Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is FF6 to FF7 the only example of a series' localization getting actively worse over time instead of better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 4 to 5?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blockhouse posted:

Is FF6 to FF7 the only example of a series' localization getting actively worse over time instead of better?

Lmao, no

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blockhouse posted:

Fire emblem awakening to fire emblem fates

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd argue 1 to 4, but more because there's a lot less to translate for FF1.

If you count the unreleased prototype for FF2 then that wins easily.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Pfft, no. Even more recent games regularly suffer from poor translations, especially when new, less experienced translation teams take over the duties- as was the case with FF7. The original translation of Ys 8 (as NIS took over publishing duties of the series from XSeed) was so bad they basically went back and redid the entire script over a five month period.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Was it Ar tonelico 2 that had such a bad translation that, even in the modern era, fans went back and did a retransaltion to fix it?

I know it was the second game in one of those kinds of series from I think the PS2 era.... Might have been another series, though.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Persona 4 to 5?

Yeah, what the hell was up with P5's localization? I guess the expectations were so huge this time around that they tried too hard or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Was it Ar tonelico 2 that had such a bad translation that, even in the modern era, fans went back and did a retransaltion to fix it?

AT2's translation wasn't.. well, it had it's problems. I'm hard pressed to call it " awful" because there's a lot worse I guess, but it had inconsistencies and some name changes and weirdness. It worked okay-ish I guess. The bigger problem was the non-terminated string in a move name that caused the game to crash. I believe the retranslation is good, though I haven't actually seen it myself.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Persona 4 to 5?

I think P4 to P5 was sort of a lateral move. 5 got better at writing the core characters like Real Believable Teens, but instead struggled with how to word a lot of the setting stuff.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Going from P4 to P5 is mostly a wash translation-wise, outside of specifically some of Royal's new content having some blatant inaccuracies. Scripting is the bigger issue between the two games in general- P5 has some major writing issues that exist even in the Japanese script.

Persona's translations are always going to have issues because of how much of the game is very literal translations or just untranslated like random one-off Japanese terms and honorifics. It's just, like, 60% problems with the translation style they're going with In general, and a lot of where the other problems come in from where they deviate from that where they shouldn't/stick to it when they need to deviate which often just lead to some real strange tonal or phrasing issues. Persona translations are at their strongest when two characters are talking privately to each other about personal issues and get a chance to keep more to character-specific tendencies and more expressive dialog in general, and start falling apart at a far more rapid pace when taking about outside parties or bigger-scope events.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 20, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

He's clearly trying to keep a low profile with a fake name.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This is really cool, someone covered Dancing Mad on an actual church organ as it was meant to be played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFavxCmZbjg

Couple of years old but I'd never seen it before.

Absolutely insane levels of talent, it's hard to describe how difficult of a piece this would be and he's note-perfect without even having sheet music to reference. Still probably Uematsu's most impressive composition.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is really cool, someone covered Dancing Mad on an actual church organ as it was meant to be played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFavxCmZbjg

Couple of years old but I'd never seen it before.

Absolutely insane levels of talent, it's hard to describe how difficult of a piece this would be and he's note-perfect without even having sheet music to reference. Still probably Uematsu's most impressive composition.

8-Bit Music Theory did a pretty nice video analyzing Dancing Mad awhile ago, worth a watch if you're into that nitty-gritty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbeXHTDVX8c

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Archenteron posted:

8-Bit Music Theory did a pretty nice video analyzing Dancing Mad awhile ago, worth a watch if you're into that nitty-gritty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbeXHTDVX8c

I am indeed, and this was really cool too, thank you!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

kirbysuperstar posted:

AT2's translation wasn't.. well, it had it's problems. I'm hard pressed to call it " awful" because there's a lot worse I guess, but it had inconsistencies and some name changes and weirdness. It worked okay-ish I guess. The bigger problem was the non-terminated string in a move name that caused the game to crash. I believe the retranslation is good, though I haven't actually seen it myself.

It also had a completely untranslated line tied to a game-spanning side quest that you'd see well over a dozen times over the course of the game.

There was an entire segment in Cyber Sleuth where your friends suddenly got obsessed over a random Bakemon.

The translators mixed up 'Bakemon' and 'bakemono'.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

It also had a completely untranslated line tied to a game-spanning side quest that you'd see well over a dozen times over the course of the game.

Oh yeah that was fun

Cyber Sleuth's translation was very bad all around but the final chapter just utterly devolved into words that almost formed something resembling a sentence when combined.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

There was a fix for that endboss that involved a patched ISO, tho.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There was a fix for that endboss that involved a patched ISO, tho.

Yeah that's not good enough in 2007 though. It never got a reprint that fixed it, you just had to power over it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was terrified to finish AT2 on PS2 because I knew about the bug I didn't know then if I had the chops to work around it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I'd argue 1 to 4, but more because there's a lot less to translate for FF1.

