Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It seems like the numbers on the first tier are really really high, I think they want people to actually spend the month working on them instead of clearing them all in the first week and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Baron von Eevl posted:

This new winter mode is pretty bad. It's snow day but with much much harder goals, and that's it.

Actually it's great, and grinding it has somehow made me better at 3's.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Baron von Eevl posted:

It seems like the numbers on the first tier are really really high, I think they want people to actually spend the month working on them instead of clearing them all in the first week and a half.

Yeah, you have until March to get them so with even casual play you should get through the first batch. Hopefully by the 4th the goals won't be as high.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

Hopefully by the 4th the goals won't be as high.
"Get 100 MVPs in Rumble"

bengy81
May 8, 2010

japtor posted:

"Get 100 MVPs in Rumble"

I gave up on the last few last season, bitch I'm down in scrub city, nobody is making me MVP of anything.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I went up against a team in competitive who I thought were smurfs or something. They could do the fast corner kickoff so well that they'd get to the ball first and I wasn't even intercepting it with my normal kickoff. I haven't learned the fast kickoff yet. They knocked like three in straight off faceoff because it caught us offguard so much, and we were demoralized.

Kept playing though and realized the had like zero mechanics and teamwork otherwise. Missing super easy stuff and being in the wrong places. Pulled an easy win once we figured out how to deal with their faceoff. Practicing stuff until you're an expert is cool but it's important to learn the rest of the game too!

I should have saved that replay because their faceoffs were ridiculously fast. Normally when I'm up against someone who can do the quick kickoff thing they'll get to the ball first but I'll still get there and get contact and not really have to worry about a kickoff goal unless I completely whiff. So honest kudos to them for that. This was like mid-plat level.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I know this game is old as hell, but it's still really fun. I just got into it because it was the ideal game to play online with a bunch of friends during quarantine. It's easy to pick up, free to play and the games don't take very long.

I did go a bit harder in than the rest of my buddies and did more online matches and training. it feels really good cause it feels like it suddenly clicked for me, and now I can anticipate where the ball will bounce to, keep up my momentum and then launch towards it from really far away and hit it where I want it to go. it's a night and day difference from just slowly slogging around the ball and hoping it goes somewhere.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

The Fattest PI posted:

I went up against a team in competitive who I thought were smurfs or something. They could do the fast corner kickoff so well that they'd get to the ball first and I wasn't even intercepting it with my normal kickoff. I haven't learned the fast kickoff yet. They knocked like three in straight off faceoff because it caught us offguard so much, and we were demoralized.

Kept playing though and realized the had like zero mechanics and teamwork otherwise. Missing super easy stuff and being in the wrong places. Pulled an easy win once we figured out how to deal with their faceoff. Practicing stuff until you're an expert is cool but it's important to learn the rest of the game too!

I should have saved that replay because their faceoffs were ridiculously fast. Normally when I'm up against someone who can do the quick kickoff thing they'll get to the ball first but I'll still get there and get contact and not really have to worry about a kickoff goal unless I completely whiff. So honest kudos to them for that. This was like mid-plat level.

You run into so many people at the middle ranks where you think they're really good until you realize they're only good at one thing. Mechanical gods with bad game sense will almost always lose to teams with good positioning.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I haven't bought in to that "fast kickoff" thing yet. After a few years I'm still struggling to break out of low diamond/high plat (I don't try as hard as I should, but I used to be solidly mid-high diamond :(), but honestly sometimes it seems like being the 2nd to hit the ball is an advantage.

In any case, boost + forward(ish) dodge at the end is more than enough to get you to the ball against a fast kickoff, and even if you don't "win" the kickoff usually you can still influence it.

IMO it's not about hitting the ball first, or even pushing it to the opposing side, it's about controlling where it goes after contact, and more importantly giving your teammates a clean shot at it. That sounds stupid said out loud, but once you realize that a backwards kickoff can be advantageous, it opens up a lot of possibilities. If your teammate is right behind you, you can stall the ball and they can have a clean shot at it. If your teammate is in the corner grabbing boost, you can pop the ball their direction and now you have a teammate with full boost and the ball.

Maybe I'm late to the game with this, but like to take kickoffs and once I made this connection it was kind of a game changer (in that the results of my kickoffs got better, not that it necessarily won me more games). Kickoff isn't about smashing in to the ball first, it's about setting your teammates up to do something with it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DaveSauce posted:

I haven't bought in to that "fast kickoff" thing yet. After a few years I'm still struggling to break out of low diamond/high plat (I don't try as hard as I should, but I used to be solidly mid-high diamond :(), but honestly sometimes it seems like being the 2nd to hit the ball is an advantage.

In any case, boost + forward(ish) dodge at the end is more than enough to get you to the ball against a fast kickoff, and even if you don't "win" the kickoff usually you can still influence it.

