Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
One big plus for the Instant Pot is making stock. It's excellent for that. Oh, and baked beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what’s the chicken and rice formula

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can we talk about this in this thread?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
i got an ooni pizza oven. man i hope this works.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad mentioned a day or two ago that he wanted a new saucepan for Christmas if I could find a good one.

So today on my way home from an unrelated day trip, I swung by Williams-Sonoma and got him a 3-qt All-Clad D5 Stainless Steel saucepan since they were on sale. I’ll have to double-check the model number to be sure but I think it might be this one?

I know All-Clad makes awesome poo poo, but how does their D5 stainless steel line compare to the rest of their catalog (like their copper core stuff for example)?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 24, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can we talk about this in this thread?

It’s kitchen equipment, it’s thread legal

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

whos that broooown posted:

i got an ooni pizza oven. man i hope this works.

Post trip report please! We're definitely getting one (or a competitor) as soon as we buy a house, but that could be a year away.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad mentioned a day or two ago that he wanted a new saucepan for Christmas if I could find a good one.

So today on my way home from an unrelated day trip, I swung by Williams-Sonoma and got him a 3-qt All-Clad D5 Stainless Steel saucepan since they were on sale. I’ll have to double-check the model number to be sure but I think it might be this one?

I know All-Clad makes awesome poo poo, but how does their D5 stainless steel line compare to the rest of their catalog (like their copper core stuff for example)?

The D5 is 5-ply and very, very nice cookware imo. Good pickup especially if you paid ~$100 for it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Steve Yun posted:

It’s kitchen equipment, it’s thread legal

Cool.

So then, who the hell thought it was a good idea to combine a mini oven with a game console?!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

barkbell posted:

what’s the chicken and rice formula

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Cool.

So then, who the hell thought it was a good idea to combine a mini oven with a game console?!

The same people who thought it was a good idea to sell fire logs with 11 herbs and spices mixed in.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The all clad stuff I own is d5. For some reason it tends to get discounted heavily once in a while which is good for me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

The D5 is 5-ply and very, very nice cookware imo. Good pickup especially if you paid ~$100 for it.

Awesome, thanks!

... although now I’m wondering if I should swap the pan I got with the brushed version since WS has them both on sale for the same price. I’m guessing both versions are functionally equivalent and the brushed D5 just looks a bit nicer, but maybe it also performs slightly better for some reason?

Actually while I’m here I might as well ask about electric knife sharpeners too. We need a knife sharpener BAD, and an easy-to-use electric one would probably be best since my dad will be the one using it. Are Chef’sChoice sharpeners still any good since the OP got written? Williams Sonoma has both the CC Professional 130 Platinum and the CC 1520 Angle Select on sale for about $150 and I’m wondering which one is a better buy if all we have are old CutCo knives. Or if I should get something else entirely.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 24, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you're willing to spend 150ish buy a ken onion worksharp, it will do a far better job.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

I. M. Gei posted:

Awesome, thanks!

... although now I’m wondering if I should swap the pan I got with the brushed version since WS has them both on sale for the same price. I’m guessing both versions are functionally equivalent and the brushed D5 just looks a bit nicer, but maybe it also performs slightly better for some reason?

Actually while I’m here I might as well ask about electric knife sharpeners too. We need a knife sharpener BAD, and an easy-to-use electric one would probably be best since my dad will be the one using it. Are Chef’sChoice sharpeners still any good since the OP got written? Williams Sonoma has both the CC Professional 130 Platinum and the CC 1520 Angle Select on sale for about $150 and I’m wondering which one is a better buy if all we have are old CutCo knives. Or if I should get something else entirely.
In my experience, brushed will look a lot nastier a lot sooner. Shiny is easier ro get clean.

And get the ken onion sharpener.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was just going to post about sharpening... my dad bought one of these guys a couple years ago after reading up on sharpener recommendations:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html

there's an aftermarket angle guide that bolts on. it still requires some coordination, but it's fast as hell and leaves a great edge. we just used 400, 800, and a buffer, and my knives are sharp as gently caress. it can also sit stably on its back, so that you can sharpen your Hanzo steel.

might not be good for someone who wants an unfuckupable solution, but it's versatile, cheap, and good.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
FYI the air fryer attchment doesn't work for 8qt IP's!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

Cool.

I think weird marketing gimmicks has been a part of KFC marketing for a little bit now. They've made KFC candles in years past, the aforementioned firelog (can be found on Amazon), and several other gimmicks. Also of note this year is the 15-minute Lifetime TV special A Recipe for Seduction starring Mario Lopez of Saved by the Bell fame.

https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/1335947170281885699

So basically, the same people who got Mario Lopez to do that also made a video game console with a heating pan for fried chicken.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

if you're willing to spend 150ish buy a ken onion worksharp, it will do a far better job.

I doubt my dad would be willing to use a belt-style sharpener like this. He isn’t the handiest guy with tools. Those Chef’sChoice disc sharpeners look way easier for him to use, which I think is gonna be a more important feature for his needs than making a sharper edge.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Eeyo posted:

I think weird marketing gimmicks has been a part of KFC marketing for a little bit now. They've made KFC candles in years past, the aforementioned firelog (can be found on Amazon), and several other gimmicks. Also of note this year is the 15-minute Lifetime TV special A Recipe for Seduction starring Mario Lopez of Saved by the Bell fame.

