Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Yeah thats better than nothing but indoors close together is exposure mask or not.

So you should only catch a little covid. As a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Not a Children posted:

But it's still nuts to go, right? I'm not the crazy one here?

You are absolutely not the crazy one. You can't protect your gym buddies but you can save yourself and your loved ones.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

facetoucher cat posted:

I called this in March maybe? Idk time isn't real

someone back then also said face mask fetishes and I still think about it

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Tzen posted:

lol we'll be starting 2021 with death waves, awesome.

I swear I doom scrolled through a couple pages back about some one with Roni literally dying on a flight and then they also aerosolized his dead body and wiped it down and said lol it’s fine.

not sure if flying is a good idea right now.

idk

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Not a Children posted:

Most people I know who belong to my old climbing gym have gone back by now and seem totally comfortable with it.

Masking is enforced, locker rooms are closed, and you have to make appointments for a 1-hour climbing window with severely reduced capacity.

It's not safe to do anything indoors during a pandemic featuring an 'airborn' virus. Going to work, having to feed yourself these sort of things are 'necessary'. But we all know that... so your real question:

Most of the things outside of the house I used to do indoors required too many changes for me to think they would be worth the risk (i do not climb though).
Despite the changes required I have seen people swear up and down that despite those precautions these activities are worth the risk and fun etc and inevitably when people start getting sick it turns out that precautions weren't really that serious and/or people normalized themselves into standing around chatting and socializing like they used to.

It's a pandemic, we shouldn't be doing these things right now. Doing some neo-liberal safety dance and normalizing yourself into hanging out with your friends is probably not a good idea.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Not a Children posted:

Most people I know who belong to my old climbing gym have gone back by now and seem totally comfortable with it.

Masking is enforced, locker rooms are closed, and you have to make appointments for a 1-hour climbing window with severely reduced capacity.

if the gym is in any way shared it is still nuts, yes.

additionally if you were to injure yourself you might find yourself hanging out in an ER or Urgent Care where your chances of sharing air with someone who is Covid positive goes through the drat roof.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the next flight was delayed for 5 minutes for deep cleaning

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
[

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Feb 17, 2021

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I meant comparing the level of genetic sequencing being done, since you said the UK was advanced.

ah well, the uk specifically randomly samples something like 10% of all positive tests in the entire country because of the cog-uk. I say that they're more advanced because there really aren't any other countries providing continuous sequencing at that level that i know of, i know the us has SPHERES but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the level of coverage that the uk's analog has (i don't think they even have labs setup in all states here)

beyond genomic surveillance others are typically performing sporadic sequencing to get snapshots of what the prevalent strains are in other countries like here or lookbacks on outbreaks during a period of time like here

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

fosborb posted:

someone back then also said face mask fetishes and I still think about it

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Not a Children posted:

i think that atlantic article went into good detail why being in an enclosed space for any period of time is insane with this virus

it's not that people are uniformly spreading some virus bit by bit when they are sick, only something like 20% of people are causing the vast majority of infections

and when that person shows up they are just emitting an absolute shitton of virus and cause almost the entire indoor area they were in to get infected

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1341061360021610499?s=19

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Not a Children posted:

yeah, it’s still nuts to go.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Do we know anything about this new strain?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mourne posted:

I swear I doom scrolled through a couple pages back about some one with Roni literally dying on a flight and then they also aerosolized his dead body and wiped it down and said lol it’s fine.

:eyepop:

Next-Gen posted:

ah well, the uk specifically randomly samples something like 10% of all positive tests in the entire country because of the cog-uk. I say that they're more advanced because there really aren't any other countries providing continuous sequencing at that level that i know of, i know the us has SPHERES but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the level of coverage that the uk's analog has (i don't think they even have labs setup in all states here)

beyond genomic surveillance others are typically performing sporadic sequencing to get snapshots of what the prevalent strains are in other countries like here or lookbacks on outbreaks during a period of time like here
Pingui mentioned 25% sequencing here in Denmark earlier in the thread, so I'm really just trying to keep perfidious Albion down.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Not a Children posted:

How many people are inside at a time? How's the ventilation? It could be nuts to go, it could not be, but the devil is in the details.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

ram dass in hell posted:

clapton is a long time not locking things enthusiast

Haha

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

durrneez posted:

yeah, it’s still nuts to go.

Its pretty funny to me how much mental gymnastics people do to convince themselves exercise is a necessary activity in plague times

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its pretty funny to me how much mental gymnastics people do to convince themselves exercise is a necessary activity in plague times

hey man

these gains etc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gotta exercise your mind too.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

haha, when i got the vaccine they told me to refrain from loving women of child bearing age. they're just being careful. "isn't known" isn't the same thing as "will kill your child."

