Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

radlum posted:

Did Chip have an exclusive contract with Marvel?

Read Stillwater. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Zdarsky had an exclusive contract signed in early 2018 with Marvel. It was probably a three year contract.

Most of the Marvel/DC Exclusive contracts are worded to effectively mean "you promise to produce X number of issues a year for us and promise you won't work for The Other Guys", which generally leaves you open to do creator-owned books, which Zdarsky has been doing throughout the past three years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Do you mean the whole entire run? If so, then no not really. Issue #8 and #18 were the main Cheetah origin issues.

Rucka's run does leave a lot of unresolved plotlines, unfortunately. They eventually do get resolved...waaaaay later, by other writers...but yeah.

He did follow up on the Cheetah thing in his contribution to one of the anniversary issues, he did a story where Diana tried to pay Circe to reverse the spell turning Minerva into the Cheetah. It was actually quite bittersweet.

Wilson wrapped up the stuff with Themiscyra being locked out of our dimension or whatever, and the stuff with Ares being imprisoned and Cale's daughter.

Speaking of, more of my stream of consciousness thoughts about the literal hundred-plus issues of that book I've read in the last month or so.

Steve Orlando: Orlando has that Dan Slott element of desperately trying to show off how much obscure WW and DC lore he remembers. So we get stuff like the Bana-Mighdall being prominent for the first time in like a decade (mostly because if they were around, it makes Diana's angst about being away from home a little hollow when there's a bunch of Amazons in the Middle East), a new Aztek of all things, a revamped Paula von Gunther because that was a character we really needed back and a bunch of other obscure little callbacks.
To be fair, most of it worked fairly well, other than the von Gunther stuff relying on the reader taking a lot on faith about how Lex Luthor's magic McGuffin would impact the character emotionally. I also appreciated the attempt to move Etta Candy out of the military but still keep her in some kind of globetrotting position that would let her hang out with Diana. Plus trying to ground the character in Boston was also a nice attempt. It's also clearly the run that's got the most influence going forward, seeing as it's where the South American Amazon tribe was introduced, leading into the new Wonder Girl we're getting.

Mariko Tamaki: I've loved Tamaki's work over at Marvel, and should really get around to reading Laura Dean, but I'm a little disappointed so far with this run. It's pretty blatantly aiming to tie things into the new movie with Max Lord and his daughter being the main villains and as such a lot of themes around fantasy and delusion and self-deception, but I've always found Lord a little one-note as a villain because he's just a smidge too low-key to really be enjoyable as a transgressive sociopath, but too amoral to enjoy as an anti-hero. And Emma feels like we'd have benefited from getting to know more before the big turn. She was just Diana's shy neighbour with a rabbit and then BOOM, villain reveal.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3dyqZhnL8/
Justice League will not play to Bendis' strengths at all, but I guess Hippolyta and Black Adam are interesting additions, and I don't think Green Arrow and Black Canary have been on any incarnation of the JL together in many years, so that's something

seemingly no Flash or Green Lantern to start with, which is curious

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Justice League will not play to Bendis' strengths at all

Neither did Superman but it didn't stop him there! :v:

...sorry, I'm still just nursing that grudge.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It probably is Adam, but is there anything there that makes that definite, and not Billy?

Also, am I the only one who thinks Naomi was hobbled from day one by just calling the book Naomi? I didn't even realise she had powers and assumed it was a book about a regular girl in the DCU until I saw her turn up in other titles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

Justice League will not play to Bendis' strengths at all, but I guess Hippolyta and Black Adam are interesting additions, and I don't think Green Arrow and Black Canary have been on any incarnation of the JL together in many years, so that's something

seemingly no Flash or Green Lantern to start with, which is curious

It's weird, because on the one hand Bendis is bad at team books, but on the other, like 90% of the reason Bendis is such a well known name is because of his New Avengers book. But while Justice League probably needs a revamp, it doesn't have the problem Avengers had when Bendis took over. Namely, the two most popular DC Characters are already in Justice League.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I don't mind Bendis doing Justice League but I really really really wish he would do something more low key. Give him a Vigilante reboot to do or something grimy like that.

Edit: also Firestorm. Let him do a Firestorm comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That book is going to suck

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

I don't mind Bendis doing Justice League but I really really really wish he would do something more low key. Give him a Vigilante reboot to do or something grimy like that.

Edit: also Firestorm. Let him do a Firestorm comic.

