Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm currently using a Arris SB8200 modem and a Arris surfboard AC3200P router.

I loving hate it, while the wired networks generally works as intended and can sometimes run up to at at least 1/2 gig speeds (I pay for 1 gig, but you know, that's probably the cable company loving me, not the modem or router), the wireless is super buggy and when I tried to make a Pihole I found the router was so locked down that I couldn't do goddamn anything with it, you can't even set a custom DNS with it.

Should I ahead and buy the Archer in the op, or is there some hack I can use to get around the firmware and have more customizable settings? I'm okay with taking some risks here.

E: Basically, some way to make it capable of being less locked down or alternatively suggest a router that is reliable and will at least allow me to use custom DNS and maybe other stuff like VPN capable routers. Ideally one capable/already based on an open source firmware/software.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Another dumb question but are there any USB to Wifi 6 (802.11ax) adapters in existence yet? I don't see any at all on Amazon.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I'm currently using a Arris SB8200 modem and a Arris surfboard AC3200P router.

I loving hate it, while the wired networks generally works as intended and can sometimes run up to at at least 1/2 gig speeds (I pay for 1 gig, but you know, that's probably the cable company loving me, not the modem or router), the wireless is super buggy and when I tried to make a Pihole I found the router was so locked down that I couldn't do goddamn anything with it, you can't even set a custom DNS with it.

Should I ahead and buy the Archer in the op, or is there some hack I can use to get around the firmware and have more customizable settings? I'm okay with taking some risks here.

E: Basically, some way to make it capable of being less locked down or alternatively suggest a router that is reliable and will at least allow me to use custom DNS and maybe other stuff like VPN capable routers. Ideally one capable/already based on an open source firmware/software.

The OP was last updated 2 and a half years ago and there's definitely better options by now but I just want to note that only getting 500 down on a speed test when you pay for 1gig on a wired connection is not normal and you should probably work to resolve that first. Do a speed test with your PC connected directly to the modem bypassing the router and see what you get.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The latest C7 is very good for the price, though.

I mean, in my time setting a friend’s up. I still have my old V2 and it handles all I throw at it very well. Still getting updates too!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cyks posted:

The OP was last updated 2 and a half years ago and there's definitely better options by now but I just want to note that only getting 500 down on a speed test when you pay for 1gig on a wired connection is not normal and you should probably work to resolve that first. Do a speed test with your PC connected directly to the modem bypassing the router and see what you get.

I ran it on a pi connected to the network, I have cox so I figured it is what it is at this point. I already called and complained to no avail.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cyks posted:

Ah. Is there a consensus “power user” router?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Modem: Arris SB6190
Router: TP-Link WR841N
ISP: Comcast/Xfinity

Just signed up for 600Mbps in my new apartment, getting 200 plugged direct into modem, 90 hardwired through router. I know this is old gear but these numbers are pretty crap. Are there some basic settings I need to review before I call and complain to Comcast? (Who will probably just tell me to get new gear.)

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not sure if this question is within the scope of this thread, but it all involves accessing things on my home network : )

I am looking to backup my 2015 Macbook Air (10.14.6) to "remote" storage on a PC I own. The PC is running Windows 10 Pro and the storage medium is an empty HDD that can be reformatted if needed. I really don't need a full system backup of the Macbook, just a few important files. I've tried to do this manually through Google Drive as I'm paying for 100GB of storage there, but the upload time is impractical due to the size of the files. Ideally, I'd like a solution that uploads backups of my laptop every day while it's in use (as I likely won't leave it running overnight) to the PC HDD. It would be great if I could restore using the same tools, but it isn't required as long as I can access the files physically in case of emergency.

Is this possible a) at all, b) with the equipment I have, and c) with open source/libre software? Or am I making this much more complicated than it is?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

the numa numa song posted:

Just signed up for 600Mbps in my new apartment, getting 200 plugged direct into modem, 90 hardwired through router. I know this is old gear but these numbers are pretty crap. Are there some basic settings I need to review before I call and complain to Comcast? (Who will probably just tell me to get new gear.)

That's a 300mbps router. You need a new router for starters.

