Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wal-Mart did clean up their stores and put in nice flooring and better organized the displays and sales went down. Turns out customers like crap in the aisles and bursting at the seams endcaps. It creates a perception they're saving money versus going someplace like Target.

It is a nicer shopping experience than it used to be though. Someone finally figured out you could pay employees a bit more, reduce turnover, and save money in the long run. I'm sure they'll realize their mistake at some point and "fix the problem". My employer just boosted pay by up to $2/hour, which sounds great until you realize that means front-line associates in 2020 are making about what their predecessors made 20 years ago before retail became a race to the bottom.

That's a corner they backed themselves into. The people who will not shop in a dirty store, and the people who associate gross with bargains don't overlap. When you consign yourself to one group, you will lose the other and Wallmart was well into gross territory when they decided to try and turn the ship around.

And it's probably because of the dollar stores. You talk about how Dollar General goes where other places won't, but that's not quite true. Dollar General goes where Walmart left a vacuum 10-20 years ago. In rural areas a Walmart setting up in the local 'big town' or right off the interstate would wipe out the little mom-and-pop groceries in all the little small towns around it. If you weren't also selling gas or liquor, you couldn't survive the chunk of your market a Walmart within 20 miles would take. Now more people are living paycheck to paycheck, and bimonthly stocking-up trips to the Wallmart 30min away are out of their means. They need a local grocery, and Dollar General fills that niche.

The problem with dollar stores is they're also moving into areas that have full grocery stores, and they're starting to drive them out of business. Family Dollar is so much better than a gas station, but it's much worse than an actual grocery store with fresh food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

BigDave posted:

Dollar Tree / Family Dollar is smart because they go in the smallest hick towns in America, places where Wal-Mart would never go.

I work for a company that does payroll support for DT and whenever I work a ticket, I can see the users info and they almost always live in towns no one has ever heard of. Places like Kosciusko Mississippi, Jena Louisiana, and Tiffin Ohio.

Dollar Tree operates what's basically a monopoly in places where major economic development is a new prison being built.

Hi I'm originally from Tiffin and it has a population of 18K and we have a Wal-Mart thank you very much (also a dead mall) :colbert:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

there wolf posted:

Now more people are living paycheck to paycheck, and bimonthly stocking-up trips to the Wallmart 30min away are out of their means. They need a local grocery, and Dollar General fills that niche.
You can't go stock up right after you get your paycheck?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Basticle posted:

Hi I'm originally from Tiffin and it has a population of 18K and we have a Wal-Mart thank you very much (also a dead mall) :colbert:

How many fast food places were open twenty‐four hours?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dylan16807 posted:

You can't go stock up right after you get your paycheck?

That doesn't work well with a bunch of utilities about to be shut off or rent past due. In regards to dollar store food deserts, paycheck to paycheck is more like miss a paycheck and become homeless. It's an interesting and depressing topic how dollar general feeds off of the corpses of communities long forgotten.

I threw food desert in there because the quality of food there likely compounds health problems due to nutritional deficiency. Lot of sugar and other empty calories.

Mustached Demon has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Dec 13, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mustached Demon posted:

That doesn't work well with a bunch of utilities about to be shut off or rent past due. In regards to dollar store food deserts, paycheck to paycheck is more like miss a paycheck and become homeless. It's an interesting and depressing topic how dollar general feeds off of the corpses of communities long forgotten.

I threw food desert in there because the quality of food there likely compounds health problems due to nutritional deficiency. Lot of sugar and other empty calories.

Not to mention a lot of people that rely in dollar general don't have a traditional paycheck, many of them rely on temporary labor, scrapping, sometimes even pretty theft or drug dealing, they're not working for a large corporation that hands out steady pay, the wealthiest of them are remodeling kitchens and doing handiwork, they're also the quickest to get ratfucked by an evening downturn, since they're often ineligible for unemployment if they're doing cash under the table.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Elviscat posted:

Not to mention a lot of people that rely in dollar general don't have a traditional paycheck, many of them rely on temporary labor, scrapping, sometimes even pretty theft or drug dealing, they're not working for a large corporation that hands out steady pay, the wealthiest of them are remodeling kitchens and doing handiwork, they're also the quickest to get ratfucked by an evening downturn, since they're often ineligible for unemployment if they're doing cash under the table.