I genuinely think he has no interest in doing the low power street stuff, given how every time he wrote Batman in his Superman stuff, it felt like he was making fun of the character. Despite not being great at it, he's dead set on doing these huge multiversal epics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gaz-L posted:

Mariko Tamaki: I've loved Tamaki's work over at Marvel, and should really get around to reading Laura Dean, but I'm a little disappointed so far with this run. It's pretty blatantly aiming to tie things into the new movie with Max Lord and his daughter being the main villains and as such a lot of themes around fantasy and delusion and self-deception, but I've always found Lord a little one-note as a villain because he's just a smidge too low-key to really be enjoyable as a transgressive sociopath, but too amoral to enjoy as an anti-hero. And Emma feels like we'd have benefited from getting to know more before the big turn. She was just Diana's shy neighbour with a rabbit and then BOOM, villain reveal.
The Liar Liar thing makes me zone out so hard it's like chloroform. At this point, the rabbit had honestly better turn out to be Dr. Psycho or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It feels like Tamaki maybe had a notion for a new villain and then got told "you're gettin' 12 issues kid, oh, and make sure the guy from the movie is in every one". It's especially odd with how disconnected it is from the previous run, including Etta all of a sudden being back in the military.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

A small part of me is glad he's doing it with an unusual/unique lineup. I know that the League can have all kinds of members and does, but if they had literally given him the Big Seven I would have felt a lot crappier when he eventually disappointed me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The woman above Green Arrow I assume is Black Canary, but it really looks like she has a bat symbol on her chest. Who's the woman opposite Wonder Woman?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

The woman above Green Arrow I assume is Black Canary, but it really looks like she has a bat symbol on her chest. Who's the woman opposite Wonder Woman?

Bendis' character Naomi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Double Post for B-B-Bonus Round:

Wonder Woman Earth One v2 by Grant Morrison and Yannick Paquette: Honestly, Morrison and Paquette's names tell you like 75% of whether you'll like what's here. The latter's art is pretty much as good and as questionably sexualised as ever, but outside of that latter issue, which honestly seems to be part of the goal of Morrison's script, is pretty drat gorgeous within the photo-real style it's aiming for.
Now Morrison... Look, I'll be frank and say they've never really been my cup of tea. I tend to think they zero in on one or two particular themes or ideas for a big property like this and if you don't agree with those being core, then the whole thing falls apart, plus there's the usual hipster weirdness and the occasional feeling that their brain is moving too fast for their keyboard and you feel like you missed an issue's worth of pages, but not all at once, like you're only reading the even numbered pages and odd ones got torn out. In the first dozen pages we have Amazon science being powered by orgone energy, multiple cases of their weapons literally subduing Nazis via orgasm, and Paula von Gunther wanting to become a young Diana's slave, and yes, with the BDSM implications.
So yeah, Morrison basically saw the kink elements of Marston's work and has decided to put that up front to the exclusion of any nuance or more recent examination. On top of that, making Dr Psycho into a lovely PUA/MRA type makes a lot of sense. What doesn't is having him be RIGHT about how women will respond to his tactics, having basically no-one, especially not Diana, refute his surface level critiques of feminism, and hoping that Etta and the Holiday Girls kicking him in the nuts is a good enough substitute for not having any actual counterpoints to the degree that I'm not sure Morrison disagrees with him.
Oh, and Max Lord is standing in for (or maybe is an avatar of ) Ares, because sure why not.

Look, the idea of Wonder Woman, shortly after coming to Man's/Patriarch's World, falling for a guy and it being an abusive relationship... It's not the place I'd take things, but there's something possibly valuable there, showing that even a strong woman can fall into that kind of situation and showing how a support structure of good friends and such can be vital to recognising it and getting out. But... like... Morrison doesn't even really linger on that element. By the time Psycho's going full controlling creep, he shifts into supervillain mode in the same scene so...

Honestly, the one bit of this I think is the most generally successful is the general set-up with WW as ambassador (*cough*Ruckashouldbedoingthese*cough*) and the ONE LINE where Morrison at least functionally has Diana say that trans women are women, which is nice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

questionably sexualised

is basically Wonder Woman's origin story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Also, am I the only one who thinks Naomi was hobbled from day one by just calling the book Naomi? I didn't even realise she had powers and assumed it was a book about a regular girl in the DCU until I saw her turn up in other titles.

Yes and no. Like, the story's about Naomi being a regular girl that finds out she's not regular, so I don't think calling the book Naomi was a bad move. I do think it was a bad choice to have her not decide on a superhero name and I also think it was a bad move to not give her a solo book like immediately. I mean, another mini was teased at the end of the initial one, and I know COVID put a big fat delay on all comics coming out, but well... still waiting... (plus it's gonna be called Naomi 2? Come on, guys.)

