Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Orange Crush Rush posted:

GOING INTO ACTION

IF YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT LIKE A TRUE SURVIVOR

Bahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

When do I get to meet Jackie’s family? I have the point of no return available to me so I don’t know what else to do to trigger it.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Orange Crush Rush posted:

yeah the first mod I'm gonna look for it something that just rolls all legendaries to have max slots

this would be an instant download for me. def. one of the things i hate most is save scumming to try to get a better roll on these items.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mill Village posted:

When do I get to meet Jackie’s family? I have the point of no return available to me so I don’t know what else to do to trigger it.

You probably chose the wrong option, when you chose where to send Jackie's body. You only get his funeral if you choose to send his body to his family. Jackie's mother will call you to invite you to the funeral.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You probably chose the wrong option, when you chose where to send Jackie's body. You only get his funeral if you choose to send his body to his family. Jackie's mother will call you to invite you to the funeral.

Delamaine rolling up like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEm7RHZMI0&t=185s

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm thinking about picking up RDR2 over the holidays because it's so highly rated but I've never been a fan of Rockstar's crime drama oriented spin to things. I played GTA V to the end of the singleplayer campaign and never touched it again. Maybe I'm mentally broken but Rockstar games never really "hooked me" the way do other people and I bounced off them. The idea of being a train robbing outlaw in the wild west doesn't seem to quite hold the same appeal as trying to be a well meaning but morally questionable Edgerunner. I guess there's Baldur's Gate 3 in the meantime. Maybe that will be fun to play.

I might be completely alone in this but the intimacy/immersion of all of the first person perspective conversations (and car rides, etc.) has kinda ruined other RPGs for me. I don't know if I could ever get into a typical third person RPG again as easily after this experience.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the deal with the cat anyway? It shows up a couple times in places it would be impossible for a real cat to be, specifically in the ending when you're walking up those stairs. They mention it has some symbolic meaning earlier but that seemed like more than just that to me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

What's the deal with the cat anyway? It shows up a couple times in places it would be impossible for a real cat to be, specifically in the ending when you're walking up those stairs. They mention it has some symbolic meaning earlier but that seemed like more than just that to me.

I found a cat underwater grooming itself once so maybe all the cats in the game are cyberpets that have powers beyond our understanding.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

afflictionwisp posted:

If I craft a bunch of items, my save file grows. If I then destroy them and save again, the file shrinks. It stands to reason that if youre using the glitches that manipulate items in your inventory in unintented ways, it could be leaving junk behind. I would consider that plus CDPR's statement that they're related as more than anecdotal, though not definitively detailed.

What CDPR statement? I hope you're not talking about that CDPR forum mod from a while back.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Some of them are probably fragments of Johnny's memory, as he saw the cat just before passing out after Alt is taken, but Takemura clearly sees one during the stakeout of the float factory and makes a pretty direct statement re: the cat as a folkloric psychopomp.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's a Bakeneko, OP

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Last King posted:

this stuff is really interesting and it would've been really cool to do / dive in to more of this vs. the other filler stuff they put in. maybe even one side mission where you got to "dive in" would've been really great. like the bd stuff they showed off, and then once you actually get the game, you realize it's only used in a few specific scripted places to advance the plot. if you could actually buy bds and watch a few, it would at least feel like things were more fleshed out.

instead, they put in like hundreds of static assault in progress pop ups but after you've done a couple, they are basically all the same. they aren't even good for xp, as there are much quicker and more efficient ways to level up as people have posted multiple videos that show how to focus on getting skills up very quickly.

Yeah. Maybe this is highly controversial and I'm completely full of poo poo, but I suspect that if there's ever any chance of righting past wrongs and making the world of cyberpunk a somewhat better place, the solution likely lies in enlisting the help of AIs to do it. The moral dilemma will be whether or not it's okay for humans to give up the ability to choose their own destiny in exchange for the relative comfort and safety an AI could hypothetically provide.

Perhaps that is what the entire Dream On quest is hinting about. Exploring beyond the blackwall is probably one of the single greatest mysteries this game can offer and I really hope we have some opportunity to do cyberspace style netrunning in just that sort of capacity.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

WarpedLichen posted:

Not a ton, but once you have the crafting discount perks material shortages kinda just go away.

You can craft purple grenades and purple maxdocs (buy recipe at most health vendor, I went to the one in the Badlands) which only take white/green mats and they decompose into a ton of purple/blues + a bit of extra white/green for your trouble.

