Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
And part of that win condition is really poorly balanced. You can't increase vegetation past 40% with buildings in vanilla, you have to keep launching rockets on missions for 5% a go until you get to 100%. It's tedious, and I got a mod to let the buildings keep working.

Just :effort: all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want a city builder with like, a city council you have to manage and gets more into the political side of running a city.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want a city builder with like, a city council you have to manage and gets more into the political side of running a city.

Sounds like The Guild. I'm upset that The Guild 3 was so lovely.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pylons posted:

Sounds like The Guild. I'm upset that The Guild 3 was so lovely.

Ah the guild is cool. I just want something modern that gets into nifty gritty stuff like fights over road diets lol. But this is probably something not a lot of people would be interested in lol.

I love management games I just wish there was more stuff that leans into the dealing with people side of things. Its the reason why the upcoming management game I am looking forward most on steam is this

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Cryofall is on a humble bundle for $10 at the moment. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Snooze Cruise posted:

Someone tried recently, with a game called Urban Empire. Didn’t seem to work, though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Someone tried recently, with a game called Urban Empire. Didn’t seem to work, though.

its the kind of thing that would have to rely very hard on emergent decisions derived from interactions of systems, just using branching decisions would be rough

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ah the guild is cool. I just want something modern that gets into nifty gritty stuff like fights over road diets lol. But this is probably something not a lot of people would be interested in lol.

I love management games I just wish there was more stuff that leans into the dealing with people side of things. Its the reason why the upcoming management game I am looking forward most on steam is this

Wouldn't that just be a dice roll on whether or not you could build your thing/it was more expensive than originally budgeted due to Karen interference?

But yeah, I would like the population I'm managing to have more representation beyond just how many of them are there and whether they are dying. Tropico is one of my favorite because of this, even if the political system is a little crude and basic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Urban Empire was the original Sim City mixed with all the dynamic charms of Republic the Revolution filtered through the most basic tech tree system. It's about as civic America's Mayor.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Oh man, someone else that remembers Republic: The Revolution?

My 13 year old nerd rear end was so excited to play it when it came out in 2003. I joined my very first forum that year and it was for that game. It turned out to be not nearly as ambitious as previews claimed, and that was the last time I ever followed previews that closely. Great music though, and still is pretty to look at. Evil Genius used that engine much better.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes! I love this game. It is not complex but balancing needs vs production is super fun.

Yeah Planetbase is a simple yet oh so fun game if you're the right type of person (I totally am).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

skooma512 posted:

Oh man, someone else that remembers Republic: The Revolution?

My 13 year old nerd rear end was so excited to play it when it came out in 2003. I joined my very first forum that year and it was for that game. It turned out to be not nearly as ambitious as previews claimed, and that was the last time I ever followed previews that closely. Great music though, and still is pretty to look at. Evil Genius used that engine much better.

I had the same experience, turns out politics is actually minigame and pixel hunt driven???

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Galick posted:

Cryofall is on a humble bundle for $10 at the moment. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I keep thinking about it and deciding it looks too multiplayer based for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Alkydere posted:

Yeah Planetbase is a simple yet oh so fun game if you're the right type of person (I totally am).

Yes it is a great game. Dawn of Man was such a disappointment though.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Airborne Kingdoms is a great game. It’s epic exclusive but is currently 20% and I had a $10 off coupon for whatever reason so the game cost me around ten dollars.

It’s a city builder similar to flotsam, if you played that. You build a flying city and travel to different regions to strip mine their resources and help people solve their resource problems while unlocking technologies and recruiting more citizens for your city.

The gameplay loop is tight, engaging, and all of the aspects come together extremely well. It’s just a very well designed game. It is kind of short (I beat it in around 9 1/2 hours) and there’s not much replay value I don’t think, unless you like speed runs or whatever.

The music and graphics are pretty good, though late game at times there’s a colorwashed atmosphere effect that can make it a little hard to see.

I read a bizarre review of the game on eurogamer that spent more than half the review critisizing the game for not being more apologetic about featuring an “empire” and being too optimistic.

I wholeheartedly recommend it, and I hope they release an expansion that adds more stuff.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Alamoduh posted:

Airborne Kingdoms is a great game. It’s epic exclusive but is currently 20% and I had a $10 off coupon for whatever reason so the game cost me around ten dollars.

It’s a city builder similar to flotsam, if you played that. You build a flying city and travel to different regions to strip mine their resources and help people solve their resource problems while unlocking technologies and recruiting more citizens for your city.

