Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

My prediction is that this bug will never happen while someone is streaming or recording video.

If you are convinced it does happen sometimes, you should just record all your games as a prophylactic way to avoid it ever happening to you.

Nvidia cards come with Shadowplay and you can set it up ahead of time to save the last x minutes of your gameplay to a video, so whenever something interesting happens I just hit a hotkey and it auto records it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Time posted:

Also, I would like to apologize for coming across as a dickhead. I stand by the general point but my crankiness from being at the dentist really came through.
I get it, but there was also the time I mentioned the lotus cobra softlock bug I've had happen 4 times now and the immediate response was "you just disconnected"

It's not worth the effort to record every match I play in the hopes I catch this one event, so I guess I'll just pointlessly grouse

Lone Goat posted:

Nvidia cards come with Shadowplay and you can set it up ahead of time to save the last x minutes of your gameplay to a video, so whenever something interesting happens I just hit a hotkey and it auto records it.
that's rad, I'm guessing it's constantly recording/deleting a stream of the last 5 minutes or so, and hitting a button triggers a separate permanent save? I'll have to look into that, definitely been some moments I've wanted to catch on video but also I don't have the hard drive space to record everything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“A bug isn’t real if it doesn’t happen on stream to millions of viewers” is exactly the kind of thing huffing a bunch of nitrous would make you think so all of this checks out

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

“A bug isn’t real if it doesn’t happen on stream to millions of viewers” is exactly the kind of thing huffing a bunch of nitrous would make you think so all of this checks out

no, “there is no evidence of this happening to anyone ever” is not unreasonable when every single day thousands of hours of matches are recorded. Every other real bug gets clipped and posted online. Why is this one different?

Time fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 14, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Time posted:

no, “there is no evidence of this happening to anyone ever” is not unreasonable when every single day thousands of hours of matches are recorded. Every other real bug gets clipped and posted online. Why is this one different?

Because there's a chance it's new and an edge case?

This means that eventually it will be clipped, but it might not have happened yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean literally just googling Arena Scry Bug yields Reddit posts from like last month so...

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

endlessmonotony posted:

Because there's a chance it's new and an edge case?

This means that eventually it will be clipped, but it might not have happened yet.

Yes, that is possible but it’s really unlikely. this thread is full of people coming in and screaming bug and then it turns out it was user error of some sort. I’ll definitely look out for anyone else talking about it over the next few weeks and offer a mea culpa if it turns out this was a real issue

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean literally just googling Arena Scry Bug yields Reddit posts from like last month so...

drat, it also has people complaining about the shuffler too. Must be real.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

that's rad, I'm guessing it's constantly recording/deleting a stream of the last 5 minutes or so, and hitting a button triggers a separate permanent save? I'll have to look into that, definitely been some moments I've wanted to catch on video but also I don't have the hard drive space to record everything.

I don't know the hard technical stuff about what exactly it's doing but effectively yes. I'm guessing it just buffers the last X minutes of video and then dumps it to a file if you tell it to. Default is 5 minutes but I have mine set to 15 for Arena in case I want to get all/most of a game saved.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

How many of them are exactly like this and also have no evidence?

This isn't a weird corner case thing that WotC didn't test and catch, this is one of the most common game actions you can take. It's entirely possible it's glitched, but a far more likely scenario is that CI just missed a shuffle effect or screwed up his scry somehow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Feels like people just want to call Cap a liar or imply they are bad at Magic for no reason to me but whatever both sides think the other is wrong new topic

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nobody is calling CI a liar. People who had creatures with protection die while a QB was on the field weren't lying or bad at MTG when they reported it as a bug, they just missed something. That's very likely what happened here. Arena, for all the poo poo it gets, is pretty good about following the basic rules. It's impossible to know what happened in CI's game for sure, but the percentage play is to assume that he just missed something.

Also perhaps I'm missing it, but I'm not seeing any people complaining about an Arena scry bug on Google from last month.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they're not the first nor will they be the last person to complain about a bug in arena that could easily be chalked up to missing a game action or event + i think 'hey record your stuff with any of the game dvr tools available if you can so that people can respond to you knowing all the information' is just good advice for everyone

either they did miss something (which is understandable) or it was an actual bug (which would be good to document so that wizards can fix it), simple as that

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At any rate, LSV 7-0ed Day 2, so it worked out for him in the end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
crossposting some news from the other thread:

on kaldheim and a week of teasers: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/welcome-face-melting-world-kaldheim-2020-12-14

four planeswalkers on kaldheim: kaya and tibalt are returning, and we have two new characters:
- tyvar kell is an elf and he's got a bunch of backstory about the setting https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/creating-tyvar-kell-2020-12-14
- niko aris was from theros and sparked to get away from their "destiny" https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/creating-niko-aris-2020-12-14

niko is canon nonbinary and wizards brought in several members of their staff who are also nb and/or trans for the article, which is nice to see

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Captain Invictus posted:

no, the sequence of events was literally "play witching well, see the two cards, hit accept without touching them, cast a tormod's crypt to get the free draw proc off song of creation, draw a land and cobra"

this has happened twice now.

I don’t know how I’d go about convincing anyone but I feel like this happened to me once in a draft game, having my scry cards not be what I chose. I went back and checked bottom of library, I never sent them under. I didn’t crack a fabled or anything (it was draft I didn’t have one or a fetch or a shuffle). I spent a good couple minutes going over the cards in gy and replaying in my head and it felt like a client screw up. Considering it was just a one off for me I wrote it off and moved on.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

"Niko can conjure shards of mirrorlike magical energy, which they can shape into throwable weapons of various sizes. These can, of course, serve as simple piercing spears or daggers, but they also have another exciting property. Each shard can be imbued with the power to absorb the first living being it touches (other than Niko), containing them in an extradimensional space for a limited time. They can trap an enemy at a crucial point in battle, hold someone for questioning, or even whisk an ally out of danger."

Could be something like phasing, Niko appears to be blue. Maybe a flicker planeswalker? The only non-commander one is what, Venser?

Sounds like it'll be something different though, a blue PW with skills revolving around "pinpoint throwing accuracy".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, they're definitely blue and i could see them having flicker effects or even outright exile. if the newest teferi didn't have phasing i'd consider that as well given the flavor. comedy option: they can suspend enemy creatures

edit: given that their backstory is that they were more of an athlete than a mage i could also see them having effects regarding combat, too

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Note to self: You do not need multiple Songs of Creation on the battlefield. Stop it.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I've been playing the CGB Yorion red deck in Bo1 and it's funny to me that my opponents probably let our a sigh expecting another Yorion deck but it's just 80 card RDW. I also use the Ugin card back to initially demoralize them a bit more. They've usually figured it out by the time the Embercleave hits them.

Companion
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232

Deck
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
4 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
4 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
4 Akoum Hellhound (ZNR) 133
4 Fireblade Charger (ZNR) 139
2 Kargan Intimidator (ZNR) 145
2 Roil Eruption (ZNR) 155
4 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
4 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
4 Riverglide Pathway (ZNR) 264
16 Mountain (KLR) 298

Sideboard
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

yeah, they're definitely blue and i could see them having flicker effects or even outright exile. if the newest teferi didn't have phasing i'd consider that as well given the flavor. comedy option: they can suspend enemy creatures

edit: given that their backstory is that they were more of an athlete than a mage i could also see them having effects regarding combat, too

Plus ability has "chill" (tap and doesn't untap next turn) written all over it, might be a minus if Niki's cmc is low enough.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

crossposting some news from the other thread:

on kaldheim and a week of teasers: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/welcome-face-melting-world-kaldheim-2020-12-14

quote:

Vikings. Gods. Myths. Legends. So many beards. Kaldheim is coming to #*$&ing melt your mind hole.

aaaaaand I'm done

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

they don't write copy for people like us Klowner

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm here for Viking metal bullshit :black101:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Since we're kind of talking about bugs, something happened to me that still doesn't make sense.

I'm at 1 life. I had two 3/3s. My opponent has a Questing Beast. They play Ram Through to kill one of my 3/3s and attack. I block and Questing Beast tramples over for 1 damage and kills me.

QB doesn't have trample, RT doesn't give it trample. Is this some weird interaction with the damage prevention thing or is Ram Through bugged to actually give creatures Trample until EoT?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I gotta say I enjoy the Metal font they're using for Kaldheim. The flavor definitely has the potential to be really cringey and embarrassing, but it could be fun.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

Since we're kind of talking about bugs, something happened to me that still doesn't make sense.

I'm at 1 life. I had two 3/3s. My opponent has a Questing Beast. They play Ram Through to kill one of my 3/3s and attack. I block and Questing Beast tramples over for 1 damage and kills me.

QB doesn't have trample, RT doesn't give it trample. Is this some weird interaction with the damage prevention thing or is Ram Through bugged to actually give creatures Trample until EoT?

Go back in time and take a screenshot of the game state so we can figure out what actually happened.

If QB had trample it'd have killed you when they cast Ram Through in the first place.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Time posted:

There is 0% this happened this way. There are too many games being played that are streamed and people would lose their mind when it was posted on Twitter
This is also a game that has occasionally forgotten to connect me to my opponent, has forgotten that I was playing a game, that I need an opponent to play a game, and gets updated on a frequent schedule with Big New Features. IIRC there was a "oops, no deck!" bug just last week. loving up a library after scrying would maybe make a top 10 list of fun flaws if it's really a thing.

Bust Rodd posted:

This was 24 hours ago but go off king lmao

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1337823665002405888?s=21

The game isn’t exactly a rock solid and bug free platform

That's the one. Just LOL at finding this out in the middle of Arena Open, too.

The Klowner posted:

aaaaaand I'm done

Next Secret Lair will be a partnership with Monster Energy and that Black Rifle Coffee Company

Mike N Eich posted:

I gotta say I enjoy the Metal font they're using for Kaldheim. The flavor definitely has the potential to be really cringey and embarrassing, but it could be fun.

Too late! Kaldheim: The Extreme set that cusses, but in a polite way!

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 14, 2020

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Time posted:

There is 0% this happened this way. There are too many games being played that are streamed and people would lose their mind when it was posted on Twitter
This is also a game that has occasionally forgotten to connect me to my opponent, has forgotten that I was playing a game, that I need an opponent to play a game, and gets updated on a frequent schedule with Big New Features. IIRC there was a "oops, no deck!" bug just last week. loving up a library after scrying would maybe make a top 10 list of fun flaws if it's really a thing.

Bust Rodd posted:

This was 24 hours ago but go off king lmao

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1337823665002405888?s=21

The game isn’t exactly a rock solid and bug free platform

That's the one. Just LOL at finding this out in the middle of Arena Open, too.

The Klowner posted:

aaaaaand I'm done

Next Secret Lair will be a partnership with Monster Energy and that Black Rifle Coffee Company

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

Did they have this on the field?

That would be my guess at least.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fun fact: you can do all the dailies with just CrabSong and BW Clerics.

Also I just lost to BW Clerics with CrabSong but they had a pretty good spread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

BW clerics is the bane of crabsong unless you get a turn 5 combo going and they don't have that multichoice W lifegain/enchantment killer. Otherwise they're probably caving your skull in with angel tokens by at latest turn 6

Crabsong is my dailies deck though, for sure. Not only do you get a pretty good chance at completing the randomized daily whether it be playing creatures or casting specific color spells, you also have a fairly high shot at your opponent just conceding immediately upon casting a turn 1 ruin crab or turn 2 ruin crab + fabled passage. :v:

Also I have had way too many people who had me dead to rights the following turn concede just because I had the song engine active and cast Opt, triggering 3-6 Teferi's triggers; even though they still had 30+ cards in deck the visual of that many Teferi's Tutelage procs just makes them freak out. That and nuking all their milled stuff with Tormod's sometimes does it too.

It's also generally just a fast deck, either you get the song engine going and they're decked within two turns or you die almost quickly

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's a good night for crabsong. This is turn 6.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah this is extremely cringe. The only thing I like so far is the land art (presumably).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

boo_radley posted:

I'm waiting for the Metalocalypse expansion.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bold move to have two sexy half naked elf planeswalkers so close to each other 🤔

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I was getting my daily done this morning (play 30 UB spells) with my lovely padded out rogue draft deck, and I got paired against this magnificent combo:

I think the blue was just Uro and Growth Spiral. I love it, I want to build it. :allears:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Did they cast Scapeshift to Valakut you with Dread Presence?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boco_T posted:

Did they cast Scapeshift to Valakut you with Dread Presence?
:aaa: No, but I feel like that should be in there if it wasn't.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Danimo posted:

I'd cut Ayata. Bolas's Citadel, Command the Dreadhorde, Blossoming Defense, Blackbloom Rogue and 1 land and put in Obosh and either Witch's Cauldron or Wilt. Probably Wilt. Leaving in Citadel or Command instead of Obosh is also understandable, I just prefer the safety of an okay creature over big flashy cards that might not do anything or might also win the game.

Thanks for the advice. Went 7-2 with this thanks to your suggestions. Wilt was incredible, I was definitely undervaluing enchantment/artifact removal thinking rec sage would be enough. Citadel was pretty underwhelming, my draw was online pretty early with the bestiary and vizier into great henge. MVPs were definitely Ashaya and cycling spacegodzilla into back for more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Rhys eats removal like no other