Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?

highme posted:

Anything I need to watch out for setting up these brakes? I’ve never done anything with hydraulic brakes on a bike, so any advice would be appreciated. Getting those copper inserts into the end of each line proved too much with the rain (my bench vise is not easily accessed).

Without going into bleed, the one hiccup I've seen a couple of times on a new install is folks not tightening the screw that goes into the caliper/brake enough the first time. Shimano spec is something like 8 Nm, but on a fresh line you're compressing the olive down onto the housing, so that torque often doesn't get the olive compressed enough and you can get a leak. If you're screwing the bolt in and it's got about half of the threads exposed, you're probably not in enough. You'll usually have around 1/3 of the threads exposed when it's in properly.

The new 105s require an adapter for the funnel on a bleed, and here's your generic "don't get mineral oil on the rotor or the brake pads" warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I wouldn’t worry too much about the calipers themselves, all Shimano flat mount calipers are the same, the only thing that differs is the paint.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

squirrelnow posted:

The new 105s require an adapter for the funnel on a bleed, and here's your generic "don't get mineral oil on the rotor or the brake pads" warning.

Universal sold me a hydraulic bleed/fill kit, will that adapter be in there?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

highme posted:

Universal sold me a hydraulic bleed/fill kit, will that adapter be in there?

If it was for current gen stuff then it should. It looks like this:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-st-r9120-funnel-adapter-o-ring

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kgibson posted:

Hey all, still no luck with this issue. I did end up swapping out pulleys and retrying b-screw and cable tension adjustments to no avail. I also tried adjusting the tension on the chain by moving the wheels around in the dropouts, but that didn't make much difference at all. I grabbed a quick vid of the noise I'm trying to address:

https://imgur.com/UwrgWLA

(Sorry for the shakiness and portrait orientation.)

The clicking in the third to smallest cog is the issue. The same noise is present to a lesser extent in the fourth largest. They seem worse in the small ring but are present in both.

I doesn't sound 100% indexed to me, I swap chains between my bikes and accidentally put a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed bike the chain would just catch on only the ramped part of the cogs. If you haven't thrown away the old components maybe swap back the chain to eliminate that., and /or the cassette.

highme
May 25, 2001

Levitate posted:

If it was for current gen stuff then it should. It looks like this:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-st-r9120-funnel-adapter-o-ring

I haven't opened up that box yet, but I'll double check. Since it's been pouring rain the last couple of days I haven't really been able to do anything. So I've been thinking about this and want to clarify. I assumed that you fill from the levers once the brake lines have been installed etc., is this not the case? I did read a few shop manuals yesterday, but apparently focused on installs of components and not fluids because I never saw that.

And another question that I think is self evident, but just wanted to confirm. My derailleur cabling did not come with any barrel adjusters. I went to harvest some out of my parts bin, but was thinking, do the shift cables not need them because they don't undergo the same stress that brake cables do?

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?

highme posted:

I haven't opened up that box yet, but I'll double check. Since it's been pouring rain the last couple of days I haven't really been able to do anything. So I've been thinking about this and want to clarify. I assumed that you fill from the levers once the brake lines have been installed etc., is this not the case? I did read a few shop manuals yesterday, but apparently focused on installs of components and not fluids because I never saw that.

And another question that I think is self evident, but just wanted to confirm. My derailleur cabling did not come with any barrel adjusters. I went to harvest some out of my parts bin, but was thinking, do the shift cables not need them because they don't undergo the same stress that brake cables do?

Usually I'll install the brake first to see if I'm okay with the brake line length or if I want to shorten it. At that point, if it's not a pre-bled system or I cut the line, I just bleed with the brake installed rather than remove anything. You could bleed with it off the bike, whatever's easier with your setup. It's not a bad thing to try if you end up still having air in the system after a bleed, since you can make the line more straight up and down, which will help force air bubbles out.

