Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Any good word about the new X1 Nano? I know they are overpriced. $2000 for 16gb ram is stupidly over priced. My T470 is still chugging along, really see no need to update other than to get a nicer screen, and light is always nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks everyone for the help!

Lockback posted:

Slim vs Thick probably isn't going to be the right focus if you want quiet. X1 Carbon seems like a good pick, but in general you want higher end laptops like that and not cheap ones. Based on your use you might even be able to get away with some of the nicer fanless options, so being loud isn't even possible.

Valid point, honestly my only hesitation with the X1 Carbon is the 14” aspect, which I feel like isn’t going to be as nice as a 13”.

Hadlock posted:

If you liked the X220 you might look at the X13 which is extremely similar footprint to the 12.5" x220, due to smaller bezels on the 13" model. I had the X230 (same chassis as x220) for a long time and upgraded to the X390 which uses the same chassis as the X13

X13 is tempting, now that I’m looking at it. I don’t get machines too often, so I’m trying to dance between CPU/RAM options that are good but not going to be irritating in the near future. Imagine sticking with the i5 10210U or 10510U and 16 or 32GB will be more than enough for my needs? I’ve grown used to 32 on my work machine, but is 16gb the “minimum” like all these reviews are saying now?

Nano seems way too new for me to want to gently caress with, plus the similarities with the old X220 chassis is very appealing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Habibi posted:

X13 is tempting, now that I’m looking at it. I don’t get machines too often, so I’m trying to dance between CPU/RAM options that are good but not going to be irritating in the near future. Imagine sticking with the i5 10210U or 10510U and 16 or 32GB will be more than enough for my needs? I’ve grown used to 32 on my work machine, but is 16gb the “minimum” like all these reviews are saying now?

Nano seems way too new for me to want to gently caress with, plus the similarities with the old X220 chassis is very appealing.

I have 8gb in my x390 (X13) and it's just fine, seems to me like the OS will only use 10 of 16gb typically. 4gb is too little, but it's up to the user to decide if they need the extra 8gb for an extra ~$250

The nano looks cool but that's a lot of money for basically a Thinkpad chromebook with an i5 in it, I might loop back around and look at those when the price comes down. That looks like a $1100 laptop to me, priced at $2000

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
16GB is not at all the minimum for your use case but since it sounds like your someone who goes long stretches without getting a new laptop 16GB is probably a good target. I don't think 32GB would do all that much for you.

Nano looks nice and I wouldn't be worried about it being "too new" but, yeah, overpriced.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I can't wait for gen2 apple silicon

can't waiiiiiiiiiit

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Habibi posted:

Valid point, honestly my only hesitation with the X1 Carbon is the 14” aspect, which I feel like isn’t going to be as nice as a 13”.

The X1 is a hair thinner, just as wide, and like 0.4” longer than the T390

Smaller than the other 14” Lenovo’s for sure.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help. I think with specs more locked in, and knowing this:

Bob Morales posted:

The X1 is a hair thinner, just as wide, and like 0.4” longer than the T390

Smaller than the other 14” Lenovo’s for sure.

I’m probably going to aim for the X1 Carbon.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Which brand rates well so far as used for running Linux, and is more semi-recent?

I have taken a look on Ebay at both Dells and Lenovos, it seems as though the T470/480 models, and the T570 models seem to tick off enough boxes for what I want, possibly with the exception of 4 cores, which would require the x80 refreshes.

Was really looking at the $350-550 range for used, might or might not require a HDD/OS, which I'm comfortable enough installing myself.

Kinda aware that Intel video is preferred lately, as Nvidia is still pretty twitchy so far as driver support without issues; M.2 slots would be nice, but 2.5" for SSDs will work well enough.

I've thought about Ryzen as well, but there's likely few/no choices at the price points I've been looking at.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Killer_B posted:

Which brand rates well so far as used for running Linux, and is more semi-recent?

Red Hat issues all their developers Thinkpads, so they're the Linux laptop gold standard, it's not really worth discussion past that bullet point

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Killer_B posted:

I have taken a look on Ebay at both Dells and Lenovos, it seems as though the T470/480 models, and the T570 models seem to tick off enough boxes for what I want, possibly with the exception of 4 cores, which would require the x80 refreshes.

Was really looking at the $350-550 range for used, might or might not require a HDD/OS, which I'm comfortable enough installing myself.

