Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

did you mean to type that into a search engine or...?

No just an issue I read. Just imagine what it is about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Codependent Poster posted:

The whole Three Jokers thing doesn't make any sense if you look into it at all.

Batman and his crew don't realize there are multiple Jokers except now it doesn't surprise Batman and he has files on all of them and knows one of their names but he asked the question when he had omnipotence and it surprised him.

There's no point to this story. It ruins the whole "we don't know the Joker's real backstory' to "well now they were all real except now one is really for sure the answer but that's fine because you don't know his name!"

And the Jason Todd being in love with Barbara and willing to give up being Red Hood for her and being a better man and leaving it on a note that tragically gets lost is some stupid adolescent bullshit romance writing. The entire subplot with them was stupid as hell and added nothing.

This is like a story where you come up with the big revelation while high and think it's the greatest thing ever but when it's written down it doesn't make any sense and is stupid. This is Kevin Smith level writing.

i just finished this after putting it off, and all of this, jesus. this was a hit? when they do the sequel book this year and then inevitably make those an absolute i'm skipping that one!

faboks art though, very niiiiiiceeeee

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

No just an issue I read. Just imagine what it is about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
In case no one else wants to imagine what it's about, typing "1976 batman comic about illegal immigrants" into Google will tell you that it was The Brave and the Bold #127.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm sure by now Batman straight up intentionally killing someone must have been explored in a "this is still mostly like the normal DC universe" book or two, and I haven't been paying too much attention to DC comics so maybe they did it during the recent reboot spamming, but out of nowhere I suddenly got the very strong feeling that they'll have proper Bruce Wayne Batman directly kill someone in the main DC continuity within the next 10 years and make it a big deal/big event kind of thing. Not crossing that line is a very central aspect of the character, but perhaps in part because they've been so wiling to reboot I feel like another one can't be too far away, and they may as well explore the effects of a decision like that before they do one.

Off the top of my head, I think it'd be a very human/believable thing if Bat/Cat finally got married and Bruce was at least a little happy, and then someone killed Catwoman and he kills them to avenge her. I personally think it's a more interesting angle if that person isn't a big deal villain (like Joker or another prominent Rogue) but basically some crook with a gun who got a lucky shot in. Then you get to have Joker's reaction to that happening and the mindgames involved there, along with a "you broke your code for THEM but not me?" angle.

Like I said, Batman's been around forever and I'm sure he's crossed that line in all sorts of alternate universe stuff, but I don't think it's happened in the main DCU. Obviously even in the main DCU he's got a massive body count in a "I was involved but I didn't mean to kill them" kind of way. If some of the proper fans know of a time that he's fully killed a dude or gotten so close that he may as well have, I'd be interested to hear what some of those times are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Batman straight up killed people in his first appearance. He had a gun for a while early on too. He also straight up shot Darkseid in the face during Final Crisis. Also doesn't give a poo poo when anyone he teams up with kills someone in front of him for more than a single issue.

Most in character part of Three Jokers is him caring more about how Jason felt after killing a Joker than caring about Jason killing a Joker.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Justice League by Priest from a year or two ago was a great book about Batman killing someone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is less believable batman or his family do not kill.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I think the opposite. If he killed then he'd literally be what his enemies say he is. The only way the character works is if he doesn't kill. Why would gordon ever work with him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Batman and Superman refusing to kill is a vital component to both characters.

It's less believable that Batman hasn't rigged up access to the Phantom Zone so he can toss his baddies in there.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

Batman and Superman refusing to kill is a vital component to both characters.

It's less believable that Batman hasn't rigged up access to the Phantom Zone so he can toss his baddies in there.

from a storytelling perspective, Arkham and whatever the current Gotham prison is serve a functionally identical purpose, really. Just a hole to stick a guy into until you need them to escape

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes well what I am saying is the PZ is nearly inescapable.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Batman throwing his baddies into the Phantom Zone is a recipe for disaster. Just go watch The Lego Batman Movie. :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like Batman not killing but over the years thanks to Miller's influence the poo poo he does to you is worse than killing you a lot of the time and I hate that too. No crippler Batman. No torturer Batman. Hate that poo poo. Not only cause it sucks that Batman paralyzes muggers and poo poo, but it's even more nonsensical that he doesn't do it to other more dangerous people. If ninjaing a guy into being paralyzed is on the table, why hasn't he done it to the Joker? Batman kind of needs to be the 70s version imho. This is why Morrison's Batman is the only good modern Batman. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I love that bug in arkham asylum where you knock out thugs by punching them in the junk.