Once you get the legendary grenade recipe from the end of the Beat the Brat quest chain you can do the same with yellow. Since you get a bonus on both crafting when you get a freebie and from disassembling, I ended up with thousands of the mats easily from leveling up my crafting. It's easy but relatively time consuming.

You can also just cheatengine it I suppose.

Also if you going to be doing a lot of crafting I highly recommend a little .in tweak to make crafting instant so you don't have to hold the button down. Such a huge QOL imo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ughhhh posted:

clothing items seem to have it level reset to your level when placed in your apartment stash.

That would explain why things show up as 0 armor and 0 dps in the stash but actually have stats when you pull them out

wtf

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The whole game was giving me some Soma vibes in terms of "what makes a person a person". Especially when it came to Alt and the concept of the engrams.

Dream On was just kind of a depressing quest.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vince MechMahon posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Who_Walks_Through_Walls reference maybe?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Sachant posted:

I might be completely alone in this but the intimacy/immersion of all of the first person perspective conversations (and car rides, etc.) has kinda ruined other RPGs for me. I don't know if I could ever get into a typical third person RPG again as easily after this experience.

I'm the opposite, really. I miss the staging of conversations in The Witcher compared to this. Seeing Geralt emoting and gesturing was great. In most 2077 conversations, I feel more like a camera on legs than an actual person.

No argument that first person works great for car rides and the more intimate moments though

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 23, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'd rather have first person RPGs not be voiced, and 3rd person RPGs be a specific singular character that is voiced.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Exploring beyond the blackwall is probably one of the single greatest mysteries this game can offer and I really hope we have some opportunity to do cyberspace style netrunning in just that sort of capacity.

I think it's presented as so alien and bizarre that I don't know how the game could even represent this without taking away the mystery, sort of how the reapers in Mass Effect became less scary the more you saw them.

PerilPastry posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I'm the opposite. I really miss the staging of conversations in The Witcher compared to this. Seeing Geralt emoting and gesturing felt really impactful to me. Now, during most conversations in 2077 I feel more like a camera on legs than an actual person

Something about making eye contact with NPCs while talking to them really got me in a way that third person RPGs never have. I often found periodically myself looking away mid conversation like I naturally would to lower the intensity. Also specifically not seeing my character react to things I think left a vacuum that I filled myself as a player and let me have my own reactions more "purely", if that makes sense. It helped that the game didn't really suffer from "that's not what I meant to say" dialogue prompts -- generally I felt that V correctly expressed what I wanted to express when selecting a response.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 23, 2020

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Done at 65 hours (thanks covid and crappy weather) and despite it's flaws I thought it was fantastic, top three played this year along with Hades and Disco Elysium. Ending: went Panam and let Johnny keep the body whilst V went with Alt which felt like the right choice, even if the voicemails over the credits make you feel like poo poo.

Can only hope they continue with the setting and that we end up comparing any sequals the same way we look at ME1 to ME2 or Withcher 1 to Witcher 3.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would be really fun to work on witcher 4 though. I feel like in a way it has so little of expectation in terms of character and setting since 3 kinda wrapped everything up, you would have a lot of creative freedom

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
The criticism that Cyberpunk doesn't have a lot (or anything depending where you're coming from) to say isn't completely true but has some validity to it. I haven't put my every living moment to going through everything in the game and analyzing everything etc. but one problem I can see myself having is that most of the messaging in the game is basically just something that you already agree with it unless you're a massive piece of poo poo. Corporate exploitation pretty bad, amirite? Maybe we should improve society somewhat?

The problem with this is what a recent CCK Philosophy video touched upon about the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_fxwLBSFo&t=1576s

The Simpsons had some pretty strong messaging in the 90s but the problem with that also was that it came to you by Rupert Murdoch monetizing it. Your subversive messaging in Cyberpunk has been monetized by some polish investors, corporate scam artists and endless amounts of worker exploitation. And it also hires a musician who's the partner of an apartheid emerald mine owners failson. That feels pretty capitalist realism to me.

I guess it's all worth it if the message is very radical? Is it?

Still love the game but thinking too much about what got us Cyberpunk puts a real dent in my enjoyment and makes it harder to look past the warts. The last thing that bothered my immersion very hard was seeing the cop who commits suicide because of depression and PTSD, Barry's model pretty much everywhere if you just walk in Kabuki or Little China.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Sachant posted:

I think it's presented as so alien and bizarre that I don't know how the game could even represent this without taking away the mystery, sort of how the reapers in Mass Effect became less scary the more you saw them.

they took care of this decades ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzRjtvMQds4

:c00l:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

LifeSunDeath posted:

while fun, no on reacts to the horn, :( I use it all the time though cause why not.

