Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cubone posted:

yeah nobody wanted to touch that character before YJ
To be fair Cassandra Sandsmark first appeared in John Byrne's Wonder Woman run in November 1995, became "Wonder Girl" in May 1996, and was a regular supporting character in Byrne's run until it ended in June of 1998. She joined Young Justice in November 1998, and was still a frequent supporting character in Eric Luke's Wonder Woman that ran through 2000.

The period between "Byrne creates a new Wonder Girl" and "Wonder Girl joins Young Justice" wasn't a big period for teen books at DC: Superboy, Robin, and Impulse (the original core of YJ) all had mid-selling solo books, but the "New Titans" book finally got canceled with #130 in December 1995, and DC didn't seem to be in a rush to fill that slot in their publishing schedule. I guess you could squint and say Superboy & the Ravers (launched in July 1996, lasted 19 issues) was a replacement, and they did an explicit Teen Titans relaunch (August 1996, the all-new team by Dan Jurgens, ran 24 issues) but neither of these feel like a great fit for Wonder Girl.

I have not read any of these books since near the time they came out and even then I'm pretty sure I skipped the majority of them, so was there ever a great explanation as to why Wonder Girl evolved from this

to this

In the span of probably a little under a year in-universe time? I guess the dark hair was a wig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The dark hair was Diana's previously unmentioned wig that she wore when Artemis was WW. There was an issue of WW where Arrowette gave her a makeover that was never really brought up elsewhere. I think Donna also shows up somewhere and gives Cassie the old WG suit.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I remember Wizard pointing out that Byrne had like just stopped drawing backgrounds at some point on that Wonder Woman run, which was the first time I can think of them saying basically anything negative about him, but I totally forgot that extended to the covers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had this period where he got into doing computer drawn buildings and they looked like absolute dogshit but he wanted to be known as an innovator despite clearly having no skill when it came to using a PC.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I liked when he busted out that weird duoshade paper on Namor but did not like when he had She-Hulk talk about being drawn with duoshade paper

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The dark hair was Diana's previously unmentioned wig that she wore when Artemis was WW. There was an issue of WW where Arrowette gave her a makeover that was never really brought up elsewhere. I think Donna also shows up somewhere and gives Cassie the old WG suit.

Yeah. Cassie didn't wear it much in YJ because she was honestly afraid of messing the costume up, and Todd Nauck mostly drew her in costumes that you'd figure a teenager would make. Also Byrne's dialogue for Cassie was, amusingly, Claremont-esque in 'old man tries too hard to write for teens.' David did better because I think he had kids of a similar age at the time. (Of course it was the PAD Guy, so there also puns a-plenty.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cassie's second costume is kind of bland but there's just something stupid about her WWG shirt. The "G" just looks dumb.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Cassie didn't wear it much in YJ because she was honestly afraid of messing the costume up, and Todd Nauck mostly drew her in costumes that you'd figure a teenager would make. Also Byrne's dialogue for Cassie was, amusingly, Claremont-esque in 'old man tries too hard to write for teens.' David did better because I think he had kids of a similar age at the time. (Of course it was the PAD Guy, so there also puns a-plenty.)

Yeah, David says he didn't really get a handle on the book until the girls joined, because he had teen daughters but no sons.

radlum
May 13, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Cassie's second costume is kind of bland but there's just something stupid about her WWG shirt. The "G" just looks dumb.

I had never noticed the G; it looks stupid. However, the second costume looks bland as hell; at least Diana's Wig and WW t-shirt were nice "improvised kid hero" looks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

radlum posted:

I had never noticed the G; it looks stupid. However, the second costume looks bland as hell; at least Diana's Wig and WW t-shirt were nice "improvised kid hero" looks.

The second outfit isn't that different from Donna Troy's old Wonder Girl outfit, just 90s-ed up with a bare midriff and combat boots.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but...

Ever since I was a kid and discovered them in Who's Who, I had a soft spot for Golden Age superheroes, especially DC's characters. I was thrilled that there were different versions of familiar superheroes, along with some completely unfamiliar ones, and they fought Nazis. Around the same time, I picked up Last Days of the Justice Society #1 off a newsstand in the mid '80s and was shocked to read about the JSA being forced to battle in Ragnarok forever. My dad was cool enough to take me to a comic shop where I found Infinity Inc. #30, with a bit of a denouement to that story, showing how the JSA's absence and sacrifice was felt among their proteges and friends. (That comic also introduced me to Todd McFarlane's art, but I never sought out any more Infinity Inc.)

Then I read Len Strazewski's 8-issue Justice Society miniseries and 10-issue regular series in the early '90s, with bright, fun art by the late Mike Parobeck. Those comics should be better remembered. I hated that the JSA was forced into the role of jobbers in Zero Hour, but when James Robinson's Starman came out, honoring the JSA's legacy, it changed my life for the better. Starman became my all-time favorite series, and Sandman Mystery Theatre would also fall in my top ten. Of course I loved James Robinson's Golden Age, and I liked Geoff Johns' JSA when I read the first few years of that run.

