to or whether there's something that I, as a user of the Unifi controller, should be concerned about.

Ubiquiti is one of the few brands where I absolutely try to live behind the latest versions / let everyone else suffer first. I'm on 5.14 as well, and EdgeOS 1.x branch (I guess I have to update now, though). The forum posts on 6.x made it seem like they broke some really, really dumb + obvious poo poo that should have never gotten past QC so I figure I will just wait until some device forces me to upgrade.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Asus ZenWifi AX's when used with only one base? My house is ~2500 square feet but and I have a total of ~10 devices on all three levels. I don't think I need two stations, and I'm trying to decide between the the Asus and a TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000/Archer AX50, or maybe the Archer AX6000.

I bet 1 Zenwifi AX would work for you. My house is a ranch with an addition, so extra long. But if you've got three floors I'd have to imagine putting one Zen on the middle floor ought to work fine. I have my two positioned to completely blanket my entire property (0.6 acres). My house is just about dead center and I get an acceptable signal at every point along the property boundary.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What's the opinion on MoCA adapters? I was hoping to get a few ethernet ports and access points to some hard to reach corners of the house without too much hassle. I got a pair of the Actiontec ECB7250 MoCA adapters to try it out and they seemed to work pretty well, I was able to max out my gigabit connection no problem. Before I buy another pair I wanted to see what the thread thought of these things.

So far I only have the office & family room MoCA adapters plugged in.

I noticed that the Arris SB8200 cable modem shows up as a device on my network now, appearing as being connected to the port where the office MoCA adapter is plugged in, but not with the MAC that is listed on the label of the modem. It did not seem to grab an IP address. What's that all about?

I also see one of the Comcast boxes (the little mini one) which appears on the network as well after adding the MoCA adapters, and it has an IP address assigned.

It seems like the speeds are fine but these devices hopping on the network don't seem really ideal to me. I can always just block them but is there something else I should be doing here?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 13, 2020

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Neurostorm posted:

Just pulled the trigger: the free shipping sadly does not apply (looked briefly for something cheap to add in, but shipping was only like $4.50 so didn’t look very hard).

For setting this up once it comes in, is it as simple as just swapping the two access points out, or will I need to fiddle around in the edge router settings?

Alright my unifi 6 lite access point arrived, but I think I may actually need a new PoE injector. I have an old one (GP-A240-050G), but from looking at the product info it looks like I might need a 48V PoE injector to drive the new AP -- is that right? If so are there any in particular I should grab (all I have is the edge router + one AP)? Thanks thread.

Edit: Could I also just get a 48V power adapter for the edgerouter and then do PoE through that without an injector?

Neurostorm fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 13, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a desktop PC with 10Gbe ethernet and a 3080 GPU, and a laptop with Wifi 6 and an OLED screen.

If I want to stream the desktop using Nvidia Gamestream + Moonlight at the highest bitrate possible, I assume what I'd want is a Wifi router with both Wifi 6 and 10Gbe ports? If so what's the least expensive one that'd have those?

I found this one that looks like a dead spider but it's a little eye-watering at $450: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX89X-802-11ax-6000Mbps-10GBase-T/dp/B085JNGTQM

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 13, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I have a desktop PC with 10Gbe ethernet and a 3080 GPU, and a laptop with Wifi 6 and an OLED screen.

If I want to stream the desktop using Nvidia Gamestream + Moonlight at the highest bitrate possible, I assume what I'd want is a Wifi router with both Wifi 6 and 10Gbe ports? If so what's the least expensive one that'd have those?

I found this one that looks like a dead spider but it's a little eye-watering at $450: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX89X-802-11ax-6000Mbps-10GBase-T/dp/B085JNGTQM

You signed up for eye watering to be frank. I don't know if that device is what you want but it sounds right, and is surprisingly cheap.

Also buy a crowbar I've seen how that turns out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

You signed up for eye watering to be frank. I don't know if that device is what you want but it sounds right, and is surprisingly cheap.

Looking further I found a $320 Qnap, and it looks a lot more subtle... https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Dual-SD-WAN-Router-QHora-301W/dp/B08MQT9ZCX

So I mean, maybe there's still room to go?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

DO you have greater than 1000Gb internet? Does anyone? I think a normal gigabit/wifi 6 router should be fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

redeyes posted:

DO you have greater than 1000Gb internet? Does anyone? I think a normal gigabit/wifi 6 router should be fine.

I mean at work I do :q:

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

Neurostorm posted:

Alright my unifi 6 lite access point arrived, but I think I may actually need a new PoE injector. I have an old one (GP-A240-050G), but from looking at the product info it looks like I might need a 48V PoE injector to drive the new AP -- is that right? If so are there any in particular I should grab (all I have is the edge router + one AP)? Thanks thread.

