Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I haven't had to sign for anything from any courier since COVID started and boxes regularly get left in front of my door in the hallway where anyone can access it. Luckily nobody has stolen anything as far as I know. I was home when my PS5 was delivered, but they just left it in front of my door and knocked and walked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Firstborn posted:

Still no shipping info on the Wal-Mart drop! Still seeing a ton of people on Reddit who ordered the same day as me (12/15) getting their PS5 delivered to them this week!

The one I ordered from that drop is out for delivery today, as a data point.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Firstborn posted:

Still no shipping info on the Wal-Mart drop! Still seeing a ton of people on Reddit who ordered the same day as me (12/15) getting their PS5 delivered to them this week!

Again, have you signed up for FedEx Delivery Manager? This will have shipping info before Walmart’s website

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I have. I do appreciate the help though, my fellow goon.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like amazon's take a picture approach.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I avoid FedEx whenever possible, I dunno what's up with them but they are universally awful IME. UPS and USPS are great for the most part, they always leave packages at our back door where they are out of the weather and less likely to get stolen.

FedEx will just drive by and either claim they delivered when they didn't or claim that no one was home, I've literally watched the guy walk up with a pre-filled "You weren't home" note and stick it on the door and attempt to leave, only for me to open the door and make them get my package, even had one guy complain about me being a pain in the rear end for actually wanting my package. One of the few times they "delivered" something it involved them forging the signature and throwing the package into our driveway from their truck as they drove by.

gently caress FedEx.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Agrias120 posted:

The one I ordered from that drop is out for delivery today, as a data point.

When did you order on that date? I think there were 5 waves IIRC.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

a new study bible! posted:

When did you order on that date? I think there were 5 waves IIRC.

I ordered at 3pm Eastern on the 15th.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I got in at the 3:20 wave, if it matters. Probably doesn't. I'm in Louisiana.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Um hey guys FedEx says it'll be here tomorrow suddenly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Um hey guys FedEx says it'll be here tomorrow suddenly.

Prepare yourself for disappointment just in case, FedEx sucks about delivery times.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I hear you. I wish I could just pick it up and skip the bullshit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I got it on the 15th on what was I think the second to last wave of the day (2:40 CST I think) and it's still set for Jan. 8. I also checked my bank account and the pending charge disappeared and wasn't charged so I don't know if I should be concerned. It's still set to preparing order on my Walmart account though. Should I be worried that the pending charge isn't there anymore?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I worried too, dude. They did the same thing to me. Don't worry about it, it means nothing.

I was Richard Lewising about "oh gently caress they refunded it they cancelled it they oversold it" but it's fine. And for note, I also ordered a loving bedframe and they did the same thing as far as pending/disappears.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Prepare yourself for disappointment just in case, FedEx sucks about delivery times.

Pointing out the important part.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

"You yada yada'd the best part!"

"I mentioned Spider-Man"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I avoid FedEx whenever possible, I dunno what's up with them but they are universally awful IME. UPS and USPS are great for the most part, they always leave packages at our back door where they are out of the weather and less likely to get stolen.

FedEx will just drive by and either claim they delivered when they didn't or claim that no one was home, I've literally watched the guy walk up with a pre-filled "You weren't home" note and stick it on the door and attempt to leave, only for me to open the door and make them get my package, even had one guy complain about me being a pain in the rear end for actually wanting my package. One of the few times they "delivered" something it involved them forging the signature and throwing the package into our driveway from their truck as they drove by.

gently caress FedEx.

FedEx isn't universally bad here... but when they are they are.

When I pop on Nextdoor it's constantly people complaining about FedEx packages being marked as delivered but they never get them until a day or 3 later. It's definitely happened to me too. It's clear they get behind and just mark packages as delivered and hope people don't care when they can catch up and *actually* deliver them later.

They are completely unable to pay attention to delivery windows (that I pay for) and have never, even ONCE, managed to hit them on time. They consistently just fake sign for things that are signature required (and I'm talking way before COVID) and deliver things like my brand new TV by just dumping it in the driveway. My packages are also always way more damaged than UPS.

