Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brawnfire posted:

I'm gonna be the guy with a tilapia hydroponics setup who won't shut up about tilapia hydroponics

Based on most of the replies to that tweet you're aiming way too high. You want to be the guy who leads weekly discussions of tilapia hydroponics instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If Ready Player 1 is cyberpunk then cancel cyberpunk

I'm torn between just agreeing with this because I detest the author and pointing out that just because something is the worst example of a genre doesn't mean it isn't in fact part of that genre.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

chitoryu12 posted:

The only thing truly punk is that punks will never believe anything is sufficiently punk. The arbitrary definition is always moving.

I have a pink wallet with a cartoon of a bunny.

THAT is true punk.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

McClintock posted:

The punk rolled up his big blue eyes
And said to the jocker, "Sandy,
I've hiked and hiked and wandered too,
But I ain't seen any candy.
I've hiked and hiked till my feet are sore
And I'll be damned if I hike any more
To be buggered sore like a hobo's whore
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains."

Punk is a word that has been used to describe a victim of sexual abuse.

It was taken back in many ways. Gutter punk, street punk, even trust fund idiots doing crust punk.

To be called a punk in the system is still very homophobic but it's something that people take back.

Cyberpunk as a term is dead as dirt because we're living in that world, we just get punked by corporations and governments.

There's a reason Gibson refers to himself as a 'speculative fiction' author now.

Most of the worst poo poo has come true or soon will be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It was taken back in many ways. Gutter punk, street punk, even trust fund idiots doing crust punk.

To be called a punk in the system is still very homophobic but it's something that people take back.

Cyberpunk as a term is dead as dirt because we're living in that world, we just get punked by corporations and governments.

There's a reason Gibson refers to himself as a 'speculative fiction' author now.

William Gibson no longer calls himself a cyberpunk writer because pretty much no one would call his later books (Pattern Recognition and on) cyberpunk.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

William Gibson no longer calls himself a cyberpunk writer because pretty much no one would call his later books (Pattern Recognition and on) cyberpunk.

The Peripheral is pretty cyberpunky, he's evolved well as an author in general though, his newer books reflect the modern age and a bleak future a lot like his original ones did.

Pattern Recognition is great, but yeah it's set in the current day so it can't be Cyberpunk.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is this an LoB gimmick or

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elviscat posted:

The Peripheral is pretty cyberpunky, he's evolved well as an author in general though, his newer books reflect the modern age and a bleak future a lot like his original ones did.

Pattern Recognition is great, but yeah it's set in the current day so it can't be Cyberpunk.

I should read his even newer books, looking up his post 9/11 work I realized Zero History was the last book of his I read and it came out 10 years ago.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

please for the love of god shut up about what is and isn't cyberpunk

wild geeters not the idiot

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1341542712793829379?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Feel really bad for anyone born January 4th 1988, or April 1st 1988 if they were born in Europe.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I feel very PUNK driving down the street suddenly spotting YOUTHS with BOUNTIES put on them by corpo fascist police. I then trusting the SYSTEM to tell me who the BAD GUYS are i pull out my SILENCED REVOLVER sneak crouch attack kill them all in seconds, then loot their bodies. A passerby looks at me horrified, saying some NONSENSE about "they had a family" and "couldnt you just have knocked them out"? I was just going to reply when a casual scan suddenly revealed a bounty of 10 eurodollars for littering near a corpo vending machine. sighing i took out my SILENCED REVOLVER...

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Necrothatcher posted:

https://twitter.com/inceltown/status/1341599405191831554

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Content for the content Gods

https://twitter.com/HonourableHappy/status/1341328673547411458

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When ur so good at economics you think you literally create money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's sorta true, ten times in a few years is a loving insane return on investment that no one gets outside of investment schemes that are not only technically crimes but the exact reason we made laws about investment.

But it's also completely insane because it reveals the idea that having money is a better thing to him than spending money for useful things. Like just fully worshipping at the altar of Moloch. The reason poor people spend all their money immediately is because they need to spend it in order to not die.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Incredibly revealing that he doesn't consider money to exist anymore if it's not hoarded in an account. That's all money is, just a way to keep score. Not a means to purchase goods and services.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

wizzardstaff posted:

Incredibly revealing that he doesn't consider money to exist anymore if it's not hoarded in an account. That's all money is, just a way to keep score. Not a means to purchase goods and services.

It gets better

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

That's the insane thing, right wingers never understand that poor people spending their money on dumb poo poo is what makes the economy work. Like why does it matter that someone on SNAP buys the more expensive meat instead of eating nothing but rice and beans, the same amount of money goes into the grocery store allowing them to employee clerks and what not and also buying that expensive beef in the first place giving jobs to cowboys. Do they really think we should eliminate jobs for cowboys?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Big Mackson posted:

I feel very PUNK driving down the street suddenly spotting YOUTHS with BOUNTIES put on them by corpo fascist police. I then trusting the SYSTEM to tell me who the BAD GUYS are i pull out my SILENCED REVOLVER sneak crouch attack kill them all in seconds, then loot their bodies. A passerby looks at me horrified, saying some NONSENSE about "they had a family" and "couldnt you just have knocked them out"? I was just going to reply when a casual scan suddenly revealed a bounty of 10 eurodollars for littering near a corpo vending machine. sighing i took out my SILENCED REVOLVER...

