Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Sydin posted:

I know you weren't using it in this manner but "Star Wars is actually for eight year olds" is the laziest, most annoying handwave of critique about the series and it really hate it. Star Wars is not for eight year olds: Star Wars is on the whole for a general audience at large. Yes, there are some shows like Forces of Destiny that are explicitly made for eight year olds, but on the whole it is made with the idea of cross demographic appeal. Rebels has Ezra because it's a Disney+ cartoon and they want to appeal to a younger demographic, but it is also sprinkled with tons of stuff to keep older audiences around as well. Ditto Clone wars, ditto almost all the mainstream Star Wars properties.

So sorry, your post pushed a button of mine even though that's not how you meant it and I agree with the general sentiment that people getting on their high horses about posters liking the cartoons is dumb as poo poo.

Fair. I do agree that Star Wars is made for a broad audience. That’s one off the appeals: it is accessible fantasy and adventure. We all love it for our own reasons because of its accessibility. Also, it would be disingenuous of any body here to say their love/obsession of Star Wars isn’t rooted in the fact they first encountered at as children.

Star Wars is high quality fun and entertainment, but it ain’t fine art. People need to calibrate their goddam expectations and stop taking every story turn they don’t like as a personal attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spacebump posted:

At age 18 or so joined the military. Went on stealth missions inside bases. Lost mentors, families, and friends in war. Led Rogue Squadron and became a commander. Took out the Empire leadership and helped destroy their biggest bases.

im not sure id call the rebels the military. theyre more like al qaeda or isis lol. *takes huge bong rip* and the empire... bro... is america...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yoda should have been using his brain powers to fight with two light sabers from across the room, not doing ninja flips, but alas but remember the Yoda Man marketing campaign for AotC on DVD/VHS release? Because I think of it like three times a day.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Listening to Vol. 2 of the soundtrack, and the one, two punch of Open the Door and Come with Me is just an emotional gut punch that I can't stop listening to.

Ludwig really did the best Star Wars score in years, and I am laughing when people were like "Eh he's reusing a lot of stuff" in the first few episodes. He was just winding up, preparing to knock the ball out of the park.

Also whoever said the dubstep theme for the Dark Troopers was dumb...nah, it loving rules.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Admiral Bosch posted:

yoda ever touching a lightsaber is maybe the most egregious crime of the prequel trilogy

i kinda agree. i waffle between this sentiment and also that it was epic. unsure the correct thought here. been ruminating on this since i seen the movie when it came out

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
What if during Luke and Akosha’s duel, one of the trips and they fall into each other...and just start kissin’ and rubbin’?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

What if during Luke and Akosha’s duel, one of the trips and they fall into each other...and just start kissin’ and rubbin’?

That almost feels like incest for some reason.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

mods??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is also how the Din/Bo duel ends

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Lmao.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I;m just imagining a real Rosario Dawson kissing a CGI Luke Head.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I;m just imagining a real Rosario Dawson kissing a CGI Luke Head.

Who among us has not imagined the same, truly

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Luke would definitely be the type of weirdo who tries to bang his space aunt.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

skasion posted:

If Luke fucks Ahsoka is that incest

Feeling ahead of the curve rn

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
luke is a mfing freak lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I did say Luke was a sheltered farm boy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Vader was emotionally compromised and nowhere near his prime when he was fighting Luke btw.

Isn't being emotionally compromised where the Sith draw their strength from?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You know Luke couldn’t hug aunt beru too long without popping a boner.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Upgrading from a Space Honda Civic to...uh... maybe a 1970's Ford Mustang?

What car do people equate Boba's Slave One to?

At least in the old canon, it was a fancy prototype that Jango stole and destroyed all the originals of. Then Kuat started remaking them to cash in on Boba Fett’s notoriety.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ruddiger posted:

It’s going to be an extremely long offseason.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

teagone posted:

I did say Luke was a sheltered farm boy.

Think he ever hosed a moisture vaporator?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thinking about how the Dark Troopers are basically dark Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots led me to wonder whatever happened to those rolling, potato bug droids from Phantom Menace. They could speedily roll around and when they stopped they were solidly planted, and they had shields. Where did that tech go so that all other droids are so stilted and awkward and vulnerable?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

teagone posted:

Luke was a sheltered farm boy who became a pilot. Ahsoka was a trained killer from her youth lol.

And there were Jedi far better trained from birth having decades and potentially centuries worth of Jedi experience that eclipsed her if a long lived species.

They died. Usually horrible once Order 66 began. If not at Vaders hands than others.

teagone posted:

Vader was emotionally compromised and nowhere near his prime when he was fighting Luke btw.

And yet Vader still killed all that came against him every other day. Ashoka had to run and hide changing her name to ensure her continual survival because she couldn't beat Vader on her best day.

Luke beat Vader in a straight up fight, Ashoka couldn't and he did so with far less experience.

Yeah, Lukes the real deal. Ashoka is just lucky to be alive.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Lobok posted:

Thinking about how the Dark Troopers are basically dark Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots led me to wonder whatever happened to those rolling, potato bug droids from Phantom Menace. They could speedily roll around and when they stopped they were solidly planted, and they had shields. Where did that tech go so that all other droids are so stilted and awkward and vulnerable?

