Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
So Judy eventually sends you a text saying that they buried Evelyn at the Columbarium. I went there looking and didn't find her site, but there are quite a few for other characters. Including some for characters that I wouldn't expect such as:

Neat little bit of lore there like confirming that Peralez's brother was real and not a fake memory. You can even find the graves for Alt Cunningham and our good friend Jackie.

I tried to cover the whole area, but might have missed it. Anyone find Evelyn's grave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

socialsecurity posted:

What exactly is your problem with V I think they are well done for a game like this.

I don't really get any sense of personality from female V, other than her VA makes her sound sensitive and canonically even corpo she's dumber than a bag of nails.
like a LOT of her dialogue is her not picking up on very basic things or being surprised at things that were explained just seconds earlier.

one thing i really didnt like early on was that i think johnny asks you why you're pursuing the main plot and you get given a list of options that mostly boil down to "they hurt me personally" and there's no option to say you're doing it for your dead friend.

personally i think the VA is competent, and good in emotional scenes but its also very monotonous, she always has the same open, sensitive tone and i never really felt it remotely fit who V is in the game: a ragged, dying gun for hire dressed like a clown. she sounds like a young social worker.
she did totally carry the clunky dialogue in a lot of places though, so it was a good job i dont wanna undersell the talent of the VA it just didnt make V interest me as a character. she's less a killer with a heart of gold and more a heart of gold who happens to kill, she has less edge than han solo

i also rarely if ever felt any of the responses i could choose were what i wanted her to say at that moment and rarely gave any new insight into the character which is more or less what i'd consider the two things that make good playable character writing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

new vegas is way less fun to play and uglier than the devils face but cyberpunk isnt even close to the same level as an rpg and doesnt really try to be an RPG at all (it was originally marketed as one but oh well)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

new vegas is way less fun to play and uglier than the devils face but cyberpunk isnt even close to the same level as an rpg and doesnt really try to be an RPG at all (it was originally marketed as one but oh well)

This level of pointless exaggeration is just kinda sad, it's Christmas man go find something that makes you happy.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

sean10mm posted:

For me personally it's telling that every time someone names a game to critically compare Cyberpunk to, it's a game that I think is complete dogshit to actually play compared to Cyberpunk.

I get this but most people probably (especially me) don't probably have nuanced enough opinions about games, writing and art in general not to voice their opinions without comparisons. And it doesn't really help the thread when some people kramer in to these comparisons with the most uncharitable readings of them with "OH, you compare this to what I think is poo poo? YOU MUST LIKE poo poo, HUH"

sean10mm posted:

New Vegas was also a game that was only properly finished after a long string of patches and DLCs which followed a launch decried by the gaming media as a buggy omnishamles. And then a corporation hosed everyone involved in actually constructing that world over.

I get this as well and time will only tell what gets fixed or added in the future and what happens in general. Sure would have been nice that a game with the manpower, time and budget as Cyberpunk and CDPR would have delivered a bit more on the stability and polish front but like with New Vegas, a lot of it wasn't in the devs hands. I'm hoping that CDPR didn't have their bug tracking on post it notes but you never know. Much like the base release, I have hope but no expectations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wonder if some of these quests are level bound. Because I did The Heist at 16 at my quest log is just exploding and NPCs are spamming my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Katt posted:

I wonder if some of these quests are level bound. Because I did The Heist at 16 at my quest log is just exploding and NPCs are spamming my phone.

I think it's street cred more than anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Witcher 3 and this share the same problem where speech prompts often give you a poor idea of what Geralt/V is actually going to say once you click button.

I mean games are generally better judged by... "fun to play"... rather than abstract criteria of ~genre purity~

And the bolded part feels like silly hyperbole but whatever.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 25, 2020

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Delizin posted:

Anyone find Evelyn's grave?

yeah look again, it's nice

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Perhaps there are traits of roleplaying games that people find appealing and enjoyable and get disappointed when a game that says it is one does not in fact have those traits.

Also Fun to Play is subjective and nebulous as gently caress to the point of meaning nothing.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think it's street cred more than anything.

31 then :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Twibbit posted:

Perhaps there are traits of roleplaying games that people find appealing and enjoyable and get disappointed when a game that says it is one does not in fact have those traits.

Also Fun to Play is subjective and nebulous as gently caress to the point of meaning nothing.

Yeah but they were the one who brought up that the not a ~real RPG~ is more fun to play for themselves!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Delizin posted:

So Judy eventually sends you a text saying that they buried Evelyn at the Columbarium. I went there looking and didn't find her site, but there are quite a few for other characters. Including some for characters that I wouldn't expect such as:

Neat little bit of lore there like confirming that Peralez's brother was real and not a fake memory. You can even find the graves for Alt Cunningham and our good friend Jackie.

