Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

I'm glad this game doesn't shy away from locking that rear end out of content based on your build. God forbid someone would play your game again. Pussy rear end devs.

There's a few things -- like in an early mission when you're retrieving a robot that Militech lady gives you a booby-trapped credchip to give to the Marauders, and if you have the hacking skill to disarm it you can get a very different outcome to the mission that seems to affect future events too but yeah for the most part skill checks have been just a way to avoid combat or get out of paying money for stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Keanu being handed the script and approving every line

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I paid money to I assume avoid combat but I’m not really sure why I chose to do that other than it was an option I wouldn’t of had if I didn’t have the money.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I paid money to I assume avoid combat but I’m not really sure why I chose to do that other than it was an option I wouldn’t of had if I didn’t have the money.

If you're talking about that robot quest, staying in the gang's good graces definitely changes some later stuff. I think there's like 4 routes you can take through that all wind up pretty differently

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I had the money from miltech in that quest and was gonna pay if I couldn’t talk them down but when the leader turned around an option to just punch his head came up and I had to fight my way out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

goferchan posted:

There's a few things -- like in an early mission when you're retrieving a robot that Militech lady gives you a booby-trapped credchip to give to the Marauders, and if you have the hacking skill to disarm it you can get a very different outcome to the mission that seems to affect future events too but yeah for the most part skill checks have been just a way to avoid combat or get out of paying money for stuff.

yeah, I liked this a lot, I did the hacking thing too. I'm really liking quickhacks in general, I only have to do a little bit of gunplay most of the time. the cyberware and crafting feel way beyond my pay grade atm, but I'm mostly just doing main quest with a few side jobs. assuming once keanu shows up, the $ will ramp up a little.

getting into this a little more every time I play, I'm almost hoping my online gaming with friends ends early tomorrow so I have more time for it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If you're getting into hacking one good money-making tip is to save up for the cybernetic legs that let you do a charged super jump, they're like $40k -- rooftops seem to be loaded with terminals that you can hack for $$, and with the skills that give you bonus money for hacking terminals you can pay off your investment pretty quickly

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

goferchan posted:

If you're talking about that robot quest, staying in the gang's good graces definitely changes some later stuff. I think there's like 4 routes you can take through that all wind up pretty differently

I have killed every single Maelstrom I see ever since that quest lol. I didnt even realize it was possible to be in their good graces. Just realized for the first time I maybe I shouldnt be instinctively mercing every single gang member in and around Night City at the behest of the police.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

I really hope the main plot gets to a chiller point where I feel better about stopping to do side quests because even though I'm PRETTY sure the game isn't going to fail me for putting off objectives, everything's just a little too urgent right now for me to gently caress off and go enter shooting range tournaments and stuff

drat nevermind lol I think the game just hosed me for this, or at least for trying to juggle too many opposing story branches at one time. Don't click unless you've done the quest "Both Sides, Now" but Evelyn just committed suicide and I'm pretty sure I could have prevented that

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

me sitting in the dark singing hurt to myself after accidentally picking the dude in the sex ddoll place

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

If there are major branching points for the plot, I’m glad the game doesn’t club you over the head with the outcomes of your decisions like Witcher does.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Also has everyone figured out yet that all the gear is upgradable including your clothes so if you find a fit you like you can keep it and not be underpowered?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I bought a 200 armor exoskeleton upgrade just so I could wear whatever I want

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Now throw that poo poo away you can upgrade your gear at home for a fraction of the cost

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Is there a way to try on clothes before I buy it?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
How many hours into this can you completely abandon the plot?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

majour333 posted:

After you get out of white orchard

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

majour333 posted:

After the first act (maybe 6 hours?) you can go pretty much anywhere and take side quests wherever. I know one person who hit the level cap just doing that

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Keanu being in your head and commenting on all the side quests is cooler than I thought lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That Avalanches LP is an absolute master piece btw all. One must listen. Give it a spin chooms.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I have killed every single Maelstrom I see ever since that quest lol. I didnt even realize it was possible to be in their good graces. Just realized for the first time I maybe I shouldnt be instinctively mercing every single gang member in and around Night City at the behest of the police.

lmao at just walking around bashing the heads of your allied gang members in like al capone

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

majour333 posted:

You can completely abandon the plot and save yourself by slamming that refund button at one hour and fifty nine minutes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

leondardo dicaprio was working both sides in The Departed for the experience points and street cred.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wonder if I still have a favor from Brick lol.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Leondardo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

he words with durnatello and michaelangalope.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

leondardo dicaprio was working both sides in The Departed for the experience points and street cred.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ganbarre Leondardo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

'Nuff said.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leondardo, Raphefe, Michaelingus, and Dantello

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Something cool I noticed is the dialogue selection will change automatically if you look at someone or something that has its own options.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

You can completely abandon the plot and save yourself by slamming that refund button at one hour and fifty nine minutes.

I was so loving close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fav npc so far is the fat guy wearing a hat splayed out on a couch playing guitar at the rooftop bare knuckle boxing match