Just another reason why this current pandemic is loving folks over hard, and it seems our leaders do not care.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PassTheRemote posted:

Just another reason why this current pandemic is loving folks over hard, and it seems our leaders do not care.

Why should they? They're making money hand over fist.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Why should they? They're making money hand over fist.

Yeah. I saw a statistic that Bezos could give $100,000 to every Amazon employee and he'd still have more money than he did at the start of the pandemic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Yeah. I saw a statistic that Bezos could give $100,000 to every Amazon employee and he'd still have more money than he did at the start of the pandemic.

Those statistics always confuse me because of one thing that I can never figure out (and probably no one can): how much "real" (i.e. liquid) money does Bezos have? Even if he sold enough stock to pay that amount of money wouldn't that also trigger some economic aftershock?

This isn't a defense of Bezos or the ultra-rich, I always find it kind of baffling how so much of these guys' "fortunes" exist entirely in the ether. I mean, for crying out loud, Elon loving Musk is now the second richest person in the world all thanks to dumb investors. He didn't "make" 90 billion in 2020. The stock market just decided he did!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

Those statistics always confuse me because of one thing that I can never figure out (and probably no one can): how much "real" (i.e. liquid) money does Bezos have? Even if he sold enough stock to pay that amount of money wouldn't that also trigger some economic aftershock?

This isn't a defense of Bezos or the ultra-rich, I always find it kind of baffling how so much of these guys' "fortunes" exist entirely in the ether. I mean, for crying out loud, Elon loving Musk is now the second richest person in the world all thanks to dumb investors. He didn't "make" 90 billion in 2020. The stock market just decided he did!

Financials will allow you to borrow money using your stocks as collateral, so as long as he has a line of credit liquid cash isn't an issue.

He also only owns 11% of the stock, though he's got the voting rights with his ex wife's stock. If he sold, institutional investors would likely snap up more. Just because he's the richest known person doesn't mean there aren't institutions that can absolutely pay for it immediately (though given how much actual money is in circulation, it would likely be an in kind trade or something)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

People like Bezos effectively have unlimited money.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

People like Bezos should be hunted down and destroyed like diseased vermin.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Biplane posted:

People like Bezos should be hunted down and destroyed like diseased vermin.

This 100%

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
When Bezo's was worth 60 billion the liquidity argument made some sense. But he's worth close to 200 billion now. He could cash out 10% with little to zero impact on Amazon's stock price and literally solve a social ill. Whether it be getting everyone who needed it opioid treatment or fixing homelessness or a 10% down payment on what it's estimated we need to spend to reverse climate change.

I can't even imagine having that much money and not doing something with it, even if it was just to feed my ego. People still talk nice about Carnegie for building libraries. Just from a legacy standpoint I'd think you'd want to be remembered for something other than getting the stupid poo poo I buy delivered the next day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally just a high score to them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

When Bezo's was worth 60 billion the liquidity argument made some sense. But he's worth close to 200 billion now. He could cash out 10% with little to zero impact on Amazon's stock price and literally solve a social ill. Whether it be getting everyone who needed it opioid treatment or fixing homelessness or a 10% down payment on what it's estimated we need to spend to reverse climate change.

I can't even imagine having that much money and not doing something with it, even if it was just to feed my ego. People still talk nice about Carnegie for building libraries. Just from a legacy standpoint I'd think you'd want to be remembered for something other than getting the stupid poo poo I buy delivered the next day.

