Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

KirbyKhan posted:

Yes, give me the vax equivalent of scraping out the resin in my bong.

I don't think it's quite like that! To do dumb math, it's like every shot is 3 mL and every 5-dose vial has 22mL in it.

A typical vaccinator might pull 4mL per dose, then shoot the extra 1mL into the sink if they pulled too much. I've noticed my vaccinators do that a lot with stuff like flu vaccines to make sure their dosage is exact. So that vial yields five doses with not enough left over for a sixth/seventh.

With the massive shortage, vaccinators are being ultra-precise and pulling 3.5mL per shot (~18mL, 4mL left), so hey, there's an extra full dose in that vial! Rad! And the ultra-vaccinator pulls 3.1mL per shot (~15.5mL, 6.5mL left) and holy poo poo, two extra doses!

The vaccinators just asked Pfizer if that vaccine resin was fine, they redirected the folks to the FDA, and the FDA is basically sayin gently caress YEAH SMOKE WEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
housebroken americans thanking the rich because some crumbs fell off the table itt

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I don't see the premise here. Was the PPP bad? No, it provided support to business that needed it. There were also people that took advantage of it. This isn't exclusive with the fact that billionaires are milking the citizens of the US. The greedy will look to exploit any mechanism they can.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

lightpole posted:

The greedy will look to exploit any mechanism they can.
I guess since people got the bare minimum we should just let the greedy shithouse us then, then talk about how much help they gave us.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Woofer posted:

I guess since people got the bare minimum we should just let the greedy shithouse us then, then talk about how much help they gave us.

This is the inverse of the argument "We should cut unemployment because there's some dude eating lobster on his unemployment!"

Instead it's "gently caress this program that helped a bunch of small businesses because billionaires benefited too and they're way more visible than the small businesses!"

In summary, Shut Up Cole.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Raerlynn posted:

This is the inverse of the argument "We should cut unemployment because there's some dude eating lobster on his unemployment!"

Instead it's "gently caress this program that helped a bunch of small businesses because billionaires benefited too and they're way more visible than the small businesses!"

In summary, Shut Up Cole.

gently caress you prick

What I’m getting from this thread is that if minimum wage went from $7.25 to $10, I shouldn’t bitch about minimum wage because hey, that raise would help a lot of people.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Woofer posted:

You are quite literally the only one that has made this argument and aren't bothering to hear anyone. As I said, PPP gave ~3ish months and should have been one pillar, nobody said it was perfect or enough.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 17, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lightpole posted:

I don't see the premise here. Was the PPP bad? No, it provided support to business that needed it. There were also people that took advantage of it. This isn't exclusive with the fact that billionaires are milking the citizens of the US. The greedy will look to exploit any mechanism they can.

The PPP was designed in a way that allowed unscrupulous business owners to take advantage with no real recourse, and that wasn't an accident. Not to mention the outright corrupt administration of the program.

Just because something could have been worse doesn't mean it was good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Woofer posted:

gently caress you prick

What I’m getting from this thread is that if minimum wage went from $7.25 to $10, I shouldn’t bitch about minimum wage because hey, that raise would help a lot of people.

Same vibe

I helped set up the PPP pipeline for my job back in July. Been unemployed since.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Yer, weird posts.

No solution has been offered beyond "don't take the desperately needed stimulus money and instead take a $750 social justice course"

Not exactly inspiring confidence here, no one thinks the stimulus was adequate and no one is happy with the way the country has been run. Dont attack random people on the forums for us policy?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I understand where you're coming from and you are obviously justifiably angry but you're also being a bit of a jerk about it when you keep making these kinds of posts. It's not like Best Friends was personally responsible for the disbursement and administration of PPP loans (...Probably. Has anyone seen him and Steve Mnuchin in the same room?), and it's not like he's defending the massive corruption and graft—merely noting that in spite of the graft, the program did do a lot to help people who needed it. And obviously people should demand more direct relief, nobody disagrees with that—but another round of PPP will do good in helping people.

My brother's non-profit was directly responsible for handing out PPP loans. He helps small to medium businesses that are struggling to get access to capital. While there were a bunch of dumbass things about the program, he said at the time the pot of money needed to be about 10x larger so that he could help all the folks he works with.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Woofer posted:

You're taking a very extreme attitude here—"It helped those who didn't need it in addition to those who did need it, therefore the program was a scam"

But let's frame it in another way—if someone's taking advantage of welfare, should the entire program be shut down? Because to a degree, that's what we're talking about here—welfare fraud writ large. And what I (And others) are saying is that even if the program benefited those who didn't deserve it, it helped a lot of people who did—and instead of looking at the entire program as a sham, we should instead be looking towards better management and administration of these programs, in addition to other reforms of relief.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You're taking a very extreme attitude here—"It helped those who didn't need it in addition to those who did need it, therefore the program was a scam"

But let's frame it in another way—if someone's taking advantage of welfare, should the entire program be shut down? Because to a degree, that's what we're talking about here—welfare fraud writ large. And what I (And others) are saying is that even if the program benefited those who didn't deserve it, it helped a lot of people who did—and instead of looking at the entire program as a sham, we should instead be looking towards better management and administration of these programs, in addition to other reforms of relief.