Most of the time shift systems will have a barrel adjuster somewhere. The Ultegra rear derailleurs usually have one where the housing goes into the derailleur, if you want to skip the inline adjuster on that one, but personally I'd definitely throw one on the front derailleur line. I can never get those right without one.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Newer shimano FD has a built in tension adjuster too.
Also follow the directions, it's different than ever other FD shimano has made.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

I doesn't sound 100% indexed to me, I swap chains between my bikes and accidentally put a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed bike the chain would just catch on only the ramped part of the cogs. If you haven't thrown away the old components maybe swap back the chain to eliminate that., and /or the cassette.

I had to ditch the old cassette and chain, unfortunately, but I did double check that it's an 11sp chain (albeit 105 rather than Ultegra/DA, though I doubt that should make a difference) oriented the correct way. This leads me to wonder more about the hanger and whether it might be bent so I'm waiting on the tool to check it out. What I am confused by in all of this is that the chain doesn't skip and the shifting seems reasonably consistent and quick despite all the racket of noise. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have a question about wheelbuilding and tubeless setups: my rear tire just blew off the rim, what did I screw up?

I just built my first set of wheels (Velocity Cliffhanger 36h rims, Miche Primato hubs, Sapim Race spokes except for drive side rear Sapim Strong spokes, using the different thickness spokes to help compensate for the different tensions). I've set up tubeless once before with no issues (Hunt 4 Season Aero wheels and 38c Gravelking slicks)

The rims have a max tension of 120kgf, so I built the rear drive side as close as I could get to it using a Park Tool tensionmeter I borrowed from a friend. Rear drive side tension was pretty much 110-120kgf, and with the hub's ~40% tension ratio, to get the dish correct the non drive side was around 50-55kgf. Tubeless tape was Velocity's valves and velotape, two layers (one up to each inside sidewall, overlapping in the middle).

The build finished and I went to my garage to get the tubeless setup going. Inflated the rear tire (new Gravelking SK 50c) with a tube to get one bead seated, and levered the other bead mostly closed, enough that I could get things seated tubeless by removing the valve stem and using a floor pump.

I put the finished rear wheel on the bike and pumped it up to 60psi (the listed max for the tires). Spun it a few times while I got things started on the front tubeless setup to distribute the sealant. No hissing or weird noises, it seemed to be sealed fine. As I was futzing with the front, with the rear wheel sitting motionless on the bike on the stand, there was an explosion. My right ear didn't hear an explosion, just started ringing... it was super loud. Sealant everywhere, tire sideways totally off the rim but 100% intact. I set the whole thing up again, but realized that the rim was no longer true (sigh).

Brought it inside and measured the tensions again, a few NDS spokes are down to 40kgf and some of the drive side is down to 90ish, with a few as low as 85kgf. Gonna see if I can true it tomorrow or if the rim is just bent now.

What happened here? Is my floor pump off and I put too much PSI in the tire? Something with the wheelbuild I'm missing?

I did set up the new front wheel tubeless as well, and it seems to be fine (though I did pump it up to only 50psi to be safe).

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 23, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is it holding now?

I can't think of anything in the wheel build process that would cause that, unless the wheel was SEVERELY out of true or round.

I'd suspect faulty gauge and too much PSI, or a defective tire/rim bead.

The gauge would have to be off by a lot though, like 50% or more. Inspect the rim/tire bead for any deformation, surprised it didn't deform just from blowing off.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

eSporks posted:

Newer shimano FD has a built in tension adjuster too.
Also follow the directions, it's different than ever other FD shimano has made.

No kidding. The first time I worked on one of the current gen front derails, I was thinking that my entire wish list had been granted. It is pretty much a 5 step process, but after a few times it becomes second nature.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

kgibson posted:

Hey all, still no luck with this issue. I did end up swapping out pulleys and retrying b-screw and cable tension adjustments to no avail. I also tried adjusting the tension on the chain by moving the wheels around in the dropouts, but that didn't make much difference at all. I grabbed a quick vid of the noise I'm trying to address:

https://imgur.com/UwrgWLA

(Sorry for the shakiness and portrait orientation.)

The clicking in the third to smallest cog is the issue. The same noise is present to a lesser extent in the fourth largest. They seem worse in the small ring but are present in both.
It sounds like the chain is trying to climb gears. Does the sound go away if you turn the barrel adjuster clockwise 2-5 clicks? If yes, cool. Does it still run smooth in the larger cogs? If yes, cool. If no, check the der. hanger.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

eSporks posted:

Is it holding now?