The gameplay loop is tight, engaging, and all of the aspects come together extremely well. It’s just a very well designed game. It is kind of short (I beat it in around 9 1/2 hours) and there’s not much replay value I don’t think, unless you like speed runs or whatever.

The music and graphics are pretty good, though late game at times there’s a colorwashed atmosphere effect that can make it a little hard to see.

I read a bizarre review of the game on eurogamer that spent more than half the review critisizing the game for not being more apologetic about featuring an “empire” and being too optimistic.

I wholeheartedly recommend it, and I hope they release an expansion that adds more stuff.

Is it feature complete or early access? It sounds like something I might enjoy but I dunno. I initially loved the sound of Frostpunk but management/city builders with a strictly defined end kind of fall flat for me.

I aught to give Frostpunk endless a go, but I dunno. That game never quite clicked with me.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Aw that's awesome, I distinctly remember having the clamshell DVD case for it on my shelf in my computer room back at home. Sadly from my research I found the game straight up does not work on modern hardware. Such a bummer :smith:

I still have my copy of the movies as well. I refuse to own a windows vista system just to play a single game

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Is it feature complete or early access? It sounds like something I might enjoy but I dunno. I initially loved the sound of Frostpunk but management/city builders with a strictly defined end kind of fall flat for me.

I aught to give Frostpunk endless a go, but I dunno. That game never quite clicked with me.

Feature complete, not early access. However, it has a strictly defined end. The win-state is to visit all the places and do all the things. You can still play past that point if you want.

Going to say that it’s $10 with the epic store coupon and the game is well worth it. However, it may not be your cup of tea and that’s OK. Frostpunk is also a good game and you should also play that if you have it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I was watchin Criken play Black and White which is kind of a management game. Black and White 2 definitely is a management game. God drat do those need to be brought to GoG or steam or something.

I could really use a new Black and White in my life right now. one that combines the first games quirky stuff, (creatures, quests, spells.) With 2s more modernized mechanicsy stuff (city construction, army commanding)

drat now I really want this.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an LP of B&W 1 or 2? The one in the LP archive is so old that I can't actually make out anything watching the videos. I loved playing them when I was a kid but wasn't actually smart or dedicated enough to actually finish either one.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just remember B&W being hotly anticipated, and then it was so buggy I couldn't get it to run consistently.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Black & White is one of those games like Homeworld where I probably have every single detail of its development and release and gameplay etched permanently into the folds of my brain. I'm torn between wanting to play that and wanting to leave them in the better-than-it-could-possibly-be memory.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Alamoduh posted:

Feature complete, not early access. However, it has a strictly defined end. The win-state is to visit all the places and do all the things. You can still play past that point if you want.

Going to say that it’s $10 with the epic store coupon and the game is well worth it. However, it may not be your cup of tea and that’s OK. Frostpunk is also a good game and you should also play that if you have it.

I do own Frostpunk but I think it sort of falls under that umbrella of “solveable with one best solution” or so - and that kind of hits me wrong. That’s why I like W&R and games of its style. You can solve it’s “problems” a variety of ways. Another way I describe my preference to friends is that I like “toys” not “games” - I don’t like winning and losing, I like playing with stuff.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I do own Frostpunk but I think it sort of falls under that umbrella of “solveable with one best solution” or so - and that kind of hits me wrong. That’s why I like W&R and games of its style. You can solve it’s “problems” a variety of ways. Another way I describe my preference to friends is that I like “toys” not “games” - I don’t like winning and losing, I like playing with stuff.

Yeah this is a good way to articulate how I feel too, there's a lot of games that seem like they're open with solutions and strategic but in the end they're puzzles with one solution. It's like the gaming equivalent of the job interview bullshit questions like "why is a manhole cover round".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone know anything about Founder's Fourtune? I hadn't heard of it until pretty much right now but it just came out of EA and looks kinda alright actually.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Squiggle posted:

Black & White is one of those games like Homeworld where I probably have every single detail of its development and release and gameplay etched permanently into the folds of my brain. I'm torn between wanting to play that and wanting to leave them in the better-than-it-could-possibly-be memory.

Ah yes, the "teach your Avatar to literally eat their own poo poo" game

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Alamoduh posted:

Can someone help me parse how the Epic coupon works? It looks like if I buy game with it I get another coupon with it, but I can’t tell if the requirement if that I buy a game that costs $20 before coupons and discounts (in which case I can get AE now and have another coupon to spend with Christmas money) or one that costs $20 after coupons and discounts (in which case I need to wait until after Christmas so I can buy it as the last thing in my list).

