Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artelier posted:

Oh I haven't done that, because once the game got going I set this character to be the one to live as themselves. I'll still keep the save to see how it goes but I've started a new character to go for the other ending.

What I meant was The rogue ending. But where Johnny sacrifices himself and V lives on as V. But not by doing it with the Aldecados or with Arasaka. There's like 4 endings (and a few ways to get to them) So "live as yourself" changes depending upon how you got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

In the Johnny/Rogue ending your love interest always breaks up with you no matter what so that's somewhat disappointing.

Agreed, based on the conversation and my character I had I choose Fame over Panam based on my character, with the idea that we'd still be together as long as I didn't die so we could always go hook up in the desert later. (but maybe I die in this mission, which, maybe gently caress it, so many of my friends have already died so I kinda wanna just blaze out)

But then I loaded the save and replayed it and realized that's the only real option and there's not a way to choose to leave with your lover which is super weaksauce. Should have been a final choice to leave your apartment with them instead of going to Afterlife.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
And still that's not to say I haven't had an overall good time with the game. Too bad it's just a missed opportunity after missed opportunity. So much legitimately good poo poo just to kind of fall flat on it's face or rear end in other respects. I can get similar "this could have been better" feelings with most games because that's natural but the differences with CP2077 have been way more extreme.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It doesn't even make sense for the game to frame the end choices that way because you don't know if the Nomads are going to survive the assault on Arasaka and if you really liked Panam then you wouldn't want to risk her life, either. Yet this is somehow the glory hound option?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't even make sense for the game to frame the end choices that way because you don't know if the Nomads are going to survive the assault on Arasaka and if you really liked Panam then you wouldn't want to risk her life, either. Yet this is somehow the glory hound option?

I can see where the "this game has no meaningful choices" criticism comes from. You have choice over your initial actions sure but the game just kind of takes over for you then and explains to you "well, here's where that lead to" with no input from you even if there could have been a lot of input to be given.

You can explain that away with "no time to implement" I guess but then it just circles back again to the argument where the game was kneecapped by it's management/investors/whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jeff Fatwood posted:

And still that's not to say I haven't had an overall good time with the game. Too bad it's just a missed opportunity after missed opportunity. So much legitimately good poo poo just to kind of fall flat on it's face or rear end in other respects. I can get similar "this could have been better" feelings with most games because that's natural but the differences with CP2077 have been way more extreme.

I think what makes my feelings more ambivalent here than with other games is that the storytelling and characters are really really great, as long as you don't try to poke too much around the edges or peer a little bit beyond the one intended track the developers want you to take. Once you do, the limitations and glaring problems on both the technical and roleplaying level come into stark relief. Yet the game seemingly invites you to do this constantly with its open world design and dialogue choices that ultimately don't amount to anything. So when things fail to pay off in some appreciable way, it feels kind of like a wasted effort.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I just used a mouse macro to craft 200 frag grenades one at a time while in the shower because craft> Set amount > 200 was too much to ask for.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Gaming moment of the year?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jeff Fatwood posted:

If that's true then that's a real drat shame. I like Keanu/Johnny but I would have traded his part for more coherence and not just getting 90% of the cast from the first third of the game unceremoniously dumped. Especially because the Johnny's past stuff just got in the way on my second playthrough. Hopefully mods can make them skippable.

I'm not sure the place that the story was going without Johnny was very good, to be honest. It's definitely more 'sci-fi', but because the game doesn't really have much for actual netrunning, a cyberspace-centric plot would fall incredibly flat. I thought it was a pretty reasonable choice to be more basic and Keanu-centric, but it does make Act 1 feel disjointed from the rest for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah If you pick Arasaka or Johnny then both ways Panam is pretty loving pissed at you for not involving her, which, fair enough that's kinda cool as a character's take, but the flipside is how many Aldecados do you think would survive a 'Saka raid?! Its totally the selfless thing to not involve them. And then if you play the Panam ending you end up seeing that they lose quite a few members in the raid, proving it true.