IMO it's not about hitting the ball first, or even pushing it to the opposing side, it's about controlling where it goes after contact, and more importantly giving your teammates a clean shot at it. That sounds stupid said out loud, but once you realize that a backwards kickoff can be advantageous, it opens up a lot of possibilities. If your teammate is right behind you, you can stall the ball and they can have a clean shot at it. If your teammate is in the corner grabbing boost, you can pop the ball their direction and now you have a teammate with full boost and the ball.

Maybe I'm late to the game with this, but like to take kickoffs and once I made this connection it was kind of a game changer (in that the results of my kickoffs got better, not that it necessarily won me more games). Kickoff isn't about smashing in to the ball first, it's about setting your teammates up to do something with it.

The speed kickoff can be so fast compared to "Flip once and boost" that it allows you a clean hit on the ball that unless you aim it at the other guy, he can't touch. If two people are roughly the same speed, hitting the ball 2nd can definitely be an advantage; but I played 1s against a guy using it (I am low Plat 1s player) and I never touched the ball on kickoff unless he messed up his flip.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Lumpy posted:

The speed kickoff can be so fast compared to "Flip once and boost" that it allows you a clean hit on the ball that unless you aim it at the other guy, he can't touch. If two people are roughly the same speed, hitting the ball 2nd can definitely be an advantage; but I played 1s against a guy using it (I am low Plat 1s player) and I never touched the ball on kickoff unless he messed up his flip.

That's interesting, I guess I haven't come across a kickoff that I haven't been able to compensate for after a few tries. I typically boost towards the ball and then dodge at the end, so that might be what's allowing me to catch at least some part of the ball.

But I haven't really put this to a hard test, so I might just be getting lucky against people who suck at it, or my teammates are picking up my slack.

Also I don't play 1v1 because I suck terribly at it and it's so goddamn stressful.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DaveSauce posted:

That's interesting, I guess I haven't come across a kickoff that I haven't been able to compensate for after a few tries. I typically boost towards the ball and then dodge at the end, so that might be what's allowing me to catch at least some part of the ball.

But I haven't really put this to a hard test, so I might just be getting lucky against people who suck at it, or my teammates are picking up my slack.

Also I don't play 1v1 because I suck terribly at it and it's so goddamn stressful.

I boost and flip and well, and against a "real" speed kickoff, you won't touch it. The good news is, at our level, 98% of people can't do it, so you don't have to worry.

S'up "1s is stressful" buddy. I have been forcing myself to play it to get over the anxiety of it, and it's slowly working while also making me better at Rocket League!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lumpy posted:

I boost and flip and well, and against a "real" speed kickoff, you won't touch it. The good news is, at our level, 98% of people can't do it, so you don't have to worry.

S'up "1s is stressful" buddy. I have been forcing myself to play it to get over the anxiety of it, and it's slowly working while also making me better at Rocket League!
I play competitive 1s to warm up cause it forces me to be active on the ball all the time...and I don't have to worry about messing up random teammates with how bad I am :v:

(The only thing I have to worry about is occasionally getting way overmatched and destroyed now and then :ohdear:)

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

DaveSauce posted:

The first person to the ball is always going to have an advantage, they know exactly where the ball is when they hit it so they can control it effectively while the second person just has to hope it hasn't moved too far from where they're aiming. Sure the second person can try to predict or adapt but so can the first person so it's not an advantage, and while it'll sometimes have good results it's a losing strategy in the long run.

There's also lots of types of kickoffs that are faster than just boosting. A simple front flip on the runup is easy enough for anyone to do, significantly faster than boosting alone and saves you boost allowing you to get away faster and maybe win the race to the big boost afterwards. Then there's the more complicated variations with diagonal flips and speedflips (i.e. cancelled diagonal flips) which are faster still, but even without getting into that territory you'll do a lot better if you learn to do a front flip on the run up. Resetting in free play puts you on a kickoff location so it's super easy to practice and it'll take literally 5 minutes to figure out the timing of the flip in each of the possible start points.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Contra Duck posted:

There's also lots of types of kickoffs that are faster than just boosting. A simple front flip on the runup is easy enough for anyone to do, significantly faster than boosting alone and saves you boost allowing you to get away faster and maybe win the race to the big boost afterwards.

I dunno what I'm doing wrong but whenever I try just doing a front flip to the kickoff I am significantly slower than if I had just boosted. I've been trying to figure out how to be faster at kickoffs and trying various things but I can never add a flip in there and be faster, it feels like.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

AirRaid posted:

I dunno what I'm doing wrong but whenever I try just doing a front flip to the kickoff I am significantly slower than if I had just boosted. I've been trying to figure out how to be faster at kickoffs and trying various things but I can never add a flip in there and be faster, it feels like.

