Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
this game doesn't have an AI, which most games have had for almost 20 years now, traffic and pedestrians is worse than Mafia 1 which was released when I was a young teen, that one you could ride trains, street cars and even do racing on a race track!

if you are going to say "BUT RPG" well it fails at rpg, it fails at sim, all the supposed "vertical" space doesn't exist, you can only get in a few buildings and your house is a squalor forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Oh yeah it is buggy but that is beside the point that this game lacks so much, and so much that was advertised!

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Celexi posted:

if you are going to say "BUT RPG" well it fails at rpg

Not by my account. I certainly cared more about the characters and story and outcome of this game more than any of the other titles being named here. Never found the characters in GTA or RDR or Mafia terribly sympathetic or compelling, certainly not in the same way (and absolutely not Watch Dogs or AC). The last game that really reached me in the same way was the original Mass Effect trilogy, and I think that’s a more apt comparison.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
And despite all that, it is still good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Memnaelar posted:

I just think it's weird that in order to get "street cred" or "xps", I need to walk around putting a bullet in the head of every person I silently, bloodlessly dropped with my l33t hacking skills. It kind of squicks me out to be honest and it's also not a particularly fun treadmill to run in terms of gameplay. Just toss it onto the pile of weird-rear end design decisions in this game.

Why do you need these things, gerbil? You already bloodlessly dropped everyone. You're powerful enough and will continue to be so. Stop spinning the wheel. That your addictions to numbers going up are enough to make you do things that make you uncomfortable are a warning.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I absolutely love that a huge portion of the people making GBS threads up this thread refuse to discuss anything about the game other than the things you they don't like :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, few people would dispute that within Cyberpunk 2077 is a very good 30 hour, linear story. I myself ranked it the fifth favorite game I played in 2020! If CP2077 were nothing but a series of quest hubs that connected the main plot, character missions, and a few of the more involved sidequests, it would have been a stronger product on balance. But CP2077 tacks on a bunch of systems, whether through the open world or the illusion of a deeply reactive and immersive roleplaying system that either flat-out don't work, are shown to be much shallower than advertised, or are superfluous to the experience. The drop in quality is so immediately noticeable that it weakens one's overall impression of the whole. This is what people have been calling attention to, in pretty rational and well-reasoned arguments, that are usually met with "la la la I'm having fun no GTA NO GTA!"

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, few people would dispute that within Cyberpunk 2077 is a very good 30 hour, linear story. I myself ranked it the fifth favorite game I played in 2020! If CP2077 were nothing but a series of quest hubs that connected the main plot, character missions, and a few of the more involved sidequests, it would have been a stronger product on balance. But CP2077 tacks on a bunch of systems, whether through the open world or the illusion of a deeply reactive and immersive roleplaying system that either flat-out don't work, are shown to be much shallower than advertised, or are superfluous to the experience. The drop in quality is so immediately noticeable that it weakens one's overall impression of the whole. This is what people have been calling attention to, in pretty rational and well-reasoned arguments, that are usually met with "la la la I'm having fun no GTA NO GTA!"

It's this for me. The rushed and broken gameplay implementation severely waters down the great execution of the story, art and the game world.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Celexi posted:

this game doesn't have an AI, which most games have had for almost 20 years now

This is Delamain erasure

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, few people would dispute that within Cyberpunk 2077 is a very good 30 hour, linear story. I myself ranked it the fifth favorite game I played in 2020! If CP2077 were nothing but a series of quest hubs that connected the main plot, character missions, and a few of the more involved sidequests, it would have been a stronger product on balance.

Hey turns out Cyberpunk is just like the witcher 3

(with much better gameplay and less padding on the main plot imo)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I did like CP2077 a bit more than the Witcher because I always found Geralt to be a pretty dull protagonist, whereas Keanu was exactly what I needed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

fennesz posted:

I absolutely love that a huge portion of the people making GBS threads up this thread refuse to discuss anything about the game other than the things you they don't like :allears:

Best farcry clone in the year 2020!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Hmm i never expected to get called a oval office by a suicidal taxi

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I did like CP2077 a bit more than the Witcher because I always found Geralt to be a pretty dull protagonist, whereas Keanu was exactly what I needed.

This game did an excellent job with all of the extended cast

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's even a "follow the drat train" reference in the game, which makes it GOTY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If there is a story expansion for this game I hope they bring back the entire main cast instead of shuffling it off into "this is the area with completely different characters who disappear once you leave" like most DLC.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I would be cool with a DLC completely disconnected from the main storyline.