I love it even more that it not only didn't get patched out but replicated in every other arkham game, basically canonizing it into Batman's arsenal.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman kind of needs to be the 70s version imho. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Agreed. I like Detective Batman a lot better than grim dark world-coming-to-an-end Batman.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

A++ would attend again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder if the Joker book will be just the comedy Harley Quinn book, or if it will just a just a book about a serial killer. I do not have high hopes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Batman not killing is a good thing. Upping the body count committed by his villains is a bad thing. Every time Joker goes around and kills thousands of people (at least twice a year if not more) and Batman does not kill him just makes Batman look bad. If the Batman didn't kill the Joker and the Joker didn't have a storyline every few months killing thousands of people it would be fine.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like Batman not killing but over the years thanks to Miller's influence the poo poo he does to you is worse than killing you a lot of the time and I hate that too. No crippler Batman. No torturer Batman. Hate that poo poo. Not only cause it sucks that Batman paralyzes muggers and poo poo, but it's even more nonsensical that he doesn't do it to other more dangerous people. If ninjaing a guy into being paralyzed is on the table, why hasn't he done it to the Joker? Batman kind of needs to be the 70s version imho. This is why Morrison's Batman is the only good modern Batman. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

:hai:

I love TDKR but I don't like that the status quo for Batman has started to lean so close to it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/MangaMogura/status/1339232270922756097

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I don't know how to feel about this

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

that tweet is the first time I've laughed at anything involving the Joker in like a decade and change

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One thing I now noticed and didn't pick on initially is that the Joker in that pic looks to be pained white on only his face rather than the full body treatment from the acid dip that everyone knows.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. Huh. Agree, don't know what to think of that. It could be some great comedy, which frankly I feel the Joker has been lacking for a while.

I've said it before, they should bring back gangster Joker, and now I have the image of the Joker robbing a bank with a baby in a carrier. "Look, Bats, you try finding a babysitter on short notice!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'll be Gokudou but in Gotham.

I would guess that this version would something like Romero+earlier BTAS Jokers but probably with some new wholesale characterization.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hope he's full on the worst poo poo about modern Joker. Kills a hundred people in the first panel. But he is also very sincerely and earnestly trying to raise this kid in his spare time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hope he's full on the worst poo poo about modern Joker. Kills a hundred people in the first panel. But he is also very sincerely and earnestly trying to raise this kid in his spare time.

Hannibal Lector, but he also tells Dad Jokes.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

catlord posted:

Huh. Huh. Agree, don't know what to think of that. It could be some great comedy, which frankly I feel the Joker has been lacking for a while.

I've said it before, they should bring back gangster Joker, and now I have the image of the Joker robbing a bank with a baby in a carrier. "Look, Bats, you try finding a babysitter on short notice!"
"The crazy thing is that finding a family helped cure my criminal insanity, but now that my wife's in the hospital with Covid I have to rob banks *JUST* to make ends meet with the kid!"

Then he turns to the teller he's holding at gunpoint and says "Some society we live in, am I right?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Hannibal Lector, but he also tells Dad Jokes.

Silent panels of the Joker calmly walking through a grocery store full of corpses, getting to the formula, then being pissed off at himself for killing all the employees because he's not sure what kind he needs to get.

"ketchup...catsup..." But it's the Joker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Father Wendigo posted:

"The crazy thing is that finding a family helped cure my criminal insanity, but now that my wife's in the hospital with Covid I have to rob banks *JUST* to make ends meet with the kid!"

Then he turns to the teller he's holding at gunpoint and says "Some society we live in, am I right?"