Something something gates foundation

Bezos still needs to have that money to shoot his brain into space

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Beezy boi cashed out like $3 billion earlier this year with no stock price issues.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, if you really want your eyes opened to how the rich live, you couldn't do worse than watching the documentary "The Queen of Versailles"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Hell, I would shoot bezos' brain into space for a lot less than $200b. hire me jeff.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wal-Mart did clean up their stores and put in nice flooring and better organized the displays and sales went down. Turns out customers like crap in the aisles and bursting at the seams endcaps. It creates a perception they're saving money versus going someplace like Target.

It is a nicer shopping experience than it used to be though. Someone finally figured out you could pay employees a bit more, reduce turnover, and save money in the long run. I'm sure they'll realize their mistake at some point and "fix the problem". My employer just boosted pay by up to $2/hour, which sounds great until you realize that means front-line associates in 2020 are making about what their predecessors made 20 years ago before retail became a race to the bottom.

I can't imagine going into Germany and trying to compete against Aldi and Lidl on their home turf.

Reminds me of when Starbucks tried to sell in Australia & people were like "get that bullshit out of here" :lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Apprentice Dick posted:

Beezy boi cashed out like $3 billion earlier this year with no stock price issues.

At this rate he’ll be cashed out when he’s

checks notes

one hundred and eleven years old, assuming he never picks up another share.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fair.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Given all the poo poo Bill Gates is currently getting, I'm afraid neo liberalism has poisoned people's minds do thoroughly that even charitable acts are seen as evidence of a sinister plot.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's what really gets to me. If it was mammoth bank account I could SOMEWHAT understand but it's a phantom number. I can get close to the same results by downloading Investr on my phone and screwing around with fake money.

If I ever won 5 million Euro, I'd buy a nice house and live off of that for the rest of my life, no destruction of lives or the environment necessary.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

That's what really gets to me. If it was mammoth bank account I could SOMEWHAT understand but it's a phantom number. I can get close to the same results by downloading Investr on my phone and screwing around with fake money.

If I ever won 5 million Euro, I'd buy a nice house and live off of that for the rest of my life, no destruction of lives or the environment necessary.

:same: except I'd probably end up bored and starting a business at some point

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, maybe I would as well. Something small though. Like artisenal candy or organic vegetables or something.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Dec 14, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, I think the Gates Foundation doesn't get as much attention because they're so focused in Africa. If they did the same stuff in North America they'd be more on the average person's radar.

I think even their vaccine development is focused on poorer countries. Which is great. Rich nations have all the resources they need to put microchips in our citizens. We need to make sure people in developing countries get properly tracked as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

Given all the poo poo Bill Gates is currently getting, I'm afraid neo liberalism has poisoned people's minds do thoroughly that even charitable acts are seen as evidence of a sinister plot.

Neoliberalism has gotten to the point where if public libraries didn't already exist, the concept would be incomprehensible to a lot of self-described liberals, who'd call it a ridiculous idea and say they should just give tax breaks to book publishers or something.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm always grimly surprised that libraries haven't been shut down in favor of free-market solutions

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you do a Google search on 'stupid editorial about libraries' you get references to the stupidest loving thing Forbes ever published. I say references because Forbes pulled that poo poo off the internet it was so bad.

And yeah, it was some guy advocating for Amazon to replace libraries because he wanted to keep the buck fifty in taxes he probably spends each year to keep libraries open. Also he's a published author and I guess butt-hurt people got to read his books for free.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

No one wants to support libraries. In 2005, my hometown library, built in 1987, got hit by a bad storm that wrecked the roof and damaged most of the building due to water ingress. I don't remember the exact numbers but basically it was $X to repair, or $X + ~5% to tear it down and build a new, modern library. A measure was added to the ballot, and it failed miserably. After two years of repairs we have a musty old library. I wonder if people didn't realized they had to pay for the repairs anyway and voted it down, or if people really didn't want to spend 5% more on a public service.

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you do a Google search on 'stupid editorial about libraries' you get references to the stupidest loving thing Forbes ever published. I say references because Forbes pulled that poo poo off the internet it was so bad.