But now I'm wondering if All-Star Squadron was any good, although I'm pretty sure that if it was worthwhile, it would have more critical acclaim and enduring buzz. I have a feeling I won't have any patience for Roy Thomas' old-timey writing style, even if I do love seeing Golden Age superheroes fighting Nazis. How would rear end hold up for a new reader in 2021?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 27, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but...

Ever since I was a kid and discovered them in Who's Who, I had a soft spot for Golden Age superheroes, especially DC's characters. I was thrilled that there were different versions of familiar superheroes, along with some completely unfamiliar ones, and they fought Nazis. Around the same time, I picked up Last Days of the Justice Society #1 off a newsstand in the mid '80s and was shocked to read about the JSA being forced to battle in Ragnarok forever. My dad was cool enough to take me to a comic shop where I found Infinity Inc. #30, with a bit of a denouement to that story, showing how the JSA's absence and sacrifice was felt among their proteges and friends. (That comic also introduced me to Todd McFarlane's art, but I never sought out any more Infinity Inc.)

Then I read Len Strazewski's 8-issue Justice Society miniseries and 10-issue regular series in the early '90s, with bright, fun art by the late Mike Parobeck. Those comics should be better remembered. I hated that the JSA was forced into the role of jobbers in Zero Hour, but when James Robinson's Starman came out, honoring the JSA's legacy, it changed my life for the better. Starman became my all-time favorite series, and Sandman Mystery Theatre would also fall in my top ten. Of course I loved James Robinson's Golden Age, and I liked Geoff Johns' JSA when I read the first few years of that run.

But now I'm wondering if All-Star Squadron was any good, although I'm pretty sure that if it was worthwhile, it would have more critical acclaim and enduring buzz. I have a feeling I won't have any patience for Roy Thomas' old-timey writing style, even if I do love seeing Golden Age superheroes fighting Nazis. How would rear end hold up for a new reader in 2021?

It's certainly not the worst early 80s DC series you could read-- it's definitely campy and baroque in that Roy Thomas way but it also feels surprisingly fresh in a lot of ways, especially post-Crisis when it relaunches as Young All-Stars and brings in really esoteric characters like Iron Munro and Neptune Perkins.

I think depending on your patience for Roy Thomas it's deeply inessential at worst and a really kind of cool time-capsule at best. Adrian Gonzalez' pencils are also really lovely after a rough first year with Rich Buckler (not a fan personally but ymmv), kind of appealingly stylized and stagey in a very Golden-Age adjacent kind of way.

Definitely not as thoughtful as Robinson's Starman or as fun and exuberant as anything Mike Parobeck ever did, but not a waste of time at all if you have an interest in the characters!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd assume it feels pretty similar to Thomas' Invaders over at Marvel, which is a run I personally enjoy a lot but it's definitely an acquired taste in 2021.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

It's certainly not the worst early 80s DC series you could read-- it's definitely campy and baroque in that Roy Thomas way but it also feels surprisingly fresh in a lot of ways, especially post-Crisis when it relaunches as Young All-Stars and brings in really esoteric characters like Iron Munro and Neptune Perkins.

Weren't those last two post-Crisis creations to stand in for Superman and Aquaman in continuity?

I think All-Star Squadron is when Thomas improved and his Earth-2 private playground let him work with characters that he loved and he could play with continuity. But Thomas is definitely a second tier, workman-like writer and it can be rough going, especially the earlier issues.

I actually kind of like Infinity Inc. (which part of Thomas's Earth-2 stuff), but it's definitely solid adventure comic rather than something I'd seriously recommend.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Random Stranger posted:

Weren't those last two post-Crisis creations to stand in for Superman and Aquaman in continuity?

I think All-Star Squadron is when Thomas improved and his Earth-2 private playground let him work with characters that he loved and he could play with continuity. But Thomas is definitely a second tier, workman-like writer and it can be rough going, especially the earlier issues.

I actually kind of like Infinity Inc. (which part of Thomas's Earth-2 stuff), but it's definitely solid adventure comic rather than something I'd seriously recommend.

Iron Munro is basically the John W. Campbell pulp hero Aarn Munro, who showed up as Iron Munro in some The Shadow comics in the 40s. Fair point about Neptune Perkins, I just love his name. He also gives Thomas a chance to do the same sort of proto-LoEG, pseudo-Philip Jose Farmer kind of Wold Newton archive spelunking and bring in Vril and Arthur Gordon Pym in some fun ways.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Young All-Stars was Roy's attempt to salvage his carefully cultivated DC Golden Age continuity after the Crisis wiped out Earth-2 and Golden Age Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, as well as Earth-X and the Freedom Fighters (most of whom were forgotten but some, like Plastic Man, were just plunked down in modern continuity).