Let us play the whole back story of Melissa Rory.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It again depends entirely what you're expecting and are interested in. I was expecting a rich story with great characters set against a cyberpunk backdrop and that's exactly what was delivered. The other mechanics don't water down the experience because they're not a big part of the game for me. If the game had the best driving implementation ever I'd still avoid driving as much as possible because I don't want to play a driving game. Maybe the npcs are complex simulations leading complex lives or maybe they're a facade that disappear as soon as my back is turned - guess I'll never know because I don't care enough to glance at them for more than a second.

The bugs suck, especially when they impact the missions or story, and the map needs to do a much better job of highlighting actually good missions as opposed to garbage filler and loving used car sales, but there are no fundamental flaws I've found that diminished the game for me.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 25, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Chalks posted:

It again depends entirely what you're expecting and are interested in. I was expecting a rich story with great characters set against a cyberpunk backdrop and that's exactly what was delivered. The other mechanics don't water down the experience because they're not a big part of the game for me. If the game had the best driving implementation ever I'd still avoid driving as much as possible because I don't want to play a driving game. Maybe the npcs are complex simulations leading complex lives or maybe they're a facade that disappear as soon as my back is turned - guess I'll never know because I don't care enough to glance at them for more than a second.

The bugs suck, especially when they impact the missions or story, and the map needs to do a much better job of highlighting actually good missions as opposed to garbage filler and loving used car sales, but there are no fundamental flaws I've found that diminished the game for me.

This is good but you should have closed it with "you just wanted GTA" to make it thread compliant.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They should have cut the railroaded action set pieces or actually made them properly playable.

Like the post-heist chase with the motorcycle assassins, my first instinct after over a decade of games with guns and tyres letting me shoot out tyres was to just shoot out the tyres on the bikes but no, because none of the tyres are real.

Then even more ridiculously it apparently didn’t matter if I actually bothered to shoot at anyone because the whole thing was just scripted for them to die at set points right down to the finale, where you’re meant to be desperately emptying your gun into the face of a dude trying to kill you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

If there is a story expansion for this game I hope they bring back the entire main cast instead of shuffling it off into "this is the area with completely different characters who disappear once you leave" like most DLC.

Eh I'm torn on that. One of my few issues with the Witcher expansions is that the absense of certain characters from the story makes no sense depending on the ending you got. On the other hand though it's nice to have a complete, standalone story rather than just another chapter of the main plot, which should be a complete story in and of itself.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I disagree, because the flaws of the game, like the lack of reactive rofleplaying or the passive AI or the problems with balance and hacking would also exist if the game would be a series of quest hubs. edit: I'm forgetting the bugs, lol.
Also, a quest hub structure would have produced a less impressive and immersive city and would have produced load times between places. You literally don't win anything by splitting the world (well, except performance?), I don't see any reason to go back to making the game use a series of small to medium levels.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 25, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I disagree, because the flaws of the game, like the lack of reactive rofleplaying or the passive AI or the problems with balance and hacking would also exist if the game would be a series of quest hubs. edit: I'm forgetting the bugs, lol.
Also, a quest hub structure would have produced a less impressive and immersive city and would have produced load times between places. You literally don't win anything by splitting the world (well, except performance?), I don't see any reason to go back to making the game use a series of small to medium levels.

Maybe the problems would have persisted, maybe they wouldn't. Impossible to say now. One thing that seems clear to me though is that CDPR did not have the project management competency to deliver on a game of this scope, and that scaling down the breadth of its systems could have led to a fuller and more robust implementation of the systems it did choose to preserve. It seems clear to me that the intro mission as it was previewed in the 2018 E3 trailer was an aspirational goal for the type of reactive roleplaying CDPR wanted to provide, which they consistently missed the mark on for all subsequent story quests in the game.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pathetic. I expected better.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Bakeneko's don't have reflections, right? Just a normal cat...

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The only significant bug I’ve hit in around 60 hours on the Series X is that Dum Dum won’t show up at Totentanz or whatever that place is called.

Even after the new patch that was supposed to fix this exact thing, he’s still missing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have to be honest, the game gets a bit embarrassing with the whole Johnny the rocker, Santiago the Nomad, Thompson the reporter and Rogue the Merc assaulting Arasaka. It's fanfic tier. It's so clearly taken from a tabletop session from Pondsmith that he turned it into canon for his own game.
I don't care about your OC dude.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

The only significant bug I’ve hit in around 60 hours on the Series X is that Dum Dum won’t show up at Totentanz or whatever that place is called.

Even after the new patch that was supposed to fix this exact thing, he’s still missing.

I still have the bug of the holo calls being 'corrupted', as with Delamain. It was supposed to be fixed in 1.05, I suppose it is only fixed for people who start a new game, for me it's too late.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What does Jackie sound like in the Spanish language version?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MarshyMcFly posted:

You give up skippy to Regina Jones? No way I’m doing that!