But you're not even getting your contacted speeds through the modem and the modem should be fine. So either the modem's dying or there's a levels issue that needs to be addressed by an ISP tech. You probably will have to call.

Did comcast come to the apartment to do the install?

Renegret fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 18, 2020

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Renegret posted:

That's a 300mbps router. You need a new router.

Looks like the wired ports are only 100 Mbps as well, so wired would be even worse performance than wireless with that router

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fletcher posted:

Looks like the wired ports are only 100 Mbps as well, so wired would be even worse performance than wireless with that router

Oh yeah I didn't even notice because I spent like 5 seconds googling because I'm more concerned about not getting the right speeds when directly connected to the modem.

Generally speaking I recommend people just pay the drat modem rental fee because of situations like this. Normally it's the ISPs problem, but now you also have to rule out the modem yourself instead of the ISP tech grabbing a new one off their truck while they're there checking everything else.

Though if they're nice enough, they might pull one off the truck just to test with.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

It's also a $20 router and should just go immediately into the trash.
The SB6190 is also known to have issues due to the puma 6 chipset and should be avoided.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BrianRx posted:

I'm not sure if this question is within the scope of this thread, but it all involves accessing things on my home network : )

I am looking to backup my 2015 Macbook Air (10.14.6) to "remote" storage on a PC I own. The PC is running Windows 10 Pro and the storage medium is an empty HDD that can be reformatted if needed. I really don't need a full system backup of the Macbook, just a few important files. I've tried to do this manually through Google Drive as I'm paying for 100GB of storage there, but the upload time is impractical due to the size of the files. Ideally, I'd like a solution that uploads backups of my laptop every day while it's in use (as I likely won't leave it running overnight) to the PC HDD. It would be great if I could restore using the same tools, but it isn't required as long as I can access the files physically in case of emergency.

Is this possible a) at all, b) with the equipment I have, and c) with open source/libre software? Or am I making this much more complicated than it is?

May be outside the scope of the thread, but it depends on if you're looking for a really feature-rich setup or if you just want a folder backed up. Do you need versioning?

If you don't need versioning and you just want these files in one place, check out syncthing https://syncthing.net. It's not perfect but you can then get some support for versions of those files (in case of accidental deletion or whatever) using Windows' File History feature.

If you want a crazy feature-rich solution, check out Nextcloud. It's essentially the same as Google Drive but free and running on your own hardware.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

tuyop posted:

The latest C7 is very good for the price, though.

I mean, in my time setting a friend’s up. I still have my old V2 and it handles all I throw at it very well. Still getting updates too!

I just had to replace an old AirPort Extreme that died after six years of service. I got an A7 (a C7 with some really dumb Alexa gimmicks like turning the LEDs on and off), mostly because it was relatively cheap and available very, very quickly. I was thinking that’d give me enough time to shop around for a permanent replacement, and then I could keep it as a backup.

I haven’t bothered shopping for a replacement. It’s ugly, but it hides on top of a bookcase just fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I ran it on a pi connected to the network, I have cox so I figured it is what it is at this point. I already called and complained to no avail.

Depending on the model, your pi is likely limited on bandwidth because of the way the buses are set up, so you probably don't need to worry about your wired speeds - they should approach 1Gbit with an actually-capable client device.

As for the router, yeah I'd recommend replacing it. Thread favorites might be a combination of ER-4 + a Unifi access point; they've got some Wifi6-capable APs these days. What kind of area are you planning to cover with wifi?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you've unplugged/replugged power to your modem and are only getting 200 Mbps from a device wired directly to it (no router in between), you likely have a problem with your cable service and/or modem.

As mentioned, that router also needs to be replaced ASAP.

edit: Definitely also test the modem-only wired configuration with a different ethernet cable, as CaptainSarcastic points out below, if you haven't already.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

tuyop posted:

May be outside the scope of the thread, but it depends on if you're looking for a really feature-rich setup or if you just want a folder backed up. Do you need versioning?

If you don't need versioning and you just want these files in one place, check out syncthing https://syncthing.net. It's not perfect but you can then get some support for versions of those files (in case of accidental deletion or whatever) using Windows' File History feature.

