Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

and the label on the glass jar of Ortiz:

Unctuous and delicated, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Stealing that for my online dating profile.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm getting 50 fresh oysters delivered on new years Eve right to the house.
$85.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Big Beef City posted:

I'm getting 50 fresh oysters delivered on new years Eve right to the house.
$85.

gently caress yes

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Latest 'dine haul from my nearby Asian grocery store.

I forgot to stop by the Russian market to get some Riga Sprats & KO cod liver though. :cripes:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

gently caress yes

https://clamandoyster.com/

is where I'm getting them from, yeah obviously shippings kinda a bitch but they're delivering fresh oysters to me in BFE wisconsin on new years eve day and I'm still paying $1.70 an oyster. I mean...that's not the worst loving thing I've seen.
They charge like $2.75-4 per for fresh in the 2-3 places you can find them locally as former dine-in spots, and that's assuming they have them.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 12, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Big Beef City posted:

https://clamandoyster.com/

is where I'm getting them from, yeah obviously shippings kinda a bitch but they're delivering fresh oysters to me in BFE wisconsin on new years eve day and I'm still paying $1.70 an oyster. I mean...that's not the worst loving thing I've seen.
They charge like $2.75-4 per for fresh in the 2-3 places you can find them locally as former dine-in spots, and that's assuming they have them.

that's insanely cheap.

any culinary plans, or just eating them raw?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Honestly, mostly raw is my plan now. I literally just want to sit spread legged on the couch with a bucket and shuck them with lemon wedges and hogwash.

My wife isn't huge on them raw at all so I'm probably going to prep a good portion 'rockefeller' (or some variant) and toast them up and then make some linguine with a light herb and lemon sauce or some-such thing for her while I indulge in my hedonism. I've been on a chervil/sage kick of late and I kinda think a chervil flavor with oysters would go pretty f. great so I might work that into the pasta gently, but that's a ways out yet so who knows.

e: had I been smart, I could have used some dried and crushed lavender from our garden this summer instead of the chervil. Same flavor profile and way cooler to say "I had oysters lavender" but I have none left saved.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 13, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

quick bread repost from other threads

punkin

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Brb, showing this to my fiance to prove that it could be worse

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Those Nuri sardines in spicy tomato sauce are :discourse: in Shakshouka.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/GE6cgSg.mp4

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i was pissed at a can so i doused it in furikake
felt like i was cheating im glad none of you were here to see it

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

im not really sure what all to do with 'deenz but my frequent purchasing in the past two months demands creativity. first, i ate them on saltines. i guess you could call these 'deenz on 'teenz. i also tried a variant sardines and cheese ('deenz on cheeze on 'teenz) but that one wasn't working so hot. moved onto prepping a bowl of white rice and mixing the sardines in there, and that was pretty good. started tossing raw egg in and dried bacon bits (turkey bacon because the only pigging i do is piggin' out on 'deenz) and that was great, too, but my big problem kept revolving around the coldness of a canned fish versus the warm rice straight from the cooker, so then i moved onto both frying and baking them. frying worked alright--threw em in the pan with a filet of salmon and it was fine. baking worked less well as smoke started shooting out of the toaster oven and my apartment smelled like roasted pier for a few days, but they still tasted okay. also, i've tried different canned variants: the dominant 'deen (D.D.) is extra virgin olive oil (E.V.O.O.), but the oil with added lemon version doesn't hurt. sunflower oil is fine. tomato sauce is great, actually. different. water is the pits though--took a couple of bites and felt like i may as well go outside and just start eating dirt instead. also, anchovies are gross
hope this post helped thanks for reading

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you might be ready for the alton brown 'dine and avocado on toast. but that's a question only you can answer

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ive never even considered a combination like that. i'm heading to the grocery

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I didn't eat 'dines today but I ate some mahi which probably ate a bunch of 'dines. that's some alpha 'dine poo poo yo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Voice of Labor posted:

I didn't eat 'dines today but I ate some mahi which probably ate a bunch of 'dines. that's some alpha 'dine poo poo yo

and you know the mahi ate the bones

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if I'm shiny, everybody gonna shine

I was born like this, don't even gotta try

I, like chardonnay, get better over time

heard you say I'm not the baddest fish, you lie

tunisian dines were pretty good. more premium price than the dines maybe are worth. the key selling point for these guys is the olive oil. they are dines in olive oil, like floating in it. I wasn't expecting it and was not prepared to use it or deal with it, I tossed the oil and that wasted a lot of the value. I also didn't care for the oil so much, so reserving a bunch of it doubly wasn't happening. fish was excellent though a little small for my tastes, smoking was spot on, tasty but no chemicalness or overpowering, salt was o.k. throughout the fish but heavily concentrated around the bone. I'm thinking these actually need to age, if the wife runs across any more I may stash a few in the dine cellar and wait a year or two to eat them.

only fish I've seen packed in this much oil is rigas, so I suspect there's a good reason for it. these might not have been the best example but they were still superb. they exist in lemon as well which I would like to try

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
made the alton brown sardine and avocado toast for lunch

it was very good! i will be doing it again soon

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i did as well! although yours looks a lot more presentable than how mine did

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Mozi posted:

Alton Brown has rarely led me astray.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Flint Ironstag posted:

just dont buy an aeropress

also i want tinned fish now

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Flint Ironstag posted:

just be sure never to vote for him

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've been jealous of Alton Brown's kitchenaid mixer for 20 years.

