Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Love that it will Ming in it too, she’s a tremendous actor. poo poo I’ve loved her ever since see and Raul Julia squared off.

For you, the day Boba Fett graced your path was the most important day if your life.

But for me, it was Life Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

And Tyler Too! posted:

Watching the most recent episode and I have to know, how the gently caress does a laser gun jam?

Sweeps everyone with the ‘jammed’ auto blaster but after its unjammed everyone careful not to get in front of it. All of the combat in the finale just seems so phoned in.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I think I had built up the idea of Mace Windu coming back that I was just bummed when it was Luke. Seems like it was the easiest route they could go. I was also really hoping for the Force ghost of Anakin to show up and tell them to just walk away from the Force and try to live a normal life.

I don't know where they go from here. I can't imagine this showing continuing without Grogu, but I also have no desire to see any Jedi bullshit or training. I feel like any attempt to get Grogu back with Mando is going to be convoluted and completely negate this awful Luke ending.

I guess I just don't understand why they keep bringing these characters back. It made me think of professional wrestling. They keep dragging these old dudes out that are in their 50's, 60's, and even older, because the product sucks, they're losing fans, and they haven't built up any stars. Star Wars doesn't have that problem at all, though. Mandalorian is a hit without a single OT character being involved, so it really does come down to fan service.

Another thing I hated is that, if you were a brand new viewer and knew nothing about Star Wars, you could watch Mandalorian and be totally fine. Sure, you'd miss little things, but I compare that to watching the Harry Potter movies without reading the books. You're still fine. But now with Luke, in the context of The Mandalorian, they've brought in some random dude, who doesn't even tell them his loving name or explain who he is or what he wants, and then takes this kid away.

ALSO, it's loving dumb that Luke looks exactly like he did in RotJ, when it's been, what, seven years?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

e: And why the gently caress would anyone ever build an airlock into the room where they store their robots in a battle cruiser?

Probably an emergency measure, given the prevalence of rogue experimental killer droids in the Star Wars galaxy

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

feedmyleg posted:

e: And why the gently caress would anyone ever build an airlock into the room where they store their robots in a battle cruiser?

This bugged me as well but I figure you could logic it away as a way to deploy them in space or whatever. But they seemed way less menacing how easily they got sucked out. And lol at the only resource they have to open locked doors is robot punch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

3 A.M. Radio posted:

But now with Luke, in the context of The Mandalorian, they've brought in some random dude, who doesn't even tell them his loving name or explain who he is or what he wants, and then takes this kid away.

He literally says he's a Jedi and he wants to train Grogu. Even if you've somehow lived under a rock for the past half a century, they tell you everything you need to know.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

feedmyleg posted:

It's where they're deployed from.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

If you want to bring back Luke or Han, couldn't you first have an end season teaser with a low-res hologram CG model with their voice, and see what the audience response is, and then move from there in the new season?

Almost got it correct a month ago

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it just me or does the writing suck?

Mostly just you.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
So Jabba dies and Bib Fortuna says “Well, looks like I’M the boss now” and everyone listens to him? Weird. I’d figure another Hutt would take over all of Jabba’s assets. Unless Bib was in Jabba’s will

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

It's where they're deployed from.

To where? Space? They're droids, not spaceships. And it's a battle cruiser, not a landing ship, and that wasn't a docking mechanism it was a door.

I'm being a big ol' Negative Nancy here but everything about those droids sucked. The design, the door punching, how many of them there were, how easily they were dispatched, how goofy they looked flying through space, all of it.

Luke destroying the droids was cool in the same way as Vader at the end of Rogue One—neat in a vacuum, but really just nostalgia bait showing them to be universe-breakingly overpowered in a moment that feels totally disconnected from the rest of the narrative and is there only as an attempt to legitimize a franchise entry. That was not the parallel they wanted to draw between the two sequences, I'm thinking.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Skynet.

Seriously in case they went rogue and/or the power consumption was too much of an issue and they need to be jettisoned in an emergency.

That said I do think it was mostly in case they went wonky at Gideon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

feedmyleg posted:

To where? Space? They're droids, not spaceships. And it's a battle cruiser, not a landing ship.

I'm being a big ol' Negative Nancy here but everything about those droids sucked. The design, the door punching, how many of them there were, how easily they were dispatched, how goofy they looked flying through space, all of it.

Luke destroying the droids was cool in the same way as Vader at the end of Rogue One—neat in a vacuum, but really just nostalgia bait showing them to be universe-breakingly overpowered in a moment that feels totally disconnected from the rest of the narrative and is there only as an attempt to legitimize a franchise entry. That was not the parallel they wanted to draw between the two sequences, I'm thinking.

