Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There actually is an in-game codex/"archive" that lists all the weapons and their stats/passives, but annoyingly enough, it only shows details for ones you've already obtained. So yup, you have to look them up online in wikis or whatever.

I see. I have to admit, I find it literally impossible to get excited for the weapon banner when I have no idea what any of them do and can't be bothered to look it up. At least the character banner lets you try them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Shoutout to No Wave for the tip about hiding in the doorway on Noblesse Oblige. It works on AR40 as well, with the two cryo mages teleporting over and the fire guy staying put. It's still hot bullshit due to the fire mage's ball of death still following, but it's a hell of a lot easier to ult and burst down two frost mages without the extra bullshit of constant fire. Turned it from a eat-all-the-consumables fight into a quick roll.

Bussamove posted:

How do Chong and Benny’s fields interact anyway? Does one override the other, will they stack on top of each other? My inability yo draw cryo characters means I don’t get to play around with that sort of thing.

I have no idea of C2 Chongus CDR works in combination with Benny's CDR, but given he's already at 50% cooldown you're smashing out fire pretty drat fast. Swipe a few times with autoattacks to reapply cryo and bash them again for more damage. Repeat for a few cycles until someone's ult comes off cooldown. gently caress I want a Bennet so bad.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

these dumbass questions about the weekly boss fights are just confusing and seemingly wrong or not localized.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I got a new daily quest of talking to Draff about his missing pigeons and then find hillichurls have been catching and eating them.

Amazing 10/10, would make my daily quest just that and nothing else if I could.

edit: Also Zhongli finally paid off for me as his shield ability just makes the game go 'Nah, fam' when you get hit during those delivery quests. I saw him hit by electro arrows and I didn't get failed immediately by being element affected. Just level 20 at AR 44 or something. I was only using him for the shield and because he's tall so a better person for strolling around.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 19, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/7524

Buffs for Zhong and Geo in general. Lets go!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ning with geo resonance is going to be insane if that comes into effect

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Ning with geo resonance is going to be insane if that comes into effect
Yep, this is a bigger buff to her than this+tweaks are to ZL. I didn't see anything about energy generation from his E but maybe it will get a look.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Still not going to roll for Zhongli but yeah I can't wait for Ningguang to become even sicker.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lol was not expecting Zhongli buffs to turn into Ningguang buffs. let's loving gooooooooooo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yep, this is a bigger buff to her than this+tweaks are to ZL. I didn't see anything about energy generation from his E but maybe it will get a look.

Geo shields getting physical res is pretty big for him (and Noelle) though

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol was not expecting Zhongli buffs to turn into Ningguang buffs. let's loving gooooooooooo

The house always wins, baby :cheers:

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
If you run ZL with Ning he should have no trouble with energy generation, especially if Ning is at least c2.

I hope we find out who are the 4* in the next banner before the current one ends because right now I'm seriously considering rolling for ZL. My only shield source right now is a C0 Noelle.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Those buffs look pretty insane, jesus

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have my guarenteed SSR pity lined up and I was going to save it for Ayaka or somebody but yeah wow if those buffs make Zhongli good and Ningguang even better I may go for him.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I wonder how much of a profit spike this will generate on these last few days of Vago Mundo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Andrast posted:

Geo shields getting physical res is pretty big for him (and Noelle) though

I don't know if specifically buffing the shields of those two fixes everything, unless it's just shields in general. That still doesn't fix much, but at least provides some groundwork for balancing stuff out. Buffing ZL is cool I guess but anyone who even casually glanced at reddit knew that level of pitchfork-raising would not go unnoticed.

Doesn't make me any happier when I bone my pity by somehow pulling Albedo, though.

Edit: Actually, the wording is extremely weird on that. Is it just Geo shields (which everyone generates) or something specific to Noelle/ZL? If it's in general, why bother mentioned those two specifically?

Mailer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 19, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its geo element shields, so shields generated by geo character skills or I'm assuming smacking a geo element mob.