I can't think of anything in the wheel build process that would cause that, unless the wheel was SEVERELY out of true or round.

I'd suspect faulty gauge and too much PSI, or a defective tire/rim bead.

The gauge would have to be off by a lot though, like 50% or more. Inspect the rim/tire bead for any deformation, surprised it didn't deform just from blowing off.

It held 20psi overnight just fine. I don't see any issues with the rim at all beyond it no longer being true; no tiny cracks or obvious bends to be seen. I was definitely surprised when the tire wasn't shredded given how loud the explosion was!

edit: the rim is definitely bent now :( I can true it, but the NDS spokes are now 50-75kgf with the DS spokes 105-135kgf, and it's still not quite as true as before. Dish is off a couple mm with the hub towards the DS too, despite the increased NDS tension. How bad of an idea is it to ride it like this and keep an eye on the tension?

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 23, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

When it randomly goes to full taco, how annoying is it going to be sitting stranded wherever that happens?

P.S. when you replace the rim, don't replace it with a Velocity one, they loving suck!

Edit: my theory for the failure:
Tubeless beads exert a lot of force on the rim bed, easily enough to drop tension by 20-30kgf. I suspect that the NDS tension on one spoke dropped enough to approach zero, the rim deflected in response, and that cascaded through the rest of the wheel.

50kgf just isn't an acceptable tension before mounting the tire, and the weakass rim bed that makes Velocity shout about max 120kgf is too big a constraint. Sorry that you got suckered by a brand that has been riding a reputation for quality that it hasn't actually had since moving to the US.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 23, 2020

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Ah man that sucks to hear Velocity has a bad rep. Any favorite wide (25mm or so) touring rims, US built or not?

And what's a good minimum NDS tension to shoot for? Does doing NDS radial help at all?

Worst case I can rebuild these wheels with different rims, but I'm still stuck with the wide offset ratio of the rear hub (just over 40%).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You didn't mention a budget so DT Swiss TK540.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I often find myself using velocity rims despite the fact that the dent easily, have flat spots at the joints, and are expensive.

Why? Because I build a wheel when something off the rack doesn't fit my needs and they make rims that other manufacturers just don't sell. Just try to find something else that is both rim brake and tubeless compatible in a size other than 700c. Panceti makes one in 650b and I can't find any alternative for 26".

Sorry for your wheel building disaster. I am curious how tight of a fit the tire was on the rim. Did it pop up onto the bead shelf easily or did it take that full 60 psi, swearing, and soap to get it in position?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Ah man that sucks to hear Velocity has a bad rep. Any favorite wide (25mm or so) touring rims, US built or not?

And what's a good minimum NDS tension to shoot for? Does doing NDS radial help at all?

Worst case I can rebuild these wheels with different rims, but I'm still stuck with the wide offset ratio of the rear hub (just over 40%).
Don't think too much about NDS tension beyond keeping it even with the other NDS spokes. The right tension is just whatever you need to get the wheel dished correctly for you given combination of hub and rim. If you want NDS higher, you need less dish or an asymmetrical rim (that may or may not have it's own set of problems).

If you chose to rebuild, after it is unlaced hold that rim against some glass to see how bent it really is.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

You didn't mention a budget so DT Swiss TK540.

This one's a bit narrow in comparison. The only other 700c rim I'm finding that is 25mm+ ID and can take rim brakes is the Ryde Andra 40 (conveniently the same ERD), which seems fairly cheap at around $55 shipped from Europe. Any issues with Ryde as a brand?

CopperHound posted:

Sorry for your wheel building disaster. I am curious how tight of a fit the tire was on the rim. Did it pop up onto the bead shelf easily or did it take that full 60 psi, swearing, and soap to get it in position?

Mounting it tubeless was doable with just a floor pump, no soap. Just used a tube to get one side 100% seated, and then levered as much of the other side up onto the bead as I could. Pumping fast into a valve with the core taken out got it to catch enough to build pressure, and it popped up completely around 30-40psi I'd say.