I do feel like things have gotten better since the pandemic ironically, but before then it was def 50/50.

Oh and on a hilarious note (and not necessarily FedEx's fault), they delivered my 6 year old daughter's "Santa" present the other day... just as she happened to be outside checking the mail. It's a hoverboard and came just in the product box with a shipping label (gee thanks Walmart).

You can see the driver's face when he pops out and my kid comes running up "WHAT IS THAT?!?!?" and he's just like figuring it out in realtime what's happening "oh fuckkkkk...... uhhhhhh I don't know what it is byeeeee!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BonoMan posted:

they delivered my 6 year old daughter's "Santa" present the other day... just as she happened to be outside checking the mail. It's a hoverboard
I was really excited for a moment and then I googled it and now I'm just sad. That is not a hoverboard. :mad:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bradzilla posted:

Did the physical PS4 upgrade to PS5 issue get fixed? I installed MK11 and upgraded to the PS5 version. I've taken the disc out and put it back in, and it hasn't ever tried to install the PS4 version. This could maybe just be because MK11 has an install disc and a play disc but I'm not sure.
Nope, still happening with any PS4 disc with a PS5 upgrade. At least coming back from rest mode while in-game in PS5 Assassin's Creed Valhalla.
They really need to patch a setting like "always ask me before installing the disc in the drive" paired with "always prioritize PS5 versions of a game on the main menu."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Casnorf posted:

FedEx stops caring if there's a signature. The worst that'll happen is they'll tell the customer to try to locate the signer.

Y'know, I have this bridge to sell you.

100% not true, also fedex stops caring once it’s on the truck as then it’s on the contractor if they gently caress up. As fedex does not actually own the trucks nor do the truck drivers work for fedex

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

100% not true, also fedex stops caring once it’s on the truck as then it’s on the contractor if they gently caress up. As fedex does not actually own the trucks nor do the truck drivers work for fedex

FedEx is an airline, not a delivery company.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lumpy posted:

FedEx is an airline, not a delivery company.

Exactly, all the deliveries are handled by contractors. It would seem more efficient to handle it under one administrative umbrella but fedex is not a particularly well run.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

CharlestheHammer posted:

If this were actually true you'd see scams like the ones owner/operators do a lot, so they never pay taxes. Each corporation is legally distinct from the previous one so as long as you're saving more than incorporation fees in taxes (and as an o/o you better be) its worth it. In this case, you could just abscond with a truckload if you think it's worth it, dissolve the company and transfer its assets to someone you know to whom you have a paperwork debt. FedEx couldn't touch you, the person, and the company doesn't exist, so the best they can do is hassle the next owner of the stolen assets who can claim they were a debtor.

I highly recommend you try crimesing, my friend, since I've given you explicit instructions on how to do so. Surely you are much smarter than all the guys who taught me.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

How are you all checking your order with FedEx delivery manager? My Walmart order still just says Preparing Order and has no tracking number or anything like that. It still shows as arriving 1/9 and I got mine in the first wave on 12/15

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Casnorf posted:

If this were actually true you'd see scams like the ones owner/operators do a lot, so they never pay taxes. Each corporation is legally distinct from the previous one so as long as you're saving more than incorporation fees in taxes (and as an o/o you better be) its worth it. In this case, you could just abscond with a truckload if you think it's worth it, dissolve the company and transfer its assets to someone you know to whom you have a paperwork debt. FedEx couldn't touch you, the person, and the company doesn't exist, so the best they can do is hassle the next owner of the stolen assets who can claim they were a debtor.

I highly recommend you try crimesing, my friend, since I've given you explicit instructions on how to do so. Surely you are much smarter than all the guys who taught me.

I mean I got my info directly from the contractor I know from when I worked there so it would seem I am quite a bit smarter. Don’t have that reckless confidence tho

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

In Ukraine fedex hands over to a nice private country-wide service. But DHL blows my mind how they can deliver from anywhere in the world in just a few days.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

Exactly, all the deliveries are handled by contractors. It would seem more efficient to handle it under one administrative umbrella but fedex is not a particularly well run.

It's because as an airline, they get some insane tax benefits, so it benefits them greatly to be that way.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Fed Ex sent me an email about about re-directing/holding the package at a facility. You guys think that is better/more safe/more accurate?? I'm bad at this sorry for bad questions

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Looks like best buy is releasing some PS5 stock every couple of minutes for the next little while.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Fed Ex sent me an email about about re-directing/holding the package at a facility. You guys think that is better/more safe/more accurate?? I'm bad at this sorry for bad questions

I move a lot of expensive work poo poo w/ FedEx, and I always use hold for pickup.

Kind of sucks around busy times, but if it shows up as being held at location, it is actually there. Sometimes buried, but there.

I usually use airport locations, but when I'm sending stuff to myself in another state (flying for contract gig) and I'm arriving late, I'll send it to a FedEx office (Kinkos). They're open later, but the staff usually aren't as good.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I just secured a 3rd PS5 (I'm not flipping them, 1 for me, 2 for friends). I walked in and bought one on launch day at Target for myself (lol), got one through Gamestop last week, and one today through Best Buy. Here's what's been working for me to secure these previous two.

Install the Octoshop chrome extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/octoshop-in-stock-alerts/ahajkaoongodcmoohkcceoklokapadfh?hl=en-US

Use the extension to set up notifications for when stock goes live. I have it set to ultra frequency and the longest you can have it run is 7 days, so just renew it when it lapses.

Here's a video tutorial on how to set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ORhFWsirwI

When you get a notification (or see Wario64 or Solelinks tweet) click the Octoshop extension icon and you should have a notification there.

Click the notification and it will take you to a page that has an AUTO ADD TO CART button. Use it! If you're quick enough on the notification the auto add button will save you the precious time you need to complete check out.

This has worked for a few friends and for me twice, so it's a fairly proven method. Godspeed goons. Go get your big bois.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 21, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone had issues with their PS5 failing to shut down? A couple of times the white light has been flashing forever when I choose power off and I've had to hold the power button to restart. I think it might be related to me plugging in an USB hard drive with media on it, I've only had it happen when that was connected. No problems when it's just my PSVR and camera, and extended storage USB HD connected.

bradzilla posted:

Did the physical PS4 upgrade to PS5 issue get fixed? I installed MK11 and upgraded to the PS5 version. I've taken the disc out and put it back in, and it hasn't ever tried to install the PS4 version. This could maybe just be because MK11 has an install disc and a play disc but I'm not sure.

I've not had this issue with Watch Dogs or with Valhalla. It started installing the PS4 versions initially, but I cancelled them and it hasn't tried doing it again when I re-insert the disc.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m kinda surprised the docking station and media remote are as hard to find as the console itself. Was hoping to pick those up before my Walmart order comes.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The media remote is kinda lovely anyway. It's a Roku knockoff, complete with non-programmable app launcher buttons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bradzilla posted:

The media remote is kinda lovely anyway. It's a Roku knockoff, complete with non-programmable app launcher buttons.

Yeah I got it when it was available without even looking at it. Got it, opened it up and had the exact same thought as you and returned it. I miss the days of universal remotes actually combining multiple remotes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
oops, wrong thread.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

bradzilla posted:

Well that sucks, but I mostly want it because half the time I use my console for streaming and blu rays and I hate using controllers for media.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Well that sucks, but I mostly want it because half the time I use my console for streaming and blu rays and I hate using controllers for media.

Yeah I like the remote, I got a lot of use out of the xbox 360 one, and I missed having one on the PS4. It's solidly made and the volume controls work on my tv. The days of waking up the controller every time you want to pause the thing you are watching are gone.

Wish you could change the app buttons though.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

marktheando posted:

Anyone had issues with their PS5 failing to shut down?

The first day I'd set mine up. Just after installing a bunch of games. Every time I tried restarting or shutting down, it would just stall. Eventually performed a factory reset, started over again and haven't had a problem since. No external devices here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Firstborn posted:

I got in at the 3:20 wave, if it matters. Probably doesn't. I'm in Louisiana.

I got in on the final wave... Think it was 3:40. No movement here yet. I'm in Virginia.