The extra scaling on his attacks, the change to absorption on his shield, the extra resistance to interrupts combined with the geo element resonance are going to put him in a much better place as a front line bruiser. Ning is still going to be the premier geo damage dealer though but I can see people doing zhong/noelle to be unkillable on none time gated things.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mailer posted:

Edit: Actually, the wording is extremely weird on that. Is it just Geo shields (which everyone generates) or something specific to Noelle/ZL? If it's in general, why bother mentioned those two specifically?
only Noelle and ZL can independently generate geo shields

Crystallize reactions are shields of their element (purple = elec, etc)

the only way to get a geo-aspected shield without Zhong or Noelle's E is those sonic the hedgehog looking geo monster things that drop them when you hit them with geo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think the ZL buffs change a whole lot. It makes his normal attacks a little better from the toilet they were in but idk if that means you want him doing them late game. The hold E stele thing is whatever, the stele sucks and now you can't opt out of resonating geo onto stuff but I guess it's still an improvement. 50% more shield is obviously just good though.

The thing that is meaningful is the 2 geo resonance change. I don't really like this direction because it only buffs geo in the scenario that you have two geo on a team. But it certainly makes those teams better.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
oh neat now I'll actually have a reason to level my Zhongli, in like 3 months lol

he's been fun for my overworld team since he's so tall and those pillars are nifty for climbing. adding in two anemo characters and I'm zipping around super fast

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
As someone who's core team is Noelle + Ningguang, that geo resonance buff has me "rock hard".

Also I can't tell if it was already like this before and they just changed the wording, but the geo resonance was changed from "+15% attack DMG" to "+15% DMG". As is, I'm aware that it increases both normal and charged attacks, but I don't know if it also increases the damage of skills et al. This would further cement it as best resonance, since it was already basically tied with double pyro.

Shame that we likely won't see 1.3 until February or March.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, I feel like there is something wrong with format of the game that I cannot place my finger on. All the grinding and open world make it seem like an MMORPG, but it isn't and it makes me question the point of grinding. You need to grind for character exp, weapon exp, money, talent books, ascension materials for weapons, ascension materials for characters, and probably other stuff I forgot. However, there is nothing to actually grind FOR. It is essentially single player, so you are not competing with anyone when it comes to gear, and there is no end game at all. There is nothing in Genshin Impact except for the Spiral Abyss, and it is the same boring domain fight arena as every other grinding thing in the game and it does not have meaningful rewards to actually make you care about getting to the end of it. I played Everquest in 2000 and have no problem with grinding, but there was at least a purpose for it there. You grind to get better stuff to do harder content, and the harder content is actually in the game and you just need to get to it. If there were large mobs wandering the world that you needed end game gear to deal with like Xenoblade Chronicles or actual end game dungeons to explore like real MMOs it might feel more purposeful to grind and have something to do where you actually need better gear. It feels like using resin and doing dailies is for some feeling of FOMO where you might need resources in the future, rather than because it has any sort of purpose right now. The only gacha game I have ever played besides this was FFRK a while ago, but it did not have the same tedious feel toward farming because it did not really feel like a real game that you had to pay attention to to get your farming done. Maybe I am just burnt out, but it feels bad when there is nothing to do in a big game world that does not require resin.

I feel like it is some weird middle ground of BotW and a MMORPG, but no finished story to work towards like BotW and no real reason to play because you cannot gain anything without using resin which automatically time gates your content artificially. Leveling was slow in Everquest, but at least it was a function of you playing the game and you had some control over how fast you progress.

I feel all this. It's burnout. Put the game down until Cool Cool Mountain is out.

No idea how people can do daily artifact or gem routes and not burn out. Can't even do the daily commissions anymore and keep resin down daily anymore at this point.