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

explosivo posted:

Anyone know anything about Founder's Fourtune? I hadn't heard of it until pretty much right now but it just came out of EA and looks kinda alright actually.

It's not very good. I played it a couple of weeks ago, and it still feels massively unfinished.

The biggest problem is that the AI is incredibly bad, so you have to keep micromanaging your colonists, and if you don't they die. The negative maluses (some of which you can't control) are much higher than any positive bonuses, which means that when your colonists are unhappy, you can't do anything about it.

Also, the 'normal' beginning is incredibly hard and relies on pitch-perfect timing to get crops planted before your colonists all starve to death (in a day or less).

There's the bones of a good game somewhere in there, but as it stands it's massively unfinished and I wouldn't recommend it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Volmarias posted:

Ah yes, the "teach your Avatar to literally eat their own poo poo" game

gently caress yeah, the dream

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Radiation Cow posted:

There's the bones of a good game somewhere in there, but as it stands it's massively unfinished and I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks! Wishlisted for now. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens with it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Granted I haven’t played it and I don’t know a lot about it so this is literally just from reading what others say, but Founders Fortune always seemed to strike me as “wants to be rimworld but doesn’t differentiate or improve on any aspect whatsoever and is worse in every way.”

Normally I wouldn’t post things that are such brutal personal speculation but the more I hear about the game the more I feel like the correct answer to wanting it is “just play rimworld.”

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mayveena posted:

Yes it is a great game. Dawn of Man was such a disappointment though.

I feel Dawn of Man is a better made and designed game (certainly the AI is better) that opens up the world to such a degree it quickly becomes too easy in many ways. I feel Planetbase's simpler, gamier setup simply gave it a stronger gameplay loop.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

I don't like that style of game either, but I also don't like pure toy/sandbox games. I need a purpose in a game not generated by me, and just playing with tools gets old fast for me

I think games can do both, not be straightjacketed as to the method of getting to victory, but still have win conditions.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I wanted Dawn of Man to be smaller scaled, at least for a good majority of a playthrough. The feeling of a small tribe where you know each member well, and the environment (and life) was short and brutal.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

skeleton warrior posted:

Can someone help me parse how the Epic coupon works? It looks like if I buy game with it I get another coupon with it, but I can’t tell if the requirement if that I buy a game that costs $20 before coupons and discounts (in which case I can get AE now and have another coupon to spend with Christmas money) or one that costs $20 after coupons and discounts (in which case I need to wait until after Christmas so I can buy it as the last thing in my list).

The coupons work any game that costs 14,99 or more after the discounts, but before the coupon. So it will work on Airborne Kingdom.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

It's not very good. I played it a couple of weeks ago, and it still feels massively unfinished.

The biggest problem is that the AI is incredibly bad, so you have to keep micromanaging your colonists, and if you don't they die. The negative maluses (some of which you can't control) are much higher than any positive bonuses, which means that when your colonists are unhappy, you can't do anything about it.

Also, the 'normal' beginning is incredibly hard and relies on pitch-perfect timing to get crops planted before your colonists all starve to death (in a day or less).

That sounds abysmal to be honest. Especially the whole typical thing where you have to do the One Correct Build Order or lose crap. There are more difficulty settings than infinite resource sandbox or grognard squared.

Not sure if the game has it but I hate the terrible feeback loop you can so easily get into in so many games: Your colonists are refusing to work. They are refusing to work because they are starving. They are starving because the food stores are empty. The food stores are empty because the crops haven't been harvested. The crops haven't been harvested because your farmers are refusing to work. That is an awful failure in game design.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Burning Rain posted:

The coupons work any game that costs 14,99 or more after the discounts, but before the coupon. So it will work on Airborne Kingdom.

Awesome, thank you!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah we got talking so i got B&W 1 through :files:(because its the only way to get it if you dont have a disk drive like me) and it is marvelously janky. It somehow still runs but my savefiles just up and dissappear. Other than that the game runs alright, just not gonna get that far.

I tried to make my creature poo poo in the fields so he poo poo in the store house.

WE GOT THIS NOTION THAT WED QUITE LIKE TO SAIL THE OCEAN...

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 19, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hihohe posted:

WE GOT THIS NOTION THAT WED QUITE LIKE TO SAIL THE OCEAN...

Jesus Christ.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It haunts my mind forevermore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Given the general stability and the scripting errors of the original release it was very likely you heard the sea shanty 15 times before giving up.