The usual issue there is letting go of the boost too early. You want to hold down the boost button through the beginning of the jump and only let go once you’ve started the flip.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Okay, but how much boost should I be using? How early to flip? I guess I should be boosting from the standing start into the flip but how much boost should I have after the flip?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I don’t have exact numbers but on the diagonal you want to flip just before the boost pad. You can download a replay of someone good if you want to examine it closely. Resetting in free play is the best place to get a feel for it though, you just want to make sure you have enough time after landing to properly hit the ball.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My kickoff logic is that there’s some minimum speed where the flip gives you that extra boost, so you gotta get a feel for that. Boost until you think you’re at that point then flip and cross your fingers.

Alternatively (or in conjunction) my lazy method is essentially a handstand (vertical on the front bumper) into the ball and watch the opponent to see where they’re aiming to counter. The length of the car vertically is usually enough to clip the ball at least and pop it up, or ideally just rebound it forwards. I think the main reason I started doing that was cause if I was late or beat on flipping, decent chance I’d get popped up by the ball and basically out of play flailing around in the air for a bit after kickoff. With the handstand I’m pretty much right back on the ground around contact and can recover on defense if necessary.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Anyone have any good controller binding settings?

I can kind of deal with whatever, but I recently tried mapping air roll left or right to L3 (pushing the stick in)
I guess I mash the stick pretty good because I tornado on accident all the time.

I have the Xbox elite 2 and kinda want to use the backside bonus paddles, but they don't seem to be extra buttons at all, just remaps of existing ones.

I grew up with claw grip on Genesis, but the buttons in a diamond so close to the right stick it's a pain.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

For me the biggest is to put air roll and power slide to L1, with boost on R1 if it isn't already mapped there. I put rear view on X button and ball am toggle on Y. For me these combine for fluid movement and good situational awareness

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Do you guys keep your middle finger on R2 and your index finger on R1? I tried that but it's very awkward for me on a DS4, even though I have pretty (and) large hands. it forces my hand in a weird position because and theres tension in the tendon that connects to my middle finger, if that makes sense.

so I use L1 for turbo, square for power slide, triangle for air roll left and circle for air roll right. I use R3 to switch camera.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Yes, 1 finger per shoulder button for me. But I think at the end of the day it's mainly important to experiment and see what feels good! Everybody has different hand interfaces.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Julius Seizure posted:

Do you guys keep your middle finger on R2 and your index finger on R1? I tried that but it's very awkward for me on a DS4, even though I have pretty (and) large hands. it forces my hand in a weird position because and theres tension in the tendon that connects to my middle finger, if that makes sense.

so I use L1 for turbo, square for power slide, triangle for air roll left and circle for air roll right. I use R3 to switch camera.

Yeah I found it really natural to use driving-game style controls, boost on R1 above the throttle, powerslide on L1 above the brake, but it did take me a while to adjust to using two fingers independently like this, that was a fairly recent change. It was easy to shift how I held my right hand to drive and boost independently as my left hand braced the controller more but shifting my left hand accordingly was uncomfortable for a good while and I'd slip back into just using my index for both. Now I've become accustomed to it, it's easy and I don't slip back anymore. I also have air roll on L1, which works quite well tied to the powerslide input for recoveries and wavedashes and stuff, I'm not sure of any situations where those two overlapping is a problem.

I've tried directional air rolls and haven't found a way of doing it that feels intuitive, maybe if a good controller had paddles that were their own inputs, or maybe for maximum stupid you can use gyro controls. I never liked putting ballcam or rear view on the L3 either, I keep trying it and deciding it's too prone to accidentally being hit. And on R3, I mean, my thumb is already on X 80% of the time, so it's less disruptive to go to one of the other face buttons. I don't actually know what my other buttons are, last time I played on PC I had to redo all my keybinds and ended up putting rear view and scoreboard on the same button by mistake.

Also with kickoffs, I find in team games winning the kickoff is fine, whatever, but most of the time losing a kickoff is also fine as long as you lose it to somewhere inconsequential. Don't worry about the perfect way to win a kickoff if all you need to do is avoid losing a kickoff in a way that is immediately catastrophic, and give your team a fighting chance on the next hit. Like when the ball fires straight up and off the ceiling to come down in front of your goal, or similarly when the ball pings high off the sidewall, it makes for a really good centre for the opposing team, your second player is probably already ahead of the ball and unable to get back and your third doesn't expect to have to defend this kind of attack this quickly with no backup. That's the stuff that makes people angry enough to forfiet tied games with more than two minutes left.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, it seems my setup is not optimal and I might have to just bite the bullet and get used to using my middle finger for R2/L2. I really wish the triggers were on the back of the controller and not all the way up.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

OK, after trying out your bindings for *check watch* half an hour in training mode and getting used to them a bit, I have to say they are much better. Having slide on L1 instead of right next to the jump button makes sliding more accessible and less likely to mess with my jumps.