Anyways it worked fine for my character as a Street Kid start and playing most of the game on a total revenge kick rampage, but yeah, that seems a little awkward.

I do like though how all endings involve some character being upset with you, no matter what. Takemura hates your loving guts if you do anything other than the Arasaka ending, assuming he's still alive. Panam's upset if you don't pick the Aldecados, although if you romanced her then she's still sleeping with you in the high-rise apartment in the Johnny ending. I think she was pretty furious with me with the Araska ending too. The suicide ending has everybody hating you for not involving them, even though it probably means they'd get killed too.

Another thing that doesn't really make sense is If you go with Panam to the linkup, but then have V sacrifice himself and Johnny live, the ending still has Johnny waking up in a motel long after and Panam threatening to hunt him down and kill his guts. But you'd think if she was actually IN THE ROOM when he came to, she'd realize its not V and beat the poo poo out of him right then and there. Why let him go? I guess the idea is he fights her off or she's not sure if its V or not and is hopeful and he takes advantage to run or something, but hmmm

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 26, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

This felt super lame to me because I originally chose to work with Johnny/Rogue because it seemed like V herself was on the verge of death + I really agreed with Johnny's principles and wanted to take down Arasaka. But like you said this was suddenly portrayed as some fame-seeking ploy. Also I guess it doesn't matter how much time you spend convincing Judy to stay in Night City, she peaces no matter what dialogue options you choose. Everything about that epilogue felt off, like it was written by somebody else.

The Sun Ending spoilers:

I think that is left in the interim. Basically, V knows she has six months left and is trying to destroy herself to put distance between her loved one, get killed before the stuff kills her, and as a desperate attempt to avoid mortality by becoming a legend in Night City. A Homeric trope. She's an addict either trying to self-medicate, self-destruct, or both by edgerunning until the job burns her. The ending's use of the word Glory is not as a good thing; Glory is V's drug of choice as she crumbles under existential dread of her mortality.

Edit:

Interestingly, Panam was not mad with me, but I hadn't completed her quests. Instead, her voicemail is her sounding desperate, still not fully rejoined with the Aldecados, somewhat embarrassedly asking for work. I had saved Silas though and he reached out to say I was welcome to roll with the Aldecados, which is an even more tragic implication that I may be more welcome than Panam.

piL fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 26, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

piL posted:

The Sun Ending spoilers:

I think that is left in the interim. Basically, V knows she has six months left and is trying to destroy herself to put distance between her loved one, get killed before the stuff kills her, and as a desperate attempt to avoid mortality by becoming a legend in Night City. A Homeric trope. She's an addict either trying to self-medicate, self-destruct, or both by edgerunning until the job burns her. The ending's use of the word Glory is not as a good thing; Glory is V's drug of choice as she crumbles under existential dread of her mortality.

Yeah, the problem is that's totally not how the end choice is framed on the balcony though.

V is on the verge of falling apart, her only chance for getting into Arasaka Tower might be ceding control to Johnny so that he can take over, involving the Nomads instead of a professional like Rogue might get a lot of people killed. Having imperfect knowledge of the situation, my thinking in that moment is "I don't want Panam to get killed, and I might not last long enough to jack into Mikoshi." These are the stakes that the game repeatedly sets up for making that decision, and at no point does your desire for fame factor into that choice. The "blaze of glory" ending is really only thematically appropriate if you take the secret ending with Johnny. Again, it feels like incomplete writing, where the developers wanted the player to go along a predetermined track but weren't really cognizant of the other ways in which people would arrive at the same decision.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i never thought id go shiny

but my gently caress am i shiny now

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I got 20 something emails from people offering me to sell cars within the first 15 minutes of act 2. The game already gave me a bike. I don't need any cars unless one of them can fly.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

piL posted:

The Sun Ending spoilers:

Well summarized.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, the problem is that's totally not how the end choice is framed on the balcony though.