Besides Iron Munro and Neptune Perkins, Roy also introduced Fury as a Wonder Woman stand-in, and a Native American hero, Flying Fox, to take Batman's place. He also added a Japanese-American heroine, Tsunami, which was an, um, interesting choice for a series set in World War II America.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read Who's Who as a kid, so I learned about all those characters from All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc., and Young All-Stars without reading any of the actual comics. There's a black and white Showcase edition of All-Star Squadron I might request as an interlibrary loan, or otherwise I'll probably just wait until I get a DC Universe subscription.

Thanks for the advice, all. I was thinking about it today as I'm reading through Marc Andreyko's Manhunter series for the first time, and I got to the part where it is revealed that Phantom Lady is Kate Spencer's grandmother, and she tells Kate that Iron Munro is her grandfather, but they put their first child (Kate's father, who was evil) up for adoption.

That was cool, because I've always had a soft spot for Phantom Lady. She is related to another one of my favorite superhero families, a cousin of Ted and Jack Knight, and she always struck me as a superhero version of Bettie Page, with her looks.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Would this be the place to try and hunt down a half remembered comic from a few years back or is there a better thread?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

carrionman posted:

Would this be the place to try and hunt down a half remembered comic from a few years back or is there a better thread?

Yeah ask here.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Somebody asked me to help them find a comic book they read a few years ago. Pretty sure the publisher is BOOM.

They described it as a kid gets kidnapped, his parents are all broken up about it, dads becomes an alcoholic, and years later kids comes back and has been living a fantasy life and is like Conan and helps his dad.

Any ideas?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

omnibobb posted:

Somebody asked me to help them find a comic book they read a few years ago. Pretty sure the publisher is BOOM.

They described it as a kid gets kidnapped, his parents are all broken up about it, dads becomes an alcoholic, and years later kids comes back and has been living a fantasy life and is like Conan and helps his dad.

Any ideas?

Birthright

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Thanks friendo!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not the book your friend was looking for since it only started last year, but that's kind of the premise for Die by Kieron Gillen too. A group of teenage friends get sucked into an rpg world and are gone for 2 years, then reappear, down one member and unable to explain where they were.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

One of the best books I stumbled on last year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone know/have that panel where a character beats Doom, not a Doombot or a clone or a hologram or an alternate reality version? I wanna say it was Squirrel Girl...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

Anyone know/have that panel where a character beats Doom, not a Doombot or a clone or a hologram or an alternate reality version? I wanna say it was Squirrel Girl...

It was thanos. Although she did bear Doom once as well

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, thanks.

Was gonna do something slightly tasteless for MF Doom, Thanos doesn't work.

RIP

https://uproxx.com/music/mf-doom-dead-rapper-transitioned-family-statement/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Ah, thanks.

Was gonna do something slightly tasteless for MF Doom, Thanos doesn't work.

RIP

https://uproxx.com/music/mf-doom-dead-rapper-transitioned-family-statement/

Here's the most famous doom panel if it would work for what you were planning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nah, he's famous for having stand ins go on stage for him, which fits the Doombot theme. But thanks.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

This is Wally having a hallucinatory dream after being shot in Flash #49, but I can't for the life of me figure out who half of the characters are. Starfire and Phantom Lady are obvious, I'm pretty sure the two kneeling are Linda Park (right) and Raven (left, but that's me wildly guessing from the shape of her hair), the blonde of the far right is Power Girl (she speaks up on the next page), with Tina McGee and Connie Noleski beside her (the brunette and blonde, respectively).

But does anyone recognize anyone else?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Raven's the head on the bottom right of the panel, the lady in white is probably Dr Light. White hair might be Silver Sorceress, there's probably a Crimson Fox or two in there, too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wally had a lot of brief flings. Don't feel bad for not knowing who most of them are.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The one with the short hair next to Phantom Lady is probably Donna Troy during her Troia phase.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always forget that they used to draw Raven's face way more... angular, I guess is the best way to put it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The one on the far left in red looks like Supergirl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The one on the far left in red looks like Supergirl.

She did not really exist at that point. Matrix Supergirl did but she had no connection to Wally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Did Wally really get around that much? I read a good chunk of Mark Waid's Flash and he seemed like a one woman kinda guy in that. Like his sex dreams would be about the woman he was actually sleeping next to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Did Wally really get around that much? I read a good chunk of Mark Waid's Flash and he seemed like a one woman kinda guy in that. Like his sex dreams would be about the woman he was actually sleeping next to.

He did in the Loebs era. And a bit over in Teen Titans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Marvel doesn't reboot poo poo, they just pretend the bad comics didn't happen unless an author has a good take on the bad comics. DC reboots their poo poo constantly but always wants to make sure you know the terrible comics definitely happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Also Justice League Europe, Wally was pretty immature and lecherous in that book.