I tried to cover the whole area, but might have missed it. Anyone find Evelyn's grave?

Probably not because unless I’m mistaken all those other people are dead before you can leave the lockdown area so their graves can be there the entire time without being anachronistic, and just lol at the idea that this game dynamically reacts to loving anything that happens in the world on as detailed a level as that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Probably not because unless I’m mistaken all those other people are dead before you can leave the lockdown area so their graves can be there the entire time without being anachronistic, and just lol at the idea that this game dynamically reacts to loving anything that happens in the world on as detailed a level as that.

No that place does actually update and change based on who dies.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Merry xmas goons.

I finally 100% the game. I've been avoiding this thread in the meantime to avoid spoilers.

Overall, I thought the story was compelling, and the bittersweet ending of finally ridding V of Johnny's conscience results in strangely missing that rear end in a top hat in V's head. Even though their consciousnesses are technically separated, you get the sense that they both left a lasting impression on one another. The song "Never Fade Away" that was released by CDPR ended up being a perfect summary of the game. The story was a bit condensed, but I think they wanted more people to experience the ending, and shortening the story is perhaps the only way to reliably do that.

I don't understand those who are saying that the story lacks heart or whatever. Those people either haven't played the game or don't understand the storyline.

Combat is amazing varied and fun. I hated how the Witcher 3 basically locked you into a particular playstyle, and was unresponsive to inputs. They completely fixed that in this game and then some.

My main criticism of the game is that while some open world aspects of the game are amazing, other aspects are immersion-breakingly bad. The AI is awful. It is only marginally more dynamic than the AI in the Witcher 3, which was already an extremely low bar. This results in a hollow feeling of interaction that is reminiscent of Novigrad: a city that is beautiful to look at, but only that. It's like window shopping versus actually being in a store. I feel like too many shortcuts were used here. The random spawning of police in plain sight, no police car chases, citizens whose only response is to cower in fear or run away, cars that will sit there forever if their lane in slightly blocked, etc... All of this kind of breaks immersion in an otherwise impressively detailed futuristic city that is the best of it's kind in any open world game.

Another shortcut they used that breaks immersion is when turning around causes all of the randomly generated vehicles and people to drop out of memory, and turning back around results in completely new random vehicles and people
being generated. The weird part is that the vehicles manage to retain their position, however the type of car is re-randomized. I don't understand why it's difficult to keep the originally generated vehicle if the game is already storing the position. This should be a hashable value with the 29 base models of cars with limited modifications, so it would be a constant time lookup, and shouldn't really affect performance much.

Despite those issues, I'll still be replaying it from the beginning even though I've already 100% the game. Mediocre games just never do that for me, so I don't understand all the hate.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Witcher 3 and this share the same problem where speech prompts often give you a poor idea of what Geralt/V is actually going to say once you click button

God damnit, I said SHOVE him, you spastic gently caress!

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

No that place does actually update and change based on who dies.

The tv content will also reference things the player does if I remember right. Although the radio does keep talking about Mayor Rhynes in the present tense.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The TV and radio were fairly broken in referencing NPCs/world events that I had interacted with

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah look again, it's nice

Sure enough, it's there. I'm pretty sure I had to reload my game after I got the text though, because I'm fairly certain I had looked in that spot and there wasn't anything before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This thread is also a textbook example of how utterly meaningless RPG has become.

This game has

Character Level
Attribute Points
An infamy level that gates content based on your reputation
In-depth weapon and armor itemization & crafting
Over a hundred skill/perks that can dramatically impact or completely change your playstyle (and a bunch of useless ones)
Cybernetic enhancements that can completely alter or change your playstyle entirely
Branching dialogue trees
A massive open world that is partially level-gated

and yet for many posters ITT, these don’t add up to an RPG, because one or more of these isn’t robust or centralized enough.

This game is as much of an RPG as Deus Ex, The Witcher 3, Dishonored, or Fallout, IMO, it literally has everything any FPSRPG I can think of has except for, like, weapon durability?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The game is fun and I have a lot of fun playing it. In fact, I'm not playing it right now but I wish I was. Welp, bye.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Delizin posted:

That's a cool find.

Dec 25, 2020

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I am curious why they cut t-bug out of the no tell motel bit. It was pretty telegraphed how friendly she was with Dex but then she gets ganked off screen instead.

her death is foreshadowing that arasaka has weaponized soulkiller as ICE for their most sensitive networks

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

This thread is also a textbook example of how utterly meaningless RPG has become.

