Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

wyoming posted:

I've only seen Avatar once and for whatever reason 'Jake Sully' is forever burned into my brain.

It's because that name is said a thousand times by every single character in the movie.

Unrelated, I get that people don't like Avatar for being super generic. But it's still incredibly well-made on pretty much every level that counts, and people acting like its footprint is worthless when the Star Wars sequels are standing right there is pretty funny. Those movies are generic as gently caress, badly put together and not even impressive on a technological level. Their only legacy will be that they are parts of a bigger franchise, but as movies I'm pretty sure everybody will have forgotten about them in five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I’m excited to see Avatar 2+ but it will never occupy a second more in my brain than when I’m in the theater or if (like now) I happen to see someone else mention it. I will see it in IMAX 3D, enjoy some cool visuals and sounds like the amusement park ride it is, and then never have to think about it again.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'll risk covid to see Avatar 2 but only if Shyamalan returns to direct.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I remember being worried that all movies were going to be in 3D after Avatar made billions but luckily that didnt happen. That being said Avatar was a much cooler experience in 3D and I'll try and see the next one in 3D if we're allowed to leave our houses by then.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

James Cameron took his "Use films to indulge in my underwater fetish" scam to the next level. Avatar 2 will never be released, it's just his way to trick the studios to pay him to live underwater. Overtime some exec comes around to ask what the holdup is he gives them a line about how he had to develop new underwater mocap techniques or something and ensures them it will be ready any day now.

You will know a movie is based on Cameron's fetishes when he makes an underwater-set action movie about a transgenic Latina werecat and her sexy robot wife.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

You will know a movie is based on Cameron's fetishes when he makes an underwater-set action movie about a transgenic Latina werecat and her sexy robot wife.

I mean, sold.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At this rate, Avatar 2 will be the first BIG film if everything returns to some semblance of normality, so it's going to make ALL the money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Avatar is an incredible movie that I love

Why

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Story easy to follow.
Characters easy to like.
Looks loving incredible.
Good music, I dunno I don't remember.

Why would people dare to admit they like a well-made movie?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My two memories of seeing Avatar in the cinema was somehow not noticing it had actually started, and the 3D giving me such a bad headache I had to sit for a while before I could drive home afterwards.

Like it's fine, it was just a big nothingburger.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

It’s a fun adventure to a magical-looking alien world with James Cameron’s flair for excellent action and groundbreaking special effects on full display

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
also I like the cat people with the tails :3:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Avatar was ruined for me when it came out on DVD/Blu-Ray and four separate teachers put it on before winter break.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Now you're pregnant Jake sully

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Avatar is a good movie and I don't get why people poo poo on it. Is it just because of all the money it made and how big it was for a while?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Leavemywife posted:

Avatar is a good movie and I don't get why people poo poo on it. Is it just because of all the money it made and how big it was for a while?

It’s basically “Thing popular! I must prepare my extremely selective list of objections to thing so I can be seen to not like it! Character names! Unobtanium! Pocahontas in space! :smug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've only watched Avatar via clip reels for TV in store sales displays and I feel like its a great movie about Sigourney Weaver and some blue cats attempt to stage a space intervention for their grandpa who is extremely attached to his aging riding mower.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Here's something about Avatar I never see anybody mention: Dileep Rao
I saw him in Drag Me To Hell and he was memorable, then later that year I saw him in Avatar and I was like "hey, it's the guy from Drag Me To Hell!", then the next summer I saw him in Inception and I was like "drat, this dude's on a loving hot streak, wonder where he'll go next" and then he DIDN'T and he's been in essentially nothing since then

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everytime I see people describe James Cameron's Avatar or Snyder movies or the Star Wars prequels as the worst movies they've ever seen I wish I could be so lucky.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Roth posted:

Everytime I see people describe James Cameron's Avatar or Snyder movies or the Star Wars prequels as the worst movies they've ever seen I wish I could be so lucky.

I just think they haven't seen enough movies.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like roller coasters. They're fast, they're flashy, and they're reliable: you always know what you're gonna get. Some of them are windier than others, some are faster, but more or less it's a consistent, fun experience. I tend not to remember any particular roller coaster, but on the whole, they're great. It's a safe bet that the person I am when I leave will be the same person who got on, both physically and emotionally.

