Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Male Tears posted:

Update on the emails we received:

Link from the email: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/we-were-wrong

somebody at kickstarter is trying to get a job at the dnc i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wa27 posted:

Wow, that's great. "Remember when we decided not to shut down a PUA manual and then let them keep all the money raised? Well, here's a reminder email about how we totally didn't do anything to stop it!"

Looks like the book did release the next year.
https://www.amazon.com/Above-Game-Guide-Getting-Awesome/dp/1484877454

“sexual communication as a replacement for consent.” :stonk:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I knew there were reasons I wasn't clicking through that link.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thecc/the-couch-console/description

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

quote:

AU$ 404,965
pledged of AU$ 19,909 goal
Seems popular...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would have thought that thing was freaking amazing when I was 15

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

$100 for a cupholder and some tiny food trays that will never be washed.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Shine posted:

And I think we all know there's a very good reason why the only thing they show in the "self-balancing" cupholder are 4 oz tumblers of orange juice and tiny paper cups of coffee.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shine posted:

Hope yall like cleaning crumbs out of lovely hard to reach corners forever, as opposed to literally A Bowl.

Waffleman_ posted:

I would have thought that thing was freaking amazing when I was 15

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
why that snack cup could hold as many as ten pringles!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why are they putting cups directly on a couch?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

£70 for something less useful than an ikea side table

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
This product seems easily replaced by using a coffee table or end table, like every living room in existence already has

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HJE-Cobra posted:

This product seems easily replaced by using [Actual Basic Thing That Already Exists And Isn't A Convoluted Nightmare]

Grats you broke the Kickstarter code.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kirbysuperstar posted:

why that snack cup could hold as many as ten pringles!

*adds "diet" to product keywords*

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Hygiene posted:

*adds "diet" to product keywords*

Now you're thinking like an entrepreneur

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who doesn't just eat Pringles out of the can, that's what the can is for

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

lmao
it has a "charging port" for your phone but no internal battery and no way to connect it to a wall socket
you have to connect your own lovely portable phone battery to be able to use it

plus no normal USB port so you'll need to get special separate charging cables

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So you won't run out of juice (if you have juice; juice not included)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lmao
it has a "charging port" for your phone but no internal battery and no way to connect it to a wall socket
you have to connect your own lovely portable phone battery to be able to use it

plus no normal USB port so you'll need to get special separate charging cables

Between the costs for development, costs for materials, and costs for shipping, including the battery probably moves it beyond the “made for TV/secret Santa” gift category it longingly hopes to be a part of.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Adding a plug and battery adds a bunch of cost and headaches especially for international sales. It's a sensible business decision but also Peak Gadget Kickstarter to sell a fancy box with some inserts any reasonably handy person could probably knock together an analog of in a afternoon and act like you're innovating

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Dec 16, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Here is just a great example of somebody knowing the Kickstarter market.

Japanese Samurai Letter Opener

The traditional letter opener has in recent times fallen by the wayside, with the vast majority of users being collectors. However with the world becoming more connected technologically, more and more people are looking to older forms of communication to give it the more personal touch. Here in Japan however, letter openers are still commonly used. Opening a letter by hand can rip the envelope and if its a letter from a loved one or something important, ripping the envelope can make keeping the letter or card in perfect condition harder.

Introducing the Oda Nobunaga Letter Opener, the ultimate letter opener created by amazingly skilled craftsmen one by one!

With one sweep of the letter opener you can safely open up your envelopes while keeping the integrity of the envelope intact, meaning you can keep your precious letters and cards for years to come!
And this seems like something that is useless for 99% of people but a great way to get arrested!

CIZOR, a tungsten carbide cutting tool for every day use.

Cizor knives are crafted from one of the hardest man made materials in existence, tungsten carbide. You may recognize the compact and time tested form factor of the popular Tidashi knife. Carry it with you anywhere, held securely in its silicone cap. The back of the Cizor is a functional safety tool, which can break a car window in case of an emergency. I am also introducing a much larger pen size version and anodized aluminum stands for both sizes.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Dec 16, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hub Cat posted:

Here is just a great example of somebody knowing the Kickstarter market.

I...

I kinda want a tiny katana...

:negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I...

You can get katana letter openers on amazon right now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Len posted:

You can get katana letter openers on amazon right now

Please don't tempt me, lol

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hub Cat posted:

And this seems like something that is useless for 99% of people but a great way to get arrested!

CIZOR, a tungsten carbide cutting tool for every day use.

Cizor knives are crafted from one of the hardest man made materials in existence, tungsten carbide. You may recognize the compact and time tested form factor of the popular Tidashi knife. Carry it with you anywhere, held securely in its silicone cap. The back of the Cizor is a functional safety tool, which can break a car window in case of an emergency. I am also introducing a much larger pen size version and anodized aluminum stands for both sizes.
Oh I have one of the Tidashi knives! It's pretty nice; I use it for cutting boxes at work.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's probably fine for cutting packaging or paper but I feel like you should be getting more out of a 45$+shipping knife than I can get out of a 5-15$ utility knife I can buy at Home Depot and frankly I feel like it's probably not even reaching that level given the design.

But fair enough if you want a really nice Xacto knife, the creator didn't go full :jerkbag: over-promising a ridiculous array of everyday uses on this one so it probably doesn't merit mockery even if the puppy rescue bit is silly.

Anyway here is a mug that looks like a toilet with a reward tier of telling you how to business:confused::

Flush Cup

Pledge US$ 50 or more
2 cups and our execution plan!
Targeted toward budding entrepreneurs:
Get two Flush Cups and we share our how we took an idea from water the cooler to design, logo, prototyping, mass manufacturing and spend time with us during a 45 minute meeting with a max number of 10 people per meeting.