Like, the obvious comparison to Naomi's introduction is Ms. Marvel; in Kamala's story we are introduced to her world and her powers and how she fits into all of it with said powers, also it takes a while before she gets involved in a whole bunch of team-ups (like, not that there's not team-ups, I mean before she joins the Avengers and Champions, etc). After 5 issues, we're done with Naomi's whole life/friends/town and now the only places she's been seen are in other books like a cameo in Superman or on Young Justice (and now I guess she's gonna be on the Justice League), but she needs to feel like a real character that exists outside of team books. She's apparently gonna get an Arrowverse TV show soon and I think it's wild that the writers on that are gonna end up fleshing out her character more than Bendis or any actual comic is.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 17, 2020

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'd really like a DCUO like event. Massive super-empowering catastrophe and now both heroes and villains have to deal with there being thousands more super-people to deal with on all points of the morality chart, and what to do with that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

I'd really like a DCUO like event. Massive super-empowering catastrophe and now both heroes and villains have to deal with there being thousands more super-people to deal with on all points of the morality chart, and what to do with that.

Invasion! had this with the gene bomb in the 80s, Bloodlines had this in the 90s, 52 had the exo-gene designed by Lex Luthor in the 00s.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gaz-L posted:

I genuinely think he has no interest in doing the low power street stuff, given how every time he wrote Batman in his Superman stuff, it felt like he was making fun of the character. Despite not being great at it, he's dead set on doing these huge multiversal epics.

How long until he features time traveling in Justice League? Ugh.

E:

Mr Hootington posted:

Invasion! had this with the gene bomb in the 80s, Bloodlines had this in the 90s, 52 had the exo-gene designed by Lex Luthor in the 00s.

Don't forget super powers now come from a "META" gene from being exposed to a magical Metal! Anything can be an excuse for more random powered people.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 17, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think they should take Adam's Hood and Cape off to make him look different from Billy again. I liked that look better.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

New Avengers slaps, but only because Bendis got to put all of his favourite characters in it and turn it into a superhero thriller. I don't think they'll let him do either of those two things for Justice League, which doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Starting Christmas Eve DC and Kodansha are collaborating on a manga called Batman: Justice Buster

The creative team is the same duo behind the recent Ultraman manga, which I like quite a bit, so I'm pretty into this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1339579671923441666

Guess I'm reading Nightwing for a while.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Starting Christmas Eve DC and Kodansha are collaborating on a manga called Batman: Justice Buster

The creative team is the same duo behind the recent Ultraman manga, which I like quite a bit, so I'm pretty into this.

How........how does he turn his head? Are we creeping back to Burton Batman tank movements?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jiro posted:

How........how does he turn his head? Are we creeping back to Burton Batman tank movements?

It's a manga it doesn't matter

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

It's a manga it doesn't matter

WHAT????

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WW Binge thoughts part 3!

Rucka (pre-New 52 run): There's a reason this has kind of been the gold standard for Wonder Woman runs since about the point it was published. It nailed down a way to ground the character in the modern world while still keeping the connection to the mythological. Honestly the myth that there's no 'Dark Knight Returns' or 'Hush' for Wonder Woman- no one self-contained story you can hand to a fan to get them in the door- is completely destroyed by The Hiketeia. It has Greek myth, but the implementation is grounded in a contemporary setting, it demonstrates the tension between Diana's adherence to her own traditions and morality, versus the wider world's and it has a big ol' Batman cameo to make it go down easier for the fussy baby that doesn't wanna read no girl comic.

The run proper sets a perfect tone by having the lead be basically absent for all the first issue, allowing you to get situated in the setting of the Amazon embassy. You get an appealing supporting cast, a way to have your hero interacting with people out of costume and add that soap opera-y drama that doesn't require punching to resolve and an engine to introduce bigger issues to the story. Same with Diana's book launch. It feels a bit like Babby's First Discourse when viewed in 2020, but it engages with the character's core concept and updates it to face contemporary pushback.

Another element that, along with elements of Simone's run, makes me absolutely baffled at how Azzarello got so much praise for an 'original' take on the property, Rucka's take on the Greek myth stuff is fantastic. The more modernised looks and personas he and the various artists created for the Greek (and beyond) pantheon nails the balance between keeping them true to the myths, and adhering to the comic's liberties, as well as again bringing things up to date. The battle with Medusa and the lead up to it is absolutely nailbiting, the refreshing notion that the gods that have domains more plugged into modern life are becoming more powerful (Athena and Ares because of expanding knowledge and conflict, Aprodite and Eros because of expanding acceptance of sexual/romantic diverstity) while ones who can't grow and adapt are becoming obsolete.