Exactly. You can't logic your way in to the endings the game shows you just by the information presented to you before the choice and that lead to feelings of betrayal more than anything else.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

V is only as interesting as the things you make them say, I guess, but I never felt like V was a blank slate the way I always felt Commander Shepherd was. Hes very charming and wry, deeply sarcastic, but extremely sensitive and empathetic. His Corpo background means that he is smarter than most of the people around him, which lets his hubris catch up to them and fucks him over. He and Johnny start to see eye to eye after hating each others guts.

I dunno maybe this all gets dumpstered by the endings but V is a very well fleshed out guy and Im excited to see how Lady Vs line reads change the tone.

Like the interplay between Male V and Judy is my favorite, a purely platonic male/female relationship is a rare thing in a game!

I'm gonna quote this from many pages behind since I feel like you nailed my thoughts about V as well. He has somewhat subscribed into the whole "burn bright then fade away" mindset but I'm not sure if he even believes it himself. At first I was a bit annoyed you can't romance Judy, but the interactions and quests with her are really good with "just" a friend V as well.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Panzeh posted:

I'm not sure the place that the story was going without Johnny was very good, to be honest. It's definitely more 'sci-fi', but because the game doesn't really have much for actual netrunning, a cyberspace-centric plot would fall incredibly flat. I thought it was a pretty reasonable choice to be more basic and Keanu-centric, but it does make Act 1 feel disjointed from the rest for it.

If my speculation is accurate they would have had more time to flesh out netrunning and other little things in the game if they had kept on with it looks like they were originally going for.

But who knows. Might just be seeing the ghost of a story that was when really it was just poorly managed and stuff just got cut for time or edited out for clarity.

Dec 25, 2020

Jeff Fatwood posted:

If that's true then that's a real drat shame. I like Keanu/Johnny but I would have traded his part for more coherence and not just getting 90% of the cast from the first third of the game unceremoniously dumped. Especially because the Johnny's past stuff just got in the way on my second playthrough. Hopefully mods can make them skippable.

personally Johnny Silverhand has been one of my favorite fictional characters since the mid-90's so I'm totally on board with the direction they went

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Katt posted:

I just used a mouse macro to craft 200 frag grenades one at a time while in the shower because craft> Set amount > 200 was too much to ask for.

Why would you want to craft 200 grenades? There are more valuable objects to grind crafting.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i never thought id go shiny

but my gently caress am i shiny now

The game nails shiny clothes really well.

Too bad about the stupid loving armor system that's tacked on with it lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would you want to craft 200 grenades? There are more valuable objects to grind crafting.

Why would they set up a keyboard macro to run in the shower (I presume using a keyboard means they're on a computer) when they can just enable the dev console and add 200 grenades or whatever number of thing they're hoping to get from 200 grenades.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would you want to craft 200 grenades?

:chloe:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Age of Decadence

I'll say right now that this is a fantastic game despite looking like it came out in the 90's/early 2000's. Because it was. It started development in 2004, got Steam early access in 2013 and was finished in 2015. The development cycle was extremely long for an indie title.

Age of Decadence is punishing as gently caress, but the sheer amount of agency you have within the game is massive. It is definitely not a power fantasy though. You are not maxing out 9999 damage with 20 hit omnislash at any time. Going up against more than one enemy at a time is extremely difficult because you only control yourself, the single character. And if you are not specced for combat and continually keep killing people for combat XP (there's combat and non-combat xp, basically) you will lose. Though if you're really good at killing people, you get a reputation for murder and people frequently will not want to fight you. But if you play a dumbass brute, you will miss out on a ton of poo poo because the game is extremely replayable due to how you create your character. Luckily, you can avoid combat completely in this game. Combat is basically optional depending on your path and how you spec your character. But if you like combat, well, there's a shitload of it.

The game is extremely well done for what it is and the story is excellent. And no matter what kind of character you play, you will not understand everything on your first playthrough or see everything. You'll need several playthroughs to grasp everything. It's basically a fantasy/science fiction novel.

The new game that they're coming out with in Fall 2021 is Colony Ship and it's the story of a Christian Colony Ship which is on its way to another star, but you'll never make it there because you're moving slow. The ship might, but you'll grow old and die on the way out from Earth and to Proxima Centauri, an unlucky person born literally between stars. Also the ship is not only physically falling apart because it's old, but culturally falling apart. Christianity has heavily degenerated and factionalized and have begun fighting and killing each other after a coup of the old government, which if you understand the history of Christianity, that they would factoinalize and feud totally tracks. And now that the old order is over, a lot of people are trying to break away from the Christian context.

If you've ever read Heinlein's "Orphans of the Sky" it's basically an updated story, though it's basically a story that has degenerated from hard science fiction to cyberpunk, at least from the demo. People are living on a generation ship, have never seen the world they've come from nor do they understand where they're going. The ship is falling apart, they don't know how to operate it and they've been reduced to scavenging the ship that they depend on to survive for parts, their sense of history is shaky at best and blended with Christian mysticism, technology has degraded and everyone is fighting or at least trying not to get killed. And your average gun may be hundreds of years old.

I absolutely love Age of Decadence even though it was janky because it was basically a novel with game mechanics strapped on. Most of the years that they worked on the game though was creating the engine. Now that it's done they're putting out a new one and I'm very excited to pick up Colony Ship when it comes out.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 26, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When Johhny gives you a tattoo it doesn't show up at all. Was it a bug just on my end or did they not bother putting any unique visuals for the hand augs at all?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

V is on the verge of falling apart, her only chance for getting into Arasaka Tower might be ceding control to Johnny so that he can take over, involving the Nomads instead of a professional like Rogue might get a lot of people killed. Having imperfect knowledge of the situation, my thinking in that moment is "I don't want Panam to get killed, and I might not last long enough to jack into Mikoshi." These are the stakes that the game repeatedly sets up for making that decision, and at no point does your desire for fame factor into that choice. The "blaze of glory" ending is really only thematically appropriate if you take the secret ending with Johnny. Again, it feels like incomplete writing, where the developers wanted the player to go along a predetermined track but weren't really cognizant of the other ways in which people would arrive at the same decision.

My read of it was that the decision to go out in a 'blaze of glory' didn't take place until months later with you as Rogue's replacement at the Afterlife and your partner (in my case, it was Judy) saying 'hey I can't stay in Night City any more and you--your closed off to me and are running off on your missions'. You don't stop her, why don't you stop her? Because you're going to die.

I think if they didn't call the ending Blaze of Glory, it wouldn't read to you that it was the end characters goal. I think the big difference in our reads is that I felt that the epilogue isn't the main character achieving their aims, but is the tragic outcome of the main character having achieved their aims at a cost. I think what you want is that the outcome should be tied to the characters aim, and while it's there and very passionate, its also very brief. You experience it at its full white hot tilt as you're screaming or crying at Johnny as he decides whether to end you or himself. But then thats that, a split second, then a few minutes of the next six months.

I think your dissatisfaction is legitimate here, but the source inappropriately assigned. First, you're not given much choice after there and so suddenly your game is a movie. Second there's not enough time to really sit comfortably in that moment and process. A 2 minute climax and a five minute epilogue is short by 120min film standards--you've just spent 40 hours with this story. The ending comes, perhaps, too swiftly to rid you of your expectation of reward.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's still a dissatisfying epilogue to me because it doesn't really logically follow from the Johnny/Rogue decision any more than going with the Nomads. It's evident that the game itself wants to suggest that, but the conditions they set up for making that choice are irrelevant. It's just "well we decided you should get this ending based on this heretofore unrelated decision with completely different stakes" and it doesn't track well to any one outcome. The epilogue could be "and V sprouted unicorn wings and flew off into the sunset" for how much they correlate.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

When Johhny gives you a tattoo it doesn't show up at all. Was it a bug just on my end or did they not bother putting any unique visuals for the hand augs at all?

I choose the "other" tattoo and woke up with an arm that had Johnny in a heart with an arrow through it.

The slightly weird part is that it switches out your hand cyberware and I had to reinstall my smart link.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Well summarized.

Exactly. You can't logic your way in to the endings the game shows you just by the information presented to you before the choice and that lead to feelings of betrayal more than anything else.

Thank you. I think I'm fine with the sense of betrayal, because I always felt that William Gibson had a habit of leaving me feeling betrayed without really understanding who did it. Wintermute, Hideo, and 3Jane never sought Case out, just did with him what was appropriate to each at the time. Maybe it was Armitage for getting him into this mess, but if he didn't, Case would still be a burnt out grifter. This isnt failing to pay tribute to Poseidon or disrespecting a temple to Apollo; its not being stabbed in the back by a lover or a family. This isnt even hubris or a failure to provide hospitality. Case and V and even Hanako and Takemura are all bits of sand passing through gears of machines much larger than themselves and the stories can help you build a worldview that acknowledges these conditions instead of disguising them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, the most infuriating part of the game, to me personally, was all the goddamn calls you get from random fixers you never talked to, with the button prompt to Answer, implying that you have a choice to not answer them. Except you don't have that choice.

It's a great representation of the whole game, now that I think about it.

Dec 25, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

It might be because of an oversight, but there are some grenade specs that can be deconstructed for more components than are needed to craft them. Or maybe not necessarily more, but they can be deconstructed for epic components when they only require uncommon ones to make, effectively letting you upgrade components long before gaining the actual skill to do that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Qmass posted:

Gaming moment of the year?

A story in 3 pictures

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 27, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

I have enough mats to craft 600. I spam them to level engineering and uncommon frag grenades stick to surfaces (and people) and have a long enough fuse to place 3 and when they explode together they wipe out everything in range. Kind of fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My experience with grenades is that they vaguely annoy everyone within range.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

My experience with grenades is that they vaguely annoy everyone within range.

Put some points into engineering and even the basic frag grenades become weapons of mass destruction. They are seriously powerful even on hard.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Watched a streamer friendzone Judy despite being given three dialog options in a row to reconsider. He had "so many other missions to do right now!".

Ugh. Just the worst.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Put some points into engineering and even the basic frag grenades become weapons of mass destruction. They are seriously powerful even on hard.

Yes. I love grenades.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

In most games I forget I have grenades. But in Cyberpunk I spam them like crazy, helps that there's a grenade button, the fact they're craftable and you can carry alot of them.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Has anyone else had a bug where the game thinks you're stuck in a scene, so takes away all your options (can't pull out weapons etc)? If so, did you fix it? I got a decent chunk in and this has not only bricked my current saves but retroactively got all of my previous saves for this character too, which is pretty aggravating.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You gotta pay hourly (or a club membership) to have the music pipped to your audio implants.

I'm kidding, but in that kinda future I could totally see it.

Future?

Also I have cochlear implant and my form of listening to music is a wireless audio broadcaster always connected to my PC aux port. I can use a remote or hold down on a button on my hearing devices and it connects and I can hear everything wirelessly.

I think certain sounds not working in the game is due to Nvidia Broadcast though, enemy gun shots and environmental sounds don't work unless I close Nvidia Broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i havent beat the game and am trying to avoid specifics about the endings, but is it true that for a specific, hard-to-get ending, that you need to pick exactly some weird set of dialogue choices with johnny when you're at his grave? some people seem to think its explicitly one permutation and other people seem to think that as long as you pick "the guy who saved my life" and get to 70% with him, you'll be fine