If you want a crazy feature-rich solution, check out Nextcloud. It's essentially the same as Google Drive but free and running on your own hardware.

Whoa, thanks a lot, those options are exactly what I've been ineffectually searching google for. Syncthing + Windows File History is probably sufficient, but I'm definitely going to spend some time with Nextcloud. If it had email, it looks like it could be a complete replacement of Google's productivity products.

Thanks again!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aside from the stuff already mentioned, you might try different ethernet cables. I was getting way worse speeds than I should have because I was inadvertently using an old, slow cable from my modem to my router.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

astral posted:

Depending on the model, your pi is likely limited on bandwidth because of the way the buses are set up, so you probably don't need to worry about your wired speeds - they should approach 1Gbit with an actually-capable client device.

As for the router, yeah I'd recommend replacing it. Thread favorites might be a combination of ER-4 + a Unifi access point; they've got some Wifi6-capable APs these days. What kind of area are you planning to cover with wifi?

I live in a tiny box that’s almost a studio so I’m good on that front.

Anything slightly cheaper?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Wow, lots of feedback, thanks yall.

Renegret posted:

Did comcast come to the apartment to do the install?
Nope. Since it was my own equipment I just had service transferred from my old place (same city). I'm guessing the guy just went around the side of the building and flipped a switch or whatever.

Cyks posted:

The SB6190 is also known to have issues due to the puma 6 chipset and should be avoided.
Not pointing fingers but I'll have you know that goons recommended this modem several thousand years ago!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aside from the stuff already mentioned, you might try different ethernet cables. I was getting way worse speeds than I should have because I was inadvertently using an old, slow cable from my modem to my router.
Yep. Can confirm different cables still can't break 200.

Renegret posted:

Generally speaking I recommend people just pay the drat modem rental fee because of situations like this.
I swear that several thousand years ago it was a goon thread touting the virtue of buying your own equipment over using the ISP factory junk. Has ISP hardware improved enough to justify it? Is this no longer the Wisdom?

e: Did a factory reset on the modem for a lark; still 200.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 19, 2020

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Wow, lots of feedback, thanks yall.

Nope. Since it was my own equipment I just had service transferred from my old place (same city). I'm guessing the guy just went around the side of the building and flipped a switch or whatever.

Not pointing fingers but I'll have you know that goons recommended this modem several thousand years ago!

Yep. Can confirm different cables still can't break 200.

I swear that several thousand years ago it was a goon thread touting the virtue of buying your own equipment over using the ISP factory junk. Has ISP hardware improved enough to justify it? Is this no longer the Wisdom?

e: Did a factory reset on the modem for a lark; still 200.

I assume your client can hit higher than 200? Like it isn’t an old usb dongle or something?

Assuming there really is an upstream issue, buy a new modem or rent one from the ISP. Most in this thread still advocate buying your own (it makes sense financially in almost every situation), but renting puts the ISP on the hook for making sure it is hitting their speeds (they can’t blame your equipment). Ultimately up to you whether the $10/mo is worth it or not.

Then buy a new router. TP-Link, Asus, whatever - something modern.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

thiazi posted:

Assuming there really is an upstream issue, buy a new modem or rent one from the ISP. Most in this thread still advocate buying your own (it makes sense financially in almost every situation), but renting puts the ISP on the hook for making sure it is hitting their speeds (they can’t blame your equipment). Ultimately up to you whether the $10/mo is worth it or not.

Then buy a new router. TP-Link, Asus, whatever - something modern.

Any recommendations for modem? Something without a borked chipset? Relatively future proof?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Yeah I imagine the consensus is probably the same, but personally I don't agree. The ISP routers suck rear end but the modems are generally fine. It helps a lot to be able to disregard the modem as a troubleshooting step and make it their problem. Then you can confidently say, if you are directly connected to the modem and speeds are slow, then it's the ISPs problem. 200 on a 600 service is not acceptable.