Kinda aware that Intel video is preferred lately, as Nvidia is still pretty twitchy so far as driver support without issues; M.2 slots would be nice, but 2.5" for SSDs will work well enough.

I've thought about Ryzen as well, but there's likely few/no choices at the price points I've been looking at.

I bought a new in box used T480 and it's a very nice laptop to use. I will be trying Linux on it soon, but haven't gotten around to it yet. People say it all the time, whenever new generations come, but the T480 has been hailed as "last great Thinkpad". There are some things that are good that disappeared with later ones. Upgradeability and the ability to hot swap batteries.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Killer_B posted:

You shouldn't have any problem with a T480

I'd avoid a T470 or earlier because they are dual-core U series... :( You already know that, though.

Here's a T480S for $550 (or best offer) on eBay, needs an SSD though

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T480s-i5-8250U-16GB-Ram-1920x1080-FHD/164585358064?hash=item26520d42f0:g:Q04AAOSwpfxf2pVn

There are probably cheaper ones that was like the third hit. Laptop prices got jacked up by COVID/WFH.

Any chance you can raise your budget at all?

You can buy a T490S with 16GB/512GB for $730, brand new

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T490s/p/22TP2TT490S

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fun fact the X390 and the T490S share the same repair manual

AFAIK the T490S is an X390 with a 14" screen, and a larger chassis to accommodate said screen

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Killer_B posted:

You can get XPS 13 with Ubuntu preloaded

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Keep a close eye on the DPI for Linux laptops because fractional scaling is still practically nonexistent. I couldn't really use Linux on my XPS 13 with 1080p screen, everything is too small at 100% and way too big at 200%. There are experimental modes and hacks to enable it in some DEs but the performance hit is so hard I can't even play Youtube videos. KDE is the only DE that's passable with fractional scaling but a lot of software still doesn't play nice with it.

Also both of my XPS laptops get horrific shrieking coil whine when I boot into Linux for some reason. No idea why. I'd say stick with ThinkPads.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 19, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Coil whine is a warranty covered issue for Dell, you shouldn't hear it

octoyam
Oct 26, 2020

Hadlock posted:

The nano looks cool but that's a lot of money for basically a Thinkpad chromebook with an i5 in it, I might loop back around and look at those when the price comes down. That looks like a $1100 laptop to me, priced at $2000

Do Lenovo laptop prices usually go down after X weeks/months, or does it depend on what other laptops they're selling at the same time?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lenovo prices are multiple parallel roads though hilly terrain with hidden on onramps.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Uh, can I ask a really dumb i-am-not-computer-person laptop question itt?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

Uh, can I ask a really dumb i-am-not-computer-person laptop question itt?

Yeah sure

octoyam posted:

Do Lenovo laptop prices usually go down after X weeks/months, or does it depend on what other laptops they're selling at the same time?

Their online store is a loving mess, I think 95% of their direct sales are through corporate/enterprise deals, or supplying legacy brick and mortar, the retail website is mostly an afterthought

What the other guy said about hills and roads

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Can I put an SSD into this: https://www.newegg.com/white-sony-vaio-nr-series-vgn-nr185e-w/p/N82E16834117610

I know it's old af but I don't know if it's like too old. Someone please tell me i am an idiot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Can I put an SSD into this: https://www.newegg.com/white-sony-vaio-nr-series-vgn-nr185e-w/p/N82E16834117610

I know it's old af but I don't know if it's like too old. Someone please tell me i am an idiot.

I believe the Hard drive is pretty hard to get to, but it looks like it's SATA. It'd also depend on the OS, if this is still on Vista probably not. You probably want at least 8 to get Trim (I believe you can get it on 7 too).

I don't know if that'd even be SATAII but yeah I think it'd work. Wouldn't shock me if it didn't though!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

crucial.com says it's possible to install a 2.5" SATA SSD

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

crucial.com says it's possible to install a 2.5" SATA SSD

Is there a such thing? I can't find anything like that that isn't sata 2 or 3? Doers that matter?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a such thing? I can't find anything like that that isn't sata 2 or 3? Doers that matter?

2.5" is the physical width of the drive, the quotation mark means inches.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It'll just be slower.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a really old laptop with practically no value. Core 2 Duo is probably 2007?