I got everything back on the bike and rode it up and down the alley at around 35psi. No creaking/popping noises or surprises, though I do see that one spot on the side of the tire does dip a little lower, as if the bead isn't out all the way. Plus the dish of the wheel is still a couple mm off, which made adjusting the brakes interesting.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

eSporks posted:

It sounds like the chain is trying to climb gears. Does the sound go away if you turn the barrel adjuster clockwise 2-5 clicks? If yes, cool. Does it still run smooth in the larger cogs? If yes, cool. If no, check the der. hanger.

So this is what gets me wondering about the hanger: adjusting the barrel counter clockwise seems to help the shifting and the noise on the small cogs but then in turn worsens it on the larger ones. My understanding is that that's typical of a bent/misaligned hanger...?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Do you mean 25 internal? That's quite wide for rim brake - I don't think I have any personal experience with that combination. If you didn't need rim brake it'd be a lot easier to find.

DT are my current strong preference for "workhorse aluminum rims" - good value, good construction, super easy to build up evenly.

Astral are nice but expensive, and fewer choices.

Edit: no personal experience with Ryde rims.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

It has proved doable to set up cantis for rim braking on a rim that wide. I would go discs, but I really like my 64cm Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame.

If I ever do make the switch though I will check out DT rims, thanks!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Man_of_Teflon posted:

It has proved doable to set up cantis for rim braking on a rim that wide. I would go discs, but I really like my 64cm Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame.

If I ever do make the switch though I will check out DT rims, thanks!

Please report back about the Rydes if you do try 'em.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

kgibson posted:

So this is what gets me wondering about the hanger: adjusting the barrel counter clockwise seems to help the shifting and the noise on the small cogs but then in turn worsens it on the larger ones. My understanding is that that's typical of a bent/misaligned hanger...?
It's definitely where I would start.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Shifting being fine on one side and poo poo on the other is bent hanger 80% of the time bad cable or housing 15% of the time extremely bad chainline 5% of the time and lol glhf trying random things until it starts working again 1% of the time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Any issues with Ryde as a brand?
The andra is a default choice for people with rohloff hubs on trekking bikes because they are available with specific angled drilling (probably would be good for hub motors too). If you are okay with the weight (about 30% heavier than the already heavy cliffhanger) and the fact that it is not a tubeless rim I'm sure it will be fine.

Not being tubeless is a big minus for me though.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 23, 2020

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

eSporks posted:

It's definitely where I would start.

EvilJoven posted:

Shifting being fine on one side and poo poo on the other is bent hanger 80% of the time bad cable or housing 15% of the time extremely bad chainline 5% of the time and lol glhf trying random things until it starts working again 1% of the time.

The hanger alignment tool is supposed to show up Monday so I'll report back then. Thanks for the help with this!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kgibson posted:

The hanger alignment tool is supposed to show up Monday so I'll report back then. Thanks for the help with this!
Re - hanger alignment tools: if you ever see a Shimano one offered for not much more than the park tool, it is soo much nicer to use. Keep an eye open at bike shops going out of business.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The abbey one is an absolute dream to use, and the price difference is worth it over the park if you use it regularly.

From home use, anything that gauges against the rim will be fine though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

eSporks posted:

The abbey one is an absolute dream to use, and the price difference is worth it over the park if you use it regularly.

From home use, anything that gauges against the rim will be fine though.
Looks like a beauty. Also lol at the titanium hammer.

highme
May 25, 2001

squirrelnow posted:

Usually I'll install the brake first to see if I'm okay with the brake line length or if I want to shorten it. At that point, if it's not a pre-bled system or I cut the line, I just bleed with the brake installed rather than remove anything. You could bleed with it off the bike, whatever's easier with your setup. It's not a bad thing to try if you end up still having air in the system after a bleed, since you can make the line more straight up and down, which will help force air bubbles out.

Most of the time shift systems will have a barrel adjuster somewhere. The Ultegra rear derailleurs usually have one where the housing goes into the derailleur, if you want to skip the inline adjuster on that one, but personally I'd definitely throw one on the front derailleur line. I can never get those right without one.