Thing is in that game all the gangs apart from like the mox, voodoo boys and uh... 6th street??? Are ridiculously violent psychopaths. So it makes sense in the game that you shoot them. But this is actually more insidious because there's no chance for the player to have the realization you just wrote. In the game the Corps are obviously corrupt and inhumane but they are correct that all the youths are violent and will steal your cyber spleen. No one in the game is ever just 'littering near a corpo vending machine'. Everyone is a cyber organ harvester and aspiring snuff film producer. It's so perfectly crypto-fash because it says 'we get it, the world is a gently caress' and then spends the rest of the game telling you the corpos are right and you should just shoot everyone. Cha-ching!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The corpos are your enemy the entire game. The game literally identifies Arasaka with the Devil

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's the insane thing, right wingers never understand

No they understand perfectly well. They just care more about punishing people than helping them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Big Mackson posted:

Cyberpunk is known for having highly moral pacifist protagonists pure of virtue, I'm very intelligent and not trying to come up with stupid complaints just because.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are all welcome to my annual day of burning Shadowrun books because it allows you to do runs for corporations (25 Dec)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cw: animal abuse

:nws: :nms:
https://i.imgur.com/HKEhXAo.png

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fair enough for the cw but this is all text and pretty stupid sounding

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Fishstick posted:

It gets better

Investing in survival is a net-loss for rich people, didn’t you know?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thing is in that game all the gangs apart from like the mox, voodoo boys and uh... 6th street??? Are ridiculously violent psychopaths. So it makes sense in the game that you shoot them. But this is actually more insidious because there's no chance for the player to have the realization you just wrote. In the game the Corps are obviously corrupt and inhumane but they are correct that all the youths are violent and will steal your cyber spleen. No one in the game is ever just 'littering near a corpo vending machine'. Everyone is a cyber organ harvester and aspiring snuff film producer. It's so perfectly crypto-fash because it says 'we get it, the world is a gently caress' and then spends the rest of the game telling you the corpos are right and you should just shoot everyone. Cha-ching!

always awesome when people who haven't played the game rant about poo poo they imagine it to be

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Silly Newbie posted:

Is this an LoB gimmick or

Sorry, what?

No gimmick. Just a quick and dirty etymology of the word punk as I understand it.

No mention of punk music in my post but I feel that's unrelated to 'punk' in the sense of cyberpunk, steampunk, *punk &c.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Lol why do you feel that?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i was going to say probably the pcp, but then i vaguely remembered some of the etymology of punk and yeah they're not totally wrong

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
is cyberpunk related to the meaning of punk as you posted

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

I hate to be a pedant but if you're complaining about a word being made to be exotic you should give the right translation ("konpeki" is a dark blue - the blue the sea is not the blue the sky is. He seems to have gotten aozora and konpeki confused?)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Lol why do you feel that?

There's just a long and interesting history of the word 'punk' that predates The Sex Pistols or OPIV or Rancid or NOFX or BR.

I just find it interesting how words change over time. I've read William Gibson and Masamune Shirow.

Still haven't finished Zybourne Clock but getting ahold of that is like getting a copy of Utopia.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ookiimarukochan posted:

I hate to be a pedant but if you're complaining about a word being made to be exotic you should give the right translation ("konpeki" is a dark blue - the blue the sea is not the blue the sky is. He seems to have gotten aozora and konpeki confused?)

i just thought it was neat for a district to have the same name as a fountain pen ink i own

at least one review of said ink describes the translation of "kon-peki" to be "very sunny sky" despite Pilot's own translation being "deep cerulean blue" so lmao

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Dec 23, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's just a long and interesting history of the word 'punk' that predates The Sex Pistols or OPIV or Rancid or NOFX or BR.

I just find it interesting how words change over time. I've read William Gibson and Masamune Shirow.

Still haven't finished Zybourne Clock but getting ahold of that is like getting a copy of Utopia.

That wasnt the question, the question was "Why on earth do you feel that the -punk in cyberpunk is unrelated to the use of the word as applied by punk music but is related to the now archaic meaning "victim of sexual violence (primarily in a prison context)", despite cyberpunk borrowing a lot of its aesthetics/atitudes from punk rockers?"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Also for better or for worse steampunk started with The Difference Engine. Co-written by Gibson and Sterling. It did not glorify the victorian age. It was also confusing because of collaborating they basically each wrote one half of a book and mashed them together. Still interesting.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SiKboy posted:

That wasnt the question, the question was "Why on earth do you feel that the -punk in cyberpunk is unrelated to the use of the word as applied by punk music but is related to the now archaic meaning "victim of sexual violence (primarily in a prison context)", despite cyberpunk borrowing a lot of its aesthetics/atitudes from punk rockers?"

Unrelated? I feel like it's completely related. The sexploitation and victimization are the basis of punk music and cyberpunk.

Sorry it's just the PCP talking.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

ookiimarukochan posted:

Ah, just according to keikaku!*

(*Translator note: Keikaku means plan)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Also for better or for worse steampunk started with The Difference Engine. Co-written by Gibson and Sterling. It did not glorify the victorian age. It was also confusing because of collaborating they basically each wrote one half of a book and mashed them together. Still interesting.

doesn't sound as good as Good Omens tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Unrelated? I feel like it's completely related. The sexploitation and victimization are the basis of punk music and cyberpunk.

Sorry it's just the PCP talking.

Oh, you see, we thought you believed them to be unrelated because we must have mistakenly got that from when you said

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sorry, what?

No gimmick. Just a quick and dirty etymology of the word punk as I understand it.

No mention of punk music in my post but I feel that's unrelated to 'punk' in the sense of cyberpunk, steampunk, *punk &c.

silly us.