Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

emulate it with one of those AI upscaling mods if it has one bc it makes the ps1 backgrounds look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

This mod is amazing. You can also have it set the steal rates higher which makes the skill worth using

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
FFIX is GOAT

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

drat. This makes me want to buy FFIX again then play an emulator with that (probable) perverts HD backgrounds mod.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They did the he remake of 9 recently, Beatrix ftmfw

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

the mod is bad rear end, but the changes to the soundtrack are a step too far

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

somebody sent me a van gogh styled "cloud standing in front of shinra tower" t-shirt direct from the store and I have no idea who it is.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

tawal posted:

the mod is bad rear end, but the changes to the soundtrack are a step too far

Optional i guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

somebody sent me a van gogh styled "cloud standing in front of shinra tower" t-shirt direct from the store and I have no idea who it is.

sick...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i have vanquished ExDeath and sealed the power of the void within the 4 crystals of light and returned balance to world. FFV loving owned, i will absolutely play it again the next time i see the four job challenge run stuff pick up again, theres so many jobs i barely messed with, and theres a whole GBA version with extra content. godly game.

my final team (all wearing a ribbon + haste shoes + their ultimate weapon of choice)
Butz: Dbl Grip & Dimen Lv. 6
Lenna: Berserk & Dbl Grip
Galuf: Summon Lv. 6 & White Magic Lv. 6
Faris: 2-Hand & Jump

i missed a lot of poo poo undoubtedly but ill be playing again and will probably read a gameFAQ all about the math since it seems people have been playing thi sgame nonstop for 25 years now.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
ff5 ftw

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

i have vanquished ExDeath and sealed the power of the void within the 4 crystals of light and returned balance to world. FFV loving owned, i will absolutely play it again the next time i see the four job challenge run stuff pick up again, theres so many jobs i barely messed with, and theres a whole GBA version with extra content. godly game.

my final team (all wearing a ribbon + haste shoes + their ultimate weapon of choice)
Butz: Dbl Grip & Dimen Lv. 6
Lenna: Berserk & Dbl Grip
Galuf: Summon Lv. 6 & White Magic Lv. 6
Faris: 2-Hand & Jump

i missed a lot of poo poo undoubtedly but ill be playing again and will probably read a gameFAQ all about the math since it seems people have been playing thi sgame nonstop for 25 years now.

yeah idk what it was, I always liked FFV but it wasn't until the last time I played through it I went "holy poo poo this game rules"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I beat FF8's Omega Weapon this afternoon, and I'm still riding high from it. (This was the remaster, so Omega was only my average party level of 65 instead of 100, but still.) That fight is so much fun. For every other fight in the game, I felt like I was a bit overpowered, because on this playthrough I actually understood the junction system. But for Omega Weapon, I actually needed to strategize and it took me probably about 10 attempts before I figured out the proper spell timings to keep everyone healed and aura'd so that my Renzokuken + Duel spam could pay off.

Also, this might have been my first time beating a Final Fantasy game's "hardest boss" (I may have beaten Ozma as a kid; I can't remember). It feels so good to stare down what seems like an impossible task (crazy amounts of HP + super deadly attacks) and come out on top.

Man I love this series.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

I beat FF8's Omega Weapon this afternoon, and I'm still riding high from it. (This was the remaster, so Omega was only my average party level of 65 instead of 100, but still.) That fight is so much fun. For every other fight in the game, I felt like I was a bit overpowered, because on this playthrough I actually understood the junction system. But for Omega Weapon, I actually needed to strategize and it took me probably about 10 attempts before I figured out the proper spell timings to keep everyone healed and aura'd so that my Renzokuken + Duel spam could pay off.

Also, this might have been my first time beating a Final Fantasy game's "hardest boss" (I may have beaten Ozma as a kid; I can't remember). It feels so good to stare down what seems like an impossible task (crazy amounts of HP + super deadly attacks) and come out on top.

Man I love this series.

Yeah it’s a great fight and really made me wish there’s been more like it throughout the game. I was level 100 with optimal junctions and it still took careful timing t and management to beat

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Can we talk about Final Fantasy -adjacent games in this thread? And if so, is Octopath Traveler worth playing? It's half-off right now on Steam and the Switch Store

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

Can we talk about Final Fantasy -adjacent games in this thread? And if so, is Octopath Traveler worth playing? It's half-off right now on Steam and the Switch Store

I enjoy it when I play it but I also routinely put it down for six months and forget it exists. The battle system does some fun stuff for boss fights and it looks gorgeous, but it also feels weirdly unambitious and cautious in a lot of places. If it's on sale you'll probably get your money's worth out of it I'd think.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

P-Mack posted:

I enjoy it when I play it but I also routinely put it down for six months and forget it exists. The battle system does some fun stuff for boss fights and it looks gorgeous, but it also feels weirdly unambitious and cautious in a lot of places. If it's on sale you'll probably get your money's worth out of it I'd think.

this is basically what everyone i know says about the game & makes me hesitant even at 50% off

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I thought Octopath was godly and blitzed through 60 hours in like 3 weeks, maxed all the jobs and beat all the secret bosses, etc. The battle system maybe my favorite FFV style battle system ever and I liked all the characters and stories. But I also played it on Switch because handheld rpgs are ftw and maybe I wouldn’t have liked it as much as a pc game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I thought Octopath was godly and blitzed through 60 hours in like 3 weeks, maxed all the jobs and beat all the secret bosses, etc. The battle system maybe my favorite FFV style battle system ever and I liked all the characters and stories. But I also played it on Switch because handheld rpgs are ftw and maybe I wouldn’t have liked it as much as a pc game.
Yeah it's the perfect cozy Switch game, the chapters are perfectly paced to play through one in bed before going to sleep. It would probably feel more limited on PC but I love it anyway

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Honestly Octopath battle system is so sick it makes me less excited about bravely 2. I’m still gonna play it but it won’t be as fun

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

octopath looks really ugly too me and i didn't like the demo

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

it was ok but i will never, ever play it again.

Honestly Octopath battle system is so sick it makes me less excited about bravely 2. I’m still gonna play it but it won’t be as fun

tf dude. bravely>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> octo its not even close

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Octopath battle system pwns and because of it I powered through some of the worst dialogue I’ve ever seen and a story I didn’t give a single poo poo about

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

this. it had way too much dialogue

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003

mysterious loyall X posted:

wow this guy hates pixels

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Octopath is fun to play and pretty to look at and listen to, but I got about halfway through and kinda lost steam. It didn't really motivate me to continue playing it. Good chance the sequel will be an instant classic though, I feel.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

que sera sera posted:

it was ok but i will never, ever play it again.

tf dude. bravely>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> octo its not even close

Lol *pats u on head*

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Octopath is literally bravely plus persona style elemental breaks and turn order. It’s highly effective

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
octopath is great if you want a SNES era RPG with a little extra shine

otherwise there isn't much point

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Octopath is literally bravely plus persona style elemental breaks and turn order. It’s highly effective

Octopath is: Bravely Default; elemental breaks; persona style turn order, choice + epic Octopath Heroes!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Octopath is: Bravely Default; elemental breaks; persona style turn order, choice + epic Octopath Heroes!
This

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Pablo Nergigante posted:

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Man, I'm 7 hours into the second half of FFVI, and I just found out that I was supposed to wait for Shadow on the Floating Continent. I'm kicking myself because that was even mentioned in the Before I Play guide, but I thought the hint was referring to an earlier scene. Are there any particularly good scenes with that character in the second half of the game? Is it worth going back and repeating the seven hours of the game? (I have a save from right before the key point.)