Like I said though, since they didn't come to your apartment to verify RF levels, it's either the modem or a levels issue. Anything past that will be affecting the entire apartment complex or neighborhood. There's also the comical answer of, the speed test server is having a problem. I've seen that happen before but it's rare.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Renegret posted:

Yeah I imagine the consensus is probably the same, but personally I don't agree. The ISP routers suck rear end but the modems are generally fine. It helps a lot to be able to disregard the modem as a troubleshooting step and make it their problem. Then you can confidently say, if you are directly connected to the modem and speeds are slow, then it's the ISPs problem. 200 on a 600 service is not acceptable.

You've never had trouble with frontier service have you? "Sir your router must be broken, it's not that the 100mbps service you signed up for is flatline maxing out at the 50mbps you had before. No we have no way of testing the ONT."

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Any recommendations for modem? Something without a borked chipset? Relatively future proof?

I've been happy with my Arris SB8200, maxes out my gigabit xfinity connection no problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

H110Hawk posted:

You've never had trouble with frontier service have you? "Sir your router must be broken, it's not that the 100mbps service you signed up for is flatline maxing out at the 50mbps you had before. No we have no way of testing the ONT."

Nope.

I didn't say anything about them accepting responsibility :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fletcher posted:

I've been happy with my Arris SB8200, maxes out my gigabit xfinity connection no problem.

I also have an 8200 that has been handling my gigabit without issues. All the surfboards have treated me well over the years

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So the thread is right, the limit was my pi, not my router. Runs at 850 down and 50 up on a high end computer.

That being said I still hate the router because of the wireless unreliability and the LAN DNS being locked. Any under 100 recommendations?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This is the c7 that everyone gushes about, right?

https://www.target.com/p/tp-link-ac1750-dual-band-wireless-gigabit-wifi-5-router-archer-c7/-/A-75575360

My router has been dropping intermittently at times and last night it was causing bad rubberbanding in a game (tried restarting my pc, all kinds of stuff... went away immediately when I restarted the router), which is a new one for me.

Thinking seriously about running DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it and it looks like it has good support. Opinions? Is one notably better than the other?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have refused to rent my modem for years and years now. At $7 or more a month it doesn't take long to balance out the price of a new modem. Never had a problem with the modems I've owned other than needing to replace them due to needing a newer DOCSIS version.

Check Xfinity for their approved modem list at a given speed and you should be fine: https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices

Compare reviews and pricing and go from there.

I have Xfinity service and run a Netgear CM500 I got at BestBuy for maybe $50 at the time. Depending on what speed you have and what speed you think you might upgrade to then choose a modem accordingly. At a glance my CM500 is rated up to 680mbps, and around here the pricing on that is unreasonable and it handles my 200mbps service beautifully.

I mean, it looks like monthly rental prices for their gateway device are $14/month. At that price, owning my own modem and router means that over 2 years I have saved $336.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Jesus $14/month will make me change my opinion real fast.

I only pay $5 and it's been replaced enough to make it worth it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah I think it was about $7/mo at Comcast and a modem was about $25 off eBay so it doesn’t take too long to come out ahead on that one.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I mean, it looks like monthly rental prices for their gateway device are $14/month. At that price, owning my own modem and router means that over 2 years I have saved $336.

However if you're stuck with Comcast (as I am in my new house) it should be noted that xFi complete includes modem rental and unlimited data for $25/month. That's a better deal than the $30 unlimited data package if you are routinely going over 1tb.

gently caress everything to do with Xfinity.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KS posted:

However if you're stuck with Comcast (as I am in my new house) it should be noted that xFi complete includes modem rental and unlimited data for $25/month. That's a better deal than the $30 unlimited data package if you are routinely going over 1tb.

gently caress everything to do with Xfinity.

Yeah, there are a lot of things you have to factor in with them. TV + Internet or just Internet? VoIP? Data usage?

As it is I am paying a grand total of $64.01 a month including fees and such for 200mbps service (that frequently actually hits 250mbps - don't tell Comcast:ssh:). I think the most data I've ever used in a month was under 450gb, so the data cap is essentially meaningless to me.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I wish I could use my own modem with att fiber...having to use their garbage modem/router combo and having to pay for it is rather annoying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rakeris posted:

I wish I could use my own modem with att fiber...having to use their garbage modem/router combo and having to pay for it is rather annoying.

