Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Is there a date/source/further info for this Japanese Pearl Harbor propaganda film in English?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vk9AkJVEk

A quick google didn't really help, I'm curious as to who it was intended for and how it was distributed. Also would like to see the whole newsreel(?) or whatever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So uh Cessna you going to break down Allied Paratrooper uniform stuff too?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Why do so many African armies still have huge airborne contingents? Geography?

Re to this: Who has the most competent army in sub Saharan Africa?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh Cessna you going to break down Allied Paratrooper uniform stuff too?

I deliberately avoid collecting US Paratrooper stuff as they are - or, were, when I was actively reenacting and going to events - disproportionately popular, especially in reenacting and collecting.

Why?

Band of Brothers.

Look, historical inaccuracies aside, it was a good show. But it lodged itself into the WWII collector and reenactor's consciousness and will not leave. There are probably over a dozen E Co. 506th PIR reenacting units out there. Just as way too many German reenactors try to jam themselves into SS uniforms to pretend to be uber-stormtroopers, far, far too many also imagine themselves to be Paratroopers. It was so bad that at a Fort Indiantown event years ago I remember being both surprised and impressed when I saw a US unit that was just regular GIs from a relatively unknown unit. (28th Infantry Division)

As a result, the cost of US Paratrooper stuff is absurdly overinflated. I'm sticking with Soviet stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fair enough, even Soviet Paratrooper gear would be nice.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: in somewhat milhist news, today is the 12th anniversary of that guy throwing his shoes at George W Bush. Never forgotten.

You can follow him on twitter now. What a world. @muntazer_zaidi

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 16, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got a good amount of kit from paratroopers. The m1942 uniform itself goes over the wool elements and is really prone to blowing out the seat. The web gear isn’t any different than foot and the helmet just has an extra chin cup. The boots are nice but the double buckles are just as functional.

I got to wear a whole parachute rig for a parade and it sucked due to weight but wasn’t terribly uncomfortable. My old unit would do period correct drops for DDay in France. Owe my back gently caress that. A

Wet webgear chafes like hell. I own some original parts and buy a lot of stuff from AtTheFront. Working on my tanker and typist uniform currently.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fair enough, even Italian Paratrooper gear would be nice.

Okay, I just like the chest rig.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cessna posted:

I deliberately avoid collecting US Paratrooper stuff as they are - or, were, when I was actively reenacting and going to events - disproportionately popular, especially in reenacting and collecting.

Why?

Band of Brothers.

Look, historical inaccuracies aside, it was a good show. But it lodged itself into the WWII collector and reenactor's consciousness and will not leave. There are probably over a dozen E Co. 506th PIR reenacting units out there. Just as way too many German reenactors try to jam themselves into SS uniforms to pretend to be uber-stormtroopers, far, far too many also imagine themselves to be Paratroopers. It was so bad that at a Fort Indiantown event years ago I remember being both surprised and impressed when I saw a US unit that was just regular GIs from a relatively unknown unit. (28th Infantry Division)

As a result, the cost of US Paratrooper stuff is absurdly overinflated. I'm sticking with Soviet stuff.

If I wanted to re-enact US i'd be like, the 106 ID that way my being bad at basic military skills would be very justified.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You and the Axis/Germany art guys for Battlefield V.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fair enough, even Soviet Paratrooper gear would be nice.

Soviet Black Sea Marine (Morskaya Pekhota or something along those lines) would be awesome. Sailor uniform, telnyaska and an astounding moustache.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neophyte posted:

Is there a date/source/further info for this Japanese Pearl Harbor propaganda film in English?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vk9AkJVEk

A quick google didn't really help, I'm curious as to who it was intended for and how it was distributed. Also would like to see the whole newsreel(?) or whatever it was.

The end sort of hints at it being in other languages too with that French card. Maybe for distribution to the international section of Shanghai? Even then, that portion of the city was taken on December 8.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lawman 0 posted:

Re to this: Who has the most competent army in sub Saharan Africa?

I'm trying to think of a way to answer this, and I'm stuck on what to gauge. Many African nations have experience about battling insurrections, mostly not very good. South Africa probably had the most experience with fighting bush wars during the apartheid years, but I'm not sure how much of that former institutional knowledge is left nowadays. Otherwise these are hard to compare! SA does have the most advanced defense industry too.

In conventional operations comparison is also hard, because there have been really few conventional conflicts in Africa lately. My assumption is that Ethiopia has the most experience from fighting Eritrea and also occasionally rolling over Al Shabaab in Somalia.

Peacekeeping operations would probably be the most relevant way of comparing their competence but I don't know if there's any public data about their relative performance.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Probably South Africa, but nobody in the region really has the ability to fight more than a cross-border conflict.

Paul Kagame is by some distance the most competent military leader on the continent.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

This bit reminded me of something I read recently:

Which laid out how the Luftwaffe's pilot shortage did not begin with the Battle of Britain (closely followed by Barbarossa which took a heavy toll on the inadequate contingent of new pilots coming out of the training system to replace those lost in the BoB).

It actually began with the Low Countries campaign and the widespread use of the Ju52 as a paratrooper platform. The Luftwaffe did not have enough experienced transport pilots to fly the number of Junkers proposed for the paratrooper campaign, and there was also pressure for new fighter pilots for the coming battles over France and Britain. So the Luftwaffe took would-be fighter pilots from the final stages of the training system and deployed them as co-pilots in Ju52s so they could get the required air-time before going to the operational training squadrons. Result? A large portion of the Luftwaffe's new fighter pilot contingent was lost as the Ju52 suffered heavy loses over the Low Countries, hollowing out the training system even before the losses of the Battle of Britain start biting. From spring 1940 the Luftwaffe was always playing catch-up with its fighter pilot numbers and never managed to make up the lost ground.

While I have not read this specific story, I totally believe it. I've read that the Luftwaffe was raiding aircraft in training (in this case, Ju 52 fuselages) and reassigning them to transport during the invasion of Poland.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

BalloonFish posted:

This bit reminded me of something I read recently:

Which laid out how the Luftwaffe's pilot shortage did not begin with the Battle of Britain (closely followed by Barbarossa which took a heavy toll on the inadequate contingent of new pilots coming out of the training system to replace those lost in the BoB).

It actually began with the Low Countries campaign and the widespread use of the Ju52 as a paratrooper platform. The Luftwaffe did not have enough experienced transport pilots to fly the number of Junkers proposed for the paratrooper campaign, and there was also pressure for new fighter pilots for the coming battles over France and Britain. So the Luftwaffe took would-be fighter pilots from the final stages of the training system and deployed them as co-pilots in Ju52s so they could get the required air-time before going to the operational training squadrons. Result? A large portion of the Luftwaffe's new fighter pilot contingent was lost as the Ju52 suffered heavy loses over the Low Countries, hollowing out the training system even before the losses of the Battle of Britain start biting. From spring 1940 the Luftwaffe was always playing catch-up with its fighter pilot numbers and never managed to make up the lost ground.

Source?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah I really don't know how to measure that. A military does a number of things, and while we can look at WW2 militaries and say that the ones who decisively lost were less competent (and we can generally point to unforced errors they made that squandered resources), conventional interstate dust-ups are extremely rare in Africa; most military interventions tend to be lots of counter insurgency operations that slowly peter out until some sort of diplomatic resolution comes around. A military is also an arm of legitimation, and a slush fund for domestic relations, and a slush fund for foreign relations (France being the most obvious but also any of a number of arms exporting nations).

South Africa is certainly the most technologically sophisticated of the sub Saharan militaries, but its record is poor. The most significant conflict it participated in post-1950 is the Border War, which Wikipedia calls "inconclusive" but when a huge chunk of your country successfully declares independence, I'd say that's more of a conclusive loss. Sudan, one of the other big spenders of sub Saharan Africa, is subject to the same analysis. Whether or not Nigeria's peacekeeping operations are competent or incompetent I think defies easy analysis. Eritrea has done pretty well I guess?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's weird that an Italian mondo-exploitation documentary would have such interesting footage of some of the wars in Africa, but here it is.

I assume the troops here are Dutch?

:nws: for dead bodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGDw4GWcf4

Also, since people are talking about surplus WWII gear, there's a seller on E-bay who apparently hires strippers to model his wares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-Arm...98a32%7Ciid%3A2

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 16, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

More likely South African/Rhodesian.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean I can't imagine the 2020 SA military really resembles the apartheid era SA military given the huge time gap/institutional so is a comparison there any more reasonable than extrapolating how America is going to do invading Iraq in 2003 based on their performance in Vietnam?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

You and the Axis/Germany art guys for Battlefield V.

gently caress, I've been made!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The end sort of hints at it being in other languages too with that French card. Maybe for distribution to the international section of Shanghai? Even then, that portion of the city was taken on December 8.

It puts Thus Spake Zarathurstra into a fun new light

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Back to discussion a few pages ago on combat loads, was in a brief today that claimed the combat load for a marine grunt in 2000 was 75 lbs and in 2015 it was 95 lbs.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ChubbyChecker posted:

That link is a pro-click for people interested in 18th c. tactics.

It's from a few pages ago but wow. Reading biographies and histories of the period, I'd noticed how much emphasis was put on 'drill' in the militaries of the time and assumed that it was down to harsh discipline and keeping the soldiers busy. Co-ordinating those sort of intricate manouvers, with thousands of participants, where a fuckup in just one little area could cause fatal delays and confusion and with an enemy army shooting at you the whole time? Ok, now I finally understand why C18 armies spent a lot of time drilling.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

PeterCat posted:

Also, since people are talking about surplus WWII gear, there's a seller on E-bay who apparently hires strippers to model his wares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-Arm...98a32%7Ciid%3A2

An attractive person wearing clothes for purposes of selling said clothes is called a "model", not a "stripper".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's from a few pages ago but wow. Reading biographies and histories of the period, I'd noticed how much emphasis was put on 'drill' in the militaries of the time and assumed that it was down to harsh discipline and keeping the soldiers busy. Co-ordinating those sort of intricate manouvers, with thousands of participants, where a fuckup in just one little area could cause fatal delays and confusion and with an enemy army shooting at you the whole time? Ok, now I finally understand why C18 armies spent a lot of time drilling.

Don't worry, the stuff you assumed was absolutely part of it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Uncle Enzo posted:

An attractive person wearing clothes for purposes of selling said clothes is called a "model", not a "stripper".

You are correct. I was making a guess about other lines of work they may have.

That said they are young women making their choices and I do not Define them by their careers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol just lol if you re-enact italians as any unit but the joggin' dandies of the Bersaglieri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9NiEH9-vg

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When a unit is described as 'mechanised infantry', does that literally mean "APCs for everyone!" or just that there's a bunch of trucks organic to the unit?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Lone Badger posted:

When a unit is described as 'mechanised infantry', does that literally mean "APCs for everyone!" or just that there's a bunch of trucks organic to the unit?

It generally means the unit has its own organic transport assets, which are either trucks, halftracks, or full-tracked APCs once those became a thing in the late 1940s.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I read somewhere that the reason why the French didn't have a reserve that could have responded to the Germans coming through the Ardennes was that they had deployed a huge number of divisions in the Maginot line, around 50% of them (or maybe it was 50 divisions total, I'm not exactly sure). Was it true that the French over deployed soldiers in the Maginot line, and would they have been able to form a reserve large enough to make a difference if they hadn't?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My understanding is that the Maginot line worked exactly as it was supposed to, in that Germany was unwilling to attempt an invasion through it. What pretty much nobody anticipated was the blitzkrieg, and consequently Belgium folding so quickly.

Did France over-allocate to the Maginot defenses? It's hard to say. Maybe if they hadn't deployed so many forces there, Germany might have invaded through that route. I don't know enough about the topic to argue counterfactuals.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

White Coke posted:

I read somewhere that the reason why the French didn't have a reserve that could have responded to the Germans coming through the Ardennes was that they had deployed a huge number of divisions in the Maginot line, around 50% of them (or maybe it was 50 divisions total, I'm not exactly sure). Was it true that the French over deployed soldiers in the Maginot line, and would they have been able to form a reserve large enough to make a difference if they hadn't?

There was also a feint north towards the Hague by Army Group B which the Allies bit hard on. I'm not an expert but reading Wages of Destruction at the moment. Tooze suggests the French overcommitted to the feint and once the Germans had broken through, their outdated C2 left them unable to react effectively. I'm sure there is lots of other, more focused scholarship though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Maginot line did everything it was supposed to and I don’t think there was any overcommitment of useful units there. The best units of the french army, as well as the BEF, moved into Belgium and more or less countered what the germans had until very recently been planning, and for example when 3. and 4. Panzer divisions crashed into the french armoured cavalry, the french got the better of them.

Unfortunately the germans had changed their plans, and many of their best units in Heeresgruppe B, after an uneventful traffic jam, rolled through the Ardennes towards Sedan and routed a bunch of thinly-spread reserve infantry and then woops, there’s a French State instead of a French Republic and Harry Styles gets to star in a war movie

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My understanding is that the Maginot line worked exactly as it was supposed to, in that Germany was unwilling to attempt an invasion through it. What pretty much nobody anticipated was the blitzkrieg, and consequently Belgium folding so quickly.

Did France over-allocate to the Maginot defenses? It's hard to say. Maybe if they hadn't deployed so many forces there, Germany might have invaded through that route. I don't know enough about the topic to argue counterfactuals.

Even if the French over-allocated at Maginot, it didn't prevent breakthroughs of the Maginot Line, whether before or after the secret talks of capitulation had started.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was the Maginot Line socially disruptive at all? Any local communities get disrupted or something like that?

And did they find any uses for the facilities after the war?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Was the Maginot Line socially disruptive at all? Any local communities get disrupted or something like that?

Didn't the french reoccupy for it a while?
Also I know they rebuilt and reused one of the bunkers and a nuclear command bunker.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't recall reading anything about it in my book on the Battle for the Maginot Line, but it may have glossed over portions of the construction period? They did have to clear a lot of land for sight lines or beaten zones, so local communities were affected to a degree.

Post-war, the facilities were still in use by the French, but a sharp decline in threats led to the line being abandoned bit by bit. Apparently, via wikipedia, one bunker is still in use by the FAF, but for the most part its been completely abandoned. Some of the fortifications have been converted for private/public use.

Edit: Also, while its not specifically stated, but its safe to say that the fortifications facing Italy met the same fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Maginot line did everything it was supposed to and I don’t think there was any overcommitment of useful units there. The best units of the french army, as well as the BEF, moved into Belgium and more or less countered what the germans had until very recently been planning, and for example when 3. and 4. Panzer divisions crashed into the french armoured cavalry, the french got the better of them.

Unfortunately the germans had changed their plans, and many of their best units in Heeresgruppe B, after an uneventful traffic jam, rolled through the Ardennes towards Sedan and routed a bunch of thinly-spread reserve infantry and then woops, there’s a French State instead of a French Republic and Harry Styles gets to star in a war movie

Responding to you not in particular but just as a jumping off point :

I thought the consensus was that yeah I guess the French weren't positioned correctly but doing any better would've involved magic psychic powers so it's a really dumb point ; their forces were stationed in an entirely logical manner and the German attack only makes sense as a response to that, and even then it only worked because they got lucky as hell.

As always I look forward to being schooled like the start of the semester and folded like laundry in order to provide better education for all with my dumb idiocy.