Pulling new characters is the biggest incentive, but I just don't see it. It takes too many resources to get a new character up to speed, and many of them don't seem to exist in the actual story yet, if ever.
Am I just missing something to trigger story quests for Bennet, Sucrose, Beidou, Noelle, or, Diona? Why implement characters before putting them in the game?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo, the zhongli whining bought us a basically unconditional 20% dps buff to ning

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Heran Bago posted:

I feel all this. It's burnout. Put the game down until Cool Cool Mountain is out.

No idea how people can do daily artifact or gem routes and not burn out. Can't even do the daily commissions anymore and keep resin down daily anymore at this point.

Pulling new characters is the biggest incentive, but I just don't see it. It takes too many resources to get a new character up to speed, and many of them don't seem to exist in the actual story yet, if ever.
Am I just missing something to trigger story quests for Bennet, Sucrose, Beidou, Noelle, or, Diona? Why implement characters before putting them in the game?
Do you think the game would be better with only six non-starter four stars in the game?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Because being able to pull new characters with different mechanics every couple of weeks or so is integral to this games business model.

Absolutely agree with you about burnout though. Don’t treat this game like an MMO, absolutely be prepared to put it down for a couple of months after you’ve done all the stuff you want and wait for interesting new content to be added. The limited banners are an illusion, I guarantee they will add in new ways to quickly level old characters and obtain old event banner characters once sales figures begin to dip to entice old players back.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Reiterpallasch posted:

holy poo poo, the zhongli whining bought us a basically unconditional 20% dps buff to ning

I've been sitting on a L50 Ning C5 for a month and farming geo hypo ascension mats since I pulled geo daddy, this is pretty fuckin stellar news

quote:

burnout

definitely feel this. I've already missed at least one day of dailies, some resin here and there, two gliding courses, didn't even touch food deliveries after the first one. looking forward to cool cool mountain tho

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 19, 2020

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I plugged the proposed buff numbers on Zhongli into a spreadsheet I already had. Geo Resonance is assumed but not the resist shred. I'll spare a tl;dr numbers spam and just say it seems quite strong, although for normal builds it isn't going to turn him into a DPS god (JWS builds with 100k meteors and R5 Crescent Pike builds on the other hand...).

It also appears to actually make HP scaling viable as an alternative to ATK at reasonable stats for his E (ATK is still better for his Q, since that isn't changing); basically he can do a bit more DPS with his Geo ticks using a full HP build over a reasonably normal ATK build, he has a much stronger shield and no longer gives up a cooldown to apply it, and his melee damage in a full HP build effectively doubles from "utter garbage" to "still not great" (the HP scaling helps his melee in an ATK build just not as much).

It turns HP% into a completely legitimate substat for a carry build Zhongli, which will make him a lot easier to gear. It's not preferable to Crit stats or ATK%, but it is at least in the running with Energy Recharge as the fourth stat you'd want. You won't hate it at all when you get it, and that's mathematically pretty amazing for viable artifact picks for him. I would not throw away Petra, Gladiator, or Bloodstained pieces if they're almost good/perfect but for HP% at least.

Mailer posted:

I have no idea of C2 Chongus CDR works in combination with Benny's CDR, but given he's already at 50% cooldown you're smashing out fire pretty drat fast. Swipe a few times with autoattacks to reapply cryo and bash them again for more damage. Repeat for a few cycles until someone's ult comes off cooldown. gently caress I want a Bennet so bad.
It makes Bennett's cooldown like 1.8s or something, it's not huge. CDR from different effects isn't additive to prevent 0s Bennett and Jean E CDs.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Let's see some 3* starter chars. Play as Draff, or that Fatui guy in the church always asking for favours.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

No Wave posted:

I don't think the ZL buffs change a whole lot. It makes his normal attacks a little better from the toilet they were in but idk if that means you want him doing them late game. The hold E stele thing is whatever, the stele sucks and now you can't opt out of resonating geo onto stuff but I guess it's still an improvement. 50% more shield is obviously just good though.

The thing that is meaningful is the 2 geo resonance change. I don't really like this direction because it only buffs geo in the scenario that you have two geo on a team. But it certainly makes those teams better.

https://youtu.be/EuhnTG_k9aE

ZL as-is is not that far behind Keqing when built right -- free hp based damage is going to close that gap

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Resin is still a major point of discussion in the heavily opinionated community. Their little Paimon surveys still occasionally ask questions with your issues with the game, using insufficient resin as one of the preset options.

Unless they plan to cater to whales exclusively, they really need to change this model. I might actually give a hoot about Zhongli or Ganyu if I knew I could grind out exp and artifacts for them in a timely fashion. Even adding something as simple as making the daily commission rewards include 1 fragile resin per day would go a long way towards improving resin drought. It often takes upwards of 500 resin just to find ONE artifact with optimal stat rolls, and even then you're at the mercy of where those level up bonus rolls go to. Even if resin was unlimited, it would take one player weeks to get perfect rolls for a single team.

At this stage, they need to start figuring out how to provide an end game for players who just enjoy making big numbers get bigger. The questline is fun and has enough of a hook to keep people excited for updates, but without some kind of actual multiplayer mode with goals and ways to show off your characters its easy to lose sight of what you want to do between patches. Something I really wish they would implement for co-op domains is a statistic breakdown after completion showing Damag dealt, heals provided, how much damage was blocked by shields, how much energy was gained, etc. Anything to let you start conversation when you see a Mona in your game dishing out higher DPS than your Diluc, or seeing how Bennet ended up healing more than Barbara. The desire for putting your work to some kind of measurement beyond Abyss is going to get stronger the longer the game goes on.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

The Crusher posted:

Something I really wish they would implement for co-op domains is a statistic breakdown after completion showing damage dealt, heals provided, how much damage was blocked by shields, how much energy was gained, etc. Anything to let you start conversation when you see a Mona in your game dishing out higher DPS than your Diluc, or seeing how Bennet ended up healing more than Barbara. The desire for putting your work to some kind of measurement beyond Abyss is going to get stronger the longer the game goes on.

this would be very, very appreciated - they had the bones of something like this with the alchemy event in October, it wouldn't be hard to implement at all. I have the numbers go up brainworms, but Abyss doesn't interest me at all because timed deeps checks aren't a meaningful or engaging form of difficulty to me

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the new magic crystal and resin recipe is perfect for anyone in semi-burnout mode who still wants to use resin and get some AR without actually playing, the forge time on them is super quick

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah if you're planning on doing domains or leyline at all just make some crystallized resin. Not only does it stick around if you decide to quit for the day, but the double rewards feels a lot better even if the actual overall resin cost is unchanged. It makes me think they really just need to raise the return per resin to make it satisfying rather than just give you more of it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I like this solution for Geo element, it shores up one of Geo's biggest weaknesses (no Geo resist shred) while also reinforcing Geo's identity (element agnostic - build around this element, not reactions!)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

zgrowler2 posted:

this would be very, very appreciated - they had the bones of something like this with the alchemy event in October, it wouldn't be hard to implement at all. I have the numbers go up brainworms, but Abyss doesn't interest me at all because timed deeps checks aren't a meaningful or engaging form of difficulty to me

I wonder if they shied away from it because it also introduces metrics for toxic behavior - kicking people for low performance, etc

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

No Wave posted:

I gotta say, you're entirely wrong on this. The addition of his HP scaling is going to matter quite a bit depending on weapon type. Especially if you factor in an artifact for HP on top of his ascension HP bonus.

In addition to that, he's gotten his hold-e causing geo explosions back. If it's comparable to the current second geo attack and works with petrify then he's going to have some beastly burst DPS capability in the form of dropping an orbit to surface kinetic strike on enemies then blowing them up all over again. And that assumes the steles don't produce some sort of effect, which it seems it might from how it's worded?