It's pretty clearly derailed by Infinite Crisis, seeing as the slow burnining political tension between the Amazons and the US is just forgotten in the wake of the OMAC stuff, and even Rucka's bloody minded attempt to actually deal with the Max Lord thing is hosed over and left unresolved because he got kicked off the title and we had to have a lovely event involving Amazons being straw misandrists

Simone: Coming back to the Azzarello point: Simone literally has an arc where she makes fun of the ideas that Azzarello did seriously. The idea of Wonder Woman as the daughter of Zeus, the shift to making everything about the men in the story, the Amazons being man hating barbarians... all of it is there as a JOKE. Jesus Christ this makes me think Azzarello is either so ignorant he didn't even read the run preceding him, or he's such a hack he did read it, and though (apparently some successfully, to be fair) that it was a good idea.

That aside, this has a lot of Simone's hallmarks and has the sort of opposite end problem of Rucka's run, where his landing got wobbly because of having to tie-in to stuff, Simone inherited a wobbly premise and has to spend a few issues trying to make it work. The bizarre 'Diana Prince, Agent of Legally Distinct From SHIELD' set up feels incredibly forced and is more or less abandoned after only showing up in about 3 issues, and the return of the Greek gods from... I guess stuff that happened in Infinite Crisis? is a bit goofy. Tom Tresser is an interesting attempt to have a Steve Trevor without getting rid of the at-the-time older Steve married to Etta. And Simone gets about as close as anyone until Wilson at suggesting Diana is at least somewhat queer.

Other than some shaky stuff that feels slightly mandated by editorial about how Diana 'doesn't understand mortals', and some hokey jokes (including a really odd 'mother-in-laws really want grandkids' gag with Hippolyta), the stuff with the Amazon Royal Guard is a pretty interesting take and a good way to show that you don't have to completely invalidate the entire Paradise Island premise to have conflict there. Even the Man-azons and Achilles work surprisingly well, despite the faint whiff of #NotAllMen about it. And Achilles works as an interesting attempt to do a male spin-off character to Wonder Woman without overshadowing her the way some other attempts (*cough*Jason*cough*) have done. He's important, he has interesting story beats, but in the end, it's still her actions that are the key to saving the day.

I do have most of the Perez run available (I've read a bunch of it years ago and loved it, but never finished), the Messner-Loebs/Deodato run and the Byrne run, but I'm gonna take a break and maybe look at some PAD Supergirl or finally read the Knightfall/quest/the third one saga to cleanse the pallete.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gaz-L posted:

That aside, this has a lot of Simone's hallmarks and has the sort of opposite end problem of Rucka's run, where his landing got wobbly because of having to tie-in to stuff, Simone inherited a wobbly premise and has to spend a few issues trying to make it work. The bizarre 'Diana Prince, Agent of Legally Distinct From SHIELD' set up feels incredibly forced and is more or less abandoned after only showing up in about 3 issues, and the return of the Greek gods from... I guess stuff that happened in Infinite Crisis? is a bit goofy. Tom Tresser is an interesting attempt to have a Steve Trevor without getting rid of the at-the-time older Steve married to Etta. And Simone gets about as close as anyone until Wilson at suggesting Diana is at least somewhat queer.
The gods stuff was, unfortunately, a follow up to Countdown to Final Crisis :sweatdrop: and the whole thing where the New Gods had captured the Olympians who eventually got found and freed by, uh, I think Harley Quinn and Mary Marvel?

In regards to the last part, do you mean Rucka instead of Wilson? In Rebirth Diana outright tells Steve that fellow Amazon Kala was an ex-lover.

Unfortunately we never see Kala again, which is unfortunate, unfortunately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

The gods stuff was, unfortunately, a follow up to Countdown to Final Crisis :sweatdrop: and the whole thing where the New Gods had captured the Olympians who eventually got found and freed by, uh, I think Harley Quinn and Mary Marvel?

In regards to the last part, do you mean Rucka instead of Wilson? In Rebirth Diana outright tells Steve that fellow Amazon Kala was an ex-lover.

Unfortunately we never see Kala again, which is unfortunate, unfortunately.

Oh, I forgot about that apparently, I was thinking about the very limp flirting Diana did with Atlantiades in Wilson's stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

1976 batman comic about illegal immigrants.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

1976 batman comic about illegal immigrants.
did you mean to type that into a search engine or...?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So what's the deal with Grifter? I read like two issues of his New 52 comic, and it was just "They Live". Is it one of those things where he had more of a prominent role in Wildstorm, and putting him in a more crowded setting like the DCU makes him stand out less, because he's got to be written really well to stand out in a crowded roster in that context?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jim Lee really liked drawing Gambit and Bishop so he combined them.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/jesswchen/status/1340194438736355331

How long has Dick used escrima sticks and how did nobody think about this before?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

How long has Dick used escrima sticks and how did nobody think about this before?

:psyboom: It really has been in front of us for so long

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nobody gonna comment on the random puppy?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Adnor posted:

HUGE brain stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Siegkrow posted:

Nobody gonna comment on the random puppy?

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1340028854585323520?s=19