Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

E. Revenant posted:

This cube has Skysoverign so even the slowest and dumbest players with the most useless decks can still win from nothing. Can we get something other than power cubes just once? I get blown out by mythic luck fucks enough in regular drafts. /vent

The last Arena cube a few months ago was underpowered and more synergy based, the crafter's cube or whatever it was called, but it also sucked because for some reason there was no removal in the format so it was just a race to cast a big green creature and then turn it sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Funkdreamer posted:

Out of curiosity, how often do you guys get network/connection errors which force a restart of the program

I don't at all, that I can think of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao at the daily deal in the store being JUST ugins. uginpalooza

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Hello I am very bad at cube please come help me not be as bad. Dunno why the rest of p1p1 is missing but I went for the card that might keep me open in other/multiple colors before ending up with not an exciting range of colors

https://www.17lands.com/draft/dcff46bc1ac5498d93219ff3e2748842

Also please help me with deck cuts, still need 4 down and maybe 2 lands should be cut? Hard to tell since I have a big top end

https://www.17lands.com/deck/dcff46bc1ac5498d93219ff3e2748842

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wanna kick the guy who made the matchmaking algorithm for arena in the shins

trying out temur adventures, and the last six matchups have been a red/blue draw deck and LITERALLY half a dozen mono-red embercleave aggro decks in a row

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hosed up when randomness causes bad things to happen to me :( oh well time to boot up Arena

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Captain Invictus posted:

trying out temur adventures, and the last six matchups have been a red/blue draw deck and LITERALLY half a dozen mono-red embercleave aggro decks in a row

I play against that Izzet draw deck now and then and just have to admire how a deck that's so synergistic can be so underwhelming.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Sounds like some valuable testing data to me.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Squiggly posted:

Hello I am very bad at cube please come help me not be as bad. Dunno why the rest of p1p1 is missing but I went for the card that might keep me open in other/multiple colors before ending up with not an exciting range of colors

https://www.17lands.com/draft/dcff46bc1ac5498d93219ff3e2748842

Also please help me with deck cuts, still need 4 down and maybe 2 lands should be cut? Hard to tell since I have a big top end

https://www.17lands.com/deck/dcff46bc1ac5498d93219ff3e2748842

I'd cut Ayata. Bolas's Citadel, Command the Dreadhorde, Blossoming Defense, Blackbloom Rogue and 1 land and put in Obosh and either Witch's Cauldron or Wilt. Probably Wilt. Leaving in Citadel or Command instead of Obosh is also understandable, I just prefer the safety of an okay creature over big flashy cards that might not do anything or might also win the game.

I found aggro red decks less common in Trad cube, and proceeded to be a giant hypocrite and go 3-0 with a boros aggro deck

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Did they turn off the grace matching for the precon decks? Rolled a 30 Blue/Green quest today and didn't really feel like jamming something together, but it's mostly been putting me against Rogue decks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ugin pisses me off. What do you even do against him apart from countering the spell? You don't have a chance to do anything before he wipes the whole board.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beat them before they get the mana for it, and it's not even a total board wipe, colorless and expensive stuff like great henge aren't affected by a drop turn ugin exile ability

As someone who had to entirely rely on ugin against some types of decks, it's got some serious weaknesses. yeah it's real good for clearing the board of stubborn kroxas stains forever and what have you, but unless you've gone all in and haven't held back at all, a lot of decks can rebound pretty quickly after an ugin wipe.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 14, 2020

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Ugin pisses me off. What do you even do against him apart from countering the spell? You don't have a chance to do anything before he wipes the whole board.
Removal targeting planeswalkers, maybe being able to blink your permanents, or destroy your own permanents if you can recur them. Any colorless cards you play won't get exiled by his ability.

Some decks are just more vulnerable to him, especially when you tend to have a lot of stuff on the table.

^^^^
I think the decks that make best use of him are those grindy ones that tax your resources and then drop Ugin as a finisher.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It was worse when he could show up on turn 5. I feel like the decks that are going to run ugin have a play pattern that’s easy to spot. At which point you need either the interaction like a counter, or you need to prepare for a wipe and have an after plan for rebuilding. So, Haste creatures. Maybe some graveyard recursion and ways to sac your stuff if you’re in red or black to dodge the exile. Artifact creatures. Playing bant I keep one spark Hunter manticore in my sideboard and have a way to tutor it out, I hold back an elspeth conquers death if I think there’s an ugin and I try and find my counters ASAP, then in sideboard I bring in more counters, the manticore and drop a lot of the useless creature removal since those decks are ramping into ugin and holding up interaction. Brazen borrower is also good against ugin, shark typhoon is good. Other decent artifact creatures to have in the sideboard are stonecoil Serpent.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

unless you've gone all in and haven't held back at all, a lot of decks can rebound pretty quickly after an ugin wipe.

