Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Can you copy the photos library file to the external drive if you’re moving to a new Mac? That will preserve your albums, edits, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not moving to a new Mac. Not yet at least, so exports are the way to go.

I was hoping for something more elegant than command A and dragging but it'll do.

Can't really believe I'm selling this thing for a quarter of what I paid for it 9 years ago. Macs stand the test of time pretty well. I did upgrade to an SSD though, no way the mechanical drive was going to last that long.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What could be more elegant than dragging and dropping?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Jesus christ Apple

Remember that iCloud Mail bug / behavior I mentioned? Where clicking on a message immediately gives you a "CANNOT RETRIEVE THIS MESSAGE" popup dialog? And keeps doing it for like the first five or six times you hit-Enter-to-dismiss-the-dialog-press-down-to-select-an-already-loaded-message-press-up-to-try-the-broken-message-again-CANNOT-RETRIEVE-THIS-MESSAGE etc?

Well now in the new version of Safari, hitting Enter does not just dismiss the dialog, it also pops up a (blank) viewer window for the selected, errored email.

So then I have to close THAT window, adding yet ANOTHER step to my stupid hamster keyboard dance

Just to i don't know, GET EMAIL

a function that had been working fine since 1992

I know nobody's on tenterhooks for an update about this issue but it appears to be working just fine now. I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed after all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One thing to keep in mind if you drag and drop from Photos, I’m not sure it properly preserves Live Photos if that’s a big deal for you. It might now on HEIC but I’m not certain

Violator
May 15, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

One thing to keep in mind if you drag and drop from Photos, I’m not sure it properly preserves Live Photos if that’s a big deal for you. It might now on HEIC but I’m not certain

Hmm, good point. Last time I did an export I think those had to be exported as movies.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

What could be more elegant than dragging and dropping?

an 'export photos to folder' option?

a detailed transfer window that tells you transfer speed and estimated time remaining instead of a 20x20 pixel pie chart in the upper corner of the photos app?

I like MacOS but they really hate giving you information like this. when they first made that change I think I exported a video from Final Cut like 10 times wondering what the gently caress it was doing before I noticed the pie-chart and then the queue of 10 exports that were choking the CPU.

e:my concern is that exporting 30GB+ of photos will probably have to be done in batches because if it hangs or crashes I wont know where it got up to and will have to start again. theres no detailed error or log of what is/was completed.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 17, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A lot of "ideal world" UIs just completely forget to take into account processing time, and just assume they exist in a universe where all actions take place instantaneously

And persist in this assumption years past the time when you are using drag-and-drop to copy 43,011,233 files totalling 5.6 TB from one external drive to another in the Finder

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The whitespace overload of big sur is a lot more palatable on a 4k screen IMO. It's actually quite an improvement IMO. Probably not so on 13".

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I mean, what's your end goal for all the photos? If you've moving to Google Photos or some other dedicated system there'll probably be a dedicated import app that preserves albums and everything

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TACD posted:

I mean, what's your end goal for all the photos? If you've moving to Google Photos or some other dedicated system there'll probably be a dedicated import app that preserves albums and everything

I just want the photos dumped out onto my NAS. I havent really got another solution for managing them so I will explore options later.

Im moving to a Dell XPS running win10, but would like to keep it platform agnostic as possible so I can switch back to a macbook later on.

Ideally I'd like the albums to be maintained on export but if thats not possible I can just do it folder by folder. I mostly organise photos by event and then a dump of my icloud photos off my phone for each year.

come to think of it, its probably way more than 30GB since theres photos from back whne I had an iphone 4 in there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Can't you just move your entire ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary package to whatever new destination you like, or have they changed up how that works in later versions?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tippis posted:

Can't you just move your entire ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary package to whatever new destination you like, or have they changed up how that works in later versions?

Can you get the individual photos from that? I think that’s what they were looking to do

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I mean, if you just want the photos on an external drive, that should do it in a single operation — you can always dig through it and pick out the individual photos later, or just open it up on a different computer and keep adding to the pile. But again, that's assuming they haven't done like with some other apps and hidden all the actual content in a sandboxed container for some reason.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tippis posted:

I mean, if you just want the photos on an external drive, that should do it in a single operation — you can always dig through it and pick out the individual photos later, or just open it up on a different computer and keep adding to the pile. But again, that's assuming they haven't done like with some other apps and hidden all the actual content in a sandboxed container for some reason.

I do not like my chances of my photos.app library being viewable on a windows computer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Don’t windows computers just transparently show MacOS packages as folders? I swear my FCP libraries are just folders with xmls and the raw media files to my desktop.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tuyop posted:

Don’t windows computers just transparently show MacOS packages as folders? I swear my FCP libraries are just folders with xmls and the raw media files to my desktop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8408162

turns out that I was making a (reasonably safe) assumption that was incorrect.

I might do a dump of the library to my NAS and then keep the library 'file' on an external SSD or something should I come back to Mac.

this is a good thing, I genuinely would have thought that it wasnt possible to view it, although there is lots of edits and it doesnt seem to just give you the 'edit' of the photo in the location of the original, its in another folder.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Why not just migrate it to lightroom, which works on both? Theres a method of doing it, and fromthere you could just move the library and the files

Adobe is a gently caress but at least it works on several platforms and lightroom is at least somewhat supported.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I finally got around to upgrading my MBP to Big Sur and I have a Siri question: is macOS Siri still the aggressively awful desktop version, or do we get access to iOS Siri now?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
+1 for Lightroom for this (very specific) case

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Okay what I want to know is why macos' multi monitor support is so bad and what I can do to make it work better.