The precursor to the Galactic Empire was so bad at building droids they had to buy a clone army.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lobok posted:

ran off vape batteries that all got blowd up in the clone wars. rip

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there were a few rolly guys in rebels tho...

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Real talk though Star Wars is kind of a technological dark age setting. There's no real tech advancement and once a tech marvel is destroyed (e.g. Trade Fed. battle droids) it isn't coming back easily.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lobok posted:

Dark Troopers were similar to the Super Battle Droids that the Separatists used.

I was half-expecting it to come up given how important they were to Din's history.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ok so my only critique of this show is the power disparity between season 1 and 2. in season 1, mando looked like a guy in way above his head. i am recalled the episode on that asian looking planet where he was sneaking around avoiding stormtrooper patrols. storm troopers seemed strong, and scary, not to be trifled with. another moment was when he was getting hosed by that crime guy on the space station, he was totally out of his depth and boned. 2 boring xwings show up like they're on a routine case and casually blow it up in 2 seconds before heading off to dunkin donuts, exacerbating the feeling that mando was just one small man in a much bigger, scarier world where there are real big-league power brokers and he's not one of them. then in season 2 we are blowing up imps galore, swatting ties out of the air like it aint no thang, and noclipping through unbelievable odds. i don't know if this is real or just my hosed up brain, but it's a lingering thought.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

:chloe:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Wait shouldn’t Luke be old as gently caress? Isn’t this like 20-30 years after ROTJ? I’m so confused

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Wait shouldn’t Luke be old as gently caress? Isn’t this like 20-30 years after ROTJ? I’m so confused

It’s 5 or 6 years after Jedi. Luke would be about thirty.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ITs like 5years after ROTJ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It's 5-6 years after RotJ and 9-10 after ANH.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Marsupial Ape posted:

All of Stars Wars is made for 8 year olds. All of it, stop acting like it isn’t. The Mandalorian is just a live action cartoon. Don’t act act like you’re like less of an emotionally stunted Gen Xer like the rest of us just because you’re too precious to watch animation.

I love animation. I was answering a specific question about why some people were talking up Ahsoka's chances.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Smythe posted:

ok so my only critique of this show is the power disparity between season 1 and 2. in season 1, mando looked like a guy in way above his head. i am recalled the episode on that asian looking planet where he was sneaking around avoiding stormtrooper patrols. storm troopers seemed strong, and scary, not to be trifled with. another moment was when he was getting hosed by that crime guy on the space station, he was totally out of his depth and boned. 2 boring xwings show up like they're on a routine case and casually blow it up in 2 seconds before heading off to dunkin donuts, exacerbating the feeling that mando was just one small man in a much bigger, scarier world where there are real big-league power brokers and he's not one of them. then in season 2 we are blowing up imps galore, swatting ties out of the air like it aint no thang, and noclipping through unbelievable odds. i don't know if this is real or just my hosed up brain, but it's a lingering thought.

It's real but I think is good. It's a classic case of getting right what RLM call 'going too big too soon'. They're gradually raising the stakes and the challenge as the story progresses so there's never a point where we say 'okay we've seen our hero get out of this exact situation before, they're fine', but at the same time being careful not to go too far too fast so that Din doesn't do something that means nothing is ever a threat again. He assembles an army to take on the krayt dragon. A fireteam to take on the supply ship. When they're rumbled at the WMD base they have to make a run for it. And on the Light Cruiser he sneaks past most of the stormtroopers and only just defeats a dark trooper with a bit of luck. It all feels like a bigger challenge than Season 1, but not unreasonably so.

And if the long arc of the show is 'how did Din become LORD OF MANDALORE' this is how you would tell plan to tell that story over... maybe 5 or 6 seasons.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phenotype posted:

The Force guides your hand when you're lightsaber fighting though, that's how they deflect blaster bolts that are too fast for human reaction speed.

Fennec Shand flat out dodged a blaster in bolt in the last ep.

So did Han.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Alchenar posted:

It's real but I think is good. It's a classic case of getting right what RLM call 'going too big too soon'. They're gradually raising the stakes and the challenge as the story progresses so there's never a point where we say 'okay we've seen our hero get out of this exact situation before, they're fine', but at the same time being careful not to go too far too fast so that Din doesn't do something that means nothing is ever a threat again. He assembles an army to take on the krayt dragon. A fireteam to take on the supply ship. When they're rumbled at the WMD base they have to make a run for it. And on the Light Cruiser he sneaks past most of the stormtroopers and only just defeats a dark trooper with a bit of luck. It all feels like a bigger challenge than Season 1, but not unreasonably so.

And if the long arc of the show is 'how did Din become LORD OF MANDALORE' this is how you would tell plan to tell that story over... maybe 5 or 6 seasons.

agreed, agreed. THANK YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You saw how exited he was after kissing his sister, and aunt beru isn’t even blood related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lobok posted:

The Trade Federation were rich as gently caress hyper capitalist shits and not afraid to spend big bucks on the absolute best for themselves. The Empire probably had bean counters whining that poo poo is too expensive, lets just throw bodies in lovely armour and a 20 credit blaster at folks and put everything into building giant laser cannons instead, and here we are. Considering what resources the various Moffs have left by this point, it's a miracle they managed to build something as good as they did here.