Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh arguments of this form are always pretty dubious too, if we assume that they can do anything they want they can cut social programs already, and if we assume that "we" have some power over things, letting them cut social programs in exchange is just assuming our own incompetence.

but that goes the other way too, in that it is much more immediately needed to expand social programs in the us, so talk about ubi is most likely dreaming of something both less achieavable and desirable.

I guess my argument is to stay noided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

i just read about all the crooks trump pardoned yesterday. duncan hunter of all people.

duncan hunter but NOT HIS WIFE, who was more cooperative and helped the cops out first and also went to prison. lmao its incredible

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh arguments of this form are always pretty dubious too, if we assume that they can do anything they want they can cut social programs already, and if we assume that "we" have some power over things, letting them cut social programs in exchange is just assuming our own incompetence.

but that goes the other way too, in that it is much more immediately needed to expand social programs in the us, so talk about ubi is most likely dreaming of something both less achieavable and desirable.

A cool thing about the stimulus checks is that they show UBI to be politically possible if you squint a bit. Obviously they are tiny but they've been massively popular still! And while it's true that many social programs need to be expanded, UBI reduces the human cost of them not being in place for many people, along with its positive impacts on labor relations.

IMO any actually possible welfare state in the foreseeable future would benefit from some form of UBI, to paper over the gaps where state services don't work or aren't ideally targeted for some people. It's interesting to think of it in relation to SNAP, which is often critized for being patronising.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

pointsofdata posted:

IMO any actually possible welfare state in the foreseeable future would benefit from some form of UBI, to paper over the gaps where state services don't work or aren't ideally targeted for some people.

Extremely, hideously wrong. Saying it means you've either not put thought into it, or are just extremely bigoted against disabled people.

UBI implemented badly is a landlord subsidy, and papering over the cracks means that you get to tell the more disadvantaged people the system hasn't abandoned them while not giving a poo poo. It also means any non-UBI support systems get on the chopping block during austerity immediately.

You're not papering over gaps in the system you're papering over the people you don't care about.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

endlessmonotony posted:

It also means any non-UBI support systems get on the chopping block during austerity immediately.

yeah this is the really nasty part

"well we give you a thousand dollars! a month now, so obviously you don't need medicaid/food stamps/rent assistance/day care subsidies/wheelchair buses/etc. have some ~~personal responsibility~~ and figure it out for yourself!!"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It also interacts really nastily with people who are discouraged from seeking care due to mental illness and/or society being poo poo, and with people who aren't aware what care they need.

And the cost for things will adjust to everyone having extra money now, fairly inevitably. It'll lead to "food or insulin?" again.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/RachelBitecofer/status/1341569428958425089

lol of course she’s lincoln project

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

yeah this is the really nasty part

"well we give you a thousand dollars! a month now, so obviously you don't need medicaid/food stamps/rent assistance/day care subsidies/wheelchair buses/etc. have some ~~personal responsibility~~ and figure it out for yourself!!"

this is why Nixon was for it. well that and it would be easier to whittle down one program bit by bit, rather than a dozen separate ones

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Extremely, hideously wrong. Saying it means you've either not put thought into it, or are just extremely bigoted against disabled people.

UBI implemented badly is a landlord subsidy, and papering over the cracks means that you get to tell the more disadvantaged people the system hasn't abandoned them while not giving a poo poo. It also means any non-UBI support systems get on the chopping block during austerity immediately.

You're not papering over gaps in the system you're papering over the people you don't care about.

it's not for disability support etc - of course they require dedicated services and resources. it's for the things which are beyond the services the government provides, to make sure that everyone in society can have a decent level of income. there's not a government program to let you go to a restaurant, or take a holiday, or just take some time off work, for most people, or maybe you want to go see a different doctor or get legal advice from someone other that the state's choice.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
america doesn’t need ubi you can just work for uber! - pete buttegig probably

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i swear someone posted one of those nuclear-take op-eds that said uber was the modern UBI, either itt or the tech bubble thread

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh if we do something good then the gop will do bad things may as well not do the good thing at all

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh if we do something good then the gop will do bad things may as well not do the good thing at all

Also just not doing good things ourselves isn’t enough. If anybody else tries to do good things we must prevent them from doing so and actually if you try to do good things it’s not going to work and you are stupid and must hate people.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tk posted:

Also just not doing good things ourselves isn’t enough. If anybody else tries to do good things we must prevent them from doing so and actually if you try to do good things it’s not going to work and you are stupid and must hate people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

tk posted:

We must do bad things because they're less bad than the things the others would do and that's why we're net good even if doing nothing would help more.

Jesus loving christ some of y'all understand systems real poorly for nerds.

Look at what happens to the economy with UBI and extrapolate it to conditions for the worse-off. UBI is a bad idea except when used like in the EU and it's still dangerous here especially if it's big enough for people to live on.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And I mean the real economy not the one the political classes keep imagining.

Everyone having more money available changes the expectations on how people spend and some people's lives are a lot more expensive to live than other people's.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
doing nothing would in fact not help more

sorry for your incorrect opinions on UBI

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

infernal machines posted:

i swear someone posted one of those nuclear-take op-eds that said uber was the modern UBI, either itt or the tech bubble thread

there's definitely a tweet going around that says something like "isn't it great that we have uber as a privately funded safety net before the government safety net"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe that's what i'm thinking of.

i could have sworn there was a financial post or some such op-ed too, but who knows

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

eschaton posted:

doing nothing would in fact not help more

sorry for your incorrect opinions on UBI

It's a subsidy for landlords in most forms.