The changes are an all around good thing from what i've seen from how Zhongli plays. It also seems to open up more builds, playstyles, and artifact loadouts for him while adding in new ways to make him actually matter (If Geo energy includes constructs then Albedo just shot up a few notches in usefulness. And any character that applies the geo status to characters regularly and keeps it on them is going to be hilarious when paired with him. Just rocksplosions everywhere.) in future content when paired with other characters.

I can't see anything to complain about with these changes so far. They're putting him on par with other limited time 5 stars while keeping a potential support role. He's a bruiser that can tank hits for the team while laying out appreciable damage. Which is what he was pitched as to folks.

I am curious about how Dominus Lapidis is going to work. Geo shields are now getting a universal bonus to elemental defense and also physical. But is Jade Shield's 250% for geo absorption going to apply on top of that? Or is it a separate thing? Never mind, took a closer look at it and it looks like it works like other geo shields, excepts scales off of his HP for the purposes of how much HP it gets. That's going to make him awfully useful to teams as a tank in both SP and co-op.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 19, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
They said Genshin will never have PVP or leaderboards, basically because they don't want it to become unfriendly to F2P players. The statistics thing isn't that, exactly, but it would still lead to weird and unhealthy competition (one that big spenders would invariably win, causing feelbads), and they don't want that.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 19, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

Do you think the game would be better with only six non-starter four stars in the game?

Of course not. I think the game and players would be better served by fleshing out those characters or making them more a part of the world. The amount of characters gives casual players different gameplay experiences in a nice way.

In the beginning the protagonist enters an office with Jean, Lisa etc setting the expectation that party characters exist in the world and have a stake in the plot.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Because being able to pull new characters with different mechanics every couple of weeks or so is integral to this games business model.
Yeah this is obviously what's up. They know if they put a young catgirl in, some people will throw money at the screen until they get it. For some players it is more about the way the character looks or cookie-cutter character archetype than their place in the world or story. That's ok.

If Mihoyo put some of that focus towards fleshing out characters, I would enjoy it and possibly put more money into the game, but that pales in comparison to the money another player would put in if they added more catgirls. Also it's game development so they can't just shift resources or throw money/staff at something to get more content faster. I don't have to like the system but it makes economic sense.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
aside from economic sense it just makes regular sense, story content is one-and-done while you're going to get way more miles out of the playable characters themselves. at the rate people can consume story quests vs. time spent getting a new unit leveled, geared, etc., there is simply no way for the former to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Heran Bago posted:

Of course not. I think the game and players would be better served by fleshing out those characters or making them more a part of the world. The amount of characters gives casual players different gameplay experiences in a nice way.

In the beginning the protagonist enters an office with Jean, Lisa etc setting the expectation that party characters exist in the world and have a stake in the plot.

Yeah this is obviously what's up. They know if they put a young catgirl in, some people will throw money at the screen until they get it. For some players it is more about the way the character looks or cookie-cutter character archetype than their place in the world or story. That's ok.

If Mihoyo put some of that focus towards fleshing out characters, I would enjoy it and possibly put more money into the game, but that pales in comparison to the money another player would put in if they added more catgirls. Also it's game development so they can't just shift resources or throw money/staff at something to get more content faster. I don't have to like the system but it makes economic sense.

To be fair, Honkai Impact does what you suggest. Their latest character got two entire events about her. She even got a miniature visual novel with cinematics, QTE's, and the like released for a limited time in the form of an event. They've also devoted entire arcs dedicated to other playable characters and their development. In fact it appears that just about every character released has some relevance to the story in some way.

This seems to extend to some of the other content too. There's an upcoming Evangelion crossover that appears to be tied into the story in some way. Apparently the characters from it are even going to be playable characters too. Screenshots were shown off of a massive giant robot versus anime monster fight in some city as well. Which is apparently pretty unique to the gameplay. So they definitely have the capability to do what you're saying. :shrug:

Maybe they'll focus on stuff like fleshing out existing characters more down the line? Keep in mind that the character quests have chapter 1 next to them. Which implies that the character content we've received so far is only an intro.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 19, 2020