Pretty sure you can replace it, I've seen multiple youtube videos on the topic

Anyone have any strong opinions on the Aruba Instant-On wifi stuff? I can get them at a pretty hefty discount (like 50% off the AP22) and was wondering how they compared to the unifi mesh systems

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So the thread is right, the limit was my pi, not my router. Runs at 850 down and 50 up on a high end computer.

May I ask what model rPi you were using?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

For sure. It's still in the OP as the best modem to get even, another reason it's seriously in need of being updated and I've thought about submitting a replacement to a mod but I'm not really the most qualified when it comes to home networks.

That's not to say the modem is the problem and a bunch of people use it with no issues but it is a red flag.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Getting CenturyLink gigabit fiber installed in a week. Currently running a Edgerouter X (with hardware offload enabled, no QoS or anything else) connected to both a single AC Lite (for PoE) and a TP-Link 8 Port gigabit switch, which is connected to an old-rear end DLINK gig switch in the living room. I am 80% sure the fiber will be PPPoE.

It seems like the smart move (?) is to upgrade to an Edgerouter 4 to get full wired gigabit speed. I don't plan on upgrading the AP for a while. All the important stuff (desktops and A/V) is wired. I have the PoE injector that came with the Lite. I assume the smartest way to wire everything up is to connect the AP to the switch with the PoE and just have one patch cable going to the ER-4?

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that the ER-X should be retired if I'm on gigabit fiber. I don't know poo poo about networking. Some stuff I read makes it sound like the ER-X can allllmost handle gigabit wired with hardware offload but most people seem to push the ER-4. I would definitely mess around a little with any Edge OS DPI and/or other non-CPU intensive network analysis poo poo but it is not something I'm specifically looking for. Probably won't bother with QoS on the ER-4 either but if it had the overhead to handle it, I might gently caress around and find out.

My level of networking knowledge is that I got the ER-X to work with NextDNS by using their setup script and by figuring out how to block like three different ways the ER-X just blindly inherits the ISP DNS over IPv6 but if you put a gun to my head and told me to do it all over again I would pull the trigger myself.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

el_caballo posted:

Getting CenturyLink gigabit fiber installed in a week. Currently running a Edgerouter X (with hardware offload enabled, no QoS or anything else) connected to both a single AC Lite (for PoE) and a TP-Link 8 Port gigabit switch, which is connected to an old-rear end DLINK gig switch in the living room. I am 80% sure the fiber will be PPPoE.

It seems like the smart move (?) is to upgrade to an Edgerouter 4 to get full wired gigabit speed. I don't plan on upgrading the AP for a while. All the important stuff (desktops and A/V) is wired. I have the PoE injector that came with the Lite. I assume the smartest way to wire everything up is to connect the AP to the switch with the PoE and just have one patch cable going to the ER-4?

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that the ER-X should be retired if I'm on gigabit fiber. I don't know poo poo about networking. Some stuff I read makes it sound like the ER-X can allllmost handle gigabit wired with hardware offload but most people seem to push the ER-4. I would definitely mess around a little with any Edge OS DPI and/or other non-CPU intensive network analysis poo poo but it is not something I'm specifically looking for. Probably won't bother with QoS on the ER-4 either but if it had the overhead to handle it, I might gently caress around and find out.

My level of networking knowledge is that I got the ER-X to work with NextDNS by using their setup script and by figuring out how to block like three different ways the ER-X just blindly inherits the ISP DNS over IPv6 but if you put a gun to my head and told me to do it all over again I would pull the trigger myself.

If you have HW accel on then you are probably fine keeping the ER-X. Use it for a bit and see? It will fall on its face if you turn on any QoS or turn off HW acceleration, though.

E: you can specify the DNS servers the ER-X distributes to DHCP clients if you are using it as the DHCP server. You can also set up the ER to use DNS over TLS to any DNS service that supports it. https://chameth.com/dns-over-tls-on-edgerouter-lite/

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 21, 2020