Steal a cop car. The siren is just amazing.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Sachant posted:

Something about making eye contact with NPCs while talking to them really got me in a way that third person RPGs never have. I often found periodically myself looking away mid conversation like I naturally would to lower the intensity. Also specifically not seeing my character react to things I think left a vacuum that I filled myself as a player and let me have my own reactions more "purely", if that makes sense. It helped that the game didn't really suffer from "that's not what I meant to say" dialogue prompts -- generally I felt that V correctly expressed what I wanted to express when selecting a response.

Tbf, I only get the disembodied "tripod" feeling in the less critical conversations where the player doesn't have as much of a physical presence.
In the main quest conversations where the player is gesturing and interacting physically with the world/people it felt much more grounded and I felt much more immersed in V. Your interactions with the dolls at Clouds or your romance partners, for instance, are amazingly intense.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Most of the entire game is you being a merc and participating actively in capitalism by offering your services to the best buyer. Never mind the standard RPG trappings with gaining economic power and selling and buying stuff constantly. So yeah, of course in practical terms is 'capitalism realism', the game isn't about living in a hippy commune.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The title of this is bullshit. This part of Johnny Mnemonic is also good: https://youtu.be/J1okpAj7Fhw

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Mr E posted:

I found a cat underwater grooming itself once so maybe all the cats in the game are cyberpets that have powers beyond our understanding.
The old net is actually powered by a bunch of AI that got confused by all the cat pictures of the Old Internet and decided to put their physical bodies into cats in the physical world thinking they would be supreme beings in it worshipped by humans.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

necrobobsledder posted:

The old net is actually powered by a bunch of AI that got confused by all the cat pictures of the Old Internet and decided to put their physical bodies into cats in the physical world thinking they would be supreme beings in it worshipped by humans.

Not entirely wrong on that last sentence tbh

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A cool concept they could use is that the AI behind the Black Wall are even more advanced at this point people believe, having evolved in the last decades without supervision. Post singularity, etc. So with their vast intellects they could have found a way to go through the black wall undetected and observe/mess around the real world.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Dunkey's pissed at the bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPW6fkcM-14

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dunkey goin for them views

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ok, so I picked the bad option, and I'm not done with the game yet (doing every single sidequest before finishing act 2), but I'm really hoping that since "the corpos" took his body, I get to fight a cyber-monster Jackie a la Monster Jen from Prey 2006. If I don't, then they should add that as part of the DLC, because it would be :krad:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

So yeah, of course in practical terms is 'capitalism realism', the game isn't about living in a hippy commune.

lol me riding to the sunset with Panam and Judy would like to have a word with you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

A cool concept they could use is that the AI behind the Black Wall are even more advanced at this point people believe, having evolved in the last decades without supervision. Post singularity, etc. So with their vast intellects they could have found a way to go through the black wall undetected and observe/mess around the real world.

It's suggested in the world of cyberpunk book that the blackwall is probably something netwatch had to negotiate with the AIs over and the AIs ultimately agreed to allow, so it could be anything from 'just for show' to 'has deliberate backdoors' to 'just for the "bad" AIs' or any number of other things. It's some cool and flexible lore to be sure

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pretty much. its alot like Witcher 3 where its themes and lessons are more personal and people focused than something with a political ideological view, though it does have those too. Witcher 3 was all about growing up and learning to let go and what makes a good parent and how to be a good partner. cyberpunk is all about that stuff and also about finding redemption is a souless hosed society that makes ours look good.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's a crime that Delamain asks you to find seven cars and you can't gently caress a single one of them.

Delamain as a romance option in the next DLC pls.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Magus42 posted:

What CDPR statement? I hope you're not talking about that CDPR forum mod from a while back.

I saw it referenced in a few articles as an official response via the GOG support forums. I didn't go chase down the thread though. Questionable, then, but still not something to discount out of hand since inventory contents does have impact on save file size. Likely not the only contributing issue.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

The Saddest Robot posted:

Delamain as a romance option in the next DLC pls.

Cyberpunk 2077 - The Robo-Sexual Agenda

It can even add a new ending: V and Johnny merge a la The Delamains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 - The Robo-Sexual Agenda

It can even add a new ending: V and Johnny merge a la The Delamains.

I legit thought that's what that option was setting up and was sad when it wasn't an option at the end.