"displays have separate spaces" OFF: mostly what I want, where you can have windows in between the two monitors, but youtube fullscreen on one monitor blacks out the other monitor.

"displays have separate spaces" ON: can't have windows between two monitors, and it just cuts off the window at the border.

all I want is to be able to have windows between the monitors, but also be able to watch videos and use the second monitor at the same time. I don't even care about having a menu on the second monitor or anything.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Just upgraded to Big Sur last night and have been getting familiar with the changes. Two things: does anyone know how to remove the "Favorites" category on the left menu in the default Mail app? I don't have any favorite folders but it still displays the word taking up space. Also, is there a way to make the sidecar/handoff icon appear on the left side of the dock again? I'm assuming the right side is the way Apple wants it now just wondering if there was a way to change it back.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
most of us have probably seen some of the little easter eggs/attention to detail apple packs into its icons and design, but i discovered this in the mail.app icon today (noticed it when i accidentally set my 4k display to scale at 1080p)

they pay attention to the little details even if nobody might see them

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Have a Logitech G305 where the forward/back buttons work in web browsing, but not Finder or anywhere else. There are a number of back-button enhancement tools for getting these to work more universally, which one is regarded as the best?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Have a Logitech G305 where the forward/back buttons work in web browsing, but not Finder or anywhere else. There are a number of back-button enhancement tools for getting these to work more universally, which one is regarded as the best?

p sure bettertouchtool will let you do that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two quick questions.

First. Is there an FPS counter similar to FRAPS? I am trying to run some benchmarks but I can't find any software to check it.

Second. Since Rosetta 2 is emulating x86 why couldn't it also emulate the 32 bit stuff?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Two quick questions.

First. Is there an FPS counter similar to FRAPS? I am trying to run some benchmarks but I can't find any software to check it.

Second. Since Rosetta 2 is emulating x86 why couldn't it also emulate the 32 bit stuff?

32 bit app support was dropped in the version prior so this is consistent with that. i think the best explanation you're going to get as to why that happened is something to do with dropping legacy cruft, or being a precursor to rosetta 2 so they wouldn't have to include 32 bit support in it which would prolong development

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

32 bit app support was dropped in the version prior so this is consistent with that. i think the best explanation you're going to get as to why that happened is something to do with dropping legacy cruft, or being a precursor to rosetta 2 so they wouldn't have to include 32 bit support in it which would prolong development

Yeah that makes sense. Still would have been cool though!

Anyone know anything about an FPS monitor? This M1 graphics chip is pretty drat legit.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Hello Spaceman posted:

p sure bettertouchtool will let you do that

Thanks, just can't get it to recognize the back/forward buttons though. Consistent back/forward control and screen recording with output audio (as in, not installing a $60 kernel extension) are my two annoyances since moving to OSX atm.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Still would have been cool though!

Anyone know anything about an FPS monitor? This M1 graphics chip is pretty drat legit.

Count It

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks! I saw this before but it looked kinda sketch so I didn’t install it.

I’ll check it out tonight though!

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else had an issue with iMessage alerts on Big Sur (11.1) coming in with no contact info? The alert has the contact's phone number but the Messages app itself has their names - address book seems synced up, too.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with iMessage alerts on Big Sur (11.1) coming in with no contact info? The alert has the contact's phone number but the Messages app itself has their names - address book seems synced up, too.

I get that, too. I saw somewhere that it’s some issue with Contacts syncing. Forcing a sync might work. System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud. Uncheck Contacts. Close, wait a few minutes, go back and check Contacts. I think this worked for me the last time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm making the switch to iCloud and need to transfer about 100gb of random files over from Google Drive.
Should I just drag and drop them in Finder or is there a better way, some sort of app or official process?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

I'm making the switch to iCloud and need to transfer about 100gb of random files over from Google Drive.
Should I just drag and drop them in Finder or is there a better way, some sort of app or official process?

can you use something like rsync?

man I hope you have fios or something

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FCKGW posted:

Drag and drop in chunks with the Google Drive folder mounted

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hi thread. I have a real basic dumb question. Is there a way to turn off the mandatory "enter your password" that pops up when I login every 24 hours or whatever? I'd rather it keep using my watch or touchID. It also seems to kill the whole purpose of having those two things.

And I'm lazy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I got a hankering to play the old Super Nintendo game Front Mission and I haven't used an emulator in years. Now that I'm on Big Sur, SNES9X doesn't work. Is there a recommended SNES emulator that works with Big Sur? I found one called RetroArch but it wanted to record keystrokes from other applications so I shitcanned it before I ran it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got a hankering to play the old Super Nintendo game Front Mission and I haven't used an emulator in years. Now that I'm on Big Sur, SNES9X doesn't work. Is there a recommended SNES emulator that works with Big Sur? I found one called RetroArch but it wanted to record keystrokes from other applications so I shitcanned it before I ran it.

openemu's fantastic and has snes9x as one of the available cores for snes emulation. also great for p much any other 80's-90's system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What Thauros said

Haven's tried it on Big Sur, but OpenEMU http://openemu.org/ worked great under Catalina, and looks to work under Big Sur. It ran anything I threw at it. Check out the "experimental" and "unsupported" arcade systems - https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/wiki