If you count the unreleased prototype for FF2 then that wins easily.

Every Final Fantasy is the Final Fantasy, so it checks out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Here's another couple of these since some people were interested and it's good practice for me anyway.

Escaping the Shinra Building, soldiers have surrounded the building and in EN Barret laments that "alone this wouldn't be a thang" but that he's "gotta reputation to protect". This is likely a mistranslation stemming from the fact that there's a shared word for "face" as in reputation and "lineup" (it's a Mahjong thing), so what he means is that Aerith and Red XIII being there is what's stopping him, not his "reputation".

Couple of minor things you could maybe chalk up to localization choices, but he also says Aerith "got caught up in this over Marlene" in EN, but obviously she was already "caught up in it" long before that and the JP line is about her literal physical capture by Shinra in exchange for Marlene. He also calls Red XIII "cold" like Cloud which generally refers to someone being emotionally cold, but the word he uses just means composed and cool-headed.

Just as trivia, there's also an intentional line change here, with Barret in EN following his promise to protect Aerith by walking towards the door saying "Ok, playtime's over for you jackasses..." (despite having just said he wouldn't go out for his "reputation"?) while in JP it's a follow-up to his promise with him stating that he's done with letting Shinra do whatever they please with her.

And as usual Barret's swearing is just him going "Tch..." here. I haven't played the Remake, I'm guessing the “*&^%(*… stuff got cleaned up there with the voice acting and all?

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 20, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Kanfy posted:

Here's another couple of these since some people were interested and it's good practice for me anyway.

Thank you for these, they're extremely interesting!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kanfy posted:

And as usual Barret's swearing is just him going "Tch..." here. I haven't played the Remake, I'm guessing the “*&^%(*… stuff got cleaned up there with the voice acting and all?

Yeah there's no faux censoring, he just swears and it's out there. I dunno if that's how he talks in JP Remake, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, what the hell was up with P5's localization? I guess the expectations were so huge this time around that they tried too hard or something.

it's all scuttlebutt, but allegedly the higher-ups in Atlus' JPN branch severely micromanaged the english localization, which is why so much of the dialogue is so stiff and proper and there's an abundance of too-literal recurring phrases like "aesthetics" and "it can't be helped"

the quality noticeably ebbs and flows throughout the game (it's worst at the very beginning and, for some reason, in Kaneshiro's palace), which supports the idea that a bunch of uptight old men kept sweeping by to interfere with the localization process and then wander off again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

it's all scuttlebutt, but allegedly the higher-ups in Atlus' JPN branch severely micromanaged the english localization, which is why so much of the dialogue is so stiff and proper and there's an abundance of too-literal recurring phrases like "aesthetics" and "it can't be helped"

the quality noticeably ebbs and flows throughout the game (it's worst at the very beginning and, for some reason, in Kaneshiro's palace), which supports the idea that a bunch of uptight old men kept sweeping by to interfere with the localization process and then wander off again

It's worst in the first arc because they clearly went back to polish that arc up writing wise given how the whole thing kind just plummets from there. So I'm guessing if they were very keen on making sure it was 'just right' for localization that first part would get hit the hardest.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay but why are Rufous and Scarlet, both people literally named red, why are they both blondes, while the only red-haired (human) character is named Reno, which comes from Moreno, which means brown!!! This has bothered me for thirteen years.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It's irony, like when a big guy is called Tiny

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Vichan posted:

Oh God, I wish it wasn't practically scrubbed off the internet.

My question still stands though, is the translation any good?

It's okay, aside from some very overly literal translations, and some baffling decisions ( I will never get over Crime Hazard).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As someone who thinks special moves need the most translation latitude, Crime Hazard is inspired.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm Mr. Me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

Okay but why are Rufous and Scarlet, both people literally named red, why are they both blondes, while the only red-haired (human) character is named Reno, which comes from Moreno, which means brown!!! This has bothered me for thirteen years.

This is what led Azul the Cerulean and others in Dirge of Cerberus.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Scarlet wears a red dress, OP

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is what led Azul the Cerulean and others in Dirge of Cerberus.

I mean, if a baseball team can be The Los Angeles Angels

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YggiDee posted:

Why does Rude, the largest of the Turks, not simply eat the rest of the Turks?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Why is Rude, in fact, the most polite of the Turks?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's a psychological trick to catch his targets off-guard. You expect this arrogant jerk who will gloat in your face, and instead he kills you with kindness.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I expected philosophical tracts, not cutting-edge war machines, from Heidegger

I ESPECIALLY expected philosophical tracts from Bender's voice coming out of Heidegger

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Why is he called Red XIII when there are twelve other Reds!?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why it is called JENOVA when it is a clearly a spawn of Lavos that survived Chrono Trigger and Cross and got the gently caress off that planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jenova Ancient word. "Jen" = Fire. "Ova" = Big.