If I wasn't a careful person I wouldn't be waiting on the vaccine in the first place!

I can't wait to argue about whether it's safe to send my kid to kindergarten next year.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

exercise is a necessity for mental health, especially where I am (MN) where right now it gets dark at 3:30 pm and also quite cold

appropriately enough today is the "shortest" day of the year!

the effect of exercise on reducing depression is pretty well established

note that i'm talking about running or biking which you can do safely now, not going into a gym or some other stupid poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve Been walking outside like 90 mins a day

haven’t lifted a weight since March :(

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

moderna vaccine arriving this week for the frontline workers. yay. nice to finally have something small to celebrate :unsmith:

also, the number of hospitalized covid patients we have is down about 20% from a week ago. so, that's kind of good too

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
My anxiety is so bad right now I had to turn off Antiques Roadshow bc it was too high impact. Put on a stream of a fireplace crackling, it's about my speed

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

my husband saw that the pool is open for lap swim and that one must make an appointment and there is a cap on the number of people

and he felt super safe

“the chlorine will kill it!” he said. “there will be less people!” he said

and i was like, “okay yeah but what happens when the person in the next lane over spits into your loving mouth when you’re passing each other??”

i miss swimming too but man nothing can convince me to go to a public pool

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

facetoucher cat posted:

My anxiety is so bad right now I had to turn off Antiques Roadshow bc it was too high impact. Put on a stream of a fireplace crackling, it's about my speed

sorry friend

I’ve been feeling it bad too . lots of lying in the dark

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

i hear that marco rubio sold the sword of chang to the virus in exchange for immunity. chang will be unleashed

itshappening.gif but george h.w. bush instead of ron paul

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

facetoucher cat posted:

:glomp:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

actionjackson posted:

exercise is a necessity for mental health, especially where I am (MN) where right now it gets dark at 3:30 pm and also quite cold

appropriately enough today is the "shortest" day of the year!

the effect of exercise on reducing depression is pretty well established

note that i'm talking about running or biking which you can do safely now, not going into a gym or some other stupid poo poo

Thinking about this post as I walk past another group of runners or bikers or walkers who clearly dont live together without masks. It gets dark at 4 here too, doesn't change poo poo.

How do people who physically can't exercise have good mental health or are they just hosed?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

I walk about 4 miles a day just pacing around my apartment. I've unlocked Pokémon eggs bc of it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

uber_stoat posted:

haha, when i got the vaccine they told me to refrain from loving women of child bearing age. they're just being careful. "isn't known" isn't the same thing as "will kill your child."

Gilfs only

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hehe. haha.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

restaurants don’t have rights lmao

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

I would not go to any sort of indoor gym right now regardless of the precautions being taken.

Just to push back on this, it is actually possible to create safe indoor gyms but you need to some rearranging, have guidelines, and make ventilation the highest priority.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/us/gym-ventilation-covid-trnd/index.html

This gym consulted civil engineers with expertise in viral transmission, did some renovations, and did fine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thinking about this post as I walk past another group of runners or bikers or walkers who clearly dont live together without masks. It gets dark at 4 here too, doesn't change poo poo.

How do people who physically can't exercise have good mental health or are they just hosed?

are you denying seasonal affective disorder is a real thing or what

I run in the winter, but I stay way the gently caress away from everyone, like I'll cross the street well in advance if someone else is coming the other way on the sidewalk. There's very few people out right now though anyway, because you know, MN winter.

I never said those who can't physically exercise all have terrible mental health, I said the beneficial effect of exercise on mental health is well established. Even if all you can do is walk, or you have some exercise you can do at home, it all helps.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

durrneez posted:

my husband saw that the pool is open for lap swim and that one must make an appointment and there is a cap on the number of people

and he felt super safe

“the chlorine will kill it!” he said. “there will be less people!” he said

and i was like, “okay yeah but what happens when the person in the next lane over spits into your loving mouth when you’re passing each other??”

i miss swimming too but man nothing can convince me to go to a public pool

so are you the lane spitter or did this happen to u

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do we know anything about this new strain?

It's your old 'rona, now with 70% more contagion

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

sorry friend

I’ve been feeling it bad too . lots of lying in the dark

I drove around a park earlier to scope out how many people were there, I had a desire to go sad-jogging. It was a low number but zero masks. I turned around and came home only to get winded by walking up 3 flights of stairs so it's nice that I've lost all of my stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:eyepop:

Pingui mentioned 25% sequencing here in Denmark earlier in the thread, so I'm really just trying to keep perfidious Albion down.

they're really that high? that is really interesting, i hadn't seen much on it, i'll have to go looking

i know there's also https://www.gisaid.org/ which shares the genomic data between countries and the massive amount of mutations being tracked