Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

in the opening scene of Wonder Woman a guy leaving a heist drops his gun in a mall, and everyone in the crowd yells "gun" and runs away. No one in the mall knew the heist was happening, they just see a gun and panic.

I know gun laws have mostly gotten less strict since the 1980s, so modern day standards may not apply. However, if I saw a man in the US drop his gun, I'd think he's a dangerous idiot, but not a murderer.

The more I think about this movie the more dumb poo poo I remember. I literally watched it a few hours ago, but it feels like an old fever dream.

Tubgoat posted:

The singular of codices is codex. :eng101:

the Mayans loved playing Warhammer 40k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Atrocious Joe posted:

Mayans probaby had a different word, possibly overlapping with the English 'tome.'

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Atrocious Joe posted:

in the opening scene of Wonder Woman a guy leaving a heist drops his gun in a mall, and everyone in the crowd yells "gun" and runs away. No one in the mall knew the heist was happening, they just see a gun and panic.

I know gun laws have mostly gotten less strict since the 1980s, so modern day standards may not apply. However, if I saw a man in the US drop his gun, I'd think he's a dangerous idiot, but not a murderer.

The more I think about this movie the more dumb poo poo I remember. I literally watched it a few hours ago, but it feels like an old fever dream.

i'd probably be too self absorbed to really comprehend that anyone dropped anything, much less a gun. if i saw it my first thought would probably be "lmao at this open carry dweeb."

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

KomradeX posted:

At somepoint in the last 20 years every Christmas movie became that.

Like what's the last good Christmas movie made before they all became RomComs? Elf?

KLAUS legitimately deserves a Criterion release

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Rewatching Enemy of the State for the first time in ages and I forgot it takes place during Christmas

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it doesnt just take place during christmas half of a critical plot point hinges on it being christmas in order for the story to make sense

the funny part is that the other half of that plot point hinges on turbografx hucards having a similar format to a kind of video card that was used at the time which is such an outrageously specific detail i can only assume they actually researched video game cartridges and video cards to find two that could be plausibly confused for one another

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreylad posted:

it's still good

It is, on my yearly rotation of movies to watch around Christmas

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

:shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The original Scream owns because it was a seasoned director mocking the genre he loved. Pity no one else in the industry got the joke.

New Nightmare is alright, but it's definitely Wes hamming it up for the sake of finally being able to ham it up himself

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao hollywood is a psyop

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1342680937847533568

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342699473919746050

war crimes good dot mp4

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-UDMMHG_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BvLbnUKdo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That this is taking place in Egypt, in Cario of all places with a guy who acts like a Gulf State prince. That while section of the movie was a huge waste.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao it gets worse

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342700707737169920

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342714905351352325

this really was nothing more than an IDF propaganda flick to justify biden signing off on the genocide of palestine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The streaming model is lifting the veil from these lovely blockbusters because you can pause them at any time and evaluate the film on its merits as soon as you're watching it

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

lmao

:stonk:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Captain Marvel was mediocre and just advertisement for the Air Force with a girl power movie but holy poo poo WW84 takes the cake.

Can't wait for Patty Jenkin's 'Rogue Squadron' where Rogue Squadron deploys Y-Wings to bomb Space Palestine for a good cause.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Can't wait for Patty Jenkin's 'Rogue Squadron' where Rogue Squadron deploys Y-Wings to bomb Space Palestine for a good cause.

the whole announcement video was her talking about being inspired by her Vietnam vet pilot father, so bombing innocent civilians was baked into the premise already

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
it's funny how if you invert situations completely israel is the good guy. it's like a whitest kids u know sketch (warning: 2009 sketch humour, notably a baby rape joke).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jyhadscientist/status/1342617141686784004?s=19

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Elizabeth Taylor was white.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

comics are pretty popular

just not american crap, but instead japanese crap that at least isn't recycling 20 or so characters who were old when our grandparents were children

oh boy can't wait to read another comic about a highschooler fighting demons while his double d 16 year old female friend stands awkwardly so coomers can get a panty shot

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Dec 26, 2020

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
This sexually suggestive little girl is acually a thousand year old Vampire!

Miyazaki was right. Anime was a mistake!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

oh boy can't wait to read another comic about a highschooler fighting demons while his double d 16 year old female friend stands awkwardly so coomers can get a panty shot

manga isn't always about that

sometimes it's zombies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Jeep posted:

Comic books hit this level of pandering and formulaic 30 years ago mind

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comic books hit this level of pandering and formulaic 30 years ago mind

comic books also in practice refer exclusively to superhero poo poo (and again literally the same core cast). as opposed to "does it go in bss" which is broader than the general definition

like goon touchstone calvin and hobbies? not a comic for these purposes. webcomics? nah. graphic novels covers anything that isn't superheroes, as well as superhero anthologies. gently caress, more people probably read archie at this point than any of this but no one is interested in breaking into that market

whereas there are manga about wine tasting and sports

but comic books means superheroes in practice, which as allen moore pointed out, are largely inspired by birth of a nation (this doesn't really give superman due credit tbf). its a genre where the corpses of actual creativity, some as old as mickey mouse, are paraded around by copyright holders and 40 year olds who never finished puberty, with an actual medium sort of tied on as an afterthought

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Dec 26, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tokyo Godfathers (2003) is the last good Chrimbo film I can remember

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
So is Kristen Wiig in Wonder Woman just the exact same character as Jim Carrey in Batman Forever and Jamie Fox in Spiderman?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I like how all the clips have been hit with takedowns

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im trying to remember how long it took us to get clips with normal theatrical releases like im pretty positive we got cats clips right away and legally speaking its a pretty straightforward case of fair use

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I like the Gal Gadot story where she goes to Jeffrey Katzenberg asking for a meaty, socially impactful role and he crushes her spirit by offering Fonda-style workout vids on Quibi

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Fleetwood posted:

I like the Gal Gadot story where she goes to Jeffrey Katzenberg asking for a meaty, socially impactful role and he crushes her spirit by offering Fonda-style workout vids on Quibi

Even Jenkem Uygur got better deal from Katzenberg than that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about 20 minutes into WW1984 and the movie is loving excruciating

The childhood interlude makes no sense, and it leans way too hard into liberal feminism

gently caress it, call me a chud if I think all the winks to "hah women were wallflowers in the 80s amirite" is over the top but goddamn its so tedious

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

The childhood interlude makes no sense, and it leans way too hard into liberal feminism

gently caress it, call me a chud if I think all the winks to "hah women were wallflowers in the 80s amirite" is over the top but goddamn its so tedious

I got to about 25 minutes in and gave up and found out black dynamite was on prime. I'd never seen it and was laughing happily right away; michael jai white with no money for a movie did ten times the action comedy that WW84 tried to do

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

gradenko_2000 posted:

The original WW film got a lot of praise for being fresh, but to my eye, it was a decent or maybe above average rendition of the same old superhero formulae. The sole novelty to it was that it was female lead. And it's even worse in some sense because Diana is literally an ubermensch, born into her gifts. When she's fighting in France, I kept wondering why she needed a team of sidekicks. She's so overpowered, she could solve the whole plot by herself.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

In not awful comics news, my rad wife got me a big ol' compendium of comics by early 20th century artists Art Young and holy poo poo this dude was CSPAM as hell

Anyway the book itself mentions he's been mostly buried by the system (the book I have was published in 2017 and was the first collection of his work released since 1936) and the dude absolutely rules. You can find some of his stuff here and apparently his book Inferno (where so many capitalists end up in hell they take the place over) was put back in print in the past couple years, so I need to get that. A pro read for sure.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

why is the star wars account tweeting this, am i having a stroke

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lady Militant posted:

why is the star wars account tweeting this, am i having a stroke

Because Lucasfilms is the vibrating buttplug in the insatiable rear end of Disney. Wedged inside also is Marvel and Pixar is just prairie doggin' to the rhythm of Capital's orgasmic contractions.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
gal gadot isn't even that hot why does she get cast in everything as "Epic hot women"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

lmao