I will never forget the feeling of holding my first child in my arms for the first time. The person who walked into the delivery room was not the same person who walked out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The memory of first purchasing and beholding my avatar special edition bluray is more precious to me than any squalling infant could ever be

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Before you react in disgust at my callous comparison of a home media disc with a human life, please keep in mind that the special edition has 3 cuts of the movie, a feature length making of documentary AND a foil slipcover

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hedrigall posted:

Before you react in disgust at my callous comparison of a home media disc with a human life, please keep in mind that the special edition has 3 cuts of the movie, a feature length making of documentary AND a foil slipcover

Just one documentary? Pass

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

When I watch a movie the experience had better be as good (good?) as when I get a newborn baby. Everything else deserves to be in the trash

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My memories of Space Mountain are pretty sacred.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Roth posted:

Orlando or Anaheim?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

Orlando or Anaheim?

Anaheim.

I've only been to World once when I was in 4th grade, but I was at least lucky enough to get on Extra Terrorestial.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Roth posted:

Anaheim.

I've only been to World once when I was in 4th grade, but I was at least lucky enough to get on Extra Terrorestial.

I went on this 3 times in a row when I went to world in the late 90s, it fuckin ruled

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Roth posted:

Anaheim.

Blessed be.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Beachcomber posted:

Orlando or Anaheim?

Ric Flair’s penis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Scrub:rolleyes:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

That set didn’t come out in Australia :negative:

I did get the special edition of the Avatar Xbox 360 game which came with an action figure of blue cat Jakesully 😻

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

My favourite part about avatar is how millions of internet nerds read that one “biggest movie with no cultural impact” article and all parrot it like it makes them some media analyst

I also like how character names is apparently the one measure of a movie’s memorability

I couldn’t tell you a single character from Pulp Fiction apart from Vincent Vega but that movie is memorable as gently caress, I can picture every scene

Its ridiculously stupid even on its face, because most things that cause people to "remember" things in movies is because they stay in the public eye due to things like cartoons and sequels. Avatar just sat on its own as a singular movie with very little tie ins, so of course you're going to forget stuff about it. It's not the MCU where two movies that reference the other movies get released a year or whatever.

But yeah, people like to rail against popular things AND the movie was bigger than comic movies and Star Wars movies, which pissed off people who are on either of those "teams" in their nerd cultural wars.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Here's something about Avatar I never see anybody mention: Dileep Rao
I saw him in Drag Me To Hell and he was memorable, then later that year I saw him in Avatar and I was like "hey, it's the guy from Drag Me To Hell!", then the next summer I saw him in Inception and I was like "drat, this dude's on a loving hot streak, wonder where he'll go next" and then he DIDN'T and he's been in essentially nothing since then

You've reminded me that I want to watch Drag Me To Hell again.

On the Avatar note: It ended up with some of the best food and a boba rum drink at Disney World. Plus this looks cool:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Roth posted:

gently caress that ride

Me "This is a rollercoaster I don't want to ride it"
Parents "No it isn't"
Me "That train is going up and they're screaming this is a rollercoaster I don't want to ride it
Parents "It isn't a rollercoaster you're fine"

It's a God damned rollercoaster. Which made me wary of any ride that has a sign in the line that there could be bumps or drops. I missed out on the dinosaur ride as a result which was not a rollercoaster

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

gently caress that ride

Me "This is a rollercoaster I don't want to ride it"
Parents "No it isn't"
Me "That train is going up and they're screaming this is a rollercoaster I don't want to ride it
Parents "It isn't a rollercoaster you're fine"

It's a God damned rollercoaster. Which made me wary of any ride that has a sign in the line that there could be bumps or drops. I missed out on the dinosaur ride as a result which was not a rollercoaster

I was also terrified of coasters as a kid and my family would always ride them. Their sage advice was to close my eyes whenever a drop came.

I ended up keeping my eyes shut throughout nearly all of Space Mountain. I opened them exactly once, saw a blurry planet then immediately closed them. You heard of "dark rides". My experience was the ULTIMATE dark ride.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I only remember blackness and wailing

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

I only remember blackness and wailing

Me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

When I watch a movie the experience had better be as good (good?) as when I get a newborn baby. Everything else deserves to be in the trash

this but unironically