Thanks again. I'm pretty sure I'll have to bleed the brakes after their installed as I've having enough issues just fishing the housing/brake lines through the internal routing, not sure how I'm getting a caliper or lever through there :luca:

It was dry & sunny today so I knocked off work a bit early to do some wrenching. Got the derailleurs & cables measured and mounted. Rear seems to work without any issue (aside from needing to be tuned). The cable doesn't seem to want to seat into the shifter for the front correctly, so nothing happens with that lever. My hands had pretty much stopped functioning because of the cold at that point and I still wanted to get brake lines mounted and measured. I now just need to move an old electric Viking range out of the way to get access to my bench vise. Or, more likely, I'm going to load up my truck w/ my bike, stand and tools and head to my friend's heated empty garage this weekend where I don't have to move anything to get access to the bench vise.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Hey all!

Two maintenance questions:

1) I put sealant in the tubes for my mountain bike so preserve the tubes and make them last longer. It ended up gunking up one of the valves, to the point where it sealed up and I can't put any more air in the tire. Luckily it's a presta valve with a removable core, so I should be able to get it out and de-gunk the valve area. Has anyone experienced this before? any tips? any dies for how to prevent this in the future?

2) One of my front forks is now leaking oil. I was planning on taking it to a shop to get it looked at- is that an easy fix I might be able to do myself?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gstu posted:

Hey all!

Two maintenance questions:

1) I put sealant in the tubes for my mountain bike so preserve the tubes and make them last longer. It ended up gunking up one of the valves, to the point where it sealed up and I can't put any more air in the tire. Luckily it's a presta valve with a removable core, so I should be able to get it out and de-gunk the valve area. Has anyone experienced this before? any tips? any dies for how to prevent this in the future?

2) One of my front forks is now leaking oil. I was planning on taking it to a shop to get it looked at- is that an easy fix I might be able to do myself?

Is this a troll post? Why are you putting sealant in tubes?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Gstu posted:

I don't think particularly difficult is the right term, but it is easy to gently caress up pretty bad.

For a car analogy: Does rebuilding a carburetor seem like something you could do?

e: Judging by the first question, I'm guessing the answer is no.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 24, 2020

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've heard of riders using slime in their tubes in areas where goat heads weed is all over the place for what its worth. (in bmx)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Hi, I have a Trek FX1 that I want to sell since I got a proper road bike. After I made some front deraileur adjustments to it my chain will very occasionally seize up. If I stop pedaling for a moment it’ll keep going just fine. I can’t recall whether or not this happens when I shift or not. Anyone know what it might be?

Not sure whether or not it’s related but the shop I got the bike from caked the whole drivetrain in that thick, black bike grease. It sucks and I hate it. I used a whole can of degreaser trying to get it off but didn’t quite get it all. After that I put regular chain lube on it. Was that bad and could it be causing the seizing?

I think the best way to guarantee getting the grease off would be to soak the whole drivetrain in evapo-rust but i don’t want to take the whole thing apart. Maybe I should throw another can of degreaser at it first.

I’ve also noticed there are a couple links in the chain that need a bit of force applied to then to bend, could that be the problem?

I’d like to fix the issue before selling it, I don’t want someone getting a bike with problems.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Is this a troll post? Why are you putting sealant in tubes?
I don't know about DIY'in it but self-sealing tubes are a thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Orange Seal in tubes works great to seal/prevent flats.

To answer the question: just pull the valve out and clean it, and if it’s gunked up beyond cleaning pop a new valve in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dren posted:

Not sure whether or not it’s related but the shop I got the bike from caked the whole drivetrain in that thick, black bike grease. It sucks and I hate it. I used a whole can of degreaser trying to get it off but didn’t quite get it all. After that I put regular chain lube on it. Was that bad and could it be causing the seizing?

I’ve also noticed there are a couple links in the chain that need a bit of force applied to then to bend, could that be the problem?

I'm very surprised the shop let you pick it up in that condition...
Take a pic, but I think your fastest solution would be to replace the chain.
If it's a 9spd, it wouldn't be that pricy, either.