Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mustie1 on youtube had a video recently with a lawn tractor that had an enclosed gearbox with a chain in it, the chain had broken because one of the pins was rubbing against a gear, but the design didn't seem wrong. I guess it could be argued the machine may have lived a bit longer if the chain was visible and the PO had been able to see it had failed, I'd assume it would be more evident on an enclosed chain motorcycle because there would be bad noises and then no power being transmitted to the rear wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Having owned a couple riding mowers, the quality level of engineering on them is light years below what you’d see on any motorcycle.

Your average two stroke Russian moto like in Long Way Round will look like the space shuttle, engineering-wise compared to even a “nice” riding mower.

Its roll pins, v-belts, cotter pins and load bearing sheet metal as far as the eye can see

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes yes I also base my design decisions on showing a failure to the owner instead of expecting them to check on it... ever. Personally, when the engine starts going "tick tick tick" I know it's time to check the oil.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Look at everyone arguing about wrong ways to handle chains. Here is the one true way:

Buy a chain that complements your plastics and sprocket. For example, you can go all orange - orange chain, orange sprockets, orange plastics. Or you can go black plastics, iridium sprocket, orange chain (so people still know you rep ktm). Replace the chain when you replace plastics from riding into a tree or need to re-gear because you’re racing a hare scramble.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
right arm alt spotted Mods?!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

:greenangel:

I looked EVERYWHERE for a stupid supersprox 44t cause the only 44t sprockets I could find were black or silver and I didn't want to go to a 45t which is the only other orange anodized supersprox size outside the OEM 42t size :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

You can tell the difference because I only ever talk about ktm dirt bikes and right arm is all about motocamping on a 600lb monstrosity. I did just buy an iridium supersprox 50t rear though. To replace my orange 50t rear.

It's actually always interesting to see the stuff KTM does on dirt bikes sort of filter over to what they're doing elsewhere (and then not work because, you know, totally different). Like Yuns (I think?) posting about the tiny tank on the 390 but my 450 has a 2.1 gallon tank (and a 3.1 from IMS I've been too lazy to install). This is fine in the dirt world because all the races always have stops for fuel for the super-thirsty 2ts and the aftermarket is just much more widely accepted as a way to get bigger gas tanks so if you want to dual sport it you can be sure of decent aftermarket support.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

:redhammer:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

1996 Honda NSR250R SE with 156 miles

"This NSR was sitting in the corner of the storage space with a cover on it, and the owner had unfortunately lost the PGM-IV card. Our White Glove service had to disassemble the dash (which contains the ECU) and send it to Australia to get it reprogrammed for a new card – this took about 3 months."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. Why does it have a memory card like a PlayStation 1?

And also I thought Honda’s PGM-whatever was all fuel injection? That has carbs?

I’m so confused.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. Why does it have a memory card like a PlayStation 1?

And also I thought Honda’s PGM-whatever was all fuel injection? That has carbs?

I’m so confused.

Apparently they used them to switch to higher performance logic in the ECU, but the higher performance maps also wouldn’t work with off track things like lights and turn signals and Honda was really picky about who they’d sell the high performance unlock cards too. Seems like a really complex scheme but I guess Honda was really worried about liability or something.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Will it work with a gameshark?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Desperately searching gamespot.com for the unlimited horsepower code

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Desperately searching gamespot.com for the unlimited horsepower code

EBC95UOH is engrained in my being since I was like 10.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=201737726

2002 sv650 for 23k Kroners (2600usd) from a dealer, serviced, in Oslo.
Looks like a trade in bike they're just offloading with a get rid off it price.

The floor on full license bikes in Norway is around that. Anything cheaper has something wrong with it.

The interesting bit it that the motorcycle owning crowd is getting older in Norway.
Getting a drivers license is steadily getting more expensive and new bikes get another tax reduction this year.
I think the used prices are gonna trend downwards hard locally.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's a massive dent in the tank and it looks like they removed the crash slider without replacing it, because the mounting bracket is still there. Still, doesn't seem like a bad price for one of those?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/682531732444816

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

2500? :lol:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That's a steal.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Speaking of old Hondas

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/d/crystal-lake-1990-cbr250rr/7251338448.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: this is insanely, fantastically overpriced. Even here, the land of learner licenses and anything with a fairing being worth a billion dollars, that is a 4-5000 bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think all those “quarter liter bikes” are fairly rare in US. That Honda NSR250R posted farther up the page sold for 19k. Granted that’s a slightly different style of bike but would it sell for that much over there?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The nsr definitely would be worth around that much for a minter with the gameboy cartridge ignition, but that's like....a historically significant bike, with lots of racing pedigree (honestly disturbing performance for a 250 if you build them up a little) and that two stroke special something.

The I4's are unique and interesting and unusual, but there's no cachet beyond that. They are a 250 built like a 600SS in a shrink ray and are honestly pretty unpleasant bikes IRL most of the time.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Plus, the CBR250RR comes up for import fairly often for well less than that asking price. (I still want one)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My pick out of those is the fzr250, the engine is much smoother, the tyres are skinnier and it has the best/most cohesive chassis/motor combination.

The zxr250 predictably has the most power and the most big-bike chassis feel.

The cbr250 predictably is the best built and a solid all-rounder, in as much as such a thing is possible within the given parameters.

The gsxr250 predictably is a terrible shitter.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Where can you find CBR250RR/MC22 for sale? I check out cycletrader or eBay sometimes but it's a poo poo show. The times I have seen them they are usually around 8k. I do agree that 12k is too expensive. I was surprised by the NSR250R price, especially since it has no title, but I also had no idea what to expect either.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Lol, checked the local registry, there is only 3 fzr250 nationwide. Goodbye dream.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Goodbye dream.

:same:
I'd love to own another small fzr.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Have you looked into importing one yourself? Those guys in the AI Japan import thread make it look so easy

e: unless you guys aren't American, since I can't keep avatars straight

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's what I was saying. You can just go and import one for 8k if you want it. There are loads of them in japan.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat I forgot to follow up on that NSR250R, $19k seems a bit pricey for a bike that I'd imagine is going to be a pain in the rear end to keep running. But it's probably just going to sit in someone's garage and not get ridden at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

drat I forgot to follow up on that NSR250R, $19k seems a bit pricey for a bike that I'd imagine is going to be a pain in the rear end to keep running. But it's probably just going to sit in someone's garage and not get ridden at all.

They are super easy and nice to live with in every way except if you need a crank in which case you have a Honda shaped paperweight. Being used as learner bikes before the loophole was closed was the grim end of many an nsr, and probably part of the reason everyone wants so much for them now, but it shows you the day to day reliability is pure Honda.

Wrt mc22's: I could probably track down
running-but-dire examples for ~2k nzd and push one into a shipping container if you really want. The parts are all available and they aren't any more miserable than a normal i4 to work on, if you've got the balls.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 31, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gotten back into the bad habit of trawling Craigslist ads nearly every day, and good lord I envy some of these people's garage setups. Forget the bike, is there some way I can just rent space in your massive, pristine garage?

This phrase really leapt out at me though so I had to investigate

quote:

living room kept

I want to meet this person and find out their secrets so I can become them

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/d/las-vegas-2016-kawasaki-zx10-abs/7257122396.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The secret there is Phoenix

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s Phoenix, where your garage can also be your living room and vice versa every day of the year

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I live in Phoenix! ... guess I need to be in an actual house to make that happen.

I'm more blown away by the multiple superbikes in that picture, and how one gets to a point in life where they are able to amass ZX-10s like they were Hot Wheels, I think I'm doing something wrong

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I want to meet this person and find out their secrets so I can become them

I'll tell you his secret, but it's going to be disappointing.

There's a mirror.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno if I lived in phx I’d just get a cover for my bikes, leave them outside and invest in a fence for my yard.

It’s not like it ever rains or freezes there, minus your occasional monsoon

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dunno if I lived in phx I’d just get a cover for my bikes, leave them outside and invest in a fence for my yard.

It’s not like it ever rains or freezes

just get a plastic jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIS34U/