Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Just a general observation. Most Snyder people I see tend to be on twitter and a few of them outright dismiss folks bringing up Gal Gadot's service in the IDF by claiming she was just a fitness instructor, as if that's any kind of defense.

The only time you mention Twitter in your post is in regards to Taylor Swift. You should edit it to reflect your clarification or at least try and engage with the thread instead of bringing up the Twitter weirdos.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
WW84 was definitely uncomfortable for me politically and not very good generally IMO. For someone not in the know what's up with Patty Jenkins?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

Yeah I was so confused; it was like Jenkins was using that for temp music, and just kept it? Literally all I could think of is that Zimmer is using that for every flashback in the DCEU or something now.

The movie was just...there and uneven. Just like the first, there was like 1 good scene and the lead chemistry was fine, but eh.

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1342991922856558592

lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I don’t care about Gadot’s personal life, and Wonder Woman 2 looks like poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don’t care about Gadot’s personal life, and Wonder Woman 2 looks like poo poo.

B b b but you are DC/Snyder was producing!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ruddiger posted:

The only time you mention Twitter in your post is in regards to Taylor Swift. You should edit it to reflect your clarification or at least try and engage with the thread instead of bringing up the Twitter weirdos.

Don't worry about it.

What on earth were they doing with all that extra time? Movie was set to be released at the end of last year.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

her service in the IDF is kind of relevant considering the film recreates the murder of four kids by the IDF, except she's the good guy and saves them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Don't worry about it.

You should do the same. Twitter is not good for one’s mental health.

Anyways, 300 talk reminded me of this sweet little bit from Ebert’s review of the movie

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/300-2006

quote:

But to return to those muscles. Although real actors play the characters and their faces are convincing, I believe their bodies are almost entirely digital creations. They have Schwarzeneggerian biceps, and every last one of them, even the greybeards, wear well-defined six- packs on their abs. I can almost believe the star, Gerard Butler, may have been working out at Gold's Gym ever since he starred as the undernourished Phantom of the Opera, but not 300, 200 or even 100 extras. As a result, every single time I regarded the Spartans in a group, I realized I was seeing artistic renderings, not human beings.

Well, maybe that was the idea.

Maybe, Roger. Maybe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched it, I liked it. Pascal was super good.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Hodgepodge posted:

her service in the IDF is kind of relevant considering the film recreates the murder of four kids by the IDF, except she's the good guy and saves them.

Is this legit

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

At one point WW catches a ride on a missile to rescue a couple of Arab kids who are too distracted by their soccer game to get out of the way of a military convoy she's fighting. I don't actually think anyone was intentionally referencing that time the IDF shot a missile at children playing soccer on a Gaza beach, but it is closeish.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Patrick Spens posted:

At one point WW catches a ride on a missile to rescue a couple of Arab kids who are too distracted by their soccer game to get out of the way of a military convoy she's fighting. I don't actually think anyone was intentionally referencing that time the IDF shot a missile at children playing soccer on a Gaza beach, but it is closeish.

they sure pulled the clips fast for a nothingburger

the film also features an arab leader who wishes for his country back and all the colonizers gone. his wish is granted and the whole thing is surrounded by an impassible wall. this leads to bad things.

i'm not prepared to give this the benefit of the doubt

e: a surviving edit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LK_Compu...4widget%3DTweet

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 27, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
They wouldn't be DMCAing these clips if it weren't the case

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is this literally just Prosperity Gospel: The Movie

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
crossposting this nice summary from the cspam pop culture thread:

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's already been mentioned that that child rescue scene is an inversion and revision of history given that that was filmed at the same beach where the IDF murdered Palestinian children in real life, but then also there's:

* the Soviets launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US after detecting hundreds of new nukes popping up in their backyard - but this is framed as a consequence of the plot device, occluding the actual history that for decades the US actually did outnumber the USSR in nuclear weapons, at times by an order of magnitude

* the Egypt subplot has an Arab "emir" (that's on the True Lies-level of stereotype) using the McGuffin to trigger the creation of a gigantic wall around a depressed area of Cairo, sealing poor people off from their only source of freshwater. Again, an inversion of what Israel actually does to Palestine

* there's another scene where another Arab emissary claims that "the Soviets have sided with Iran. Iraq is preparing to defend herself as unrest spreads.". The Iran-Iraq War started four years after the date of the events of this movie, and it began WITH IRAQ INVADING IRAN

jesus loving christ this movie is shithole propaganda

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I'd rather have boring ol Beavis instead guys

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wouldn't the eventual elimination of that wall and resulting relief for the people regaining access to the water (and the city/country at large) be a rebuke of other countries' use of walls as population control?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Space Fish posted:

Wouldn't the eventual elimination of that wall and resulting relief for the people regaining access to the water (and the city/country at large) be a rebuke of other countries' use of walls as population control?

if the movie had jewish people in the 1930s conspire to put germans in concentration camps and then wonder women freed them, would that be a rebuke of genocide?

of course not. it would literally be nazi propaganda.

you can't just reverse the actors and moral culpability and pretend it's all okay. if i punch you and then write a story in which you punched me, i'm not rebuking the idea of violence, i'm blaming the victim.

e: although in this case it would be closer to the jewish people putting themselves in camps

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 27, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wonder Woman 1984

Writer: Not Zack Snyder
Story by: Not Zack Snyder
Director: Not Zack Snyder
Cinematography: Not Zack Snyder
Starring: Not Zack Snyder

Take this poo poo to the Pattydome.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Or in this case, Bialyan propaganda. What's their fictional track record on the world stage?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Wonder Woman 1984

Writer: Not Zack Snyder
Story by: Not Zack Snyder
Director: Not Zack Snyder
Cinematography: Not Zack Snyder
Starring: Not Zack Snyder

Take this poo poo to the Pattydome.

Produced by Zack Snyder

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Produced by Zack Snyder

1 of 16 producers, drat, you got him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Didn’t know I was getting him

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Didn’t know I was getting him

So why not mention the other 15 producers?

E: it’s really 16 producers including Deborah Snyder, and since this this is the Snyderdome I roller her into Zack’s involvement, but I’m acknowledging both of their involvement for the sake of transparency.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 27, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because I think it’s fair for people itt to discuss Wonder Woman 1984

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not a whole lotta discussion regarding producing among 16 others that I can see but keep believing the dream, friend.

E: at least teagone acknowledged Geoff John’s involvement, which is a lot more than I can say about the guy who erased Patty Jenkins role in the film.

E2: I’m not fixing the name misspelling because gently caress Geoff Johns. :colbert:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 27, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ReleaseTheJenkinsCut!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kind of agree that this shouldn't be treated as the DC Cinematic Universe Thread for DC Cinematic Universe Films Enjoyers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbot posted:

ReleaseTheJenkinsCut!

Release the Snyders' Cut

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nothing about the movie WW84 or the timeline under which it was made suggests Zack and Deborah’s credit is anything more than a carryover from casting Gal in the first place and introducing the character, and being involved in the development of the first one. The way Spielberg still gets credits on Transformers movies he clearly has had zero involvement with.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
this thread breaks out into dceu chat pretty frequently and even if we all drop it, it will do so again and you probably won't complain unless it rubs you the wrong way for whatever arbitrary reason it does this time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snyder is the grandaddy of the DCEU, as such, I think any DCEU film talk is fair game ITT imo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really enjoyed Zack Snyder’s Shazam, almost as much as George Lucas’ new show, the Mandalorian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Snyder is the grandaddy of the DCEU, as such, I think any DCEU film talk is fair game ITT imo.

Yep. Sorry but this is the rules.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Patty Jenkins isn’t a good director. I’ll say it

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

She said she wants to direct the next Superman film.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jimbot posted:

Speaking of which, judging from the WW84 thread, that film has the kind of overt politics youtube and twitter people thinks Zack Snyder and his films have.

That thread so far has very little actual criticism of the movie. Most of it is the usual confusion of characterization for plot holes, tactical realism about magic powers, this hilariously atrocious comic was much better, etc.

Granted, the politics do sound pretty bad, assuming those interpretations are accurate.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I wouldn’t say she’s bad, but based off this I can believe her having what I think of as the Schumacher Problem: the more money you give them and the less oversight, the more they indulge themselves, and the movie suffers for it. Sometimes it works out and people find an ironic appreciation, most of the time you go “oh right, they made that movie, I forgot it existed... I remember it kinda sucking now that you brought it up, though”.

Some people do more with less. Not everyone can squeeze a dollar onto the screen the way James Cameron does no matter how much you give him.

There used to be a bit more of a filtering system called the “mid budget movie” where directors could teeth themselves on bigger budgets without going “this is equivalent to having infinity dollars” compared to their last movie, but now that just seems equally likely to get you stuck on the Netflix hamster wheel.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

my criticism is it should have been gayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
She made one good movie in 2003 (monster, I guess), spent a decade on random tv show pilots and show running and then made Wonder Woman which was mid at best and even then that might be too much praise for that first movie. Just not an interesting director! This movie proved it to me.

E: by bad direction I mean bad direction. Dialogue scenes in the movie were just so wooden and boring, the action scenes all sucked and felt like they had no weight at all except for the one fight in the White House. Movie introduces so many characters and develops none of them.