You'd be better off buying a refurbished Thinkpad, probably, than attempting to limp that along any further. You can get a refurbished T430 on eBay for $120 and it might already come with an SSD in it

Another option is look at a used Chromebook for $99, depending on what you want to do with it

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

lampey posted:

You can get XPS 13 with Ubuntu preloaded

Installing Manjaro on the SSD with pre-installed windows is a pain because you have to disable intel rapid storage technology, but there's a guide here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Dell/XPS/XPS-13-7390-2-in-1

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Is there anything better than the Asus G14 on the horizon? I got one back in the early summer for a college-bound kid and I'm a bit surprised it still seems the best for weight, power and price. Thinking it's about time to replace my almost 8-year old T530. It's been great, but it's really starting to show its age.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Albinator posted:

Is there anything better than the Asus G14 on the horizon? I got one back in the early summer for a college-bound kid and I'm a bit surprised it still seems the best for weight, power and price. Thinking it's about time to replace my almost 8-year old T530. It's been great, but it's really starting to show its age.

Well AMD is planning a refresh of AMD laptop CPUs to keep up the race in 2021.

Still haven't found anything similar out there to the Asus G14 in terms of portable gaming laptop along with being that competitive on price for overall specs.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
When is the best time to buy a laptop? I was looking around the black Friday and cyber Monday sales and didn't see anything that looked spectacular. When would be the next good window to shop for a laptop?

Joke answer 11 months from now is fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

When is the best time to buy a laptop? I was looking around the black Friday and cyber Monday sales and didn't see anything that looked spectacular. When would be the next good window to shop for a laptop?

?? There were a bunch of good deals this year. Right now things will probably calm down, though there will be occasional good deals that pop up, they just won't all at once. Usually there are more sales in the Spring and then "Back to School" is the next biggest rush.

What are you looking for?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The next couple of months are probably going to be a good time to buy a discounted last-gen model since the new processors are hitting stores now. Boxing day even, although the doorcrashers are usually terrible.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ On top of this, CES is January 11th, which means new models. Everyone should be clearing inventory between now and things announced there landing on shelves.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 22, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Thanks, maybe I didn't look aggressively enough. I have a Lenovo and will likely get another one. I do some light gaming but tend to keep my computers for years. My current one is from 2012 so I want to be as future proof as possible for about $1600 or so.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Answer in two parts

Newest laptops:

Generally new laptops are announced in June-September and actually land in customers hands late October to February. Once you get in to April, you're getting close to when new products are being announced

That said, there's been a global cpu shortage for 2+ years at this point and it's hard to buy a laptop with the latest cpu in it. New laptops under $800 usually have a cpu model that's 3 years old at this point. Getting a laptop with a 2020 year model cpu gets pricey fast due to limited supply driving prices up

Apple bought 100% of the output of a major taiwanese fab for an entire year which is not helping things. Intel can't get their poo poo together and has been producing CPUs below expected rates for nearly 5 years now, no wonder they've been through 3 CEOs in that time frame

Cheapest laptops

Only crappy, high margin laptops go on sale. It's rare to see the XPS and good Thinkpads go on sale more than $100 off

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 22, 2020

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hadlock posted:

Only crappy, high margin laptops go on sale. It's rare to see the XPS and good Thinkpads go on sale more than $100 off

Thanks, that must be why I was underwhelmed during November. I understand the supply chain issues. Oh well, at least I dont need to be too date sensitive since the deals will be only marginally good.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I just bought a new laptop for work. It will primarily be for work but I'm not sure if it's good for anything else (light gaming, edting, etc) and searching online I can't tell since it's newer. I haven't bought a computer in almost a decade.

It is a dell inspiron 7506 512 ssd and 12 gb of ram.

It's super great for what I need it for just seeing if anyone had any other idea since I am super lost.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Optimist with doubt posted:

I just bought a new laptop for work. It will primarily be for work but I'm not sure if it's good for anything else (light gaming, edting, etc) and searching online I can't tell since it's newer. I haven't bought a computer in almost a decade.

It is a dell inspiron 7506 512 ssd and 12 gb of ram.

It's super great for what I need it for just seeing if anyone had any other idea since I am super lost.

Some very light gaming and editing, probably? There's a bunch of different configurations for most Dell models so hard to say more without knowing the processor and gpu in yours. It's got some flavour of integrated graphics and possibly a discrete laptop gpu that is marginally better.

If you're curious, run DXDIAG from the start menu. The processor is under the system tab and the integrated/discrete gpus will be under the display tabs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's probably fine

Most developers target the Nintendo switch as a build target which is about on par with a Pixel 2 phone from a few years ago, or whatever

Modern laptop will eat that for breakfast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Thanks guys! You are alriiiiight.