-During the meeting we will share vendor info for which companies we interviewed and why we selected them including fees and commissions rates.
-Our excel used for budgeting to make sure if we did make our goal, not to be at a financial loss like other projects.
-Answer any questions you may have to the best of our knowledge
-Meetings can start around December/January but mugs will ship around April

*Disclaimer: We understand that there are a tremendous amount of variables for each project and purchasing/attending this does warrant or make any guarantee of success or same % rates we obtained for this project.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Dec 16, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

dovetaile posted:

Oh I have one of the Tidashi knives! It's pretty nice; I use it for cutting boxes at work.

How does it handle against lovely stuff like blister packs, that amazon tape with fibers in it, and boxes with way too much tape? The form factor is really nice, but in my experience the best/most important part of a box cutter is a a full sized grip. So you can exert force without worrying about your hand slipping. A thin metal tube with a blade at the end seems like a good way to cut yourself if it catches on something and your hand slips down towards the blade. It looks like it would be a nice treat for yourself if you use something like an xacto knife at work a lot. Is it sharp enough that you don't need to apply much force for anything?

I would not have wanted that when I worked in a warehouse and was slicing open shrinkwrapped pallets and poo poo baled with twine etc. Looks it would be nice to have for opening boxes that aren't taped up like a god drat mummy as if there is a bomb or drugs inside though. I might grab something like that as a pocket tool for my current job.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hub Cat posted:

Cool, now I can break car windows and stab cops with a single tool in the next BLM protest! :c00l:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

How does it handle against lovely stuff like blister packs, that amazon tape with fibers in it, and boxes with way too much tape? The form factor is really nice, but in my experience the best/most important part of a box cutter is a a full sized grip. So you can exert force without worrying about your hand slipping. A thin metal tube with a blade at the end seems like a good way to cut yourself if it catches on something and your hand slips down towards the blade. It looks like it would be a nice treat for yourself if you use something like an xacto knife at work a lot. Is it sharp enough that you don't need to apply much force for anything?

I would not have wanted that when I worked in a warehouse and was slicing open shrinkwrapped pallets and poo poo baled with twine etc. Looks it would be nice to have for opening boxes that aren't taped up like a god drat mummy as if there is a bomb or drugs inside though. I might grab something like that as a pocket tool for my current job.

Serious answer:

There's no way that it's as sharp as an X-Acto knife, Tungsten Carbide is extremely brittle by its nature, and creating that fine an edge on it would just be making a tool that chips the edge non-stop.

I'd expect it to have a nice rounded edge, equivalent to, say, a dull kitchen knife. With the caveat that that edge will last almost literally forever, if not abused.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Man for the 30(?) dollars of the first tier you can go buy a cheap pack of carbide inserts and the equipment to braze it to a bit of rod stock.

I expect it's just the whole "wow cool tungsten carbide" that's the selling point but you can get a decent knife that does what that does. Though I guess it doesn't look as knife-y for those stealthy protest stabbin's.

Elviscat posted:

Serious answer:

There's no way that it's as sharp as an X-Acto knife, Tungsten Carbide is extremely brittle by its nature, and creating that fine an edge on it would just be making a tool that chips the edge non-stop.

I'd expect it to have a nice rounded edge, equivalent to, say, a dull kitchen knife. With the caveat that that edge will last almost literally forever, if not abused.

Surely it's mostly an issue with the angle on the grind? I'm running mostly with lathe tooling as my base of knowledge here though. It didn't give much look edge-on in the video that I saw. I did cut what looked like a passport and the vinyl binding can be a bit much for a dull knife.

May as well learn to knap obsidian if you want an especially exotic edge for some reason. Though perhaps there's ceramic blades other than kitchen knives out there you can futz with.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Synnr posted:

Surely it's mostly an issue with the angle on the grind? I'm running mostly with lathe tooling as my base of knowledge here though. It didn't give much look edge-on in the video that I saw. I did cut what looked like a passport and the vinyl binding can be a bit much for a dull knife.

Sure it is, but look at how you grind tool steel vs how carbide tooling comes, carbide tooling has a much more radiused edge compared to tool steel because of it's propensity for chipping, however it can maintain much higher tool pressures without going dull.

You extrapolate that out to a knife, and it's going to limit your relief angle (which is evident in that video, the body of that blade is mega-phat compared to an X-Acto knife) to compensate for a reasonably sharp edge (the edge on that letter opener is going to be much sharper than carbide lathe or mill tooling, for example) but that still means it's gonna suck to try and push through any soft material like packaging. No doubt it'll function fine as a knife, but carbide edges are almost impossible to repair, and it stands that one good *wham* into a reasonable hard surface (like glass) is going to chip that edge.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For packaging and warehouse work, it's really hard to recommend anything other than a standard stanley knife just because that already does the job so well.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The Lone Badger posted:

For packaging and warehouse work, it's really hard to recommend anything other than a standard stanley knife just because that already does the job so well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those are the pro choice, yes. Especially the rare left handed orange one. (I'm biased because I'm left handed.)

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I...

You can get them (sometimes for Free! *just pay shipping*) on Wish

That's where I got my tiny katana letter opener

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Those are the pro choice, yes. Especially the rare left handed orange one. (I'm biased because I'm left handed.)

Is there a pro life version?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Synnr posted:

May as well learn to knap obsidian if you want an especially exotic edge for some reason. Though perhaps there's ceramic blades other than kitchen knives out there you can futz with.

Gonna go that far may as well spring for a diamond scalpel. Not cheap, blindingly sharp.

http://www.microedge1.com/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pizza Pocket Hoodie
https://i.imgur.com/3SPaCrI.gifv

It's no Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ultrafilter posted:

Pizza Pocket Hoodie
https://i.imgur.com/3SPaCrI.gifv

It's no Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes, that's for sure.

:psyboom: