Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Back when I started playing Skaven were the kind of rando army that would spend the first half of the game gradually killing their own wizards and warmachines, supported by numerous blocks that would melt as soon as they got into combat. Though, so slow to play often you wouldn't actually have time to play out the combats, disappointingly.

When I stopped playing they now had templates and automatic hits that were so big and powerful that it barely mattered if they rolled badly, they'd still delete units, along with the single most powerful model in the whole game, which if I remember correctly got stronger sometimes when it misfired. Whattagame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

It feels like they were designed as the "fun" faction which to GW usually means "lots of random mechanics where the deck is stacked against you and youll roll bad results more often than good ones" like how Chaos used to play in older editions. Some people find that fun but its undeniably frustrating to most. There should be ways to do it without crippling the player.

In the greenskin lines for both games it feels like there's a strong "aaaaaah, why you carin' about winnin' and losin'? You're playing Orcs/Goblins/etc!" undercurrent, so they can be 'wacky.'

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There's probably two ways to do it:
  • The Skaven way, where the benefits are powerful and somewhat guaranteed to go off, making the gamble of losing units more attractive.
  • Making it so the worst thing that can happen is basically nothing.

The second one is... basically every roll in the game, so it's not particularly interesting in terms of flavor. But the idea is to avoid rolling for lovely outcomes, like old Orcs with animosity. It's better to roll for something exciting or powerful even if there's a downside. Gloomspite could take a few pages from Skaven for sure.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Reading about how the Skaven were and after watching some old Fantasy battles on YouTube, now I'm glad I didn't play WHFB at all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Talas posted:

Reading about how the Skaven were and after watching some old Fantasy battles on YouTube, now I'm glad I didn't play WHFB at all.

I spent more time playing Skaven in WHFB than the rest of my GW related experience combined, and you are wiser than I ever was.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
imo, the only bad mechanic skaven had in WHFB was the LD10 blocks of stubborn slaves

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The only mechanic I remember chaos having that was lol random in WHFB was one spell that on a 1 the character turns into a chaos spawn. I won a tournament game once thanks to my opponent casting that spell.

I guess chaos spawns in general were kinda silly.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Skaven were alot more interesting in 6th edition with the whole MSU thing they had going. Lots of minimum sized units clanrats, slaves and giant rats with shitloads of nightrunners skirmishing around

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

LightReaper posted:

You mispelled Beasts of Chaos/Sylvaneth

Looks at my 8,000 points of painted Beasts of Chaos and Sylvaneth...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm considering being a massive idiot and getting into Age Of Sigmar

Sky Dwarfs seem pretty cool, how do they play in the game?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Yeast posted:

Sky Dwarfs seem pretty cool, how do they play in the game?
KO are top meta at the moment with position-heavy hit and run tactics. Basically, they fly around the map straight to the objectives, shoot things to death, and then they fly again if needed. Weak against melee, but you are playing to not get caught. Ships look awesome on the table.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
they're not great at melee but being able to fight out of skyships is a real neat gimmick I kinda wish they'd port over to 40k orkz and dark eldar.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah as a Drukhari player in 40k it kinda bums me out to see our (current) wet fart of a playstyle is so dominant in AoS - wish we could just find a way to raid the mortal realms lol.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/25/christmas-preview-hedonites-habits-and-hekatarii/

As a christmas treat they dropped off a whole bunch of images of the new Hedonite models.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/25/christmas-preview-hedonites-habits-and-hekatarii/

As a christmas treat they dropped off a whole bunch of images of the new Hedonite models.

gently caress they made those stupid dino anteaters look cool

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

drat, I love the archers. They look suggestive enough without being fully naked.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think these Slaanesh models might be my favorite in the whole AoS range

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That’s a nice big, uh, spiky stick you’ve got there.

All those models look great.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Every release for this game this year has been really great, imo.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Every release for this game this year has been really great, imo.
It's like the AoS designers sucked the creativity out of the 40k side of GW.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if they went over there just so they didn't have to do another couple of hundred more Marine models and left that to the new people to cut their teeth on as an entry test.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Talas posted:

It's like the AoS designers sucked the creativity out of the 40k side of GW.

Even during the early days of AoS when it was a running joke in the hobby, I remember a lot of models getting used in 40k because they were better in a lot of ways.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I still have a bunch of Stormcast partially converted into Marines that I picked at the FGLS when someone dumped a bunch of stuff there as they were moving elsewhere. Need to finish them someday.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I got some cow elves for christmas and I love 'em, even their comically oversized cow hats.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I got some cow elves for christmas and I love 'em, even their comically oversized cow hats.
Awesome, I got a Kharadron Overlords battleforce plus Jakkob Bugmansson, or should I say, Admiral Jakkob Bugmansson XI of the Flying Brewing Co.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dreylad posted:

Anyone who doesnt use the hats is a coward imo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While silly the hats have grown on me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Talas posted:

Awesome, I got a Kharadron Overlords battleforce plus Jakkob Bugmansson, or should I say, Admiral Jakkob Bugmansson XI of the Flying Brewing Co.

Oh nice. The whole Kharadron range is really cool, and I've seen people itt and in the painting thread come up with some great schemes.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

More Old World, this time is Bretonnia:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/28/the-old-world-your-first-look-at-the-map-of-bretonnia/

If the game has the same scale, I may just want those minis to play a Cities of Sigmar army.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Crossing my fingers as hard as possible for the return of tomb kings

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All I'm hoping for is, if it's in the same scale as AoS, regular arrowboys so I can use them in Big Waaagh as proxies for savage arrowboys.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Is there something like dark crusade for sigmar? Like firestorm but 2.0

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Is there something like dark crusade for sigmar? Like firestorm but 2.0
There was a campaign map in one of the recent White Dwarfs but nothing like Firestorm yet.

I was part of a Firestorm campaign at the start of 2020, we had four armies: OBR, Tzeentch, Gloomspite, and Ironjawz. It was working pretty well with 2.0 rules until COVID hit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/01/new-year-preview-sample-the-decadent-delights-2021-has-in-store/

That thing is ridiculous. Rad but ridiculous at the same time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is that a slaaneshi sigmarine?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Honestly thought it was going to be more ridiculous, as is I'm a resounded "meh" on it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also in that video: more Lumineth and maybe a reimagined witch hunter?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Anno posted:

Also in that video: more Lumineth and maybe a reimagined witch hunter?

Looks like possibly two Lumineth heroes that may have got cut from the first release: a mage riding a nimbus, and some kind of mounted hero on a camelid looking mount with some kind of sun symbol.

I know there are plenty of other army ranges that desperately need new releases but the Lumineth army was missing a non-Eltharion generic combat hero so this is nice. Also if the wind mage is from a different temple possibly another magic lore because why not.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And Son Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I want those new Lumineths right now! I'm definitely going to paint that cloud yellow :goku:

I wonder if the mounts are camels or maybe chocobos...