And yeah, it was some guy advocating for Amazon to replace libraries because he wanted to keep the buck fifty in taxes he probably spends each year to keep libraries open. Also he's a published author and I guess butt-hurt people got to read his books for free.

Here's the article for anyone interested: https://outline.com/eP4W3b

McPhearson has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Dec 14, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Jesus christ, that's awful

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm always grimly surprised that libraries haven't been shut down in favor of free-market solutions

Don't go thinking so well of society just yet. It HAS been suggested in places, or at least argued for by assholes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

My plan to stave off boredom if I had enough money to live off of is to get a part time retail job, be honest with Karens until it got me fired, and repeat.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

rydiafan posted:

My plan to stave off boredom if I had enough money to live off of is to get a part time retail job, be honest with Karens until it got me fired, and repeat.

I did that once. I had built up too much vacation time and was told to cash it in or use it. Being all young and edgy, I took two weeks off and decided to indulge myself in an experiment. A part time job paired with a lot of surfing. I will admit, I was seeking conflict, and it was actually hard to find. Plus, I would never swear or call customers names. And even when I was honest with a Karen, it never went anywhere. The store would tell the customer I would be talked to/disciplined. And when a manager did bring up a couple of incidents I said that I just didn't care.

In the end, I had to quit and go back to my real job, I was not fired. I guess when you really don't care, and have absolutely no fear of losing your job, you can get away with a lot. On the flipside, other than telling off the occasional entitled shopper, I was a really good employee. (An OC K-mart employee of the week, circa 2004)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

McPhearson posted:

No one wants to support libraries. In 2005, my hometown library, built in 1987, got hit by a bad storm that wrecked the roof and damaged most of the building due to water ingress. I don't remember the exact numbers but basically it was $X to repair, or $X + ~5% to tear it down and build a new, modern library. A measure was added to the ballot, and it failed miserably. After two years of repairs we have a musty old library. I wonder if people didn't realized they had to pay for the repairs anyway and voted it down, or if people really didn't want to spend 5% more on a public service.

Here's the article for anyone interested: https://outline.com/eP4W3b

Screw that. I will gladly pay taxes for libraries. For all the other crap our taxes get wasted on, libraries are actually useful and benefit many people. If you don't use it, that's truly your loss. But then people vote down small taxes on public education because "Well I don't have kids in school any more, why should I pay?????"

Edit just read that article, Jesus that's lovely thinking.

Silly Burrito has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Dec 14, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The world's biggest porn site removed at least half of its content after companies like Visa and Mastercard stopped letting people purchase subscriptions with them.

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1338470558199992321?s=20

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Silly Burrito posted:

Screw that. I will gladly pay taxes for libraries. For all the other crap our taxes get wasted on, libraries are actually useful and benefit many people. If you don't use it, that's truly your loss. But then people vote down small taxes on public education because "Well I don't have kids in school any more, why should I pay?????"

Edit just read that article, Jesus that's lovely thinking.

They're getting to be the only place with a clean restroom homeless people can take a break from the cold, take a poo poo and wash up in, in a lot of communities.

That dumb gently caress that wrote that article also glosses over the free internet access they provide, which is literally invaluable for a lot of poor people looking for jobs and applying for services.

That's all on top of also providing services to the rest of the community.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Elviscat posted:

They're getting to be the only place with a clean restroom homeless people can take a break from the cold, take a poo poo and wash up in, in a lot of communities.

That dumb gently caress that wrote that article also glosses over the free internet access they provide, which is literally invaluable for a lot of poor people looking for jobs and applying for services.

That's all on top of also providing services to the rest of the community.

Removal of those services wouldn't be a drawback or neutral, it's a positive in the writer's eyes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The world's biggest porn site removed at least half of its content after companies like Visa and Mastercard stopped letting people purchase subscriptions with them.

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1338470558199992321?s=20

How long until the other tube sites follow suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Probably pretty soon, since they're all run by mind geek