This game has

Character Level
Attribute Points
An infamy level that gates content based on your reputation
In-depth weapon and armor itemization & crafting
Over a hundred skill/perks that can dramatically impact or completely change your playstyle (and a bunch of useless ones)
Cybernetic enhancements that can completely alter or change your playstyle entirely
Branching dialogue trees
A massive open world that is partially level-gated

and yet for many posters ITT, these don’t add up to an RPG, because one or more of these isn’t robust or centralized enough.

This game is as much of an RPG as Deus Ex, The Witcher 3, Dishonored, or Fallout, IMO, it literally has everything any FPSRPG I can think of has except for, like, weapon durability?

RPG for me was almost always a meaningless term and mostly it seems to make everyone just confused. Most modern Ubisoft games implement some if not all features on that list but they're not "RPG"s. Those are all game/system mechanics and you can make an RPG with almost zero of those features.

RPG for me has always been about world building and immersion and good systemic and game mechanics are the glue that holds it together.

I mean I try to withhold my posting from doing purity tests about "what's a true RPG" because I don't actually know and don't give that much of a poo poo. I just want to forget myself in fictional relationships, politics and intrigue and hopefully have a smooth gaming experience while I'm at it. Cyberpunk did one those extremely well and the other serviceably enough to have FUN™.

e. I remember having a conversation in my teenage years with a friend who told me that Fallout wasn't an RPG because it didn't have magic and sword fighting etc in it like Diablo II. I tried telling him that he was confusing fantasy with RPG lol

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 25, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

110 posted:

her death is foreshadowing that arasaka has weaponized soulkiller as ICE for their most sensitive networks

She got soulkilled? Is this mentioned anywhere? The hotel wasn't Arasaka's and her death felt more like getting overloaded when the alarm/system went on lockdown without being able to disconnect (or more likely, her trying to push through it to give V and Jackie an out). The only additiona conversation about T-Bug I found was with the netrunner she sends you to pick Ping from so I'd like to know if there's more of her story out there.

Dec 25, 2020

sean10mm posted:

Witcher 3 and this share the same problem where speech prompts often give you a poor idea of what Geralt/V is actually going to say once you click button.

We were discussing this earlier re: Alpha Protocol. Seems to have become the standard fare for RPG's these days (by which I mean like the past decade). I think it started with Mass Effect. I remember that during the hype leading up to ME's release, Bioware actually made a point to talk about and demonstrate it, something like "options are summarized to give you an idea of what the response will be, this will declutter the UI and heighten the characterization of the PC"

which I take to mean "we think too many of our target demographic can't read"

And like I said earlier I'm not 100% opposed to it, but there's far too many cases where a dialogue option does far too little to convey to the player what the resulting dialogue will actually be like.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My first RPG back in the PC XT and DOS days was some loving maze runner with zero story at all (gently caress me if I could remember what it was called). Just about killing things and bumping stats, and getting out of that dungeon. Apparently that counted as being an RPG. So I guess CP2077 is one.

Dec 25, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She got soulkilled? Is this mentioned anywhere? The hotel wasn't Arasaka's and her death felt more like getting overloaded when the alarm/system went on lockdown without being able to disconnect (or more likely, her trying to push through it to give V and Jackie an out). The only additiona conversation about T-Bug I found was with the netrunner she sends you to pick Ping from so I'd like to know if there's more of her story out there.

I don't know if it's ever specifically spelled out, but once that plot point is revealed I sort of thought I was just supposed to put two and two together.

we know that they're deploying soulkiller in their net. if the death of arasaka himself didn't call for them to do that, what would? I don't think it's a coincidence that t-bug was killed right after security was alerted to his death. and the hotel might not be technically arasaka property (or maybe it is?) but they're clearly in de facto control of it, with their reps able to give clearance to bring live military hardware through security, and the fact that they can have the whole building locked down at a word.

110 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 25, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

110 posted:

We were discussing this earlier re: Alpha Protocol. Seems to have become the standard fare for RPG's these days (by which I mean like the past decade). I think it started with Mass Effect. I remember that during the hype leading up to ME's release, Bioware actually made a point to talk about and demonstrate it, something like "options are summarized to give you an idea of what the response will be, this will declutter the UI and heighten the characterization of the PC"

which I take to mean "we think too many of our target demographic can't read"

And like I said earlier I'm not 100% opposed to it, but there's far too many cases where a dialogue option does far too little to convey to the player what the resulting dialogue will actually be like.

I think it's more "Too many of our target audience are sitting far away from a small-ish and lovely TV".