Once you add in rent control, free food and free healthcare it's suddenly functional but by that point what do you need it for.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

endlessmonotony posted:

We must do bad things because they're less bad than the things the others would do and that's why we're net good even if doing nothing would help more.

Jesus loving christ some of y'all understand systems real poorly for nerds.

Look at what happens to the economy with UBI and extrapolate it to conditions for the worse-off. UBI is a bad idea except when used like in the EU and it's still dangerous here especially if it's big enough for people to live on.

Can you point out where I said we should do a “bad thing” because it’s “less bad” than things others would do? I know it’s harder to win arguments if you can’t start out by telling people what they actually meant, but let’s try I think it might lead to an actual conversation.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

tk posted:

Can you point out where I said we should do a “bad thing” because it’s “less bad” than things others would do? I know it’s harder to win arguments if you can’t start out by telling people what they actually meant, but let’s try I think it might lead to an actual conversation.

You're defining UBI as a good thing completely overlooking the massive problems it has, and if you're not going to do something else there's no conversation to be had.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Giving people money isn't a good thing if all it results in is stores changing the number on price tags to match the new available money.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And if you assume anything else, my guess is that you think supply and demand has anything at all to do with the situation, rather than rentiers extracting every possible cent they can by forming an informal cartel and withholding access to essentials until they have all your money.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

living up to your username i see

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PIZZA.BAT posted:

living up to your username i see

Every post a perfect post/username combo.

I can do this forever it doesn't feel like anything to do it all day long, every day.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

establishing without a doubt that to be well off we need to be protected by a vast bulwark of extremely poor people keeping prices down.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What we need to do is to make it illegal to be a private landlord. That's the problem. UBI's just a way to give people checks for $X and see their living expenses increase by $X and have fifty billion op-eds calling disabled people ungrateful for needing more aid than that $X can buy.

The EU version is different only because it makes the borders more porous for unemployed and disabled people, thus improving freedom of movement.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

endlessmonotony posted:

You're defining UBI as a good thing completely overlooking the massive problems it has, and if you're not going to do something else there's no conversation to be had.

I never defined UBI as a good thing you're making poo poo up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

tk posted:

I never defined UBI as a good thing you're making poo poo up.

Okay well so much for wanting a conversation then.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

endlessmonotony posted:

your argument is that ubi is bad because it would inevitably lead to cuts in other programs is one hell of a take

if we can’t add any more entitlements because then other entitlements will be taken away, we might as well not try anything ever

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

your argument is that ubi is bad because it would inevitably lead to cuts in other programs is one hell of a take

if we can’t add any more entitlements because then other entitlements will be taken away, we might as well not try anything ever

It's a downside, but not even the primary downside.

The primary downside is people trying to live on it without knowing they should get help. Obviously, barely meaningful in the USA, because USA #1. But UBI without rent control is just a landlord subsidy, and lol rent control in the US.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

endlessmonotony posted:

Every post a perfect post/username combo.

I can do this forever it doesn't feel like anything to do it all day long, every day.

hell yeaj

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

endlessmonotony posted:

What we need to do is to make it illegal to be a private landlord. That's the problem.

lmao ok you’re just loving with us now
right

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

lmao ok you’re just loving with us now
right

Real solutions are impossible, so half-assed non-solutions that will just end up making the rich richer is all we have huh.

Yup that sums up UBI.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

endlessmonotony posted:

Real solutions are impossible, so half-assed non-solutions that will just end up making the rich richer is all we have huh.

Yup that sums up UBI.

what is even the “solution” that you are proposing here? abolishing provate ownership of real estate? making all rental properties state owned? how exactly do you propose to so this?

fundamentally, ubi is just shifting the inflection point for taxes. there are already people who pay no tax and get subsidies. the us government has the power of taxation and there is legal precedent for people paying zero or even negative taxes.

“abolish private landlords” is just such a fantastically naive idea that i hardly know where to start. you’d be taking away private property rights from people against centuries of common law precedent. you are not making realistic suggestions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i cannot envision any way in which being able to live where land is cheap instead of being required to live close to employment would ever change the rental calculus

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just had an actual day out in society for the first time in ten months

downtown denver looks like a war zone

the trains just don't run regularly. it comes when it comes. oh and they're 11 bucks for a day pass now vs $5.90 in february.

nobody is wearing masks if you count chinstrappers and dicknosers as non wearers

unhomed people desperately in need of care everywhere

came 6" from getting hit by a car when i was crossing at a white light

got to see a fistfight on a train for absolutely no reason at all

back to being a hermit. gently caress the outside world

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

making all rental properties state owned?

Yes.

Even just strict rent control could salvage UBI, but optimally go straight to "only the state is allowed to rent out living spaces".

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

fundamentally, ubi is just shifting the inflection point for taxes. there are already people who pay no tax and get subsidies. the us government has the power of taxation and there is legal precedent for people paying zero or even negative taxes.

Fundamentally UBI is doing nothing because the costs of living will increase to match it.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

you are not making realistic suggestions.

If we're going by what people will accept as realistic, I'd go with "do absolutely nothing worthwhile with my forum posting".

Oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
"full communism now" is fun to argue on the internet, but it signals you're not having a serious discussion, one that is even in conversation with reality