Also using the modifier + analog stick to air roll is good because you can do tiny analog adjustments. I'll just have to get used to not rolling my car accidentally when I just want to power slide without air rolling. The thing you mentioned is also cool, if you're doing roll adjustments before landing you automatically land in a slide. that wasn't possible for me before when I was using square for slide and triangle/circle for air roll left/right.

I also use only my index finger on the left side of the controller because I don't need to slide + reverse at the same time, and so I can grip the controller with my left hand more, which takes some pressure off my right hand.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Wave dashing should be easier now, too!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
I have a controller with paddles / buttons on the bottom. I have air roll left & right on the bumpers, powerslide on X which is mapped to the left paddle, and boost on B which is mapped to the right. But, I am bad at this game so I don't know if this is an optimal setup.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

With the xbox controller I have
B - Boost
A - Jump
X - powerslide
Y - camera
LB - air roll left
RB - air roll right
LT - reverse / air roll
RT - gas

Not the "most optimal" but my muscle memory is too locked in at this point.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

After playing RL for a while now, here are some of my thoughts:

* It's really fun once you get a little good. I still can't do air dribbles, flip resets and that stuff, but don't think I really need it. there's still a lot i can do to improve my fundamentals
* The people are mostly very salty and juvenile, but that's to be expected for a F2P game i guess. I got called the n word multiple times and one guy said "gg guys get corona" when they lost lol
* My car looks dope
* When jumping into 3v3 queues, 80% of the time it puts me in a team of randoms against 3 guys who are in a party and in the same clan. like what the heck, can't it just match those people in parties against each other?
* I played a whole bunch for a couple of days but got frustrated because I seemed to be playing real bad. took a break for two days and noticed I was playing really well all of a sudden

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah all that is true, especially especially the playing more = playing bad. I've ruined my day several times getting frustrated by the toxic players and watching my rank steadily plummet as I keep angrily smashing the "play again" button

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm also relatively new, I started the game after it went F2P. I haven't had that bad luck with toxic players, mostly just people who team up and then quit in the next game as soon as the other team scores a single goal. I've also been trying to be as positive and encouraging as possible using "nice shot" and "what a save" generously.

I did have one guy chime in with "nice shot my rear end" and berating his team for being idiots while also being the lowest scoring person on the server.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finding a friend or two, clanning up, and firing up discord is 100% the way to go. Ignore the opposition’s feeble-minded rants.

I think I’ve peaked. Got enough plat wins for a season reward when this season ends at the end of March. I am quite certain I’ll never get beyond platinum, so now I can just rocket boost off into the sunset.

I hope the season rewards are something as visible as the cool metallic skins from last season, I got up to the gold season reward then and the skin is gorgeous. Vs the skins from earlier seasons that were yellow, gray, and brown. :what:

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Baron von Eevl posted:

I did have one guy chime in with "nice shot my rear end" and berating his team for being idiots while also being the lowest scoring person on the server.

If someone is constantly complaining about his terrible teammates he’s almost always the worst player on the team. And it’s usually very obvious to everyone but him. Sometimes this ends with everyone on both teams relentlessly bullying him which can be funny.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

u_s_eh posted:

If someone is constantly complaining about his terrible teammates he’s almost always the worst player on the team.

I complain about my teammates all the time, and can confirm this to be true

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

from my experience, reminding people that they're being really mad about TOY CARS is sometimes enough to get them to shut up

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I’m on Switch and can only see the quick chat toxicity :(

I was completely clueless about it until partying with my friend who mentioned it. I’ve seen chat before but apparently that was other Switch players, my highlight being one guy telling his teammates they suck when I beat them 1v3.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I really don't like the toxicity that this game inspires, I like to have fun and people being dickholes kinda brings that down a bit. Really your best bet is to get teammates you know are chill, not take things too personally, and ignore anything the other team gives you. You can also use the report feature whenever you think it's justified, it's always fun to see the notification when someone actually gets banned.

I think Rocket League, being a sports videogame, attracts and brings out the worst of both worlds, so you end up with some really lovely people being really lovely.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I ended up completely disabling quick chat because the "what a save!" God drat thing would tilt me so hard. Don't know why, but getting what a save'd by a teammate just makes me want to completely throw the game. I've been called every racial slur in League of Legends and it's just whatever man, but "what a save" me and I crumble. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It's really satisfying to log into RL and see the little popup saying someone you reported got a suspension. Sometimes if someone's being real lovely I'll bait em into saying something suspendable.
What I don't get is when you're up against a team that's pretty evenly matched and it's like an awesome game and you're on the edge of your seat the whole time and then someone tries chirping about it after a 2 minute overtime win. drat dude win or loss we just had a really fun time