But to inject more controversy, am I the only person who wishes RPGs were voiced less? I loving hate listening to a voice actor drone on for minutes at a time, I wish games would stop having VO for every meaningless thing you can ask an NPC. I can read at least ten times as fast as anyone can reasonably talk, I'd much rather bang out all the mostly-meaningless dialog that way and only spend time when the NPC starts talking, indicating they have something actually interesting to say.

And on a similar note, stop writing so much loving dialog. Conversations should be interesting, bits of new information to be extracted. Stuff the oft-repeated breadcrumb bits into a unified Small talk/Rumors option the way old games used to, and when a character tells me what they want, they should say it one time, not three.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 25, 2020

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Konpeki Plaza is on the Arasaka Waterfront and has close ties to Arasaka. pretty sure Arasaka owns Konpeki.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

You can escape the lockdown.

I don't know how hard it is, because I got lucky on my first try. The message to turn back popped up, but nothing happened. I thought it was meant to be possibly until they warped me back on another try. You can fast travel outside the district once you've gone out of it once though. Just pointing it out in case you want to look for sequence breaks.

Dec 25, 2020

WirelessPillow posted:

Konpeki Plaza is on the Arasaka Waterfront and has close ties to Arasaka. pretty sure Arasaka owns Konpeki.

also thinking on this more, every time t-bug makes an appearance they hammer home how well-prepared and how skilled she always is. so her getting taken totally off-guard and killed by ICE is a clear indication that something unusual was going on in the net. I think Jackie even comments to that effect as you're escaping if I recall correctly. so I'm even more confident now when I say I think it was supposed to be foreshadowing for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Donnerberg posted:

You can escape the lockdown.

I don't know how hard it is, because I got lucky on my first try. The message to turn back popped up, but nothing happened. I thought it was meant to be possibly until they warped me back on another try. You can fast travel outside the district once you've gone out of it once though. Just pointing it out in case you want to look for sequence breaks.

Do you remember where you broke through? That'd be a pretty good thing to try and clear even more poo poo before doing the heist. Every area I encountered the lockdown barrier would just warp me back

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wish they would stop using the yellow/blue dialog options, because I end up selecting all the blue dialog options before the yellow one, just to see what they say about, even if it's something I don't think my V would have really said. But because I know they are without consequences...
Something to learn from Disco Elysium, where I really thought what to pick each time.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 25, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you remember where you broke through? That'd be a pretty good thing to try and clear even more poo poo before doing the heist. Every area I encountered the lockdown barrier would just warp me back

I'll look for it now. I only remember going up a windy hill road right after getting the turn-back message.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
T bug isn't that pretty typical for netrunners that get compromised in the setting? I wouldn't think that they'd be using soulkiller on just any intruder

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Hot take: we need more diversity in mainstream RPGs and anything not like GTA, Fallout, and the usual D&D fantasy archetype worship is worth exploring conceptually and promoting even if it’s Not a Great Game in order to inspire future developers and publishers to try something new even if it may not be the best idea on a purely financial basis.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

This level of pointless exaggeration is just kinda sad, it's Christmas man go find something that makes you happy.

posting about cyberpunk makes me happy, bud. sorry it makes you sad on christmas

thats not an exageration at all, levels and gear dont make an rpg. even CoD has dialogue choices now, that doesn't make CoD an RPG.

and its not trying to be one either, its fairly clear that an earlier version of the game was more RPG-like where you could make your own V and possibly even side with various factions but thats not what they ended up with.
i dont think its controversial to say the cyberpunk we got isnt in the same genre as new vegas or vampire or what have you, first person CRPGs if you wanna get even more genre specific

i still enjoyed it alright enough as an action shoot n loot

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

posting about cyberpunk makes me happy, bud. sorry it makes you sad on christmas

thats not an exageration at all, levels and gear dont make an rpg. even CoD has dialogue choices now, that doesn't make CoD an RPG.

and its not trying to be one either, its fairly clear that an earlier version of the game was more RPG-like where you could make your own V and possibly even side with various factions but thats not what they ended up with.
i dont think its controversial to say the cyberpunk we got isnt in the same genre as new vegas or vampire or what have you, first person CRPGs if you wanna get even more genre specific

i still enjoyed it alright enough as an action shoot n loot

Define what an RPG is for me, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ha ha ha ha lmao oh my god I ran the Takemura Parade like 25 hours and probably 30 missions ago and just ran back into the abandoned apartment building to explore and all the corpses i didnt loot are still here and so are the 6 or so Arasaka security officers I didn’t kill and they are still here looking for me! What the gently caress lol this mission never got the memo that I beat it!