My friend just texted me to ask if I wanna go to HMart with him tomorrow. I am excited to visit their tinned fish section.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mozi posted:

it was very good! i will be doing it again soon

If you want to shortcut around the sherry vinegar brining, you can just plop some KO Mediterranean mackerel right on top of that avocado instead of dines.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I was at the co op last night, ordering a cut of meat for Christmas dinner. While at the meat counter, I stepped over to see what was in the fish case: Fresh smelt!

I hadn't seen it before, and went back and forth on getting some. I chatted with the guy at the counter briefly who told me it was new. I decided to get some later this week maybe, and to shop around some more. After a few minutes, I went back and said to the guy in the Space Jam hat "I;m thinkin bout thos smelts" and got a handful of it to fry up today for lunch.

A closer look, they have nice color

Did a cornmeal, s&p, paprika cumin and cayenne mix and headed outside to fry em up so I don't stink up the house and splatter up the kitchen too much but it's 40ish F and pretty windy so I had a hard time keeping the pan hot. Dog is inside chillin

Ended up finishing them in the toaster oven under a broiler to get some good crunch and color. Wife had come down before I started and made some guac for lunch, so that went perfectly with them. Used a squeeze of lime and a sprinkling of sea salt. Would definitely smelt again but maybe not in the middle of winter.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 22, 2020

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
gently caress yeah

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Excellent post and dog

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In Wisconsin, in early spring time pretty much 'the week after the ice clears' on the rivers, it's smelt season, and you will see Dads of all shapes and ages out there with dip nets (square fish nets that are attached with a rope to either a pole or a 2x4 and using another beam as a lever) and they will wait a bit and then hoist the nets from the river, bringing up smelt.

When they get home, they and their family will use a scissors to make "the sign of the cross" on the fish. One across the neck, then one down the belly. Then run your finger down it to gut it, and toss it into a clean bowl of water.

Here is one cheat code: when you throw your dip net into the river, get the brightest flashlight you got and shine it at it. This attracts the smelt. Wait about 4-5 minutes and haul 'er up.

I've been told (I'm nearing 40) that before I was even around, a guy (or gal) could go down to the river during smelt season and literally catch a 5 gallon bucket full and never think twice about it. ie: more smelt than a family could process or even want from just an hour or so's work.
These days...you're lucky to catch a meal's worth in a night. At least, last time I tried which...well, drat was like 20 years ago now lol holy poo poo. Maybe and hopefully things have got better here on the Wisco side of lake michigan and someone can pipe in.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
dang. he who smelt it indeed dealt it (a good lunch)

Prof. Crocodile posted:

If you want to shortcut around the sherry vinegar brining, you can just plop some KO Mediterranean mackerel right on top of that avocado instead of dines.

ah dope good to know, i've got those but didn't use'em for this. nuts to waiting 45 minutes for my lunch!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I managed to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium a month before everything went to poo poo. They have a lot of 'dines. (not my video, but a good example of their glory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBVqXXa-7s

They also have a room where you sit and watch them swarm around you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CWahOj1Do

There's a good reason for this. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is built on a street called "cannery row" where they used to can a bunch of sardines and fruit. Del Monte started nearby and this was a pretty big agricultural area. The whole lobby area of the aquarium is basically a museum of the old sardine canning plant.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 22, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Here's some Wisconsinites having a normal one about smelt.

quote:

"The smelt run in greatest number at night, and from 9 p.m. until midnight all Marinette is festive. The Interstate Bridge is closed to traffic, every foot is crowded with poles, flashlights, machines for lifting the seines, and baskets full of shining fish. The riverbank is a blaze of light from bonfires. Barkers yell their wares, fireworks light the whole sky, and beer flows freely. The festival reaches a climax with the crowning of the Smelt Queen."

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Who wouldn't climax with the Smelt Queen?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just make sure you pronounce it correctly.

It's "Sshmelt"

I dunno what the character is for the germanic S-C-H sound is and I don't want to because there is no conversation about that, that doesn't invite literal nazis. So just pretend you pronounced it correctly.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The main thing I know about Wisconsin is how to pronounce "dagger" and "bag"

daygger and bayg

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I have vague memories of smelting as a child in upper Michigan. It was an enormous drunk. Bonfires up and down the rivers, people just getting poo poo faced. They filled the backs of trucks, bath tubs, 5 gallon pails, anything that would hold fish. My dad worked for a company that made fish cleaning machines and they'd haul out a smelt machine and charge $0.10 / lb to run them through. He told stories of people showing up and popping trunks that were just filled with fish.

My grandpa said things seemed to go to poo poo when people realized you could sell the smelt to cat food companies. Though about the same time the smelt in Lake Michigan kind of just collapsed. In that era there was a big gap between predators. The lamprey killed off the lake trout and the big salmon plantings were just getting rolling. So for about 25 years the smelt had no major predator.

Like Beef said they are coming back. We'll drive up to Lake Superior in April, but it's a lot of work for a gallon of smelt.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Yooper posted:

My dad worked for a company that made fish cleaning machines and they'd haul out a smelt machine

What did this look like and how did it work?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Smelt Machine is a real good username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
if this thread fucks with smelt, do yourself a favor and find a seafood city in your area. it's a filipino grocery store, usually with a grill city or crispy town attached.

i rarely walk out without an order of crispy smelt and vinegar