Him screaming "BAD USER" everytime I shot someone afterwards got old very quickly so I gladly gave him up eventually.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Turin Turambar posted:

I have to be honest, the game gets a bit embarrassing with the whole Johnny the rocker, Santiago the Nomad, Thompson the reporter and Rogue the Merc assaulting Arasaka. It's fanfic tier. It's so clearly taken from a tabletop session from Pondsmith that he turned it into canon for his own game.

Honestly i felt that whole sequence was way too much "tell" even though it's in the literal sense showing you something. Since at least two of those characters are around, I think it would've been a lot less embarrassing to have to piece it together from them.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

CP2077 has a lot of technical issues that are getting bad press, and in doing so kind of cover for deeper, system-level issues that are much harder to fix and are unlikely to receive as much attention. It's easy and obvious to make a video lolling at all pedestrians simultaneously exiting their cars, but somewhat less apparent that the roleplaying elements and emergent gameplay are rather anemic compared to what was advertised. It's also easier for people to defend the technical issues ("CDPR will fix them") rather than the shortcomings in game systems, which from what I've seen seems to amount to "lol this game isn't supposed to be GTA owned scrub."

In terms of the deeper systems, I think Chunnel provided an excellent articulation of why 2077 feels like such a step down from W3 in terms of providing the player with a sense of agency and choice. It's a good post and I was a little sorry to see it get buried under the inane GTA V videos.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah the choice options, even cosmetic ones, are night and day (city) compared to Witcher 3. Just about every side quest in TW3 has some wrinkle that Geralt has to deal with, a duplicitous questgiver or something else that complicates an otherwise simple “complete and turn in” loop, forcing Geralt to make some kind of decision.

Those instances were way more diffuse, too - there wasn’t a sense that there existed a strict delineation between self-contained core / secondary quest chains (romances, etc) and everything else. You could walk into some random village and end up finding yourself being asked to keep someone’s dark secret, or save someone from debt, or some other thing that’s typically grey. They weren’t cinematic, but they left you feeling like you had to make a call.

The closest thing CP has to this, beyond the ultra-cinematic core quests and a few sidequest chains (the Peralezes, love interests) is a very occasional request to go non-lethal on a Far Cry-style location raid. As a substitute for Witcher-style bespoke complication it frankly sucks. Not only does it feel low-effort but it’s hurt by how pacifism was more of an ambient character build choice in immersive sim games, making it something we’ve seen before, to greater or lesser degrees of relevance to outcomes. Dishonored this ain’t.

sean10mm posted:

One of my better pics, I think.

Forget the Johnny bullshit, my new main quest is to find this sweet rear end bike!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Turin Turambar posted:

What

Just

Thats peak cyberpunk. If you dont want to play guitar so hard you start a riot so that you, a guy with a vhs camera for an eyeball, a man in tiger print leather pants and the genderbent singer from twisted sister can run into an office block and start delivering massive headshots to gonks all over the place then ijdk

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the best part of the thread is all the people making up poo poo because blood is in the water and half of them are probably still extremely assmad from getting owned for liking some combination of Andromeda/Anthem/Fallout 76, etc

The game doesn't have AI? Give me a break lmao

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What

Just

Thats peak cyberpunk. If you dont want to play guitar so hard you start a riot so that you, a guy with a vhs camera for an eyeball, a man in tiger print leather pants and the genderbent singer from twisted sister can run into an office block and start delivering massive headshots to gonks all over the place then ijdk

Yeah the Johnny flashback is the most cyberpunk part of CP2077, it's literally a (violent)revolt against authority.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They cut the bit where Jackie covers you while you meet with the Militech lady right? They cut a lot.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I am curious why they cut t-bug out of the no tell motel bit. It was pretty telegraphed how friendly she was with Dex but then she gets ganked off screen instead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Horizon Burning posted:

The game doesn't have AI? Give me a break lmao

I mean it literally doesn't have chase or driving ai. All the driving sections are on rails. Which leads to really weird poo poo like "running away" from non-existant cops with sirens blaring with Kerry.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I am curious why they cut t-bug out of the no tell motel bit. It was pretty telegraphed how friendly she was with Dex but then she gets ganked off screen instead.

And also makes V seem really cold. Like sure she wasn't your best friend, but you can literally only mention her again to the vendor she sends you to for the shop/breach protocol tutorial.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 25, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

What

Just

I think they're talking about the ending.

Which is why I went with the Arasaka choice which is the only correct one clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lemonadesweetheart posted:

There's pretty clearly been a massive re-write at some point. There's a lot of "cop content" in the game - which is a bit weird considering you play as a criminal. I think for a lot of the development time the player was probably going to be a cop of some sort. Then it was going to be a heist story and then at some point Keanu agree to player Silverhand so that aspect of the story was massively enhanced.