This reminds me that the cartoon Harley Quinn's joker having a brief flirtation with being an anti hero because he unironically enjoyed his life with his normal gf and her kid was the most interesting thing done with the character since Lego Batman had him be gay

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alan Tudyk Joker is the very best version of the character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

site posted:

This reminds me that the cartoon Harley Quinn's joker having a brief flirtation with being an anti hero because he unironically enjoyed his life with his normal gf and her kid was the most interesting thing done with the character since Lego Batman had him be gay

I definitely think there might be shades of this as well.

But we'll see. It's manga so who knows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Alan Tudyk Joker is the very best version of the character.

That's the red hood cartoon right? Did a good job of balancing "zany" and "mass murderer"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's the red hood cartoon right? Did a good job of balancing "zany" and "mass murderer"

No that was Bender. Tudyk voiced the Joker on the Harley cartoon.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In the immediate wake of CoIE Batman comics did have a much more lax attitude, briefly, towards Batman at least failing to prevent or inadvertently causing people to die. I tend to think of this as a Jim Starlin thing but I may be unfair here-- certainly the most notorious example is the end of "Ten Nights of the Beast" which is sort of just casually violent and fatal more broadly, ie., the KGBeast's colleague Salari kind of just blows himself up because Robin kicks him into a building while he's shooting a bazooka of some kind. Batman #422, the back end of a two-parter immediately afterwards, also ends up with the villain dead, stabbed to death by a woman he's attempting to abduct. #424 hinges on a rapist with diplomatic immunity who Robin ambiguously pushes off a balcony or lets fall off a balcony to his death, and #425 has a pretty brutal fight-scene in a junk-yard in which Batman maneuvers two guys into killing each other with their machine-guns, and ends, again, with Batman not directly killing the antagonist but not doing much to stop him from getting squashed under a pile of wrecked cars. #430 ends with the antagonist being killed by a police sniper-- not really Batman's fault but again, in this fairly brief run most issues end with the bad-guy somewhat ghoulishly killed.

So-- I guess the inference to me is that following Crisis and Year One DC was open, at least, to Batman stories in which Batman would be placed in situations where death happened and where his enemies were often killed while hewing to the letter of "Batman doesn't kill." This was backed off on almost immediately after Starlin left with #430, I think, although again I could be quite wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah, the Doctor Who approach to pacifism "It's OK if the hero arranges the deathtrap, as long as the bad guy is technically the one pulling the trigger"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Joker from the Harley show is good largely thanks to everyone else being extra terrible so that he seems less noteworthy, along with his more personal beef with Harley being the focus of "This is why this guy is an rear end in a top hat" instead of a constantly inflating killcount, or increasingly gruesome murder scenes. Also Tudyk helps.

but in more broad strokes

Madkal posted:

Batman not killing is a good thing. Upping the body count committed by his villains is a bad thing. Every time Joker goes around and kills thousands of people (at least twice a year if not more) and Batman does not kill him just makes Batman look bad. If the Batman didn't kill the Joker and the Joker didn't have a storyline every few months killing thousands of people it would be fine.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, the Doctor Who approach to pacifism "It's OK if the hero arranges the deathtrap, as long as the bad guy is technically the one pulling the trigger"

I've recently starting watching Dr. Who, starting with Nine. I'm two seasons in and every couple episodes I swear I'm turning to the fiancee and going 'I thought the Doctor was supposed to be a pacifist?'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like "The Joker has a storyline where he kills a thousand people every few months "is more a matter of perception than, like, things that actually happen in the comics. What was the last notable thing Joker story before Joker War?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OnimaruXLR posted:

Joker from the Harley show is good largely thanks to everyone else being extra terrible so that he seems less noteworthy, along with his more personal beef with Harley being the focus of "This is why this guy is an rear end in a top hat" instead of a constantly inflating killcount, or increasingly gruesome murder scenes. Also Tudyk helps.

but in more broad strokes

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, the husbando storyline came after he took over gotham and turned it into murderworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like "The Joker has a storyline where he kills a thousand people every few months "is more a matter of perception than, like, things that actually happen in the comics. What was the last notable thing Joker story before Joker War?

Death of the Family.