So basically, the same people who got Mario Lopez to do that also made a video game console with a heating pan for fried chicken.

Wait is that console thing real? I assumed it was a joke.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Crunchy Black posted:

FYI the air fryer attchment doesn't work for 8qt IP's!

For air frying I just use my convection oven, and have a tray/rack with enough clearance to get good airflow on the underside of the food. Although I only really do this for the occasional frozen potato things.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Wait is that console thing real? I assumed it was a joke.

It's real bro

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's real bro

Is anything real anymore. Like, really. I mean really real. I'm starting to buy into this simulation argument.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Base Emitter posted:

For air frying I just use my convection oven, and have a tray/rack with enough clearance to get good airflow on the underside of the food. Although I only really do this for the occasional frozen potato things.

hmm my oven is supposed to have a convection function but idk how well it works

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Crunchy Black posted:

hmm my oven is supposed to have a convection function but idk how well it works

no convection conviction?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

I think you mean Lifetime movie featuring KF. C. Slater

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was just going to post about sharpening... my dad bought one of these guys a couple years ago after reading up on sharpener recommendations:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html

there's an aftermarket angle guide that bolts on. it still requires some coordination, but it's fast as hell and leaves a great edge. we just used 400, 800, and a buffer, and my knives are sharp as gently caress. it can also sit stably on its back, so that you can sharpen your Hanzo steel.

might not be good for someone who wants an unfuckupable solution, but it's versatile, cheap, and good.

Do you have a link handy for that angle guide?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Stalizard posted:

Do you have a link handy for that angle guide?

I'm not positive it's this one, but it's like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Knife-Sharpening-Angle-Guide-Sharpen/dp/B01HVXFP80

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Thanks a bunch man, I've had that sander for years and I never thought that there would be a dedicated angle guide for it. Neat!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hed posted:

KF. C. Slater

:golfclap:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Stalizard posted:

Thanks a bunch man, I've had that sander for years and I never thought that there would be a dedicated angle guide for it. Neat!

I'm glad it was useful!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have a frier and a air fryer and I got a waffle maker for Christmas this year. The friar is good for making french fries it makes them taste better than when you cook them using oven or microwave a good tip for the air frier is that when you use a recipe you should only cook for half of the time that the recipe says and then you should flip whatever you are cooking in your air fried over and then cook it again for the other half of the time that the recipie told you I like to use it to cook chicken wings and chicken nuggies but it also works good for cooking breakfast sausages to have with the waffles that I can make for breakfast with my new waffle maker I got for Christmas I really recommend that everyone should get a airfrieder it works super good for when you want to fry with air instead of using oil like normal do when you want to "fry" cook foods

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a place I can find a Belgian siphon coffee brewer that isn’t a Chinese knockoff

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone here own an aebleskiver pan? Looking to pick one up as a late Christmas present for someone who's expressed interest in them, and I'm starting to suspect that all the useful reviews on these things are going to be on Danish sites I wouldn't even know to search for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I guess this goes in the kitchen thread, but I recently watched this this video about dishwashers and how you should actually fill the pre-wash cycle measuring cup with dish soap to get good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

I'd been pre-washing all my dishes forever because it always did a piss poor job if I just stuck them in there. I decided to give it a shot and did as he suggested and and used the pre-wash cup for some extra soap and it works perfectly now with no pre-washing at all. I'm kinda blown away.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Post trip report please! We're definitely getting one (or a competitor) as soon as we buy a house, but that could be a year away.

I did a test run today, no actual cooking.

It was tough for me to light since I have no experience without a chimney starter. My normal newspaper was a huge failure and produced a shitton of ash. I finally got the thing going with some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, but buying a Firestarter would probably be a lot easier.

Once I got it going it was pretty easy, just keep adding wood/charcoal in small amounts. I had some hickory chunks, and it seemed to work well. It gets hot as poo poo. I'd recommend getting an infrared thermometer.

I'll let you know when I actually cook a pizza, but the weather is going to be poo poo for next couple days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Instant Pot arrived today and I made a stew with chuck pot roast, potatoes, celery, and baby carrots. It was... okay? I let it naturally vent for 40 min after cooking to help reduce the liquid but it still wasn't enough. Is this a situation where I should just make it on the stove in a stock pot? Or I should've just put less water in to start with?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You could always reduce the amount of water in the first place, or you can pop the top off after it’s done with pressure cooking and set it to simmer mode to reduce down.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

My Instant Pot arrived today and I made a stew with chuck pot roast, potatoes, celery, and baby carrots. It was... okay? I let it naturally vent for 40 min after cooking to help reduce the liquid but it still wasn't enough. Is this a situation where I should just make it on the stove in a stock pot? Or I should've just put less water in to start with?

I would depressurize it quickly and reduce with the lid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

A lot of "pressure cooker" recipes are adapted from slow cooker recipes and don't adjust the liquid content, so be wary of recipes with a lot of liquid in them. The IP's strength is in compressing time and making things more tender than they normally would be, and doing it without losing much liquid in the process. Some of my favorite recipes don't have any extra liquid at all in them.