My current decks pretty much only know how to do this or don't quite have the muster to rebuild after a total wipe. That being said I somehow didn't know about Sparkhunter Masticore, which is an extremely easy slot-in into my GW Indestructible deck. My poor Black Auras deck can do nothing against him though. Any good mono-B planeswalker removal?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

bloodchief's thirst, murderous rider, eliminate

more stuff in historic

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Eat to extinction same cost as blood chiefs thirst in that situation at instant speed.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

E. Revenant posted:

This cube has Skysoverign so even the slowest and dumbest players with the most useless decks can still win from nothing. Can we get something other than power cubes just once? I get blown out by mythic luck fucks enough in regular drafts. /vent
The Tinkerer's Cube will be on best of three in January

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

resistentialism posted:

bloodchief's thirst, murderous rider, eliminate

more stuff in historic

How TF have I not noticed that Murderous Rider can target planeswalkers? That'll make things a lot easier for me, lol

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
All I know about this cube event is Lurrus looks cute in the Helm of the Host :3:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
in 'who cares' news i aced a trad cube draft :toot:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1a91704be5324f01891048a81035c05a

i just ran orzhov aggro and ran over some durdly piles before they could go off. the draft felt really good and it was nice to see it perform according to my expectations for once. the final boss of this run clawed back from 1 life with the help of a midnight clock i couldn't stop, but without that recursion for games 2 and 3, they couldn't keep up with my removal.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Managed to go 2-1 with this pile in traditional Cube. Some of the funnest games of Magic I've ever played.

WARNING: VIEW DECK CONTENTS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Why yes, the Wilderness Reclamation WAS my first pick. And yes, that is 40 individual cards.

Kurash fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 14, 2020

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey all the ultimate DRAFT MASTAHS ITT, I’d love to see some of you get some street cred and flex your chops against REEL GAMERZ, ever consider hosting a limited tourney for goons? This woman is hosting one for streamers, seems like you could do this pretty easily. You could all just put $5 in and then winner gets to buy gems or something?

https://twitter.com/janaamarichan/status/1338013506243710976?s=21

Let’s see a Little Munchkin vs Lone Goat feature match as you slug it out in T4! I believe in goons ability to achieve!

goon events are always so hard to arrange but I'd probably play if people wanted to and it was on the weekend while I'm awake.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

boo_radley posted:

All I know about this cube event is Lurrus looks cute in the Helm of the Host :3:

All I know about cube draft is that I managed to drop a turn three green gearhulk followed up by a Polukranos and still managed to lose because my opponent somehow got an even more insane draw than that and milled me out before I could take them down. That was an intense game of Magic. Went 7-2 with that deck and had a poo poo load of fun with it. My other favorite moment was throwing down an 16/17 voracious hydra on turn five and my opponent just nope's out.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 14, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, what the gently caress is up with scrying in arena

I've lost two games now to scrying for exactly what I needed, and then...the cards aren't the same as what I scryed. I scryed a lotus cobra and beast, put them both on top(didn't even touch them), then drew them and it was a land and a lotus cobra. the gently caress, man.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Captain Invictus posted:

I've lost two games now to scrying for exactly what I needed, and then...the cards aren't the same as what I scryed. I scryed a lotus cobra and beast, put them both on top(didn't even touch them), then drew them and it was a land and a lotus cobra. the gently caress, man.

Are you sure you didn't either shuffle or get milled, because there's a lot of those effects going around

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Are you sure you didn't either shuffle or get milled, because there's a lot of those effects going around
no, the sequence of events was literally "play witching well, see the two cards, hit accept without touching them, cast a tormod's crypt to get the free draw proc off song of creation, draw a land and cobra"

this has happened twice now.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

There is 0% this happened this way. There are too many games being played that are streamed and people would lose their mind when it was posted on Twitter

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah I screw myself over with shuffle and scry all the time, it's one of the few downsides of computer Magic actually. Fabled Passage and Winota are prime culprits in my case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Time posted:

There is 0% this happened this way. There are too many games being played that are streamed and people would lose their mind when it was posted on Twitter
K

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Time posted:

This was 24 hours ago but go off king lmao

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1337823665002405888?s=21

The game isn’t exactly a rock solid and bug free platform

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

This was 24 hours ago but go off king lmao

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1337823665002405888?s=21

The game isn’t exactly a rock solid and bug free platform

That’s the exact thing I was talking about when I said “it would be caught on stream” . I saw it in the other bad thread yesterday

It’s way likelier that this is the 500th goon in a row that has screamed they found a bug then it turns out they hosed up. He isn’t experiencing some issue where he is the only person ever to have it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m curious how does a bug getting caught on screen prevent it from happening to someone, exactly? I’ve personally had the UI bug out on me twice this week, not to a game loss but with having weird text all over the screen and mana costs being HUGE and staying on screen after the spell was cast.

It’s just weird to be so harshly skeptical of a bug when they legit happen every single day.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It went literally as I explained right before I made the post but you're the know-it-all. My inmediate memory bows before your infinite knowledge

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m curious how does a bug getting caught on screen prevent it from happening to someone, exactly? I’ve personally had the UI bug out on me twice this week, not to a game loss but with having weird text all over the screen and mana costs being HUGE and staying on screen after the spell was cast.

It’s just weird to be so harshly skeptical of a bug when they legit happen every single day.

The scry bug has been a giant joke in online magic for a long time and if it was actually happening, it would be huge and someone would have caught it happening already in the thousands of games being played for viewers an hour. What he described is different than the LSV bug.

Maybe he just is the very first person to have it happen to them but the easiest explanation is that they screwed up, and based on this threads history, it’s pretty likely

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

It went literally as I explained right before I made the post but you're the know-it-all. My inmediate memory bows before your infinite knowledge

it's far more likely you missed something. sorry that's no slight against you, it's just the most obvious answer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

People would be more likely to believe it, if it came from another source.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

try and record some games with that deck and see if you can recreate it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My prediction is that this bug will never happen while someone is streaming or recording video.

If you are convinced it does happen sometimes, you should just record all your games as a prophylactic way to avoid it ever happening to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also, I would like to apologize for coming across as a dickhead. I stand by the general point but my crankiness from being at the dentist really came through.