Did you miss the part on Tython where they rocketed out of the ship and kidnapped baby Yoda? Probably from the same airlock they got spaced from.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr.Radical posted:

So Jabba dies and Bib Fortuna says “Well, looks like I’M the boss now” and everyone listens to him? Weird. I’d figure another Hutt would take over all of Jabba’s assets. Unless Bib was in Jabba’s will

I suspect he probably just knew a lot of the way the business worked and was the only one really capable of taking over…As opposed to muscle and guards.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gently caress that owned. It's like a complete 180 of how I felt watching Episode IX last year.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

gotta disagree re: the punching, those robot boys love to punch and i can't hate em for it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

3 A.M. Radio posted:

ALSO, it's loving dumb that Luke looks exactly like he did in RotJ, when it's been, what, seven years?

lol of all the dumb complaints

People in actual real life sometimes don't look any different after a decade. There is an actual example on the show with Ming-Na.

Also if you're watching something Star Wars and you don't know who Luke is, you're probably in the smallest of minorities. And even then that would just lead to "let's watch the original trilogy and find out who this is."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

gently caress that owned. It's like a complete 180 of how I felt watching Episode IX last year.

It sure beats bikechat. ;)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Is having doors on their bay so they can rapidly deploy out of the ship really a dumb thing? They are droids with rocket boots who cares if they exposed to vacuum

Arcsquad12 posted:

For you, the day Boba Fett graced your path was the most important day if your life.

But for me, it was Life Day.

:discourse:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The droids punching is the same as the Empire using walkers instead of hover-tanks: it’s a show of force designed to frighten and demoralize your enemies.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Dr.Radical posted:

All the other hutts are ded tho?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Deepfake Luke looked a little off because obviously the technology isn't perfect but my biggest issue with him is that his cloak looks way too nice and new. Weather that poo poo a bit!

feedmyleg posted:

To where? Space? They're droids, not spaceships. And it's a battle cruiser, not a landing ship, and that wasn't a docking mechanism it was a door.

I mean, they can fly in atmo and presumably deployed out of the ship when they came and kidnapped Grogu initially.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
The stormtroopers falling off the gantry and just into the freezing void of space reminded me of how much the Empire engineers designed these things to be absolute death traps.

Robot Chicken really nailed it with the "They said if they put in handrails people would be leaning on them all the time instead of working"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Its Rinaldo posted:

Is having doors on their bay so they can rapidly deploy out of the ship really a dumb thing? They are droids with rocket boots who cares if they exposed to vacuum

Honestly I feel even dumb thinking it was a safety method for a couple of minutes compared to deployment method.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Did you miss the part on Tython where they rocketed out of the ship and kidnapped baby Yoda? Probably from the same airlock they got spaced from.

Alright, good point. Forgot that thing had gone sub-orbital.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Lmao at people in the thread complaining about Star Wars

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

It wouldn’t be the Internet without hate posts over one of the single greatest moments in Star Wars history. Maybe because I’m from the OT generation, but if you didn’t enjoy that then you can’t enjoy anything. I was on the edge of my seat from the point the x-wing showed up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it just me or does the writing suck?

It's not just you, it's written like a video game. I still enjoy this show, don't get me wrong! But the writing is campy as gently caress and feels out of place for a TV show because the pacing feels like a video game. This almost feels intentional.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

RC Cola posted:

Lmao at people in the thread complaining about Star Wars

This is the Way

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am surprised I am not seeing this anywhere on social media, but the original actor who played Boba Fett in the Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi (Jeremy Bulloch), passed away yesterday from complications with Parkinson's disease.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

It's not just you, it's written like a video game. I still enjoy this show, don't get me wrong! But the writing is campy as gently caress and feels out of place for a TV show because the pacing feels like a video game. This almost feels intentional.

Actually even though I like the writing, the Mayfield episode, which I thought was amazing, would perfectly translate into a video game level, with minimal changes needed.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Crusader posted:

pretty much my thoughts on the episode

growing up with original trilogy - luke gently caress yeah
growing up with prequel trilogy - luke gently caress no

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you all could stop being pricks and snarky assholes abiut people airing criticisms of the show that would be greaaaat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I enjoyed this episode. I’m excited to see where this show goes next rather than being worried about it. I would kind of like to know whether Book of Boba Fett is its own thing or season 3 of this show.

Maybe I’m just credible but I think they did a great job with CG Luke. It’s a bit uncanny but the whole sequence with him is uncanny from start to finish. A magic man walks into a spaceship and serenely smashes 100 robots with a laser beam and announces himself and walks out with a baby. I didn’t have a huge problem with it in Rise of Skywalker either tbh. The technology may not be much better than in Rogue One but it’s much more judiciously used.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thrawn Trilogy is going to be their Infinity War

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The DT droid bay was never part of the original design for the cruiser, I imagine. It was probably just some random cargo bay that happened to have an external door that they refitted to hold the dark troopers.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I said come in! posted:

I am surprised I am not seeing this anywhere on social media, but the original actor who played Boba Fett in the Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi (Jeremy Bulloch), passed away yesterday from complications with Parkinson's disease.

I've seen a bunch of stuff?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

I've seen a bunch of stuff?

I am clearly not on social media enough (this is a good thing though right?)! This somehow passed me by until just now.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Spoilers: Last ep of the show is going to be Din, captured by Imperials, tortured nearly to death, and just as he's about to be executed, Grogu shows up and fucks everyone up.

that would be awesome. i really hope that happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
drat I hate star wars. I can't believe this star wars show had other star wars in it