The program is a scam. Yes. I agree. Give people just enough of a nibble to defend the scam and you don’t need to hire lobbyists anymore.

How about this: if minimum wage goes up to $10, that will help millions of people. Can I still be pissed at how insignificant that help is, even though it benefits millions of people?

Woofer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 17, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Well here's some hilarious good news.

https://twitter.com/owermohle/status/1339338381831114759

Apparently vials are routinely overfilled due to expected spillage in the draw, but Pfizer's vials are REALLY overfilled and pharmacists were like "hey, there's enough for another dose or two".

A friend was joking with me that it's the inverse of how vaping weed is...I assume they are habitually underfilled (meaning legally regulated ones where they can't just cut it with "Chinese Research Chemicals")?

Also with 61 posts in an hour I thought we were flushing the bombers and locking up the mountain.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Abongination posted:

Yer, weird posts.

No solution has been offered beyond "don't take the desperately needed stimulus money and instead take a $750 social justice course"

Not exactly inspiring confidence here, no one thinks the stimulus was adequate and no one is happy with the way the country has been run. Dont attack random people on the forums for us policy?

-Continue to provide support for business, focusing on small business - not "small" businesses that just technically fall under SBA requirements.
-Provide real transparency and oversight of this support so that the benefits go to employees instead of shareholders/owners.
-Put way more money into direct support and unemployment payments.
-gently caress liability exemptions.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't really care if someone barely over the poverty line gets some food stamps they didn't technically qualify for or whatever. The issue is that the US Treasury has been looted for billions (if not tens or hundreds of billions) of dollars by wealthy business owners because a crisis was used to firehose money at the rich.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 17, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cole, just go back to posting in cspam unless you've been ejected from there by the mods and that's the reason you came back here to make posts that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is actually a good thing that should be done.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

orange juche posted:

Cole, just go back to posting in cspam unless you've been ejected from there by the mods and that's the reason you came back here to make posts that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is actually a good thing that should be done.

No

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

orange juche posted:

Man gently caress off with that. Coles been here for a DECADE, not gonna ask folks like that to scoot off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

No, you posting is loving exhausting dude.

There's an easy fix and it's absolutely worthwhile.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Toobin while Zooming?

I kid I kid...seriously I still can't believe he did that. Granted with the school board whackjob in NJ, who brought her laptop into the bathroom with her, suggests zoom stupidity is quite widespread.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Fine, y'all have fun with him.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Leave Cole alone, his opinion isn't really wrong and he has a valid point. I think everyone in here supports the premise that PPP wasn't enough and was poorly administered. Properly used, it did have a very positive effect though.

We should expect more from our government however the change required to reach that is enormous as half the country believes giving money to billionaires is a great thing. Creating that change requires starting small like learning how to organize and creating a message.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

giving businesses money so that a percentage of that goes towards the employees is stupid as gently caress when you could just give employees money directly

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

If minimum wage goes up to $10, that will objectively benefit millions and millions of people.

I would still criticize anyone who said “but it’s helped a lot of people” when I point out that it’s still a poo poo sandwich fed to you by billionaires to get you to shut the gently caress up for a little while, and you should absolutely not be happy about it. Take the raise, but don’t loving accept it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I promise I will mock anyone who gets a federal raise to $10 min wage and then says "There. We're done and satisfied forever!"

But those people don't really exist.

slorb
May 14, 2002
I think PPP money should only go to business owners that are 1) a Pell Grant Recipient who 2) starts a business in a disadvantaged community and 3) manages to keep that business afloat for at least three years.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
In summary, PPP is a land of contrasts.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

slorb posted:

I think PPP money should only go to business owners that are 1) a Pell Grant Recipient who 2) starts a business in a disadvantaged community and 3) manages to keep that business afloat for at least three years.

PPP, even if it were perfect, wasn't designed as investment capital for NEW businesses, though? And gently caress #3, shitloads of businesses go under just because of mass market forces that screw them over, not just from owner looting the coffers.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

PPP, even if it were perfect, wasn't designed as investment capital for NEW businesses, though? And gently caress #3, shitloads of businesses go under just because of mass market forces that screw them over, not just from owner looting the coffers.