Edit: Could I also just get a 48V power adapter for the edgerouter and then do PoE through that without an injector?

Yeah, the old 24v passive injector won't work. You want an injector that uses the 802.3af 48v standard. There is an official Ubiquiti one, but I'd just grab whatever one has decent reviews.

I wouldn't bother trying to do passthrough with the edgerouter.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

MajesticTrout posted:

Yeah, the old 24v passive injector won't work. You want an injector that uses the 802.3af 48v standard. There is an official Ubiquiti one, but I'd just grab whatever one has decent reviews.

I wouldn't bother trying to do passthrough with the edgerouter.

Perfect, thanks!

Edit: so like this one? https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-accessories/products/u-poe-af

Neurostorm fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 13, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I explained, I'm streaming 4K from the desktop PC (which has 10gig ethernet) to a 4K laptop that has Wifi 6, over the wlan. No internet is involved. So if I can push more than a gigabit over wifi, the stream is going to look better and have less compression artifacting. Anyway I ordered the Qnap router and I'll let everyone know how that goes. The RTX 3080 might actually choke on HEVC encoding (or introduce too much latency) at bitrates that high, but I don't think anyone has ever tried and documented before, so here we go. It might actually have less latency with h.264 but then three bitrate doubles again to keep the same quality.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

yup

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I explained, I'm streaming 4K from the desktop PC (which has 10gig ethernet) to a 4K laptop that has Wifi 6, over the wlan. No internet is involved. So if I can push more than a gigabit over wifi, the stream is going to look better and have less compression artifacting. Anyway I ordered the Qnap router and I'll let everyone know how that goes. The RTX 3080 might actually choke on HEVC encoding (or introduce too much latency) at bitrates that high, but I don't think anyone has ever tried and documented before, so here we go. It might actually have less latency with h.264 but then three bitrate doubles again to keep the same quality.

I look forward to hearing about it. The more available bandwidth the less work per frame the GPU needs to do to maintain the same quality. Goon speed.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

What's the opinion on MoCA adapters? I was hoping to get a few ethernet ports and access points to some hard to reach corners of the house without too much hassle. I got a pair of the Actiontec ECB7250 MoCA adapters to try it out and they seemed to work pretty well, I was able to max out my gigabit connection no problem. Before I buy another pair I wanted to see what the thread thought of these things.

So far I only have the office & family room MoCA adapters plugged in.

I noticed that the Arris SB8200 cable modem shows up as a device on my network now, appearing as being connected to the port where the office MoCA adapter is plugged in, but not with the MAC that is listed on the label of the modem. It did not seem to grab an IP address. What's that all about?

I also see one of the Comcast boxes (the little mini one) which appears on the network as well after adding the MoCA adapters, and it has an IP address assigned.

It seems like the speeds are fine but these devices hopping on the network don't seem really ideal to me. I can always just block them but is there something else I should be doing here?

Anybody gonna dissuade me from my plan? Are these MoCA adapters just not very commonly used?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use Actiontec MoCa adapters but I've never seen other devices on my network like that. Maybe it's something built in to newer cable boxes? There's nothing about your plan that jumps out at me as problematic.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I think comcast and other satellite boxes, like TiVo, also use MoCA to communicate back to the primary box. I am not too sure whether other devices that support MoCA on the same network would cause a problem but since you seem to have good speed it's probably not an issue. One thing you probably want to do since I didn't see you mention it is grab a MoCA filter for the coax line coming in to your home. This will keep your MoCA network from leaking out/being exposed.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I use Actiontec MoCa adapters but I've never seen other devices on my network like that. Maybe it's something built in to newer cable boxes? There's nothing about your plan that jumps out at me as problematic.

Ok good to hear, thanks!

withoutclass posted:

I think comcast and other satellite boxes, like TiVo, also use MoCA to communicate back to the primary box. I am not too sure whether other devices that support MoCA on the same network would cause a problem but since you seem to have good speed it's probably not an issue. One thing you probably want to do since I didn't see you mention it is grab a MoCA filter for the coax line coming in to your home. This will keep your MoCA network from leaking out/being exposed.

Thanks! Yeah I was reading about that and made sure to double check my communications box to confirm that it did in fact have a POEGB-1GCW in place on the service line before going into the 8-way splitter

I'm gonna block these comcast boxes on the network and see if the DVR functionality still works as normal

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

Ok good to hear, thanks!

Thanks! Yeah I was reading about that and made sure to double check my communications box to confirm that it did in fact have a POEGB-1GCW in place on the service line before going into the 8-way splitter

I'm gonna block these comcast boxes on the network and see if the DVR functionality still works as normal

If you have multi room dvr where you can watch in different rooms then it uses moca unless there is an ethernet port dedicated to it. (TiVo + mini uses ethernet for example, the mini doesn't have an f-connector.)

You probably need to split and filter your arris to 8way to prevent your home network from being your neighbors. Basically plug the main wire from the street straight into the arris, then the rest into the 8way. Otherwise 2way before the 8way and pray you have enough signal left. Put a moca filter between the 2way and 8way.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

I look forward to hearing about it. The more available bandwidth the less work per frame the GPU needs to do to maintain the same quality. Goon speed.

Hmm my adventure was cut short, turns out Nvidia puts a hard cap on the Gamestream bitrate of 150mbit. So I don't get to hit a Gb, nevermind 10Gb.

150mbit HEVC seems to look almost as good as native for 4K@60 except that in dark scenes I can see color banding with fluttering compression artifacts in those bands. Think a really dim room with a dim spotlight against a wall, or "stealth" vignetting. Those seem to look bad while daytime scenes are all perfect. Unfortunately Cyberpunk uses a real lot of moody lighting.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

H110Hawk posted:

You probably need to split and filter your arris to 8way to prevent your home network from being your neighbors. Basically plug the main wire from the street straight into the arris, then the rest into the 8way. Otherwise 2way before the 8way and pray you have enough signal left. Put a moca filter between the 2way and 8way.

I thought the POE MoCA filter that I already have between the service line and the 8 way would prevent my home network from being accessible by neighbors?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

I thought the POE MoCA filter that I already have between the service line and the 8 way would prevent my home network from being accessible by neighbors?

This may be, I am not experienced with any of the equipment you're futzing with and just saw input side of the surfboard going to the same box as your MoCA network. If you see how you're filtering it in the manuals or whatever carry on!

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm my adventure was cut short, turns out Nvidia puts a hard cap on the Gamestream bitrate of 150mbit. So I don't get to hit a Gb, nevermind 10Gb.

150mbit HEVC seems to look almost as good as native for 4K@60 except that in dark scenes I can see color banding with fluttering compression artifacts in those bands. Think a really dim room with a dim spotlight against a wall, or "stealth" vignetting. Those seem to look bad while daytime scenes are all perfect. Unfortunately Cyberpunk uses a real lot of moody lighting.

Womp Womp. I hope you're still buying this absurd router?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

Womp Womp. I hope you're still buying this absurd router?

Yeah it's on my job's work from home allowance so why not.

On another topic, I have Xfinity at my house but I'm staying somewhere else for a while. At this new location the next door neighbors have an Xfinity router which provides the official "Xfinity Hotspot" service; I log in to a browser with my account and it gives me an unlimited 25/5 wifi connection from extra bandwidth that is reserved for Hotspot users.

The problem is my wifi router is expecting ethernet WAN input. When I get the new router, is there some way to flash the old router into a bridge that will convert the Xfinity wifi back to ethernet, to plug into the new router, so that all my devices can be networked to each other and also have internet? I'm not sure how I could get to their webpage to sign in that way though. Maybe sign in with a device then change the router to spoof that MAC?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I looked back the last few pages but couldn't find a default wireless router recommendation. I currently have an ArcherC5, the original one, from like 2014 or something and was looking into a newer device that possibly had a bit better range and supported the newer wireless protocols.
Or maybe my router is fine(?) and a simple mesh network would be a better investment?
Any suggestions?

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 16, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

On another topic, I have Xfinity at my house but I'm staying somewhere else for a while. At this new location the next door neighbors have an Xfinity router which provides the official "Xfinity Hotspot" service; I log in to a browser with my account and it gives me an unlimited 25/5 wifi connection from extra bandwidth that is reserved for Hotspot users.

The problem is my wifi router is expecting ethernet WAN input. When I get the new router, is there some way to flash the old router into a bridge that will convert the Xfinity wifi back to ethernet, to plug into the new router, so that all my devices can be networked to each other and also have internet? I'm not sure how I could get to their webpage to sign in that way though. Maybe sign in with a device then change the router to spoof that MAC?

I can't remember how competent Xfinity infosec is, but this probably won't work. You'll have multiple MAC addresses behind a single device and it might just kick you off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know - I have Xfinity but bought my own modem and router so they can't use me as a hotspot. I've also never used an Xfinity hotspot when I'm out.

From the Xfinity page I wonder if it would let you connect using the router if you signed in with your Xfinity username and password:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/about-xfinity-wifi-internet

Alternatively, as a Rube Goldberg approach, I wonder if using a cellphone to connect to the wifi, then a USB to ethernet adapter to tether the router to the cellphone would work.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Buff Hardback posted:

I can't remember how competent Xfinity infosec is, but this probably won't work. You'll have multiple MAC addresses behind a single device and it might just kick you off.

What they're trying to do should hide the MACs. I'm not sure how to do it with a consumer grade router but using a wireless signal for WAN should be theoretically possible. The bigger problem is, performance will be absolute dog poo poo. Better off just connecting all your wireless devices to the public wifi and accepting that you won't have your own network for a bit. The only thing that needs to be hard wired these days is a desktop PC, and you can buy a wireless card (or external USB dongle) for dirt cheap.

e: the xfinity portion of it is the easy part. I don't have comcast but with my ISP, I can go to the website and specify a MAC to register. Just register the MAC of your router and you can connect to it just like any other SSID. I have no reason to believe every other ISP has the same option because it's pretty necessary for devices with no or lovely internet browsers.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 17, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Okay after some googling it looks like there's some products on the market that do this natively. Often marketed as travel or pocket routers, looks like people mainly use them as a repeater for hotel wifi. Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...tag=googhydr-20? I'm sure you can pay more for a more powerful router but I'm cheap and I don't think it'd be necessary considering the speeds.

If the range sucks then you can always use another router in AP mode to extend the range but, again, your performance is gonna be dog poo poo. Those hotspots that ISPs broadcast out of their routers run on terrible hardware and are QOSed real hard. Your neighbor's gonna start streaming netflix and your whole network is gonna go to poo poo. It'll work, but it'll probably be a pretty frustrating experience in the long term. Again, I think your best bet would just be to skip the middle man and connect everything individually to the wifi.

Depending on how long you stay at this temp location, you may consider just moving your account over. If you use the existing modem from the house and there's already a hookup at the temp home it should be a relatively painless process.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 17, 2020

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

H110Hawk posted:

This may be, I am not experienced with any of the equipment you're futzing with and just saw input side of the surfboard going to the same box as your MoCA network. If you see how you're filtering it in the manuals or whatever carry on!

I'm not experienced with it either :(

I think I'm gonna put MoCA filters in front of the modem and cable boxes so they are isolated away from my MoCA network, just to be safe

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

I'm not experienced with it either :(

I think I'm gonna put MoCA filters in front of the modem and cable boxes so they are isolated away from my MoCA network, just to be safe

There is a minimum 1 spot where you need a MoCA filter - street to mpoe (main point of entry, the absolute first cable coming in.) everything after that is however you need to segment your network.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Minimum spacing for unshielded ethernet from AC wiring is 16". The ideal is running ethernet in a conduit.

I want to set up a rack with a 220V circuit and a switch that will be sort of a central hub for various links coming in from around the house, so the cables will be running in parallel to the AC power lines, coming out of the ceiling to the switch.

Could I instead do it the opposite way and instead of having the ethernet in metallic conduit, would the conduit that the AC will be running in, down the wall to the outlet be enough?

I'll be running Cat6A for 10gbe here but there will also probably be unshielded cat5e for at least some runs that don't need 6A.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

'Sup. I had to do something like this when I had to move at the beginning of COVID, and was going to be without internet until Comcast figured out their practices for safely setting things up. There are two ways to log into Xfinity Hotspot. One will be the usual captive portal, the other is through your OS, and instead of prompting you for a Wifi password, it will prompt you for a username and password instead. I used this latter one most of the time, though, I was forced to use the former once in a while. I suspect the latter is 5GHz, the former 2.4GHz.

I used this cheap loving piece of crap TP-Link range extender. https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re205/ It was a piece of crap. I cannot emphasize what a piece of poo poo this thing was. I paid $20 for it at my local Home Depot, and when I was done, I returned it. My latencies went up, as you might expect, but the signal was more stable than it was, going through their residential exterior wall, and then my residential exterior wall.

At any rate, this, I plugged in, and mounted to a post out in the middle of the tiny-rear end backyard so that it would have a better chance of hooking to the signal than through residential walls, ran power and ethernet to it, and then put the credentials for the 5GHz band into it, so it would continually relog into it. I was not plugging it into a router, but after setting it up, I do not know why you would not be able to plug it into the WAN port of a router instead. Router doesn't care how you get internet, so long as you can get a ping.

Good luck on figuring out how to nondestructively get the Ethernet cable into the house in the middle of winter, even as mild as it is. That was the hardest part. I at least had the benefit of it being the end of spring/beginning of summer, so I didn't have weatherproofing to have to deal with.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I am a very bad and dumb networking person. Simple question: I've heard anecdotally that the 6x UniFi firmware is dogshit; has this changed or should I still stay away? Currently on 5.11x.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

I am a very bad and dumb networking person. Simple question: I've heard anecdotally that the 6x UniFi firmware is dogshit; has this changed or should I still stay away? Currently on 5.11x.

I think you mean 6.x controller software?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Ah, correct. Like I said, I actively try and avoid networking whenever possible but it keeps nagging me whenever I login.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What I'm about to say isn't necessarily that helpful but I'm running my UDM on the current release of 6 and it's been fine. I'm not doing anything wild I'll admit, but I'm yet to personally see the horror stories.