It's a joke about the Harris student debt forgiveness plan/farce

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Woofer posted:

If minimum wage goes up to $10, that will objectively benefit millions and millions of people.

I would still criticize anyone who said “but it’s helped a lot of people” when I point out that it’s still a poo poo sandwich fed to you by billionaires to get you to shut the gently caress up for a little while, and you should absolutely not be happy about it. Take the raise, but don’t loving accept it.

If you are starving and someone offers you a cheeseburger do you turn it down and hold out for breakfast, lunch and dinner? The GOP and Mitch have held a gun to the publics head, preventing direct payments, pushing loose requirements to recieve money, limiting liability etc. I'm not going to judge someone that takes the $10 increase because they loving need it. This doesn't mean they can't push for more but if you want them to hold out for it you better have a good loving plan.

I want to discuss this because you are right but I don't know how to overcome the resistance from half the country. Does pushing to call the GOP and get them to pull the trigger cause more misery or will it lead to better things?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 17, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

lightpole posted:

If you are starving and someone offers you a cheeseburger do you turn it down and hold out for breakfast, lunch and dinner? The GOP and Mitch have held a gun to the publics head, preventing direct payments, pushing loose requirements to recieve money, limiting liability etc. I'm not going to judge someone that takes the $10 increase because they loving need it. This doesn't mean they can't push for more but if you want them to hold out for it you better have a good loving plan.

If I’m starving and a billionaire offers me a cheeseburger I’m eating the cheeseburger and then beating the poo poo out of the billionaire because they could’ve done way loving more. At no point will I say I’m no longer starving.

Also in your scenario the billionaire is sitting in front of an all you can eat buffet, and they only offered me a loving cheeseburger.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lightpole posted:

Who's calling out business owners that weren't abusing the program for taking PPP money? The issues and argument are with the design and predictable abuse of the program.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

It's a joke about the Harris student debt forgiveness plan/farce

Oh, derp.

In other news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgBfRTABs4

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

orange juche posted:

:yikes:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Who's calling out business owners that weren't abusing the program for taking PPP money? The issues and argument are with the design and predictable abuse of the program.

Who are your arguing with. Everyone agrees

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Space Force Enlisted: still Enlisted

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1339338189824286720

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goddamn do we have the same Twitter feed? I was just about to post that. :lol:

Well at least he didn’t get it form a pawn shop at an APR of 29.99%

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The more things change the more things stay the same.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

lightpole posted:

I want to discuss this because you are right but I don't know how to overcome the resistance from half the country. Does pushing to call the GOP and get them to pull the trigger cause more misery or will it lead to better things?

I don’t know. I want people to organize. I am very obviously not the greatest at organizing because I’m so passionate about people getting equitable treatment that I obviously come across as confrontational. But I find myself not caring how confrontational I come across because I am so very loving pissed off at this country.

The only thing I know to do right now is educate myself. So like I said, I will be taking a course in January specifically geared towards nonviolent mobilization for social change. The people teaching these courses are subject matter experts in this, because they’ve lived it. This school legitimately produces people who are able to go into their communities and enact change. I am trying to learn from people, because I’m all thumbs (figuratively and literally — at this point all I know how to do is bitch online).

I’m loving trying, y’all. I’m about to have anger tears because I want everyone to be as angry and passionate about this poo poo as I am. I want everyone screaming from rooftops. I want everyone marching. I want everyone to fight, and to not stop fighting until we achieve equity in this loving country. I don’t give a flying gently caress what it will cost me.

I’m so goddamn sick of people just complaining. I want people off their asses. Nothing will change unless. The Democrats aren’t going to steer themselves left. If we can’t steer them, then I want to build a brick loving wall for them to drive into.

And I’m very obviously sick of people accepting crumbs from billionaires. gently caress those people (the billionaires). They don’t get to be satisfied because they gave my starving rear end a cheeseburger when they were sitting at a buffet. And nobody else should EVER loving be satisfied with that poo poo either.

I don’t like some of you. Some of you don’t like me. But I want all of you to be taken care of. I don’t want any of you to have to worry about shelter, food, health insurance. And if it takes being an insufferable prick with unlimited arguing stamina, kicking some doors in or knocking some skulls around then so loving be it.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I guess I don't understand. Wasn't the stipulation for the PPP loan that you not fire people? These companies that fired people will have to pay it back right? Didn't some airliner fire a bunch of people like hours after getting their loan?

I assume they have some way of getting around it? Or at least passing the bill onto the consumers somehow while retaining less of a workforce? :shrug: